Thread: 3D Modeling tools?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

3D Modeling tools?

Hi! I was just wondering what software would be appropriate for creating 3D models for a sim like Cliffs of Dover?

Autodesk kindly allows Students and Faculty members to down load a copy of their software for educational purposes. I've just registered and downloaded a copy of 3DStudio Max 2013 with the intent of learning a bit about the process.

Although I have some background in 3D CAD software like PTC Pro-desktop and Creo, 3D Studio Max is a completely different kettle of fish. (Hopefully I'll be able to make some time to get into it!)

What other software and utiliites would be useful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: 3D Modeling tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Skoshi_Tiger View Post
    Hi! I was just wondering what software would be appropriate for creating 3D models for a sim like Cliffs of Dover?

Autodesk kindly allows Students and Faculty members to down load a copy of their software for educational purposes. I've just registered and downloaded a copy of 3DStudio Max 2013 with the intent of learning a bit about the process.

Although I have some background in 3D CAD software like PTC Pro-desktop and Creo, 3D Studio Max is a completely different kettle of fish. (Hopefully I'll be able to make some time to get into it!)

What other software and utiliites would be useful?
    I would love to have MAX but I'm not a student or faculty member so until they allow downloads for hobby enthusiasts, is a no go.
    The open source alternative is Blender. Blender is very powerful (very close to MAX) but the learning curve is steep, however, the more you learn, the faster you'll learn.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

you'll need to talk to oleg etc, people who were part of the development, and find out what modelling tool they used, and what format is the meshes. It won't be as easy considering the detail of the models, and there will be multiple seperate parts.

Good luck.

HH.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The model formats are still .msh with .hier and .him files, I managed to view one of the spitfire meshes using a viewing prog called SKNIL but none of the existing tools for IL2 modelling can use the files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
    The model formats are still .msh with .hier and .him files, I managed to view one of the spitfire meshes using a viewing prog called SKNIL but none of the existing tools for IL2 modelling can use the files.
    ROF (I'll do penance latter, I promise ) uses a custom plugin called "Gennadich Tools" which allows their building models to be exported with the features required by that sim. Unfortunately that tool is designed for 3dstudioMax 8. When I tried to install it in 2013 if died horribly!
    Is it possible that COD requires its own plugin? (Im a Newbie when it comes to this sort of thing sorry if its a stupid question)

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, you can't use plugins from different max versions.

it's not CoD that needs the plugin (kegety's extraction tool we already have), we need someone to compile a plugin for max that reads/exports the CoD format .msh/hier.him files, updates of the existing IL2 tools would be the best starting point in my oppinion.
    Last edited by bongodriver; Jan-04-2013 at 04:57.

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSpZ2Q17Fc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Bongodriver, you should probably PM ATAG_Bliss and ask to be added to the mod team

As far as plugins go, I think Blender is the preferred modelling software atm. Of course it isn't hard to import a model into blender and then export it to max.

And I believe max was what 1c was using if I'm remembering some old screenshots Oleg posted correctly.

Oh, and there are some very good tutorials on how to use blender to make an aircraft. The flight gear wiki has a good selection of resources; http://wiki.flightgear.org/Blender

And you can find good video tutorials on youtube too, if a more visual style of learning is your thing.

But I'd suggest starting off on something a bit simpler, like a house or even a simple piece of armor.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Skoshi_Tiger View Post
    ROF (I'll do penance latter, I promise ) uses a custom plugin called "Gennadich Tools" which allows their building models to be exported with the features required by that sim. Unfortunately that tool is designed for 3dstudioMax 8. When I tried to install it in 2013 if died horribly!
    Is it possible that COD requires its own plugin? (Im a Newbie when it comes to this sort of thing sorry if its a stupid question)
    is this not the same group who made the original "il2 commander" for servers and stats pages?

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
    Yeah, you can't use plugins from different max versions.

it's not CoD that needs the plugin (kegety's extraction tool we already have), we need someone to compile a plugin for max that reads/exports the CoD format .msh/hier.him files, updates of the existing IL2 tools would be the best starting point in my oppinion.
    does this TUT apply to CLoD aswell? [HIERARCHY] Basic Hier.Him tutorial

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSpZ2Q17Fc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post
    does this TUT apply to CLoD aswell? [HIERARCHY] Basic Hier.Him tutorial
    Yes

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by LizLemon View Post
    Bongodriver, you should probably PM ATAG_Bliss and ask to be added to the mod team

As far as plugins go, I think Blender is the preferred modelling software atm. Of course it isn't hard to import a model into blender and then export it to max.

And I believe max was what 1c was using if I'm remembering some old screenshots Oleg posted correctly.

Oh, and there are some very good tutorials on how to use blender to make an aircraft. The flight gear wiki has a good selection of resources; http://wiki.flightgear.org/Blender

And you can find good video tutorials on youtube too, if a more visual style of learning is your thing.

But I'd suggest starting off on something a bit simpler, like a house or even a simple piece of armor.
    thanks, when I get back home I will look into those blender tuts, I have to admit blender is wildly different to max and I just haven't found an intuitive way around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

[QUOTE=bongodriver;26138I just haven't found an intuitive way around it.[/QUOTE]

There is none. Blender was designed for speed not ease of use so the learning curve is steep

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I can recommend gmax, if I recall it is 3dsmax version 5 and is now freeware availiable at turbosquid.com. The tools are few in comparison to say blender but it keeps the core modelling functionality of 3ds max and is relatively easy to use for beginners.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to bring such an old thread up again, but is there any useful 3d modeling that could be done for the sake of the server or updates. I honestly don't understand the programming side of the sim, but if autodesk inventor/3ds max files are used to generate the objects, does a wish list of things to be made exist somewhere? If someone produced historically accurate objects in these formats are there people involved that could put them to use if the quality is high enough? Do moving parts need to be animated through full range of motion in 3ds or just constrained in inventor?/What constitutes a usable file/object with moving parts?