Thread: If you have upgraded to beta 2.5, purge your cache folders!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

If you have upgraded to beta 2.5, purge your cache folders!

I know this may be old news to some but I was having terrible frame hitching and colors looked off so I went searching for answers as the videos I was watching looked much better. I found a few posts and "guides" that advised to delete your metashaders and fxo folders (found in C:\users\<pc name>\saved games\DCS) DCS will repopulate these folders the next time you play which will take a bit longer than usual BUT it sure fixed all issues I was having and things look great + I was able to pump my settings back up because framerate had improved plenty. Hope it helps someone that hasn't seen the info elsewhere.

2. Likes farley, SharkBait, ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Re: If you have upgraded to beta 2.5, purge your cache folders!

Thanks for that Phoenix.

Cleaned it out as you recommended.

Not regarding the cache, but the sim itself, I now have DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.5 open beta.

Does anyone know if I can delete 1.5 or does it share files with 2.5?

Thanks.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Hi Farley.
    You can delete 1.5 as each DCS install is separate, no shared files.
    Scream.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

5. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Thanks for that Phoenix.

Cleaned it out as you recommended.

Not regarding the cache, but the sim itself, I now have DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.5 open beta.

Does anyone know if I can delete 1.5 or does it share files with 2.5?

Thanks.
    Hello, farley.

I had these versions installed side-by-side (Steam versions) and weeks ago uninstalled 1.5 for the disk space without any problems.

Why would there be a need to have both installed unless one were downloaded from Steam and the other from Eagle Dynamics?

7. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

@Scream and @Scones, thanks for the replies. Deleting 1.5.

So next question is I now have DCS Wold 2 OpenAlpha, and DCS World open beta.

Can I delete open alpha?

9. Likes ATAG_Scones liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

You can delete the DCS World open alpha as well.
    Each DCS install is completely separate from the others.
    Only reason to keep 2.2 is if you don't want to deal with the 2.5 version issues that exist at the moment.
    Cheers, Scream.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

11. Likes ATAG_Scones, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Thanks Scream.

Done.

I don't fly DCS anyhow at present, so can wait for them to sort things out further as needed in 2.5.

I have the WWII planes, and Sabre, but feel that it is more a sim for the jet set.

Don't even have time to set up the controls properly let alone fly and learn to fly well.

I'll occasionally just go in and enjoy sitting in the cockpits and looking at how they are laid out.

Have ordered Bodenplatte (sp?) which will be my first in that series, so that will take up a bit of the time that i have.

It will always be Blitz, (and Tobruk when the time comes), and the ATAG site for me.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

Yep, there seems to be some kind of memory leak issue with dcs 2.5 that makes it real difficult to join multiplayer servers at the moment.
    i have 16gb and my dcs times out back to the main window before it can join a server, single player seems ok though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I saw a post over on ED's forum that its not a memory leak it's the upgraded maps and the unit count. Nineline mentions you'd need more memory than 8gb now or something. But ED are working on a fix apparently. Still I'd guess it's a good idea to purge the cache folders.

Sorry Silent I've just seen you have 16gb might be more to this. I've not tried MP on the new stable version of 2.5. The open beta was ok for me though using the Korea 1952 Server. I have 16gb of ram myself. I have got a fair bit of virtual memory allocated though.

Frankie
    Last edited by ATAG_Frankenstien; Apr-12-2018 at 03:21.
    My Machine CPU: i7 7700k 4..2Ghz Motherboard: Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 Socket 1151 Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1080 Strix 8GB ROG Direct CU III Aura RGB Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 2400Mhz 2 x Matched Pair Peripherals: Oculus Rift, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Kensington Trackball, CH Pro Throttle Quadrant, 2 x Saitek Trim Wheels, Razer Tarterus V2 Gaming Keypad

15. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

I have dcs running on my d drive at the moment as it has more space , so if i allocate more virtual memory , do i do it to the c system drive or the d drive? if all else fails ill look into buying some more ram. how much virtual memory should i allocate ? c drive has 12gb free space of 111gb and d has 197 gb free space of 931gb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Not sure. You could go with system managed on the drive with the most memory available. I had 30gb available on my C drive so I set 20gb up as virtual memory and I have system managed on another drive. At least I think that's how I have it set up lol. Haven't been at the PC for about a week though so not sure how that is working.

Hope there is a solution soon.

Frankie
    Last edited by ATAG_Frankenstien; Apr-12-2018 at 05:08.
    My Machine CPU: i7 7700k 4..2Ghz Motherboard: Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 Socket 1151 Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1080 Strix 8GB ROG Direct CU III Aura RGB Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 2400Mhz 2 x Matched Pair Peripherals: Oculus Rift, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Kensington Trackball, CH Pro Throttle Quadrant, 2 x Saitek Trim Wheels, Razer Tarterus V2 Gaming Keypad

18. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Upgraded to 2.5, deleted (actually just renamed) the metashader and fatso folders, and have run the Spitfire Quick Missions in both Caucasus and Normandy maps at high video settings. Both maps are gorgeous and much improved visually IMHO. I didn’t have frame rate counters going, but the action was smooth, with a fantastic impression of speed on the deck.

But...after about 5 minutes (or so) the screen would freeze. I was able to pull up Task Manager to End Task to close the program. I did note that despite the smoothness my CPU would go to 100% just before the freeze occurred.

I have lots of RAM, so I hope a patch will fix this. I’m loath to start lowering my video settings.

MAJOR EDIT: Just ran DCS again with the Task Manager on an adjacent 2nd monitor so I could watch it carefully. It was the GPU in my Nvidia 970 graphics card that was consistently maxing out at 99% - 100%, NOT the CPU. In fact, according to Task Manager the CPU never climbed above 45% usage, the same for my 24 GB of DDR3 RAM - likewise never went above 45%.

Will try lowering the graphics settings to "Medium" and see what happens. Interestingly, in this last run I flew for a good 10 minutes (Spitfire, Normandy map, Free Flight Quick Mission) and there was no freezing this time. Also, despite the graphics card seemingly to be max'd out at 100%, the visual quality and smoothness of framerate never faltered, stuttered, hesitated, etc. Visually I have to rate 2.5 heads and shoulders above the previous alphas and betas, despite the problems with freeze ups I had earlier.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Apr-12-2018 at 12:59.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

20. Likes ATAG_Septic, Silent135, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Just did a quick run of 2.5 (Spitfire, Normandy Map, Quick Mission Free Flight) at Medium Settings. Cockpit and terrain looked OK, but definitely seemed a bit washed out and less detailed than High settings, as would be expected. At altitudes above 3,000 feet the GPU usage was in the mid-high 80%, but once on the deck the GPU usage shot up to 99+%, even with the less detailed terrain. Again, no freeze up after about 10 minutes of flight.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

22. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's odd Snapper. I had a flight last night about an hour or so in the Harrier on Nevada. Fps were good and I was using the rift, my settings are basically the VR settings but I've reduced trees and ground clutter to minimum and also turned down shadows a little. I have increased the pre-load radius to max. You have more memory than me although mine is faster I think. And basically the same graphics card, although mine is overclocked. Have you got DCS installed on an ssd?
    I haven't looked at CPU and GPU usages while playing as I've not really had any issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hey Frankie, the limiting factor on my system appears to be my 970 card with video settings set to “high”. I want to test some more in case the original freeze ups were due to some flukey thing. Perhaps rebuilding the two cache folders proved too much for my system (I have no clue on this, just talking off the top of my head here), but now all should be fine. We’ll see. If freeze ups persist on High settings, I’ll try a few steps as you’ve described to lessen the graphics load on the card, yet still retain the beautiful visuals. Again, the feeling of speed in the weeds is outstanding in this sim!

Thanks for your input.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Been flying the Harrier for a few months now and thoroughly enjoying it, I've also got a GTX 970 and only 8gig of ram and the lowest frame rate I get is around 40 over some city's, think a lot has to do with MSA mines is only at 2, any higher and it hit's the frame rate, I don't get many game freezes but loading missions does take some time
    My settings

Screen_180413_164657.jpg

Red
    Target 4 'o' clock low

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No worries Snapper I'm happy to help. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but the rift in this sim is amazing. I couldn't go back to track ir now. Only issue I've had are if I tab out too much or lots of clutter/targets on the range in NTTR affects my frame rate. Other than that it's smooth as silk. Small issue reading the guages. But yes Snapper the sense of speed and altitude is amazing I actually get vertigo when I look down

Appreciate the input Red

Frankie

28. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post