Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss the Beau

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Lets discuss the Beau

Good time for a discussion about the Beau. Now who wants to start it?

Come on, we should have started it by now....

Ok, let forget the Beau. Lets talk about the Spit. Good time to talk about the Spit..
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

2. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Lets discuss the Beau

Spitfires are Awesome!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I think the warm up time for the Beau is spot on. What do you think Sp00k?
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Beau = my pretend whirly ..

((( Ryzen 5 - 3600X CPU @ 3.8 GHz )))
    ((( MSI GForce GTX 1080 Gaming X )))
    ((( 32 G Ram )))
    ((( Win 10 professional 64 )))
    ((( Samsung 4K monitor )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Beau?

Well, there was Beau Brummell, some kind of dandy as far as I know. And then there is Beau Bridges, who is a very good actor.
    Hmmm ...
    Or do you mean short for Beaumont, which could either refer to a city in Belgium or in California or to a fashion label or ...

Anyway, I think the whole thing just takes to long ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Well, lets first establish the rules of the discussion in the interests of objectivity and a postive mindset.

1. No adverse negativity
    2. Real life facts are interesting but may be discarded in the interest of gameplay
    3. I am always right and
    4. We conclude the Beau's start up time is not conducive to gameplay or my mental wellbeing

Right, now that the administration is taken care of....

I think the Beau's start up time is too long. (Insert shocked looks here).

The Beau is a beautiful aircraft well placed in the game with a distinct role and method of combat, adding uniqueness to our little virtual world. It is not without its foibles however. (someone check the Theasaurus on "foibles" but save it for another thread).

The Beau has limited FOV forward. It has no rear protective element. Courtesy of a strange game mechanic, for most players who dont think to ask or fall into catergory 2 (my own) where you have asked and still dont understand how, their observer remains tight lipped after you visit him once and from them on, you scan the skies yourself and hope that your timing is good.

i.e. For all its redeeming qualities, it isnt going to be everyones cup of tea. I would venture that less people fly the Beau than they do any other aircraft, including its nemises, the 110, for these reasons.

This limits the Beau to the diehards. That exceptionally stubborn group who recognise it for the lady it is and will brave the inside of a hangar or god forbid, almost certain death, upon a field where the inevitable sun spot will materialise into a 110 or a 109 who's pilot will be drooling in his cockpit at the sight of yet another rare fool on the ground watching his temp gauges instead of warming up the closest Spitfire.

These few, these merry band of brothers, more often than not will chance their very lives. once and once only, warming up the Beau a mere single occassion per map. A feared of moving into the Observer seat less he shut up and they miss the telling call of enemy planes nearby. Post this act of bravery or foolhardiness, where upon the lack of rear protection or stupidity leads to their inevitable deaths, they will ask themselves, would I do it again? Well, would I????

I dont think so. After paying homage to the god of Patience once, there are only so many years left in a young mans life. He has to surive the war, marry, have children, grow old with his loved ones before passing on to another place. Sitting in the Beau for a second warm up stint, could mean his seed will have dried up and the chance to pass on his genes to another generation will be lost. His intended wife will likely move on to some American Doughboy with too much money in a land where its young men are warming up Beau's on a field some where and not at home watching for the placement of lit candles on the window sill at night.

Now its long warmup time may be a "feature." It may be true to historical record and it may never be a quick start ride likes its bretheren across the pond or its smaller cousins beside it on the ground. But I wager, this excellent aircraft is being underused. Not because of its gun or because some dont believe it as fast as its portrayed, nor its limited forward vision or the mute gimp in the back with a mouth full of sandwhiches, but because by the time we get it warmed up, the needles of our little Christmas trees have fallen to the cockpit floor as we spend another year under perspex because we we foolhardy enough to step into the thing back in February the year before.

I encourage all to fly the Beaufighter. We need more of them if for nothing else to add to the voice of the people. "The people united will never be defeated!" I am but once voice. A wisp of wind in the storm. A spec upon the shores of humanity. Listen to a mean of bearing. A man who determined history, who's voice cannot be quietened with the hushed words of "well this was how it was back in the day". Listen to Henry V who foresaw the creation of the beaufighter centuries later and rallied the men at Agincourt on the prospect of a plane sent from god himself with a warm up time conducive to ones sanity and brings the promis of victory to the Kings armies and death from above to its foes.

Beaufighter warm up day - Henry V

"He that outlives this warm up time, and comes safe home,

Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,

And rouse him at the name of Beaufighter pilot.

He that shall live this day, and see old age having flown the beaufighter at least twice in one map,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,

And say 'To-morrow is Beaufighter warm up day:'

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars, his tired eyes and thumbs from position shifting.

And say 'These wounds I had on Beaufighter warmup day. coutesy of 3 109s and 4 110s'

Old men forget: those who climbed into their cockpits at age 21, yet all shall be forgot during the next beau warm up period,

But he'll remember with advantages

What feats he did that day: as he checks gauges and bounces from pilot to observer to pilot to observer, then shall our names.

Familiar in his mouth as household words ......"#$(*#$^@*%% this $*#*Y$#( Thing!"

He starts to blather on a bit here with some totally abstract verbosity not even remotely Beaufighter warm up time related and then.....

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,

Let him take a Spitfire; his passport shall be made

And crowns for convoy put into his purse:

We would not die in that man's company

That fears his fellowship to die with us inside the cockpit of a Beaufighter waiting for it to warm up and climb its sorry a55 into the air."

Words of inspiration wouldnt you say?

Lets rally as one voice, Henry V on our side. Lets break out the free hugs signs and encourage our youth to join us with balloon animals and promises of late night TV watching.

Call for the shortening of the Beau start up time.

Not because I asked you to. Not because Henry V once of the great British kings implored you too, but because its the right thing to do! Beaufighterwarmuptoo hashtag.

Give the Beau pilots a chance to have children, too marry, to grow old. Let them take pleasure in starting that beautiful war maiden and taking her into the skies.

We beseach thee. Give the beaufighter purpose. She has wings, let her use them!
    Last edited by SIA_Sp00k; Mar-03-2018 at 06:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Don't forget Beau Geste -

never read it fully - the story just took to long to get going..
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

9. Likes Basha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Warm ups - never really bothered me - I'm happy as it is but wouldn't complain if they were shortened. The Beau 1F is a long haul strategy reliant aircraft - patience is a virtue so the warm up is a nice "attitude filter" If someone cant be arsed to wait a couple of minutes before John Wayning it across the field then you probably wont get the best out of it tactically either. Not saying you do Sp00k but players are players.

The observer - you're possibly doing it wrong - In the past the game puts you in the last two positions you used. Here I am assuming it still does. if you want to unpossessed the body of Bob in the Back in something like a Stuka or 110 or Beau you need to bind a key to the FIRST or higher of the "External Views" - this gives Bob back his stunning personality and wakes him back up whilst returning you to the last position (in this case the driving seat). But even then he'll only call once as I remember - after that he nods off. I beleive Modlers put a fuller post up about doing it in the 110. Since the Beau is a two seat aircraft I assume its the same.

As with everything - if your really don't wanna get jumped fly in pairs with a good combat spread and with a wingie you trust to actually do his job of watching your six. Its possibly a tactic you could discuss as you warmed up.........

FOV
    - not sure about it being limited forward - the pilot is sat too far back however so the views out to the 4 n 7 are hampered (look at where the seat is in the screen when you look to the side and down - its in the centre of your neck whereas in the other aircraft its more in line with your virtual shoulder where it should be. I raised it in the testing but its probably one for the longer term bugtracker. Probably affects players who don't use TIR or the like only. So, like FFB, the affected are a minority. As such when it comes to the TFS time spent versus overall gain math its understandable that its not a high priority.

The 110 - I'm not sure you can compare the use of it like for like - the Beau is a long punching Heavyweight with a limited vocabulary. The 110 is a little more Frank Bruno in that it can also muddle through the occasional Pantomime (or the Clod equivalent which is dropping a Bomb or two at low level)

.....and you missed the default markings ---100% inaccurate for the period and type, shockingly stark and a layout only used by a couple of CC squads later in the war.

