Thread: Wonder No More: Wondering About '<RR' (or the lack thereof)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wonder No More: Wondering About '<RR' (or the lack thereof)

Not a complaint, just a question really...

Since the release of TF4.5, it appears all ground crew personnel at our bases have been on strike. This is understood to be due to the <rr scripts not being up to code (reasons?) with the new game version, of course.

Alas, this does have an impact on missions which is not merely trivial. This is true especially of the role played by the rear airfields, from which the more capable types can be spawned. The strategic choices concerning the use of those airfields is largely affected by the premise that each plane is good only for a 'single serving'.

With <rr available, the rear airbases offered a whole new element of gameplay. Pilots flying such 'top gear' out of places far from the action had a full understanding of the need to preserve their rides, at risk of great inconvenience should damage be sustained.

So I come to ask what I'm pretty sure many players have been wondering by now: What's the deal with <rr? Is there any estimation on how long the "crew strike" is gonna last? Just ballpark really. As in: is it gonna be a month, a year, a few minutes?

And just out of technical curiosity (I am a programmer after all, so I think a lot about this kinda stuff), what is it that prevents it from working? Is the underlying system inoperable? (as would require TF to address) Or is it a simpler case of the mission scripts not having been compiled against the newer build? Something else entirely maybe? Perhaps Gremlins?

Just looking to gain some insight on the situation at hand. But also use the opportunity to make it positively clear that this is indeed a feature which is currently longingly missed by us pilots, and would be greatly welcomed upon its return.

Just asking, rly...

Snapper edit: Team Fusion Simulations have restored RR and added some features! See bottom of this thread.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Oct-02-2019 at 06:41. Reason: Snapper added response to the OP
    Rule of thumb: Every '109 has a wingman...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Re: Wondering About '<RR' (or the lack thereof)

I heard a rumor that there are changes coming soon to 4.5 that will affect mission servers. My guess would be that the mission builders are waiting for this to happen before revisiting rearm & refuel functionality.

3. Likes TWC_NINja, Moach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have a feeling that a lot of our deficiencies stem from the changeover from 32 bit processing to 64 bit. I'm no programmer, but isn't this a formidable obstacle for TFS coders?
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-25-2018 at 10:55.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    I have a feeling that a lot of our deficiencies stem from the changeover from 32 bit processing to 64 bit. I'm no programmer, but isn't this a formidable obstacle for TFS coders?
    Not a formidable obstacle really... it's more of a nuisance and a general hassle.

I'm a programmer by trade, though not a part of TFS for availability reasons. I often do C# for a living, and it is mostly agnostic to 32 or 64 bit conditions, running well enough in either case.
    The big issue is that things which are compiled for 32 bits don't necessarily work right away with things compiled for 64. And vice versa.

What I most suspect to be the cause of the "ground crew strike" is that the scripts which do <rr were linked to the old version of the game and have not been rebuilt for the latest stuff.

It would make sense to wait for any soon-to-come major updates as well in that case, since it could very easily require compiling again any time a new version is released.

This is a symptom of a phenomenon generally known as "Dll Hell" - Which even though is largely one of the reasons why C# was invented in the first place, still continues to plague programmers all over the world.
    Rule of thumb: Every '109 has a wingman...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Maybe /rr is just not top priority for ...

...hmm who is responsible for /rr in the first place? ...

... its not purely TFS.

I guess you are getting the point.

John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

7. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

To clarify, RR is not a feature of TFS 4.5 & won't be a feature of TFS 4.53. It is not provided by TFS. It is solely a feature provided by courtesy of ATAG on their server.