Thread: 4.53 Won't start; I think it's STEAM

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

4.53 Won't start; I think it's STEAM

I purchased IL-2 many years ago when it was effectively busted. I knew what I was getting into. Steam was part of the purchase process. Like most here, I was happy to go through the process with CLOD and watch the game become playable.
    Years went by and then Blitz became a reality. But, when Blitz first came out I had a lot of problems getting it running. I spent days of trying all kinds of things, following lots of suggestions. Nothing worked. Finally, in desperation I deleted my Steam program from my computer and reloading Steam. I then downloaded Blitz once again. Took about two days of steady downloading. Extremely frustrating. But that fixed the issue and I was able to launch and play Blitz.

Now, yesterday, my Steam program reported that the game was again downloading ( I assumed the new update, was in progress: 4.53. ) Great! Watched my Steam program do it's automatic download. When complete, tried the game. Launcher failed!

I did get an error message of several lines. ( Eventually, I quit getting error messages, as I repeatedly tried the launcher. I was trying lots of things, such as making sure the Net software was updated, no Beta setting on Steam, etc. Anyway, the launcher eventually just did nothing, not even bothering to give an error message. ) Here is the only error message I ever received:

"Failed to start process for IL-2 Sturmovic: Cliffs of Dover Blitz:
    "The operation was cancelled by the user." (Ox4C7)
    See the Steam support site for more information

Needless to say, this user cancelled NOTHING!

Interestingly, when I logged into Steam, to see if there was help there I got the message that it looked like I was on a new computer. Maybe that is just the standard message, but no, I'm on the same computer I've used for years. I checked my account and all settings. Everything seemed normal. And, I had been able to run Blitz for many weeks before the 4.53 update. Nothing had changed. Steam had done everything, and now everything was screwed up, AGAIN!

I managed to send Steam a message, explaining all and especially noting their error code, Ox4C7.

I got a computer response saying they've received the message.

Once upon a time the game worked. Blitz worked, ( eventually ). Then Steam downloads the update, and it all stops. Just like when I went from CLOD to Blitz. I strongly believe the issue is STEAM, nothing more, nothing less.

For others who have experienced this failure for what should be an automatic process, I want you to know, IT'S NOT YOU!

I will let you know when, and if, I hear from STEAM. ( And yes, I still wish for the days when you purchased a game from a provider, got a disk, and it was yours, simple and clean... )

2. Likes BlueBirdX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: 4.53 Won't start; I think it's STEAM

Please check to make sure your Steam overlay is not enabled.

Also check this thread:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...ble-launching/

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Please check to make sure your Steam overlay is not enabled.

Also check this thread:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...ble-launching/
    Thanks for your response. The overlay is disabled. Net is up to date.

Basically, I've been through all the normal processes and suggestions back when I originally tried to start Blitz, when it first came out. Eventually the only solution was to delete STEAM and re-install STEAM, then re-download Blitz and try again.

With the 4.53 update, I've also searched Steam community ( using their own error code, which turned out to produce no usable information ) and tried some fairly exotic suggestions. For example, I went to my Steam folder and insured, in properties, that all files were not read only. I also tried changing DEP ( or related settings [ I forget the precise nomenclature, because it didn't work...] as suggested there, only to be told that the process can't be done. The little guy inside my computer sent me that message. He doesn't have suggestions, just gives me the finger and shakes his head "no"... )

I'm beginning to loose patience ( I've misplaced it a few times already ) and am tempted to try to delete STEAM and download again. Would be nice not to have to download Blitz again and go through the update, etc. But, I have a suspicion that if I don't do it all, that is somehow I back up and use that backup copy, the process won't work. And, that's assuming I can even figure out how to correctly backup the game for a quick re-install.

What really galls is that I suspect the issue is with some obscure STEAM setting or some related, long ago conflict, deeply buried and forgotten, either on my computer or at their place, and that each time there is a game update or change, I will end up going through all this again.

Through all the downloads and updates with the MOD of COD, I never had an issue. However, each time STEAM has been involved there has been an issue. Just shouldn't happen!

5. Likes GERMANWOLF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

You should read this thread and post the results:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=27253

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    You should read this thread and post the results:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=27253
    Thanks for your assistance. (For your info I'm running Windows 10.) I have followed the link you suggested and will show the results below. But first, let me update where I am. I'm not running Steam overlay. I've tried all suggestions I can find. Finally, I completely removed Steam and replaced Steam using the suggested (by Steam) method and software, of re-loading Steam, without having to download Blitz again. That didn't work. I then completely removed Steam and completely removed Blitz and downloaded both anew. Only took 24 hours. I did this because, when TF first posted Blitz to Steam this was the only way I could get Blitz to run. Unfortunately the process did not work this time and the update to Blitz, and Blitz, both are now non functional.

For your info, when I tried to run Blitz after the fresh download I got this error message:

"Failed to start process for IL-2 Sturmovic: Cliffs of Dover Blitz:
    "The operation was cancelled by the user." (Ox4C7)
    See the Steam support site for more information

This error message was somewhat similar to the error message I received when I dealt with launch issues when Blitz first was offered on Steam. On that occasion the actual error message was something to the effect that the sim wouldn't launch because I was already running Steam or the Sim (?), which of course I was not.

Ok, now to your request for error messages via Windows Even Viewer: The following is is the event description (described as "Event 18221, COMRuntime", which I only include here as this error is repeated several times, very close in time to the below errors which all do seem relevant to the launcher issue: "The attempt to connect to the RPCSS service was denied access for the COM Server application C:\Windows\system32\WerFault.exe to the user ((name of my computer,etc...) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). The most likely cause is that the machine wide Access Limits do not grant the user or application local access permissions. The Access Limits can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."
    (The next several errors were all the same.)

Then came an error description which seems to be very much on point:
    "Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a636906
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x4414ec23
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000014008
    Faulting process id: 0x1320
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b034ed3f4b37
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: aa21cdeb-de15-4b07-97a2-48cb6b7e2b8e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:"

The next error of relevance stated:
    "Application: Launcher64.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
    at Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])"

Then, again, another seemingly relevant error description:
    "Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a636906
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x4414ec23
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000014008
    Faulting process id: 0x2600
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b03497777ca0
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 206b377c-0521-4c09-90bb-1663098b7532
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:"

There are other error messages reported in this process, but the above seem to be relevant.

Hope this helps as things appear to be getting desperate.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ardu View Post
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
    at Launcher.Program.Main(System.String[])"
    This error suggests that your installation is missing a file (or files).

Did you try the "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES" option on Steam?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by xoriguer View Post
    This error suggests that your installation is missing a file (or files).

Did you try the "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES" option on Steam?
    Thanks for your interest. Yes, I did all the suggested processes.
    After the complete re-install of both STEAM and Blitz I checked to see if all files had been downloaded without error. The first response was that 3 files had issues but were being repaired. I waited a while and then restarted all. Next, the response was one file still had errors. Same process, eventually all files were reported to be without error. Interestingly, as I tried various ideas I would restart the computer and STEAM and re-check the files and upon doing that would always find one file needed repair. But each time that happened, I would re-start and then STEAM would report all files had been loaded without errors.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I did all the suggested processes.
    After the complete re-install of both STEAM and Blitz I checked to see if all files had been downloaded without error. The first response was that 3 files had issues but were being repaired. I waited a while and then restarted all. Next, the response was one file still had errors. Same process, eventually all files were reported to be without error. Interestingly, as I tried various ideas I would restart the computer and STEAM and re-check the files and upon doing that would always find one file needed repair. But each time that happened, I would re-start and then STEAM would report all files had been loaded without errors.
    Well, this is interesting. After the message from xoriguer, above, I again opened STEAM. Same process: one file had a problem. File repaired, Blitz still won't start. This time, after the failure to start I went back to STEAM and again checked the file integrity of Blitz: one file bad! Clearly (IMnotsoHO) there is a communication problem with STEAM and my computer. Somewhere in STEAM there is a configuration issue and it's not allowing the game to start on my computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Hi Ardu,
    What part of the world are u in ?
    24 hours to d'load CloD seems an awful long time. Not sure it would take that long even in Australia.
    What sort of internet connection do u have and what d'load speeds do u get ?
    Is Steam set to d'load from somewhere relatively near ?
    Have u tried clearing the download cache Steam--->Settings--->Downloads---Clear Download Cache (bottom tab).
    If u do clear the cache u will need to re-log in to Steam and reset the download location.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    Hi Ardu,
    What part of the world are u in ?
    24 hours to d'load CloD seems an awful long time. Not sure it would take that long even in Australia.
    What sort of internet connection do u have and what d'load speeds do u get ?
    Is Steam set to d'load from somewhere relatively near ?
    Have u tried clearing the download cache Steam--->Settings--->Downloads---Clear Download Cache (bottom tab).
    If u do clear the cache u will need to re-log in to Steam and reset the download location.
    Thanks for your interest...and g'day!
    I'm in northern Arizona, in an area frequented by zillions of tourists from all over. Our infrastructure is always behind the curve, for lots of reasons. Moreover, the internet has times that it is slower due to weather and demand. Several million visitors a year taxes this place in many respects. Anyway, the location for downloads via STEAM is Phoenix. As near as I can tell, right now my download speed is 0.63 Mbps.
    When I downloaded Steam for re-install the process was relatively timely. The real issue was downloading Blitz again. I just figured that was due to demand given that 4.53 was just out and the demand was high.
    As for clearing the cache, yes I've done that repeatedly. Still get the file-error messages after logging back on and checking file integrity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

Well, this is interesting. After the message from xoriguer, above, I again opened STEAM. Same process: one file had a problem. File repaired, Blitz still won't start. This time, after the failure to start I went back to STEAM and again checked the file integrity of Blitz: one file bad! Clearly (IMnotsoHO) there is a communication problem with STEAM and my computer. Somewhere in STEAM there is a configuration issue and it's not allowing the game to start on my computer.
    Hi Ardu,

do you have an antivirus? if yes, disable it (temporarily) and then verify again your files. Maybe the antivirus is quarantining some of the game's files.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by xoriguer View Post
    Hi Ardu,

do you have an antivirus? if yes, disable it (temporarily) and then verify again your files. Maybe the antivirus is quarantining some of the game's files.
    Again, thanks for your interest. I've previously disabled antivirus, when all this started. Basically, I've tried all the suggestions I can find, so far, and that's quite a number.
    There is quite a bit of history here which is why I'm fairly dogmatic in my view that STEAM has a configuration issue with my particular account. I won't go into all of it except (it is available elsewhere in the forum if you want reading material to put you to sleep...) to say I've run Cliffs of Dover since 2012, having purchased it via STEAM. I've learned a little about computers in that time and in fact assembled one just to run COD. So, throughout all the TF modifications I've hung in and also learned how to make little adjustments to the game and basically tried to take advantage of some of the many means offered by Team Fusion to turn a lemon (original COD) into the gem it is now. But, what little I've learned about computers is obviously not enough to deal with the current situation.
    At any rate, when Blitz came out some weeks ago, and was downloaded to and through STEAM I experienced my first problem. It manifested itself as an issue again between STEAM and my computer. (The short version: one issue: STEAM kept telling me I was already running STEAM when I was not...) After a tremendous amount of frustration and lots of attempts to follow all suggestions as to how to fix the problem, I eventually managed to work around it by downloading and re-installing both STEAM and Blitz. This was extremely time consuming and vexing. For some reason, in the present debacle, that same process, while still pitifully slow and extremely vexing, has not worked.
    So, hopefully my printing out the error messages above will mean something to the computer folks who truly understand the mysterious ways electrons zip around and cause airplanes to fly realistically on screen! I hope so, I really wanted to try 4.53 and I miss the flight sim experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Dang, 0.63Mbps is worse than I used to get in a very remote part of Australia.
    I see why it takes 24 hours to re-download CloD.
    When u removed Steam did u remove the Steam folder in Users--->(Your PC account name)--->AppData--->Local--->Steam ?
    U will need to go into (Your PC account name Folder) and clik up the top right "View" tab, go to the right hand side to "Options" then go to the View tab and check "Show hidden Files, Folders and Drives" to get the AppData folder to be viewable.
    Not sure if that folder gets deleted when u uninstall Steam so best to check if it is still there after uninstalling Steam and manually delete it if it hasn't been removed.
    And just to clutch at a straw or 2, your hard drive has plenty of space available doesn't it ?

Always helpful to post PC specs as well in any "______ won't launch/stopped working" thread.
    A lot of folk put their specs in their sig, saves time.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Thanks for your interest...and g'day!
    I'm in northern Arizona, in an area frequented by zillions of tourists from all over. Our infrastructure is always behind the curve, for lots of reasons. Moreover, the internet has times that it is slower due to weather and demand. Several million visitors a year taxes this place in many respects. Anyway, the location for downloads via STEAM is Phoenix. As near as I can tell, right now my download speed is 0.63 Mbps.
    When I downloaded Steam for re-install the process was relatively timely. The real issue was downloading Blitz again. I just figured that was due to demand given that 4.53 was just out and the demand was high.
    As for clearing the cache, yes I've done that repeatedly. Still get the file-error messages after logging back on and checking file integrity.
    Just out of interest, where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Tombstone?
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

When u removed Steam did u remove the Steam folder in Users--->(Your PC account name)--->AppData--->Local--->Steam ?
    U will need to go into (Your PC account name Folder) and clik up the top right "View" tab, go to the right hand side to "Options" then go to the View tab and check "Show hidden Files, Folders and Drives" to get the AppData folder to be viewable.
    Not sure if that folder gets deleted when u uninstall Steam so best to check if it is still there after uninstalling Steam and manually delete it if it hasn't been removed.
    And just to clutch at a straw or 2, your hard drive has plenty of space available doesn't it ?

Always helpful to post PC specs as well in any "______ won't launch/stopped working" thread.
    Dang! Dang??
    You sure you're not in Nebraska, in 1960? (Just kidding!). On a more serious note I think you might get a prize for originality. In all my travels and travails I never saw advice to remove the Steam folder you mentioned. And, if that's the kind of thing that might cause a conflict. Don't know how I missed that. Unless, this is a computer guy kinda thing, and since I'm not that guy, I won't feel too stupid.
    Now, I'd like very much to remove that folder, because yes, it exists. But, since I've already re-installed Steam, isn't it a little a little late to remove it? So, if I remove it now, does that mean I have to re-install Steam and then re-install Blitz? Additionally, I'm running Windows 10, but I'm 99.99% certain I found the correct folder. Here's the path: C:\Users\my name\AppData\Local
    As for the other question, yes, the hard drive has plenty of room.
    Again, thanks for your interest.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kling View Post
    Just out of interest, where do you live?
    Since my remote location seems to be of interest... (I have enemies, so I have to be careful not to reveal too much...) I live in northern Arizona. Technically Sedona, but actually a little village a few miles south: Oak Creek. The area is quite beautiful and draws folks from all over the world to visit. Which strains the infrastructure, which is always behind the curve. But it is a spectacular place to live, if you love the southwest, and I do. The folks are friendly, the Grand Canyon is close, and we are an easy 90 minute drive from Scottsdale, a very civilized town if you want to experience the best of big city culture. More importantly, I own a nice bike, a 2016 Harley Softail Deluxe, pretty well customized, which I take on trips, local and long distance, as this place is a great place for bikes, those with big engines and those without any engines. At the same time, Flagstaff with it's beautiful mountains, skiing, and cool summer days, is only 30 miles away.
    Finally, we have a saying around here: God made the Grand Canyon, but he lives in Sedona. Pretty well sums it up.

20. Likes Kling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Since my remote location seems to be of interest... (I have enemies, so I have to be careful not to reveal too much...) I live in northern Arizona. Technically Sedona, but actually a little village a few miles south: Oak Creek. The area is quite beautiful and draws folks from all over the world to visit. Which strains the infrastructure, which is always behind the curve. But it is a spectacular place to live, if you love the southwest, and I do. The folks are friendly, the Grand Canyon is close, and we are an easy 90 minute drive from Scottsdale, a very civilized town if you want to experience the best of big city culture. More importantly, I own a nice bike, a 2016 Harley Softail Deluxe, pretty well customized, which I take on trips, local and long distance, as this place is a great place for bikes, those with big engines and those without any engines. At the same time, Flagstaff with it's beautiful mountains, skiing, and cool summer days, is only 30 miles away.
    Finally, we have a saying around here: God made the Grand Canyon, but he lives in Sedona. Pretty well sums it up.
    I've been there, awesome place!! Oak Creek Canyon Rd North to Flagstaff is a fantastic drive. Looks a lot like driving in northern Ontario. Had my honeymoon their walking the red rocks. Loved every minute of it. You are a lucky man except for the horrible internet connection
    Last edited by Ohms; Mar-01-2018 at 14:18.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ohms View Post
    I've been there, awesome place!! Oak Creek Canyon Rd North to Flagstaff is a fantastic drive. Looks a lot like driving in northern Ontario. Had my honeymoon their walking the red rocks. Loved every minute of it. You are a lucky man except for the horrible internet connection
    You are correct, on both points!

Hope you return soon. We have lots of folks from Canada, some for the entire winter. I am happy to say I have some very good friends who are here from Canada each year and who stay several months. Great folks!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Well, I tried to remove the folder as suggested (AppData... etc.). Can't do it. I mean, you can, but as soon as you start Steam, the folder is installed. You can't remove it while Steam is running. Now, if I exit Steam, then remove the folder, then remove Steam then try to reinstall Steam, maybe that might work. By that I mean, uninstall Steam, like from the Control Panel, that might work. But, then I'm risking another complete reinstall of Blitz!! And, I truly don't know why, with the re-install of Steam, why the files re-installed again in the AppData, etc., folder would be any different? Wow, not sure I want to try that, again, yet, until all else fails. (Which could happen!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Well, I tried to remove the folder as suggested (AppData... etc.). Can't do it. I mean, you can, but as soon as you start Steam, the folder is installed. You can't remove it while Steam is running. Now, if I exit Steam, then remove the folder, then remove Steam then try to reinstall Steam, maybe that might work. By that I mean, uninstall Steam, like from the Control Panel, that might work. But, then I'm risking another complete reinstall of Blitz!! And, I truly don't know why, with the re-install of Steam, why the files re-installed again in the AppData, etc., folder would be any different? Wow, not sure I want to try that, again, yet, until all else fails. (Which could happen!)

Yes, what I meant was to delete that folder as part of a complete getting rid of Steam, including getting rid of Blitz (including the 1C SoftClub folder in Documents....u can save ur user.ini if u have custom ammo loadouts and ur controls.ini and put them back in later) and then re-installing both Steam and Blitz. I'm not guaranteeing this will fix it but a clean re-install means getting rid of any associated files/folders hiding in other locations. I would do a registry clean too once all is deleted with something like CCleaner and then re-install. But of course that's all easy for me to say as I can have Steam and Blitz re-downloaded in under an hour. I too would balk at another 24 hour marathon and would try to exhaust all other avenues.
    U didn't install any new printer software or anything like that did u b4 Blitz came out ?
    Are u running a single monitor setup or dual ?
    If u open the conf.ini in 1C SoftClub with notepad does the 1st part look something like this ?:

BOB]
    EpilepsyFilter=0

[window]
    DepthBits =24
    StencilBits=8
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    SaveAspect=0
    Render=D3D11
    width=1920
    height=1080
    posLeft=0
    posTop=0
    ColourBits=32
    FullScreen=1
    ChangeScreenRes=2
    Frequency=60
    StereoMode=0

Where "width" and "height" is a compatible resolution for your monitor. Just trying to eliminate the obvious like a borked resolution setting.
    System specs:

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Yes, what I meant was to delete that folder as part of a complete getting rid of Steam, including getting rid of Blitz (including the 1C SoftClub folder in Documents....u can save ur user.ini if u have custom ammo loadouts and ur controls.ini and put them back in later) and then re-installing both Steam and Blitz. I'm not guaranteeing this will fix it but a clean re-install means getting rid of any associated files/folders hiding in other locations. I would do a registry clean too once all is deleted with something like CCleaner and then re-install. But of course that's all easy for me to say as I can have Steam and Blitz re-downloaded in under an hour. I too would balk at another 24 hour marathon and would try to exhaust all other avenues.
    U didn't install any new printer software or anything like that did u b4 Blitz came out ?
    Are u running a single monitor setup or dual ?
    If u open the conf.ini in 1C SoftClub with notepad does the 1st part look something like this ?:

BOB]
    EpilepsyFilter=0

[window]
    DepthBits =24
    StencilBits=8
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    SaveAspect=0
    Render=D3D11
    width=1920
    height=1080
    posLeft=0
    posTop=0
    ColourBits=32
    FullScreen=1
    ChangeScreenRes=2
    Frequency=60
    StereoMode=0

Where "width" and "height" is a compatible resolution for your monitor. Just trying to eliminate the obvious like a borked resolution setting.
    No, no new software, accessories, or anything related recently installed. Only 1 monitor employed.
    Since Blitz never successfully installed, there is no IC.... folder in Documents. So, the only place conf.ini resides right now is in Steam. Here's the guts of that file:
    [BOB]

[window]
    DepthBits =24
    StencilBits=8
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    SaveAspect=0

[NET]
    speed=1000000
    localPort=27015
    serverName=My Server
    serverDescription=IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
    serverInfo1=
    serverInfo2=
    serverInfo3=
    serverInfo4=
    VAC=1
    maxPlayers=255
    socksEnable=0
    socksHost=
    socksPort=1080
    socksUser=
    socksPwd=

[Console]
    IP=20001
    UseStartLog=1
    WRAP=1
    PAUSE=1
    HISTORY=1024
    HISTORYCMD=1024
    PAGE=20
    LOG=1
    LOGTIME=1
    LOAD=console.cmd
    SAVE=console.cmd
    LOGFILE=log.txt
    LOGKEEP=0

[rts]
    ; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
    mouseUse=2
    ; 0 - not use, 1 - use if hardware exist
    joyUse=1
    trackIRUse=1

[rts_mouse]
    SensitivityX=1.0
    SensitivityY=1.0
    SensitivityZ=1.0
    Invert=0
    SwapButtons = 0

[rts_joystick]
    FF=1

[core]
    RandSeed = 0
    TexQual=3
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
    Shadows=1
    SpecularLight=2
    DiffuseLight=2
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=1
    LandShading=1
    LandDetails=1
    Sky=3
    Forest=2
    VisibilityDistance=3
    LandGeom=2
    DrawCollisions=1
    Water=-1
    Effects=1
    EffFlags.Light=1
    EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
    Grass=3
    CordEffect=1
    UseFog=0
    UseLandCube=1
    UseLandConnectedObject=1
    LinearObjectManager=1
    Roads=1
    Sun=1
    Clouds=1
    EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
    ShadowMapSize=5
    TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
    TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
    SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
    SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
    SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
    EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
    CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
    TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
    Decals=1
    EffFlags.SWLight=0
    TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
    MegaTexture=0
    TexFlags.Reflection=0
    RenderTargetQual=3
    MSAA=0
    MeshStatics=1
    MeshStaticsDetail=2
    SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
    MeshFirstLod=0
    MeshShowLod=0
    SpawnHumans=0

[sound]
    SoundUse=1
    DebugSound=0
    SoundEngine=1
    Speakers=1
    Placement=0
    SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
    RadioFlags.Enabled=1
    RadioEngine=2
    MusicVolume=14
    ObjectVolume=7
    MusState.takeoff=1
    MusState.inflight=1
    MusState.crash=1
    MusFlags.play=1
    MasterVolume=14
    Attenuation=7
    SoundMode=0
    SamplingRate=0
    NumChannels=2
    SoundExt.occlusions=1
    SoundFlags.hardware=1
    SoundFlags.streams=1
    SoundFlags.duplex=1
    SoundExt.acoustics=1
    SoundExt.volumefx=1
    SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
    SoundFlags.static=1
    VoiceVolume=8
    Channels=1
    SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
    SoundExt.extrender=0
    SoundSetupId=8
    ActivationLevel=0.02
    Preemphasis=0.8
    RadioLatency=0.5
    AGC=1
    PTTMode=1
    RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
    RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
    ActLevel=9
    MicLevel=10
    SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
    SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
    SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
    speakers=1

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Cool Re: 4.53 Won't start; I think it's STEAM

No, no new software, accessories, or anything related recently installed. Only 1 monitor employed.
    Since Blitz never successfully installed, there is no IC.... folder in Documents. So, the only place conf.ini resides right now is in Steam. Here's the guts of that file:
    [BOB]

[window]
    DepthBits =24
    StencilBits=8
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    SaveAspect=0

[NET]
    speed=1000000
    localPort=27015
    serverName=My Server
    serverDescription=IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
    serverInfo1=
    serverInfo2=
    serverInfo3=
    serverInfo4=
    VAC=1
    maxPlayers=255
    socksEnable=0
    socksHost=
    socksPort=1080
    socksUser=
    socksPwd=

[Console]
    IP=20001
    UseStartLog=1
    WRAP=1
    PAUSE=1
    HISTORY=1024
    HISTORYCMD=1024
    PAGE=20
    LOG=1
    LOGTIME=1
    LOAD=console.cmd
    SAVE=console.cmd
    LOGFILE=log.txt
    LOGKEEP=0

[rts]
    ; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
    mouseUse=2
    joyUse=1
    trackIRUse=1

[rts_mouse]
    SensitivityX=1.0
    SensitivityY=1.0
    SensitivityZ=1.0
    Invert=0
    SwapButtons = 0

[rts_joystick]
    FF=1

[core]
    RandSeed = 0
    TexQual=3
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
    Shadows=1
    SpecularLight=2
    DiffuseLight=2
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=1
    LandShading=1
    LandDetails=1
    Sky=3
    Forest=2
    VisibilityDistance=3
    LandGeom=2
    DrawCollisions=1
    Water=-1
    Effects=1
    EffFlags.Light=1
    EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
    Grass=3
    CordEffect=1
    UseFog=0
    UseLandCube=1
    UseLandConnectedObject=1
    LinearObjectManager=1
    Roads=1
    Sun=1
    Clouds=1
    EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
    ShadowMapSize=5
    TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
    TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
    SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
    SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
    SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
    EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
    CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
    TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
    Decals=1
    EffFlags.SWLight=0
    TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
    MegaTexture=0
    TexFlags.Reflection=0
    RenderTargetQual=3
    MSAA=0
    MeshStatics=1
    MeshStaticsDetail=2
    SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
    MeshFirstLod=0
    MeshShowLod=0
    SpawnHumans=0

[sound]
    SoundUse=1
    DebugSound=0
    SoundEngine=1
    Speakers=1
    Placement=0
    SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
    RadioFlags.Enabled=1
    RadioEngine=2
    MusicVolume=14
    ObjectVolume=7
    MusState.takeoff=1
    MusState.inflight=1
    MusState.crash=1
    MusFlags.play=1
    MasterVolume=14
    Attenuation=7
    SoundMode=0
    SamplingRate=0
    NumChannels=2
    SoundExt.occlusions=1
    SoundFlags.hardware=1
    SoundFlags.streams=1
    SoundFlags.duplex=1
    SoundExt.acoustics=1
    SoundExt.volumefx=1
    SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
    SoundFlags.static=1
    VoiceVolume=8
    Channels=1
    SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
    SoundExt.extrender=0
    SoundSetupId=8
    ActivationLevel=0.02
    Preemphasis=0.8
    RadioLatency=0.5
    AGC=1
    PTTMode=1
    RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
    RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
    ActLevel=9
    MicLevel=10
    SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
    SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
    SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
    speakers=1

OK, [B]EVERYONE HOLD ON... IT'S RUNNING!!
    I wish I could say why or how. I'll speculate in a minute with another post, shortly. Just wanted to let folks know with this post. Thanks to all who have offered advice and encouragement.

27. Likes farley liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

OK, [B]EVERYONE HOLD ON... IT'S RUNNING!!

I wish I could say why or how. I'll speculate in a minute with another post, shortly. Just wanted to let folks know with this post. Thanks to all who have offered advice and encouragement.
    This really beats me. I have done nothing new this evening. Just stared at the screen and tried to think of something. I did notice, while looking at Steam, my library page with Blitz on it, that a file was being downloaded and then showed it was completely downloaded. I assumed this was the update to Blitz, 4.53, which started this entire misadventure, and which must have been triggered when I re-installed Blitz. I thought no more about the file download.

Anyway after a few minutes of looking around Steam, staring at the wall, and basically wondering what other flight sims I might want to try, I clicked on Blitz. Well, it took a while, then acted like it was starting. Then it did!! Of course my control settings are all back to default positions, but that's easy to fix. I've started that already (which is why this is on the laptop.)
    I can only think of three possibilities. 1) Someone here on this forum, with horsepower and knowledge has been following this and tweaked something and it fixed the issue. (Notice the specifics listed in this theory! Kind of like my answers in college, organic chemistry, trying to explain a synthesis:1 page of stalling then "and then a miracle happened!" ) 2) Someone at Steam, who has been offering assistance should I post a screen grab of the error message ( I did, then never heard from them..) finally got busy and fixed an issue at their end (yep, I know you're thinking I should make an offer on a purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge...), and finally 3) Steam downloaded the update, 4.53, and while Blitz never worked after my re-installs, nevertheless with all the tinkering, somehow something was corrected by the time the update was once again downloaded, and shaaazaaam!

I don't know. All I know is I'm headed back to finish setting up the controls and ammo, and I'm going to take this thing for a ride!

Thanks all!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    561.74 MB

Nevermind...
    Last edited by HerrBaron; Mar-01-2018 at 23:07.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Good to hear things are running, have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Is Steam Cloud is OFF for CloD ?
    System specs: