Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the VKB MCG?

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

What happened to the VKB MCG?

Has it fallen off a cliff?

did the ship sink the South China Seas?

Did I miss out on the the 6 units shipped to Europe?

Are they holding off distribution until they can add another 17 variations of connector revisions?

Where is it?
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

2. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: What happened to the VKB MCG?

VKB MCG grip units for EU market was not produced yet, the production scheduled is for end of March - so read this as April/May, more a mount or two for the ship arrive.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

I could post a few pics of mine in use to be cheeky but .... LoL as far as I have heard the big holdup on Europe market right now is the Chinese new year putting that whole country on pause so no manufacturing will happen until after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post

Did I miss out on the the 6 units shipped to Europe?

Are they holding off distribution until they can add another 17 variations of connector revisions?

I have a gunfighter base... I love it... they changed the connector orientation right after the initial production run... !

I'm not that fussed as I don't intend putting anything on it but the Warthog grip that is on there at the mo... but it does rather make the modular concept a bit of an oddity (to put it mildly!)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I guess the Chinese new year took everyone by surprise - what with it being such a new and unexpected concept! Difficult to plan for are these established dates....

There almost an arrogance to VKBs supply ethos - "you will wait but you will buy and you will buy when we say you can buy" - mwahahahah"

But i guess they are right becuse i will. That said if Virpil hadnt made thier stick like 8ft long id have bought that long before....except i cant find that on Amataxavoid either!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I recon the Bauer stuff looks good. ATAG_SCUD did a rewiew of one recently. Looks great.

I'm still amazed nobody made a decent gimbal as a (direct replacement) for the Warthog

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    I recon the Bauer stuff looks good. ATAG_SCUD did a rewiew of one recently. Looks great.

I'm still amazed nobody made a decent gimbal as a (direct replacement) for the Warthog
    I agree, if the gimbal was just made of a metal so it didn't bind and was stronger it would be a reasonable competitor. I'd bad talk how VKB does things but honestly I'm just happy SOMEBODY out there was even thinking about producing something of quality. Very sad we have to depend on small niche builders stepping up to fill the void because all the big box companies give us is mostly junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Yeah the Bauer stuff looks fabulous.

I considered just getting a used WH but ive read they are to heavy for the Sidewinder and I do like my shakes..

I'm really in need of the modern grips though now since in stuck into the A10C. I've currently contrived the pinkie switch on the throttle to be throw shift or alt which then shifts the hat on the sidewinder into Data mode and the hat on the throttle to Weapons or Counter measures mode but what works in theory works less efficiently when the instructor is barking at me and its dark and I don't know which way up I am.

Speaking of which I hit a new low last night. No excuses here - No VR and no pit build to immerse me but after the 3rd failed attempt at an ILS landing at night (before finding that deferred shading isn't a good thing in the dark) my virtual instructor with real disgust and venom says "you damaged the aircraft Cadet"

"Cadet??? CADET!!? I'm forty bleedin Eight you upstart. Show some damn respect!"

I looked round to see the mocking face of my 10 year old

"Do you think he cares? Do they even let old people fly the real ones?"

He went to bed early last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I considered just getting a used WH but ive read they are to heavy for the Sidewinder and I do like my shakes..
    If just want a "modern grip" for MSFFB2 the "easy" to install (and affordable) is CH F-16'ish grip's, but require a Arduino for manage buttons/HAT's, since MSSFB2 circuit support only 8 buttons. What represent a bit of "DIY".

Other good grip options is Thrustmaster F16FLCS or F22 PRO F-16'ish grips, since this grips (and CH) are just "plastic toys" don' present the weight (~1KG) inconvenience of Warthog/Cougar grips.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...4&d=1431578886

11. Likes BOO liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.70 MB

Just posted on the VKB Europe site: https://flightsimcontrols.com/2018/0...-availability/

"Gunfighter Mk.II (PRO) MCG: produced for EU in sufficient amount and expected to be shipped to our store next week . We aim to keep this product in permanent stock."

13. Likes PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bart_NL View Post
    Just posted on the VKB Europe site: https://flightsimcontrols.com/2018/0...-availability/

"Gunfighter Mk.II (PRO) MCG: produced for EU in sufficient amount and expected to be shipped to our store next week . We aim to keep this product in permanent stock."
    haha !

Looks like Mk I support lasted.... about no time at all !

Don't get me wrong... I love it !

but man.... what a business model !!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

15. Likes PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

haha !

Looks like Mk I support lasted.... about no time at all !

Don't get me wrong... I love it !

but man.... what a business model !!
    I was quick to buy the mk I MCG grip ASAP because I feared we would be left in the dust quickly, also a bit annoyed by the immediate revision they did due to "user feedback" that's what freakin focus groups are for. At least the only "revisions" that were made were only for accessibility and we aren't really missing out on anything performance wise. All in all I am very happy with what I have but also happy to be done buying things from VKB lol.

17. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixCNE View Post
    All in all I am very happy with what I have but also happy to be done buying things from VKB lol.
    That's pretty much where I got to !!

If i did this again I'd got Bauer or similar one man band.

Did that with my Slaw pedals and holy moley ! they are awesome.

If Slaw were to make a joystick you can bet your behind it would be epicly good.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

so.......still no grips unless I buy a big expensive stick and base to act as a (short) hat stand.....

Very Kannot Buy

1lokos's suggestion is tempting but soldering irons are hot and dangerous for a half wit such as myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

That's pretty much where I got to !!

If i did this again I'd got Bauer or similar one man band.

Did that with my Slaw pedals and holy moley ! they are awesome.

If Slaw were to make a joystick you can bet your behind it would be epicly good.
    Just a heads up ...Baur has become the lead designer at Virpil and they have released a new base that is his design. If you want to get your hands on one of his originals you need to act fast or wait to see what comes out of Virpil.
    I ordered a second BRD-DS + KG13A as a DIY kit for cannibalizing. Just in case.... I really love this stick. He's not offering assembly any longer.

Skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Well I'm hovering over the trigger on a VKB Pro Mudslinger doofer grip V310.45 rev 32 socket C whatever just F5 spamming the Euro shop..

Its easy to justify the £400 until you sober up.

.....but then I look at it again and........Ill probably get £50.00 for the sidewinder, I got another one too, that's another £50, then there's the precision £20, er........never play that Tiny Terror Amp ....£275.....

damn this hobby....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

In all honesty, VKB has lost me as a customer. Being sold a KG12 grip that is "compatible" with my Fat Mamba that actually doesn't work with the base was not fun. Add in the many, many changes in direction design and product wise and it's easy to see the company's has a mess of a business model.

Once VIRPIL releases the new Baur base I plan to ditch my Mamba to buy it and the new throttle. No more broken promises and changes in direction for me.

Bye bye, VKB. You lost me at "Now with new improved connector even more improved than last improved connector but is not backward compatible with old products!"
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Invictus View Post

Bye bye, VKB. You lost me at "Now with new improved connector even more improved than last improved connector but is not backward compatible with old products!"

yeah...

It's bonkers !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

hopefully one of Mr Bs first conversations will be about about stopping using a tax avoiding exploitative outlets for retail

His second might be about not making stupidly tall sticks for no apparent reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

well....one day to go before the week end in which the VKB Europe store announced it would have something worthwhile to sell in the week.

I worry about him. I mean how is he putting food on the table? Its like the guy from Mr Ben. That bowler hatted bugger never bought anything. Total time waster. He'd be ASBO'd today. Still at least the shop had stiff to try on...yknow just in case ..not like the VKB stores...jeesh they are like those mysterious shops in children's fairly tails and fanstasy adventures. Perhaps that it? Maybe I should be search the store for magic beans or sommat?

Or perhaps its run by the comic book guy from the Simpsons - "No you can not!"

Who knows

Since discovering a way to mount the stuff without incurring a further bill of £100 for additions to the wheel pro I will admit I'm almost tempted by VKB but its just the bloody Amazon thing.

Sooooo many First wold problems.....

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am pretty disappointed with VKB.

First, I purchased a Gunfighter in March of 2017 when initial orders were being accepted. Shortly after I also ordered the extension kit to make it a Gunfighter Pro. At that time, the MCG grip had been announced with like a May time frame.

I am still waiting on the MCG Pro grip, and here it is Feb of 2018. Gunfighter still sitting here new in the box. Now for full disclosure, I did put my name in the hat for the first production run of the MCG Pro grip. But it got delayed into December, and that was a tough month with all the Christmas shopping going on, so I pulled my name out of that hat hoping I could get one later in Jan or early Feb.

Now it is delayed again till April. Of course in the meantime who knows if there will be yet another delay. Kind of their modus operandi.

Betwixt and between all of this going on, I got in on the Virpil offering and received my complete Virpil setup, stick/base, extension kit and deskmount, and have been happily flying iwth it for several months now. It is a great setup and resulted in me finally retiring my several years old Warthog stick.

I will still order the MCG Pro grip for my Gunfighter Pro setup, have too much invested in it already plus have already purchased and received an extended Monster Tech mount for it, all sitting here waiting. Just remains to be seen when I will actually be able to order and actually have the grip delivered to me.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

and.....its a not entirely unexpected no show in the VKB Europe store despite a week old statement to the contrary....

How this lot would survive if there were any real competition is beyond me but i guess in its absence PPP is a luxury they can afford.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

and.....its a not entirely unexpected no show in the VKB Europe store despite a week old statement to the contrary....

How this lot would survive if there were any real competition is beyond me but i guess in its absence PPP is a luxury they can afford.
    Virpil is a good competitor to them. Plus they deliver their products. Might be a 2-4 week lead time from placing order to receipt of product, but at least it is not months.

Plus Virpil has shown a throttle that is slated for a March time frame for opening up orders for.
    I myself have found Virpil to be very good and excellent customer support.
    Main thing with their current offering, is it is not a desk top stick, but designed to be mounted. They will be coming out with a desk top version soon in partnership with Bauer.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

30. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Dont dispute the quality Don and ive read your excellent and unbiased reviews along the way too (thanks for doing them) but there is little scope for me to incorporate the desk mount in my set up.

I have no PC desk and am reliant on a wheel stand pro. Whilst I could in theory buy extensions to this, it would make the whole thing impractical to store in the shoebox I live in. As such and despite all the drawbacks I have to use the single plate V2 on which the throttle and desktop stick are mounted.

If Virpil come up with a short grip with a wathog adapter before VKB makes one available AND i can buy without being directed to Amazon id certainly consider it.

Its only the grip I want. Using a sidewinder FFB has become a hard to break habit and whilst I can really understand the benefits of long throw modern sticks they don't shake and until the day a full length stick becomes an option its a little thing to make up for the less refined control.

In the here and now neither the desk stick or the grip exist and probably wont for some time. So VKB, in my circumstances at least, still has no competion. Mores the pity.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.70 MB

In the here and now neither the desk stick or the grip exist and probably wont for some time. So VKB, in my circumstances at least, still has no competion. Mores the pity.
    I'm keeping an eye on this one, combined with one of these... See also dburnes' message ^^^.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Probably the upcoming Virpil War BRD would fit the bill, but like you say no word yet on a time frame. It would not require a Warthog adapter, as it uses the same pin configuration and thread, could just stick the Warthog grip on it. ( same is with the T-50).
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Its only the grip I want. Using a sidewinder FFB has become a hard to break habit and whilst I can really understand the benefits of long throw modern sticks they don't shake and until the day a full length stick becomes an option its a little thing to make up for the less refined control.

"Its only the grip I want."
    So, forget VKB grips, the thing is high proprietary - a kind of Apple, you need replace all inside electronics (VKB grips have a mc inside, are own entities) for use in other brands bases, and lose features, e.g. the analog axis in HAT's.

"Full length stick" don't combines with office chair of 'vir-pilots', the long leverage will conflict with knees, legs, belly.

Generally in (RL) fighters the pilot sit low - for better support G forces, their control column length don't need be long as in office chair.

The 'pit builders' practice has show that the longer length extension for an domestic joystick is ~10".

BTW - VKB are "teasing" with the idea of a ForceFeedback, and will be not a desktop joystick, with "bourgeois" price... ~ in "two years, be sure".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-24-2018 at 11:25.

35. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

"Its only the grip I want."
    So, forget VKB grips, the thing is high proprietary - a kind of Apple, you need replace all inside electronics (VKB grips have a mc inside, are own entities) for use in other brands bases, and lose features, e.g. the analog axis in HAT's.
    I thought with the additional WH adapter (two decades be sure) isn't it only the handbrake/disconnect lever that looses anaalog functionality?. I know its more cash on top of the grip but I like the grip. In addition to the hat switches, both the Virpil and the VKB have two buttons on the head that would seem to suit my want to zoom view (I cant get on with the axis on the WH throttle). Now I know I'm getting all Diva about my demands here but indulge me.

And I think we've long established that Boo and electronic soldering is never going to happen for a full DIY build.

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    [I][B]
    will conflict with knees, legs, belly.
    Youve seen me then - well fed - not fat. Just well fed.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

I thought with the additional WH adapter (two decades be sure) isn't it only the handbrake/disconnect lever that looses anaalog functionality?. I know its more cash on top of the grip but I like the grip. In addition to the hat switches, both the Virpil and the VKB have two buttons on the head that would seem to suit my want to zoom view (I cant get on with the axis on the WH throttle). Now I know I'm getting all Diva about my demands here but indulge me.

And I think we've long established that Boo and electronic soldering is never going to happen for a full DIY build.

Youve seen me then - well fed - not fat. Just well fed.
    Unfortunately with warthog version ALL analog axis loose their functionality and become digital buttons, so they should function like 4 or 8 way hats (not sure which they will do) .. honestly for the conversion you want to do with the amount of fuss you want to do the combat stick conversion might be your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I thought with the additional WH adapter (two decades be sure) isn't it only the handbrake/disconnect lever that looses analog functionality?
    In MCG TM grip no axis is supported, so the brake lever and buttons will work as ordinary buttons - this is due limitation of Warhog base.

Suggestion - while waiting that "two years, be sure" and save for the 'bourgeois" price of VKB FFB joystick, contact Debolestis in DCS forum (has some topics about joystick "MOD'dernization" there).

This guy (from Poland) is able to convert a CH F-16'ish grip (recommend because don't weight ~1KG) for use in MSFFB2, like he did with this for use in VPC base:

https://imgur.com/a/wPJ2T

It's early to tell - as this grip don't exist in fact, but I believe that he is be able to adapt MCG TM grip for use in MSFFB2 base.

39. Likes BOO liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast