Thread: Newcastle Brown Ale!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Newcastle Brown Ale!

Over the last year or so, Newcastle Brown Ale has been my go-to brew, and it always pleased me that I might in some small way be supporting the economy of my friends across the pond. Now I come to find out with great dismay that the brewing of Newcastle has been moved to bloody Belgium!! What do my friends across the pond in Britain think of this move on the part of Newcastle?

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Newcastle Brown Ale!

In my younger days Newky Brown was largely drunk by students in horrible dingy music venues and indie nightclubs.

Two reasons for this -

it was cheap and you got a lot of it for a pound

It was safer than drinking the water

I don't rate it personally. For all its strength its tastes like sewer water. I'm sure many love it.

BUt i do applaude your noble stance. Sadly its been owned by Heineken for about 10 years as is the UK brewery (John Smiths) in Yorkshire where it was brewed before its move to the continent (a move cited as necessary to inprove the supply of product to the US).

Its move is just global business. The furoure of the Britsh brewing industry being stripped mined by larger companies has long since passed. Its just one of those things. No-one drinks like they used to. You cant sell beer in a closed pub. Whilst we do still have a few independent brewers that own pubs we also now have a lot of smaller breweries producing artisan ales and seasonal "speacials" and its perhaps there that are now regarded as the jewel in the crown amongst those that still care here in the UK.

Most though - dont - just like the dont care that they carrots the bought in Tesco came from Niarobi when there is a farmer not 2 miles don't the road growing them. ~Doesnt matter where its brewed to most - as long as the price it right.

Such is the way of the world.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

3. Likes SD_MBen, Basha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Having suffered from hangovers throughout my drinking years...a friend told me to stick to Newcastle brown Ale and not drink any other drinks in an evening and I wouldn't get a hangover the following day...It was true...no hangover from it when drinking it on its own...

So I spent as number of years drinking it in my single days...Now I just have the odd one now and then...

In 1990 I went to the states from a 2 month road trip...In a bar in Miami I was surprised to see Newcastle Brown Ale on a shelf and bought one...I remember the label was slightly different in that it was bright when the ones back home are sepia colour...Anyway I bought one...and again surprised that the alcohol content was really low compared to the UK..(I forget what it was but it was really low) Must have been some law on its import...

I haven't drank it regularly for many years...Not sure how I feel about it being made somewhere else...as long as the alcohol content, flavour and labelling is the same I'm not too concerned with it being made in europe...I am not precious about it in that way...Its just a drink!

If it were a whisky that would be different I guess...Some whiskies rely on the water from the area for flavour...I guess that would be an issue...I don't think the water is so important in brown ale as it is in whisky...I could be wrong...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Having suffered from hangovers throughout my drinking years...a friend told me to stick to Newcastle brown Ale and not drink any other drinks in an evening and I wouldn't get a hangover the following day...It was true...no hangover from it when drinking it on its own...

So I spent as number of years drinking it in my single days...Now I just have the odd one now and then...

In 1990 I went to the states from a 2 month road trip...In a bar in Miami I was surprised to see Newcastle Brown Ale on a shelf and bought one...I remember the label was slightly different in that it was bright when the ones back home are sepia colour...Anyway I bought one...and again surprised that the alcohol content was really low compared to the UK..(I forget what it was but it was really low) Must have been some law on its import...

I haven't drank it regularly for many years...Not sure how I feel about it being made somewhere else...as long as the alcohol content, flavour and labelling is the same I'm not too concerned with it being made in europe...I am not precious about it in that way...Its just a drink!

If it were a whisky that would be different I guess...Some whiskies rely on the water from the area for flavour...I guess that would be an issue...I don't think the water is so important in brown ale as it is in whisky...I could be wrong...
    A huge amount of Scottitsh Whiskey distilleries are japanese owned now. By Suntory Holdings Ltd. and a few others I believe. Its like Japan went on a spending spree in the Whiskey aisle .. They also bought up a tonne of bourbon guys in the states, Jim Beam. Makers Mark as well i think. Not sure about four roses. will look it up in a bit !

Nope.. Four roses is owned by Kirin Brewery Company. (Also Japanese.)
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Feb-25-2018 at 12:29.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    In my younger days Newky Brown was largely drunk by students in horrible dingy music venues and indie nightclubs.

Two reasons for this -

it was cheap and you got a lot of it for a pound

It was safer than drinking the water

I don't rate it personally. For all its strength its tastes like sewer water. I'm sure many love it.

BUt i do applaude your noble stance. Sadly its been owned by Heineken for about 10 years as is the UK brewery (John Smiths) in Yorkshire where it was brewed before its move to the continent (a move cited as necessary to inprove the supply of product to the US).

Its move is just global business. The furoure of the Britsh brewing industry being stripped mined by larger companies has long since passed. Its just one of those things. No-one drinks like they used to. You cant sell beer in a closed pub. Whilst we do still have a few independent brewers that own pubs we also now have a lot of smaller breweries producing artisan ales and seasonal "speacials" and its perhaps there that are now regarded as the jewel in the crown amongst those that still care here in the UK.

Most though - dont - just like the dont care that they carrots the bought in Tesco came from Niarobi when there is a farmer not 2 miles don't the road growing them. ~Doesnt matter where its brewed to most - as long as the price it right.

Such is the way of the world.
    Boo, there's a whole education for me in that post; I didn't know Heineken owned NBA for 10+ years; thought it was a recent acquisition. That said, I guess there's no accounting for taste, including mine! The breweries over here keep discontinuing the brews I like, so I'm constantly in a churn for a decent beer for the house. I liked NBA for what I think is a nice, clean finish and almost winey flavor. As to where something is brewed, I think it's a hugely important; water matters. I very much liked the Yorkshire-brewed NBA, and I do taste a difference now.

Lew, NBA's alcohol content over here is 4.7%. Road trips are the best way to see any country; I hope one day to do one in Britain. I love your country!

Thanks, guys! really appreciate the opinions and comments!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    A huge amount of Scottitsh Whiskey distilleries are japanese owned now. By Suntory Holdings Ltd. and a few others I believe. Its like Japan went on a spending spree in the Whiskey aisle .. They also bought up a tonne of bourbon guys in the states, Jim Beam. Makers Mark as well i think. Not sure about four roses. will look it up in a bit !

Nope.. Four roses is owned by Kirin Brewery Company. (Also Japanese.)
    Seas, this is the downside to capitalism; we'll sell anything to almost anyone. I guess the upside is that great distilleries that might have had to close are able to go on producing the great scotches and bourbons we love. Win-Win!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I remember something in the news about the ingredients for NBA being changed due to potential health risks. I'm not sure what it was or when (last couple of years I think). I remember thinking that it couldn't make it worse

Cheers!!

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Newcastle Brown Ale has been in the State for 10+ years that I'm aware of. I like it. It does have a nice clean finish. I didn't know the Japanese owned Makers Mark.. that's my favorite drink . Makers Mark and Coke.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

10. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HerrBaron View Post
    Seas, this is the downside to capitalism; we'll sell anything to almost anyone. I guess the upside is that great distilleries that might have had to close are able to go on producing the great scotches and bourbons we love. Win-Win!
    Yeah. I'm not fussed who owns the distillery. I'm more interested in who owns the bottle... Right up until its empty.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

12. Likes HerrBaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    Newcastle Brown Ale has been in the State for 10+ years that I'm aware of. I like it. It does have a nice clean finish. I didn't know the Japanese owned Makers Mark.. that's my favorite drink . Makers Mark and Coke.
    Its my favorite bourbon. I don't mix it with anything. Four roses is also superb.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

14. Likes HerrBaron liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Got asked once what my favourite beer was, I replied an open one, guy was confused for about ten seconds and then clicked on.

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low

16. Likes BOO, ATAG_Ribbs, HerrBaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by EAF602_Red View Post
    Got asked once what my favourite beer was, I replied an open one, guy was confused for about ten seconds and then clicked on.

Stevie
    10 Seconds!!! What took so long..
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

10 Seconds!!! What took so long..
    Put it this way Ribbs, the guy wasn’t the sharpest tack in the box mate, told me once he even got out the shower for a piss..

Stevie
    Target 4 'o' clock low

19. Likes HerrBaron liked this post
    Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Boo, there's a whole education for me in that post; I didn't know Heineken owned NBA for 10+ years; thought it was a recent acquisition. That said, I guess there's no accounting for taste, including mine! The breweries over here keep discontinuing the brews I like, so I'm constantly in a churn for a decent beer for the house. I liked NBA for what I think is a nice, clean finish and almost winey flavor. As to where something is brewed, I think it's a hugely important; water matters. I very much liked the Yorkshire-brewed NBA, and I do taste a difference now.

Lew, NBA's alcohol content over here is 4.7%. Road trips are the best way to see any country; I hope one day to do one in Britain. I love your country!

Thanks, guys! really appreciate the opinions and comments!
    Speaking of road, trips what and where is your favorite Pub in the UK? Way back in the day I visited the "Spotted Dog" in Tonbridge, Kent a couple of times. http://spotteddogpub.com. I thought it was swell.

My local pub in my small town in "New England" is the "Airline Pub" in Ellsworth, Maine. http://abcmaine.beer

2018-03-02_15-12-50.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DOWNEAST; Mar-02-2018 at 15:14.
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

If its the place I think you mean it's not in Tonbridge. It's south of Penshurst and west of Poundsbridge. I don't know any other spotted dog in that area.

I used to go to the Leicester Arms in Penshurst a fair bit when I lived that way.

My favourite pubs change with the decades... As they inevitably change hands.

Quite like the Basket Makers Arms in Brighton. And have a love for the Great Eastern... Though its not like it was 20 years back.

You ever go to the Beehive on Southborough common before they shut it down? Late eighties... Think it was shut by about 92. Can't really remember. Haha!

The Feathers on Darmoor is nice.

As is the Thirst and Last between Sennan Cove and Lands End. The Mermaind on Scilly... the Engelchen and the Schaukel in Dusseldorf. (probably spelt wrong)
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Feb-28-2018 at 16:36.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DOWNEAST View Post
    Speaking of road, trips what and where is your favorite Pub in the UK? Way back in the day I visited the "Spotted Dog" in Tonbridge, Kent a couple of times. http://spotteddogpub.com. I thought it was swell.

My local pub in my small town in "New England" is the "Airline Pub" in Ellsworth, Maine. http://abcmaine.beer ABC.pdf
    I've never been there, but hope to go someday. Lord knows, though, the flight across will be murder for a smoker... Yeah, I know, but...it's my only vice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

If you do plan a road trip take care of your route - - its a known scientific fact the beer and company improves massively as you head further North

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

If you do plan a road trip take care of your route - - its a known scientific fact the beer and company improves massively as you head further North
    Pffffff

Directional Gyro...

Just sayin'...

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Thanks, Boo! I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

The USA is built for road trips...Cheap motels make a holiday road trip a travellers dream...There's no need to book...be as free as you want to be...stay where you like and move on when you please...The missus and I don't even start looking for a place to stay until late evening...There's always a motel with vacancies to check into and they are all pretty much the same...

Travelling around Europe is best in the summer and camping is the key if you want to travel cheaply...Its a similar deal if you want to be free...Look for a campsite on mainland western Europe in the evening...I travelled extensively around that area even drove down as far as Africa via Gibralta and south Italy...I could pitch the tent by the time the mrs had boiled the kettle...bottle of vino and usually a spag bog made from local ingredients too...We lived on that stuff when we travelled Europe...

UK is a different ball game altogether...Its probably the most inhospitable place for cheap travelling...We don't have the weather for camping so campsites are few and far between and only open during the summer which can still be pretty cold...and we don't have many motels either...Hotels are expensive...Its cheaper for us to travel Europe or USA than travel our own country which is a real shame...and traffic here is more congested these days...so a 6 hour drive is hard work...unlike the USA with big roads and fewer vehicles...In the UK we got a quarter the USA population crammed onto an island that can fit inside Texas...That kind of puts it into perspective...

France is especially made for campers...They have the weather and the rural landscape...Its really good!

Just for perspective...Camping UK compare to camping France...Approx. the same size area...

France campsites

UK campsites

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

27. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    The USA is built for road trips...Cheap motels make a holiday road trip a travellers dream...There's no need to book...
    I've just got back from Gatwick.

Apparently you DO have to book.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Aw, Lew, that post was extremely informative, and not a little bit heart-breaking. To be perfectly frank, I have little desire to see France or the rest of Europe; it's Britain that draws me, like no other place or people on the planet. It saddens me that it'd be so difficult and expensive to see and get to know your country. I mean, your nation and mine are special among all other nations; we share a bond, a kinship like no others. I know, it sounds a little sappy, but there ya go. Doesn't make it any less true for sounding sappy.
    Last edited by HerrBaron; Mar-04-2018 at 14:56.