Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth getting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Worth getting?

can someone tell me if DCS is worth getting for a SP like me? I'm tempted to get it because of the Normandy add-on, but have no idea whether there are any SM's or campaigns available or what they might contain? If its really only flying planes , or driving tanks or walking through the countryside then what is available in the line of aircraft , vehicles & weapon sets..or is there anything? It is difficulty to tell in the promotional vids one can access in YouTube( makes me wonder if there are vids of actually game play?), so I need some description of game play & advice. I currently play a lot of box with Oculus Rift & of course CloD, but obviously need some sound advice whether to invest in DCS.

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Re: Worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I currently play a lot of box with Oculus Rift & of course CloD, but obviously need some sound advice whether to invest in DCS.
    I wish I could say. I don't use OR and have not been on DCS in quite some time...to me WWII for DCS hasn't come through as promised.
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

3. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer, XE9O liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

For WW2 not at this time IMHO- there is more excitement and variety to be had in BOS and CLOD and the damage model is rubbish. Bombs also don't bounce and I don't think you can set fuse delays. So far, I think you have a B17 to chase and shoot. No German medium stuff but an AI 88 is planned along with some allied AI mediums.. Of course you could rustle up a few 190s and a 109 for dogfights (yawn). There are some nicely detailed ground units to pound with your sticky bombs though.

Normandy itself does need a beefy PC to run it well. More so than the NTTR (Vegas) or the Caucuses.

The new 2.5 Open beta is also causing some scripting issues with missions that wont be settled until the stable version is out and the makers have a solid platform to re-work with. How many users update their mission remains to be seen. Whilst there are some user made missions of varying quality (and some I hear are very high quality) there are only two paid campaigns (one for the spit, one for the P51D) so not a mahusive choice at the moment. That said, the mission builder and editor is very good and pretty bug free so there is nothing to stop you building your own. You also find most of the WW2 modules are bugged to one degree or another and the spit, despite being out nearly 2 years, is STILL classed as early access!!!

If you just wanna learn an aircraft its fine for that (provided a bug doesn't get you) but learning is.........

.....FOR JETS!!!!

- if you really want to spend time really earning your missions then I really really REALLY cannot praise the A10C highly enough. This thing makes you work for everything. I'm loving every minute of it. And just when you think you've got, go up against something red and spikey and see how much you really know! lots of missions (although some will act oddly until 2.5 settles in) and some great paid training and war play campaigns.

Others love their migs, F5Es, Hueys and Mil-8s for the same reason.
    Last edited by BOO; Mar-05-2018 at 13:46.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

5. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Let's say want play with Spitfire IXe (Beta ~1 year) - $ 50

Normandy 1944 + WWII assets - $ 60 (that looks a post war Normandy with modern look hangars and no damage around like post D-Day Normandy).

Operation Epson Campaign - $10

$ 120 looks "too much for so few".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-05-2018 at 14:08.

7. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Just to echo what others have said, don't hop into DCS for the ww2 stuff just yet but definitely do it for the jets (and the VR support is pretty dang good too from what I hear from a close friend) They really turn out to be much more fun than one would think.

9. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Blitzen,

I shared some of my thoughts on DCS WWII in the thread below. I've been playing for about a month now.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...285#post307285

While I don't disagree with the gents above, I personally decided to send ED a hopeful vote of confidence and purchased the P-51 on sale and then the Normandy map & assets. My personal hope is to encourage flight simulator developers. Also, perhaps a healthy measure of competition among development shops (e.g., ED vs. 1C) can't hurt as it will keep them honest and incentivize them to bring their best work to the market! I really hope that DCS won't fall too far behind once Battle of Bodenplatte hits.

Others may disagree, but these were my reasons for shelling out the cash.

Also, my rig (see my signature) runs the game fine on medium-high settings, in case that's a helpful data point for you.
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I bought it because of the offlinecampaigns, to this day I maybe flown half a hour online. I like choppers,and SU 25 and A 10 C these got good offline campaigns not dynamic , but good non the less

12. Likes BOO liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

I got DCS, bought all the jets all the ww2 planes the Nevada map the Normandy map didnt buy the Normandy add ons as that should have been included in map IMO. Then uninstalled it all as it just doesnt work for me and im not talking rig wise as it runs good on my system. It will stay in the ether i suppose untill its sorted to my tastes which it is not im afraid.
    One positive thing though is that it freed up 200 plus gig on my SD when i kicked it into touch

Hals und Beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

14. Likes BOO, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

(he's still sore about his P47 being put on ice...there are just some things a man cannot forgive!)
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

16. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    (he's still sore about his P47 being put on ice...there are just some things a man cannot forgive!)
    Who can blame the man Boo?

Maybe if they substituted the P47 (although it's a plane I was looking forward to - Wonder how A2A was able to make one if no plans around....) with say a P38?

I'd forgive them then

A2A video pt 1 or 4:

Last edited by farley; Mar-12-2018 at 14:10.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

18. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Problem with DCS P-47 is the lack of original flight data for create FM in their standards - archives destroyed in 80's.

A2A P-47 is more a nice 3D that use MS "FM" without much compromise with real thing, or e.g. IL-2'46.

Probable the same approached will be followed in BoBp, given people "speed and firepower" most will be satisfied.

20. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I don't understand why, in 2018 there isn't something clever that says "something weight this much and has these shapes and this much power so will do this if you do that in these conditions"

But clearly there isnt. That said not many of us have P47s in our garages and those who do have to fly em like your gran drives her Honda Jazz. So who the hell would know anyhow?

22. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

My impression is that DCS community dwarf COD and BOS community put together. So there are reasons for liking it. Myself enjoy DCS much more than other sims in some ways. When it come to shooting stuff, not so much. But I have grown into the thrill of learning simulators in such degree that I consider buying X plane 11 also. It is not the money that prevent me, but time. I fully understand it do not meat the common WW2 CFS pilots preferences, but it is good in other ways

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    My impression is that DCS community dwarf COD and BOS community put together. So there are reasons for liking it. Myself enjoy DCS much more than other sims in some ways. When it come to shooting stuff, not so much. But I have grown into the thrill of learning simulators in such degree that I consider buying X plane 11 also. It is not the money that prevent me, but time. I fully understand it do not meat the common WW2 CFS pilots preferences, but it is good in other ways
    While the DCS community overall is much larger, I think the WWII DCS community is quite small, just for the fact that DCS WWII isn't really that great.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

the only module i have for dcs is the huey. very fun to fly and great sounds, but the graphics for the maps is pretty lame.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Let's say want play with Spitfire IXe (Beta ~1 year) - $ 50

Normandy 1944 + WWII assets - $ 60 (that looks a post war Normandy with modern look hangars and no damage around like post D-Day Normandy).

Operation Epson Campaign - $10

All modules 50% discount on steam. Some complex issues with steam and ED shop versions though
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
    All modules 50% discount on steam. Some complex issues with steam and ED shop versions though

I think it's still on sale. I just bought Normandy and assets along with the new Spitfire MKIX for $52 US. It's a limited time offer for the first month of the Spitfire release.

I haven't used it too much, but the Plane is nice.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-05-2018 at 08:58.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I bought the Huey addon yesterday ($25) and was very impressed.
    I was a Huey mechanic for several years and wish I had something like this when I first started my career.

Like Saipan said the scenery is ok, but man the sounds are cool and the mechanical detail is pretty nice.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but given that a lot of games today are tied to large defense contractors, any active DOD might want to keep a level head on what they install or say. Looks a lot like phishing and intel gathering to me. Just sayin' (loose lips sink ships haha).

That said, as a civilian dude, this sim is pretty sweet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    I bought the Huey addon yesterday ($25) and was very impressed.
    I was a Huey mechanic for several years and wish I had something like this when I first started my career.

Like Saipan said the scenery is ok, but man the sounds are cool and the mechanical detail is pretty nice.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but given that a lot of games today are tied to large defense contractors, any active DOD might want to keep a level head on what they install or say. Looks a lot like phishing and intel gathering to me. Just sayin' (loose lips sink ships haha).

That said, as a civilian dude, this sim is pretty sweet!

ooohhh....

I might check out some rotary stuff

The only thing i ever flew (so far) in real life was a helicopter. was blooming awesome. may have to make a propper twist throttle though first.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

31. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

hmm... its £40 here.

think i will carry on with my moth for a bit!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Well bummers. I wonder if the timezone lag did you in. Maybe get a buddy to gift it to you from here and you can paypal back.

And about hardware spamming, man, I'm already started on a tangent (Cayuse Oh-6 grip).
    cayuse_grip.png

-Z
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jul-05-2018 at 15:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Haha!

Zeb... you are lightyears ahead of me in peripherals!

Love your work!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Too true

"Never in the field of flight simulation has so much been paid for so little."

On a more serious note: I don't see how DCS will become a serious WWII sim alternative any time soon. It's a great study sim when you're interested in a specific aircraft they feature but it is piss poor when it comes to simulating the scope of a (world) war. The sheer lack of bombers (not a single flyable one, just an AI B-17, no German bombers at all yet) means you are condemned to a pure dogfight 24/7 all day every day kind of experience and that gets stale very quickly.

Fortunately I only paid like 70$ back in the Kickstarter days and got pretty much everything WWII related that way including the map and asset pack. At this point I would strongly advise against putting serious money into the WWII modules in DCS. If you absolutely have to get your hands on a specific warbird then go for it during a sale but dont expect it to keep you entertained for long.
    Last edited by Karaya; Jul-06-2018 at 02:53.

36. Likes Baffin, IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Its an odd one for sure the DCS setup.

I still want to pick up a chopper at some point.

But simply as a stand alone study piece.

Assuming i ever have time!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Its an odd one for sure the DCS setup.

I still want to pick up a chopper at some point.

But simply as a stand alone study piece.

Assuming i ever have time!
    I usually "land" (its a broad term) my Huey at a faster approach speed than the spitfire - its the only way I can guarantee it wont drop out of the sky.

Where it stops is a different matter.

39. Likes 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Highseas I added you as a friend so I could gift it before timezone change, but alas, the time went past. And yeah, I've burned 12 hours on it in the last two days. Mostly trying interesting stuff in the mission editor. I saw this cool trigger that said, "explode" when you killed a single infantry dude. Let's just say I had to scale the "boom" value back a little when my chopper disappeared from sight.

Boo, I was really surprised by the effects of vortex ring state (VRS). I never really noticed it when I tried the real thing, but I think it's because I had an instructor that put me in the right groove (to make it easier than it appeared). We also ran the twin pack Pratt PT6T-3, 1800 SHP vs 900-1100 SHP. Probably had more to do with having all that extra power. Just had to watch the torque and make sure we didn't noodle the driveshafts. haha

Now I wish I had a bunch more vacation time to make peripherals and krap. hehe

Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Jul-07-2018 at 09:35.

41. Likes BOO, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

It has things that I like very much, lots of aircraft management nice graphics and good flight models. What I don't care for is the lack of WWII aircraft, maps and the price you have to pay for what is available. I'll probably wind up spending around $130 Canadian if I cave for a K4 and the Normandy map plus the assets. It's a good thing I'm a huge 109 fan boy and never fly allied otherwise a person could spend tons of money. What Karaya said up above sounds pretty good to me also
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Jul-29-2018 at 04:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Another thing that's keeping me from flying DCS some more is the fact that the current version seems to take forever to load online.

I bought myself a brand new PC at the start of the year. My old rig did not have an SSD and even so loaded the 1.5 Beta reasonably fast. Now with my new PC and a 1TB M.2 SSD on which I have the OS and all games installed DCS 2.5 takes somewhere between 5-10min (!) from connecting to being able to choose an aircraft and spawning in. The first couple minutes are spent waiting for the game to load in and then it's some more minutes time until the game becomes responsive again to the point where I can actually use the interface. It's become a chore pure and simply, and this is not even taking into account general instability, the abysmal netcode, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Question Re: Worth getting?

Yeah.

For me it fills the helicopter hole. And exceptionally well.

I cant see it becoming anything more for me. (Which is fine). And the WWII arena seems to be on a hiding to nothing.

We will see.

Right now its my single player Huey-go-round. Can't see it becoming much more (for me). But actually I dont need it to.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

45. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast