Thread: iL2CoD RLM colors creation chart source ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

iL2CoD RLM colors creation chart source ?

Hi,
    Varrattu says 'I use the iL2CoD RLM colours creation chart.

Where can I get this chart from ?
    see attached image.

Also is there one for the RAF ?

Cheers

BOBC
    iL2CloD_RLM65.png

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Re: iL2CoD RLM colors creation chart source ?

Anyone ?

Cheers

BOBC
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi,
    Varrattu says 'I use the iL2CoD RLM colours creation chart.

Where can I get this chart from ?
    see attached image.

Also is there one for the RAF ?

Cheers

BOBC
    iL2CloD_RLM65.png

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Hello Bobc

I'm not sure where Varrattu got his from. Most links ive found are old and for IL2-1946. I found nothing for Clod. Perhaps if Varratu sees this he will provide a link.

In the meantime here are links to some things I did find - I only looked for RLM not RAF-

RLM colour in CYMK format in an Adobe Illustrator format by Spektre, a noted BOS skinner:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...olors-2013v-3/

Below the heading link there is a post containing a link to a webpage of RLM colour references from 1941 provided by Panzabar, another noted (and now official) skinner for BOS

Also I found this on M4T - its for IL2-1946 and its and aco set - may be of some use to you.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=3681

Regards

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

varrattu

5. Likes danperin, BOO liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Thanks Boo and Varrattu.

that swatch file for Pshop is odd, imported it into swatches ,I can see it, pipette hover gives name, but no way to get it to appear into the foreground colour, must be doing something wrong.
    Tried for some time as well.

Charts showing true rlm colours are no use as CoD wont display these as seen, needs a chart of CoD skinning colours that become the true rlm colours when flown !

will try these and see what they give, maybe the chart within CoD is that cod skin chart. Wish though I could get the swatch colours in the download to appear for brush etc work.

BOBC

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Not sure what the problem is. I just took a screenshot of varrattu's post, opened it up in photo shop along with a skin. In skin window, go to select, color picker. Then use the picker and click on one of the squares that you want, then your color will change to whatever you picked. Add the color to a new swatch.

Desktop Screenshot 2018.03.31 - 07.49.25.71.png

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    varrattu

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    ... Charts showing true rlm colours are no use as CoD wont display these as seen, needs a chart of CoD skinning colours that become the true rlm colours when flown! ...
    BOBC
    I have no idea what true RLM colors are.

The aircrafts from production line were delivered in certain camouflage which was modified at front line. Paints reacted to differently weather and high altitude radiation. To make this confusion perfect, we have to know that not only in the last months of war every bottle of old and new color was used and had been mixed. All in all the historical sources as a whole are very poor.

As long as you use a colour that's close enough, I personally don't think it makes any difference. In my opinion the iL2CoD colors are good to handle.

Wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to worry about color management? As far as useability goes, most people who use image editing programs today will tell you that color management isn't particularly easy to understand. If it were, there wouldn't be so many color management tutorials out there on the web and so many questions about color management being asked in user forums...

sRGB is standard for game design. Anyone who's ever developed gaming software will tell you eliminating color management made writing programs easier. I bet, iL2CoD uses sRGB color profil like other Video games.

Please choose sRGB when editing templates and not some other color space. sRGB's 6500K (D65) white point was chosen to be a good compromise. The sRGB gamma curve is based on a compromise between all the various gamma curves inherent in imaging devices (monitors, displays).

So if you have profiled your monitor, then whether sRGB adequately describes your monitor is an important question.

~V~

PS: In order to take advantage of full color correction you need to use an overlay like ReShade and a calibration program like DisplayCal to create a 3D LUT which can be applied to the game. Some games don’t allow overlays, but iL2CoD does.
    Last edited by varrattu; Apr-01-2018 at 18:37.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by varrattu View Post
    I have no idea what true RLM colors are.

I bet, iL2CoD uses sRGB color profil like other Video games.

Please choose sRGB when editing templates and not some other color space. sRGB's 6500K (D65) white point was chosen to be a good compromise. The sRGB gamma curve is based on a compromise between all the various gamma curves inherent in imaging devices (monitors, displays).

So if you have profiled your monitor, then whether sRGB adequately describes your monitor is an important question.
    Hi,
    thanks for the advice.
    My monitor is calibrated to AdobeRGB and I need to keep it as such, I cannot have it switching between profiles as one moment I am working on photos then I am taking time out for CoD etc.
    I am saving the skins with no ICC as I found when opening them. Pshop offers Adobe RGB1998 or none, so I cant save as sRGB without altering preferences which means forever keeping a watch on my settings and switching them back and forth, I will forget and edit a photo in the wrong profile.

Seeing the skins I opened from CM6 are no ICC and looked good I am going with that for the mo.

I am working to Merrick 1938 chart for RLM, for my own interests and I know the results will look like my collection of rare Luft colour pics, and more importantly replicate 30yrs of research into Luft. Merrick is now the bible as such. I have studied rlm70 71 65 for decades and so wish to replicate the low contrast these have, as well as correct the errors made on 65 over the years. yes colours varied but after decades of studying such I am aiming at Merrick as it cannot be bettered now and fits with what I have seen, including taken at the time panels with paint on.

Cheers

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Apr-02-2018 at 16:49.