Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 years with DCS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Re: 2 years with DCS

I recently started playing DCS because I wanted to fly the P-51 Mustang. I’ve never piloted a plane in real life, but the flight model definitely “feels” realistic (and YouTubers like AgathosDaimon who flies real planes have noted that the feel in DCS is very close to the real thing compared to other flight sims) and I’ve been enjoying the process of learning the aircraft.

Others have mentioned this, but I echo the fact that WW2 multiplayer seems to be hampered by sub-optimal damage models, performance issues, odd bugs (e.g., servers removed the Spitfire because it apparently makes the game crash, and mission builders are struggling with ground targets which are rendered invisible due to bugs inherent to the current version of the game), and lack of players. During the weekdays, the two or three WW2 servers are pretty dead (as in, less than 5 players on at a time total). Even on the weekends, outside of a window of a few hours during which it can get to about 15 players on each side, the servers are pretty empty. I suspect that this is also a vicious cycle, in which the issues mentioned discourage players from logging on, and a small player base makes fixing these issues a lower priority for ED.

Another personal problem I have is spotting. While I’m sure results vary for everyone depending on their rig and monitor, I would venture to say that spotting is incredibly hard in DCS compared to CLOD as a general rule. It is especially difficult if you like to fly high and engage enemies from an altitude advantage, since targets just disappear into the ground textures even with MSAA and anisotropic filtering set to zero. Even if you’re lucky enough to spot the dot, and concentrate 200% to keep eyes on it, chances are you’ll lose it in a few seconds. Various server hosts have tried to put in a workaround by enabling labels in-game (not the full label that shows aircraft name and distance, but just tiny characters like ‘, `, or o), but I’m positive that I missed out on a lot of action because I couldn’t see enemy aircraft flying just a mile under me. I feel like this happens less often in CLOD, and it’s much easier to keep an eye on a target while maneuvering into attack position. Sparsely populated servers + difficult spotting = uneventful sorties.

Like Invictus, I really wish that there is a lot of improvement in DCS in store for us. I love its supposed realism, graphics, and clickable cockpits. However, I’m not sure what will happen once Battle of Bodenplatte hits, since it will basically include all the WW2 planes that are currently in DCS and will presumably do it much better in terms of damage model, map detail, gameplay, and server population… all of that for a much lower price.

System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

2. Likes PhoenixCNE, farley, invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

I continue to remain hopeful that ED will get the biggest bugs out of the way. The sim has SO much potential, both for more modern planes and WWII stuff. I know I'll end up buying the F/A-18 because I want to support ED's efforts and encourage them to do more. But I agree with Sharkbait as well that Bodenplatte may well signal the end of my interest in DCS as a WWII platform.

Right now I'm torn if I should pre-order the F/A-18 or Bodenplatte. I guess I could go ahead and pre-order both...but I'm certain that would trigger dire consequences from my family's Comptroller and CFO (i.e. my wife).
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Buy both and then argue that you cant afford a divorce as a result....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12