.....and you missed the different gunfight in the external view

and.....

Personally, I think even with the few bugz or features, the TFS Beaufighter is a great piece of work. The cockpit is outstanding and it feels like a 10 tonne fighter. The warm up time (notice I didn't say "long") are not a bar to enjoying it to me but I also see and agree with your point of view in terms of players in MP not taking it. My argument to that however would be that I wouldn't want to wing in a Beau with a pilot who had no patience as they are likely to mess up the plan once in the air.

S!

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Mar-05-2018 at 09:57. Reason: something was A A T

11. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Well, after being shot down in my Beau because of this tightlipped bloke in the back seat, I sometimes hop into a Blennie.
    This is simple for an old man like me, because the start up time ist just as long and I don't have to get used to new things.
    If I manage to leave the airfield then I usually have the joy of hearing: 'Skipper, 109 six o'clock high' and wondering if he remembers that the longish thingies in front of him can actually spit out bullets from their forward end.
    After this I usually spawn again in a Beau, just because it is so much fun to hear the engines roar once they start revving (after quite some time of warming up).

What really puzzles me is that you don't get any indication when the time is right from your instruments. Very soon after starting the show about 12 degrees oil and 30 degrees engine tempereature. If you touch the throttle then the engines die. Then you wait a (rather long) time and eventually you will be able to give full throttle while the instruments still faithfully show 12 and 30 degrees.
    Maybe if you could watch (given the position of the instruments in the cockpit naturally only using the cursor) the temperatures rising slowly to a given point, when it is save to touch the throttle, this would help to pass the time (which is by no means too short, if I may say so).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I forgot:

besides the patience required for warming up I think the Beau is still lacking missions with attractive targets, such as ships loaded with explosives or lots and lots of fuel trucks that go 'booom'.

It may be childish, but I just love this 'booom'.

14. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

One thing I learned abut my 5 flights in Beufighter. I never land it, and I get PK if attacked . Other than that it is my favorite plane

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hey Sp00k,

When you are in your rear observer seat what keys do you press to go back to the pilot and hand control of the rear observer back to the ai?

In the -110 you have to alt-f2 to hand the gun back to the ai gunner and reactivate call outs etc. if u just use c then the rear gunner isnt reactivated and you have no call outs etc.

Sorry if u knew this already or is different in the beau.

Ezzie

17. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

I have a key each to the two external view commands and I click them both with little result. I have changed those key maps to switches on the TM Throttle but other than that, the process should be the same. Once in ATAG, I was weirdly kicked into external view while in a hangar and then punted from the game. (I am blaming that on some random unaccountable glitch rather than game mechanic).

That said, its not the observer to pilot issue that concerns me so much. I can live with that for the time being. I do believe that, that particular design flaw should be changed as quickly as possible for new players I have said it many times that its the little things in the game that should be addressed to make the biggest difference, not deserts and new planes, sounds nor FM. (I get that arguement too). The problem for the TFS crew is pleasing us all and we all know thats a bridge to far for any team.

I am happy to fly the Beau in pairs. Often do as it complements its role and scope in game. I am happy (having taken a leaf out of Ezzies 110 tactics book) to fly around until the entire fuel tank of the Beau is dry and may only make 2 -3 substantive attacks. I am all about survivability in the Beau. Patience is my middle name, once in the air. As you point out Boo, its not a virtue shared by all and in that, there lies the holistic problem.

The warm up time is not in my opinion conducive to making even the diehard Beau pilot want to get in it and go through all that a second time. Repeatedly I hear complaints of disbelief from other players ingame about the length of time including those who give up on it and climb into something else mid warmup. Factual or not, its hurting the use of the Beau and in my opinion, detracting from what otherwise is a brilliant addition to the game. (if used correctly).

There is no arguement, TFS have other bigger fish to fry before anyone dedicates themselves to the Beau and any perceptions of issues. No doubt they are working to a plan and managing expectations from all stakeholders inside and outside the game. Neither however, do I think the issue of the Beaus warmup time should be missed or slide into oblivion at the bottom of the whiteboard.

I think the Beau is a great opportunity for the game and I fear its an opportunity thats going to be missed due to this one small seemingly unimportant issue. This plane should have grabbed us all by the horns and spurred the game into a new dimension. Perhaps my TZ is out of whack, but I am not seeing it.

So I ask for it to be reviewed. I ask that it be placed more in line with where it was in 4.3.2.1.0 (?). Increase it a fraction more than that if for whatever reason that was considered too short, but at present, it is far too long with no good purpose and it detrimental to its enjoyment.

With all of the above, perhaps its just me? Perhaps I am imagining the breadth of discontent with that once facet of the game having becoming fixated like a hawk on a rabbit. Hence the reason for this thread. A small space on the web for others to raise it as concern, if it is indeed a concern. I think it is, but I am only one. Noone in their right mind, changes things for one person.
    Last edited by SIA_Sp00k; Mar-03-2018 at 19:19.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

The Beau is a fabulous back seat flyer. I have everything I need with airspeed, altitude, and heading (if you look down there somewhere). I can also align the ADF antenna during a backseat inverted maneuver, continue the turn blind from the front, and meet the intended target on the way round.
    Now I just need to fly it again after being so busy..

-Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Warm ups - never really bothered me - I'm happy as it is but wouldn't complain if they were shortened. The Beau 1F is a long haul strategy reliant aircraft - patience is a virtue so the warm up is a nice "attitude filter" If someone cant be arsed to wait a couple of minutes before John Wayning it across the field then you probably wont get the best out of it tactically either. Not saying you do Sp00k but players are players.

The observer - you're possibly doing it wrong - In the past the game puts you in the last two positions you used. Here I am assuming it still does. if you want to unpossessed the body of Bob in the Back in something like a Stuka or 110 or Beau you need to bind a key to the SECOND or lower of the "External Views" - this gives Bob back his stunning personality and wakes him back up whilst returning you to the last position (in this case the driving seat). But even then he'll only call once as I remember - after that he nods off. I beleive Modlers put a fuller post up about doing it in the 110. Since the Beau is a two seat aircraft I assume its the same.
    Of the two "External Views" you need to set a key for the upper one.

Here is my tutorial about how to manage the rear AI gunner ( that should be similar in theory ): https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...unner+tutorial
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

21. Likes BOO, ATAG_Deacon, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

oops!! - apologies FIRST ONE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Werner " Blauer Teufel " Mölders View Post
    Of the two "External Views" you need to set a key for the upper one.

Here is my tutorial about how to manage the rear AI gunner ( that should be similar in theory ): https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...unner+tutorial
    You, sir, are a genius.

I can confirm that this indeed works for the Beaufighter. Until now I had Position #1 (pilot) and Position #2 (observer) assigned to my joystick and found that upon switching to the rear-facing observer position I lost the enemy callouts by the observer AI.

Upon following your instructions at the link you provided, the AI observer callouts were preserved once I had regained my pilot's seat. I tested this on the Beta 4.5.3 Server 2 (since the Main Server 1 didn't have Beaufighters on the map at the time). It was very quick to do - I created a Beaufighter at the airspawn near Shoreham, then manually selected an enemy Heinkel 111 formation to be created just south of that position. As I flew towards this enemy formation, I switched back and forth from pilot to observer...as we neared the enemy bombers the observer faithfully called out "Enemy bombers at 12 o'clock".

Good stuff!

After that, just for fun, I selected my External View joystick button while in the pilot's seat. Just as you said, I was thrown out of the plane and lost control of it. LOL
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Mar-05-2018 at 10:15.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    You, sir, are a genius.

I can confirm that this indeed works for the Beaufighter. Until now I had Position #1 (pilot) and Position #2 (observer) assigned to my joystick and found that upon switching to the rear-facing observer position I lost the enemy callouts by the observer AI.

Upon following your instructions at the link you provided, the AI observer callouts were preserved once I had regained my pilot's seat. I tested this on the Beta 4.5.3 Server 2 (since the Main Server 1 didn't have Beaufighters on the map at the time). It was very quick to do - I created a Beaufighter at the airspawn near Shoreham, then manually selected an enemy Heinkel 111 formation to be created just south of that position. As I flew towards this enemy formation, I switched back and forth from pilot to observer...as we neared the enemy bombers the observer faithfully called out "Enemy bombers at 12 o'clock".

Good stuff!

After that, just for fun, I selected my External View joystick button while in the pilot's seat. Just as you said, I was thrown out of the plane and lost control of it. LOL

Sooooooooo......er........Sticky and include it in Lew's welcome post??? Molders put this solution in a guide a couple of years ago and yet here we see even experience players have no idea about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

That's exactly what I was thinking Boo. After Snappers post I was like Geezus Snap..how many hours in this sim do you have, and didn't know that. That got me thinking at how daunting this sim has to be for players that have 10s of hours in, and not 1000s like you have. Granted most of them are in a Spitty. It just goes to show how confusing it has to be for new players. It's Soo many small things like having 2 Key options in the Control sections, but only one is the correct 1. How many players are flying around with the observer non existent..and then having the same thing happen in a Blenni or any other rear firing position. I'm not slamming you Snapper..by any means. Your post just made me realize that we all need to be patient with new players and help as many as we can. That's up to us as Vetran players. I also feel that the GUI really needs overhauled and made more user friendly. ( Not to mention more WW2 BoB themed like EAW ..but that's another topic and discussion)It scares me that we do loose alot of players that goes unseen out of pure frustration. It needs to be way more streamlined. Little things like a "Start here " placed above the Flags..Just to give new players a starting place. And then continue from there. I know that takes alot of time( like the Beau warm-up) but I think it's just as important as a new theater or new planes. Sorry to hijack the thread. Spook I am with you on the warm-up time on the Beau. The directions I was giving you were based on the Blenni and Spit/ Hurricane warmup sequence. I tried it on the Beau and it was no where as easy as I made it out to be. It was close to 4-5 min before I could get it to clean up enough to taxi and take off. ( This was after Buzz clarified that all Carburated engine warmup times were decreased in 4.53.) I think it's not something that can or will be addressed till 5.0 if at all..but one good thing is that it's warmer in the desert so that in itself should help out all aircraft warmup times. From what I understand outside ambient temperature does affect aircraft warmup times. Correct me if I'm wrong Buzz. I love this sim and can't wait to see where the future goes with it. Thanks again TFS.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Mar-05-2018 at 11:47.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

26. Likes farley, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    Geezus Snap..how many hours in this sim do you have, and didn't know that. That got me thinking at how daunting this sim has to be for players that have 10s of hours in, and not 1000s like you have. Granted most of them are in a Spitty.
    Wrongo, Ribbo. *ALL* of them are in the Spitty.

The Beaufighter is the first multiengine I’ve flown in Cliffs of Dover, and certainly the first aircraft with more than one seating position. It’s been a wonderful challenge and certainly a whole new experience. So far my time in Beaus would be measured in the 10s of hours, just like new players. For those with 1000’s of hours in multiengines, please ignore my posts - I’m just a newbie!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thumbs up for Werner from me as well. A kind of a "newbie" player here - on one hand have had CloD since its release, on the other though, never really flown it much because of lack of theatre of ops and airplanes I was really interested in. Impressive 60 hours total clocked between 2011 and release of Blitz . That all kind of changed with introduction of Beau, my favourite UK-built twin - now I've got some motivation to re-learn the sim and play it, but boy oh boy, you only notice how blatantly unfriendly it is when coming back after months/years of inactivity, filled with playing more streamlined offerings.

Werner's step-by-step tutorial is crucial, I didn't even know gunners in CloD were becoming mute after switching positions "normal" way, while Boo's explanation in post #8 didn't really explain anything and made things even more confusing for a guy like me, not familar with all shenanigans of control assignment menu.

Back on topic, a couple of Beau-questions if you guys don't mind:

a) So far I've noticed that the "warmup cheat" of force-pushing the throttles through "engine splutter effect" like in Merlin powered planes still works, but only when oil temp is close to 20-ish degrees, is that always the case?;

b) Is it me, or the algorithm of engine CHT increase/decrease goes bonkers when trying to accelerate warmup process? Or maybe only temp gauges do? Or both? I try to speed up the procedure by closing the cowl gills. I've noticed that for a long time CHT doesn't want to increase, but then out of nowhere jumps within 5 secs or so to redline value. Then when I open gills up and throttle up somewhat to increase airflow, the temps stay maxed out for a few minutes, followed by equally sudden drop down to 50-ish. Shouldn't CHT rise and fall more gradually? I know good old thermocouple sensors used in aviation have a bit of inertia, but what happens in Beau is a quite beyond that "bit" . I haven't flown Blenny in years, so I don't remember how the implementation worked in that one to compare;

c) does the chap in the back always sit facing backwards, or can I rotate him via some another obscure/confusingly-named keyboard command?

d) how can I switch supercharger gears easily? I assigned some general supercharger cycle command (whatever it was called) to one key, thinking that I woud be able to use it like ignition (after selecting one engine at a time), or like boost/slow running cutouts (both engines together), but the command doesn't seem to work at all. Do I really have to assign separate keys/buttons for left and right supercharger toggle?

e) how long can one torture the engines at sea-level alt? I know "5 minutes" rated limit of max boost & RPM, but tried yesterday to keep on flying to see what would happen beyond 5 minutes. Stopped after 10+, with engines still runnig strong @ gills opened to 50% and CHTs not exceeding 240-ish. Looks like one can keep pushing the beast for quite a while in dire situations. Anyone checked when it seizes eventually?

and more of a general CloD question, affecting other planes as well...

f) why does my forward view switch automatically to "lean to gunsight" mode every now and then when I'm shooting targets and lean a bit with my TrackIR? I know I absolutely do not touch the "lean" button, even changed its assignment (suspecting faulty joystick inputs), but while shooting, the game just likes to switch to "lean" position all of a sudden, which I'm not a fan of - prefer to do the leaning in and out myself, that's what I bought TrackIR for. Is it just one of the "CloDesque" things I have to deal with, or can I get rid of this effect somehow?

Cheers,

Art
    Last edited by Art-J; Mar-05-2018 at 13:57.

29. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

As a dedicated bf109 pilot....I declare this thread HERESY!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

No hijack there Ribbs, it’s a good positive mature post about the Beau and the thread about all facets of the Beau, not just me pushing the warmup barrow . Glad you have that observer thing sorted. That looks like an excellent reference thread and I will go through that later tonight to implement the answer to the silent man in the back.

Art, I am not experiencing what you are with the Beau. At first. I thought you had it confused with the Blenny but you mention the Blenny below your “accelerated” start up comment. I am confused, I have done that which your described at least 100 times with no such results. Cowls open or closed, makes no difference that I can discern. Earliest I have cranked up. The Beau is at 17% oil temp. Highest throttle percentage at 15% in warm up mode. I can’t find any way to better that or make those wheels move forward faster. I dont believe the earlier quick version start up sequences are in situ in 4.5 with the beau and contrary to my request, I think this is a good thing.

However, I shall Shadowplay and time the start up sequences of both open and closed again and see if there is any difference, even to the second.

32. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Invictus View Post
    As a dedicated bf109 pilot....I declare this thread HERESY!

Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis

34. Likes invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Well I got the workaround for observer chatting again sorted. Thanks for that. Took longer than I thought it would to understand it but that thread along with the many helpful suggestions along the way finally sunk what I needed into my pea sized brain.

I did lose control of the aircraft by selecting the key in pilot seat. Guess I will get a handle on that after doing it long enough or changing the selected key to another.

Does seem like a horrible “fix” tho. Granted it works but I dont like it. I dont blame anyone for it. It is a left over from the games history, but that one should be up there in terms of the game mechanics to address when able.

So.....that warmup time.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Yeah..the key you have to " give control " back to the ai is the same key that will leave the aircraft if pressed while in the pilots position. I have done that a few times. Or accidentally hit the but twice in quick succession un knowingly. It's a helpless feeling watching your 88 or 110 spiral down to the ground 3/4 of the way to a long bombing target.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    Art, I am not experiencing what you are with the Beau. At first. I thought you had it confused with the Blenny but you mention the Blenny below your “accelerated” start up comment. I am confused, I have done that which your described at least 100 times with no such results. Cowls open or closed, makes no difference that I can discern. Earliest I have cranked up. The Beau is at 17% oil temp. Highest throttle percentage at 15% in warm up mode. I can’t find any way to better that or make those wheels move forward faster. I dont believe the earlier quick version start up sequences are in situ in 4.5 with the beau and contrary to my request, I think this is a good thing.

However, I shall Shadowplay and time the start up sequences of both open and closed again and see if there is any difference, even to the second.
    What can I say, for me it's always the aforementioned result. Although, I admit all my non-combat Beau learning is done using the same cold-start mission I created in FMB. Actually, it's a pre 4.3.12 mission with just Beau replacing some other plane, but I don't think that should affect game physics? Hmmm.... Maybe the weather conditions cause the engine temp modelling to start behaving strange? Mission in the attachment, could you please try it out and report how the warmup went?

I did two tests in a row, recording a track on second attempt to show freaky temps behaviour. Oh well, I forgot the tracks in CloD are as useful (meaning useless ) as in DCS. It doesn't play back correctly. Anyway, the scenario is the same:
    a) startup, cowl gills -> closed. CHT on both engines is 30, oil at 12-ish;
    b) pushing the throttles slowly multiple times until the "roughness treshold", monitoring temps - CHTs stay stuck at 30 all the time;
    c) in about seventh minute, when one of the engine oil temps reaches 17, CHT on that one first, or the other, suddenly goes from 30 to 350 within say 5 seconds and it can stay there literally for minutes, unless...
    d) ...I throttle up past the "post-17-degrees-roughness" and the airflow causes CHTs to equally rapidly drop to 40-few.

Then the CHTs rise slowly according to throttle position as expected, so I can open the gills and proceed with taxi and takeoff. Still, I wonder why this CHT rollercoaster happens and how the CHT would behave if I didn't throttle high up but kept warming at ~15%.

Cheers,

Art
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Just want to throw my two cents in here - the warm-up time on the Beaufighter was long enough when it was introduced in 4.5 - there was no need to make it take even longer. Please TFS, change the warm-up times to be more reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Lightbulb Re: Lets discuss the Beau

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Creep View Post
    Just want to throw my two cents in here - the warm-up time on the Beaufighter was long enough when it was introduced in 4.5 - there was no need to make it take even longer. Please TFS, change the warm-up times to be more reasonable.

Here’s a thought:

It’s not likely we’ll see any tweaks of this nature coming through in the near future, the TFS coder is away on personal Real Life business for the time being. One idea the ATAG members are thinking of as a stopgap is to create an airspawn for the Beaufighter somewhere quite far inland (Hornchurch? Biggin Hill?) and at low altitude say, 2 angels). Normal ground spawns would still be available. This would encourage players with a limited amount of flying time to jump into a Beau for a sortie rather than resort to the faster startup of a Spit or Hurricane.

Although the Luftwaffe aircraft aren’t subject to the same extreme start up times, would it still make sense, on balance, to likewise have one Blue multi-engine with a low-altitude, inland air spawn? If so, which one would be best for this? Just thinking out loud here, but the objective is purely for playability enjoyment, not to just get “gamey”. We could try it on one map and see how it goes.

For anyone who has never tried an airspawn, simply log into our “Beta 4.53” server. The airspawns were invaluable for the repetitive testing that was needed.

Post your thoughts here. If the overall consensus is positive, we can get airspawns introduced fairly quickly.

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Here’s a thought:

It’s not likely we’ll see any tweaks of this nature coming through in the near future, the TFS coder is away on personal Real Life business for the time being. One idea the ATAG members are thinking of as a stopgap is to create an airspawn for the Beaufighter somewhere quite far inland (Hornchurch? Biggin Hill?) and at low altitude say, 2 angels). Normal ground spawns would still be available.

Celer, Silens, Mortalis

41. Likes QB.Creep liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast