Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PC turning off frequently...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: PC turning off frequently...

In my opinion, bigger is better (Watts), and modular design is a plus when air cooling since you can leave unused, airflow restricting cables in the box. It's always a shame to have to buy a bigger PSU when upgrading (Which is bound to happen), and it's nice to have some headroom anyway. Nothing wrong with used PSU's either , as long as there's a decent guaranty policy like eBay has.

I recommend you research your motherboard for required connectors, and then make sure the new power supply has them all. I'd be surprised if a modern PSU would not fit.

All the Power supplies I've installed have standard mounting holes, but it's certainly something to look into if you have a non-standard case...
    Last edited by Baffin; Mar-20-2018 at 14:19. Reason: Ebay listing removed.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I have a ax1200i psu.
    Overkill but just in case I am ever mad enough to put more than 1 gpu on the putter.

For what its worth I just ran the Time Spy benchmark and the psu software lets me see the power in and out of the psu during the load.
    Max in was 499w and out 465W.
    A quick flip on the new DCS Caucasus in the harrier did not exceed the above wattage with the gpu 96% loaded.
    650 should be ok, 750 safer option.

I have a 1080ti, 7 hard drives 2 monitors one at 1440p, multiple peripherals.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

3. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Hi Lewis,

It's really good to hear that you have identified the culprit.

Just over a year ago, I had the same dilemma of which PSU to go for. I finally opted for modular and have had no regrets.

It's so much easier to run the cables to all the devices. I had a great first-time build experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Vlerkies post is rather interesting. He's opted for a larger PSU in case he installs a second gpu at a later date.

This highlights one of the advantages of having a modular PSU. No need to re-run all those cables again to the devices already connected if you decide to upgrade to a larger PSU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

So I bought this one...They have been around for a few years so it should be good in terms of reliability...There's still a lot of PC companies selling this model today...I mean they wouldn't keep one on the market for 5 years if it were a bad PSU surely, would they?

Corsair CX Series 750W 80 Plus Bronze Non Modular Power Supply(5 years warranty)

£70.97 (free delivery - upto 10 days)

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-cp-...uk/version.asp

I am not concerned about the non-modular as all the cables go straight into the area behind the right hand side panel...then I pull through the ones needed so not much in the way of airflow obstructions...

I think this one will be ok...

Thanks again to all you folks spending the time to respond and help me with the calculations and advice...~S~

I'm learn something all the time...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-19-2018 at 15:21.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Can't comment on your purchase Lew as I have no idea on these matters, but I hope this solves the problem and you can join us back in the virtual skies soon

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Lew, what else can we say except, good luck, welcome back to the skies and,

Right ON!

Coluldn't find a Power to the person vid....
    Last edited by farley; Mar-19-2018 at 17:05.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

9. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

It's hard to beat the "Corsair" brand!

We await your progress report with bated breath...
    Last edited by Baffin; Mar-20-2018 at 14:22.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Keller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You sure 750 is enough Lew? I put a 1200 in my PC just so I didn't have to worry about ever running low on wattage. Run a calculator on ALL your components and peripherals then add 20%, too much wattage is never a bad thing.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Intel Core i7 4970 @ 3.6 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, GTX 980 4GB GPU

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

It really should be well enough Keller, see this post above.
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post308350

If you start adding gpu's (i.e. more than one) then you gonna need some more horsepower.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Keller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    It really should be well enough Keller, see this post above.
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post308350

If you start adding gpu's (i.e. more than one) then you gonna need some more horsepower.
    Ok good, missed that post.

III./ZG76 2N+ZR
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Intel Core i7 4970 @ 3.6 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, GTX 980 4GB GPU

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

PSU came today...

Taking my time re-building the PC...MonkeyNuts mobo and cpu were in the rig so I removed them keeping tally on all the wiring and labeling all the connectors...All my rig pics are on this PC but luckily we took a couple pics before we removed the mobo so I had something to work to...Pretty straight forward although I seem to have two lots of connectors that would only fit the GPU...Each set has two sets of connectors on each loom so I am assuming I can use one set and plug both connectors on that one loom to the GPU...I am guessing that the other set is for SLI?

Still have to paste up the cooler and fit and add GPU and Audio panel...

Fingers crossed it boots ok...I'll keep you posted...

The monitor you see below is connected to another PC (used) I bought last week to replace the desktop PC that blew...and the John Lennon guitar is for when I take a break from building...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

15. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Monkeynut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

No single malt in sight, much disappoint

17. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    No single malt in sight, much disappoint
    Yeah i noticed that !

It's like he's never done this before eh?

still... at least he has a shaving brush there...

I never do any computer repairs unless i'm spick and spann around the chops.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

19. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Yeah i noticed that !

It's like he's never done this before eh?

still... at least he has a shaving brush there...

I never do any computer repairs unless i'm spick and spann around the chops.

That intrigued me as well a bit, shaving brush or fluffing toy

Anyway, hope the psu solves the issue, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

PC has been running for 16 hours'ish upto now with no issues...so it would seem it was the PSU that caused all this hassle...Man if I had known that at the beginning my life would have been a whole lot easier...Kudos to those that mentioned that from the start...~S~

All the other stuff, RAM, Mobo, CPU, HDs all seem to be unaffected so I am happy with that...and although it was a ballache and time consuming the cost hasn't been too hard to bear...

Thanks again to all of you guys for your help and advice...Its much appreciated and I have learned from this experience too which is always a good thing...

Here's to a few more years out of the old girl!

...Lew...

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

deleted
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234