Thread: So now it's possible to officially MOD BoX.....now what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

So now it's possible to officially MOD BoX.....now what?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/114-mods/

Not much info. on what files can be modded or how
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.98 MB

Re: So now it's possible to officially MOD BoX.....now what?

~S~Mystic
    I did a lot of just BS moding in rof
    Need a GTP extractor, just about everything in the GTP's (at least in RoF)
    are Text files, or map over lays, clouds textures, etc..
    Once I open the gtp's, you could see how the game worked (RoF)

Hope this helps
    Mox

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

What now is that youll need to get your JGSME or OVGME program up and sorted so you can be ready to swap in and out mods various dependent upon the paranoia levels of each individual server owner.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Well it's all pretty confusing regarding what the point of Mods on in really is?
    Jason has pretty much said the files are encrypted and it's up to modders to figure out how to mod, yet in another thread he has said any messing with the files will lead to a three month ban.
    With no tools or guidelines it seems they want someone to hack/crack the files.....and then risk being banned?

This post sums it up?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...comment=590481
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

What Jason said was that players using well known cheating tools would be banned. No mention was made in DD 130 about mods in general and any reference in other posts pre-dates the mods on release.

i dont think its as duplicitous as some are making out.

Lets say that I make a mod that makes the LA5FN less ugly to its pilot (impossible i know) - I put up the mod the forum for all to see, use and assess. Noone objects and, with the expection of a little less eye strain, no advantage in performance is gained and no exploit is observed. LA5FN_less butt ugly mod passes the fair play test. I do not get banned.

Now Evil_Twin_BOO comes along with a mod that takes all the VVS default skin alphas and encoded internal structure alphas and drops them to sub 6 blacks (or whatever). The result is that every VVS aircraft flown with this mod online, even using game server default skins has only a dash board obscuring the view alowing players unrestricted views in all other directions. Clearly this fails the fair play test so is unlikely to be made available publicly on the forum. Its discovered and those responsible are issued with a 3 month ban.

The logic of the stance seems sound to me. Unencypting everything opens up a lot more stuff to more people than just the talented modder who is more likely to want thier work shared and acknowledged as widely as possible in a public arena. The less difficult it is to do , the greater the risk that a relatively unknowledgeable and untalented memeber of Sdn X will find something that gives their team an advantage - their secret weapon if you will. The more likely this stuff is to happen the greater the incidence of accusations of cheating, justified or not, that will ultimiatly mire the MP world and damage the rep of the game. Also the more dodgy ill conceived and untested mods there are the more the game crashes and, people being people, its never something they've done is it?

As an aside its gotta be really annoying that one of the most active topics since the realease of 3.001 is one where everyone is wanting to alter the devs hard work. And as with Blitz it seems its open season on the sound guy at the moment like he's a bot with no feelings or professional pride.

Thats my take anyhow
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Seems that Angkor has managed to get his extraction tool to work on the files

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...comment=592189

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

This whole deal seems odd to me .... Here you go guys you can mod our game!!, but we will provide you with NO modding tools, NO direction, and by god don't you hack our game!! And then the audacity of the dev to respond saying "Why people are puzzled by what we have done here is baffling to me" Dear god. I mean yay since there are able minded people in the community to figure this out it will carry on, but you can sure see the difference in corporate attitude from what I'm used to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Weird one this.

Back in my heavy GTA gaming days id playe each one out, and then start playing with Mods. some of them were epic./.. there war once for GTA 3 where you coudl intsamntly spawn a Back to the future Delorean... great car... and click a button and it flys like a chopper... brilliant !!

but GTA 3 didnt have an online mode. so it was a case of mod what yuo like for how you want the game to be.

I did a few mods to San Andreas... but nothing like as awesome as that GTA3 one.

havent modded GTA V at all... though the iron man mod looks like a giggle. maybe i will mess with that at some point.

but... for BoS ? which is (not exclusively but i think predominatly) a multi player game.,....

This just make no sence to me at all. A developer sanctioned hackathon?

maybe I'm mising something. But hell... it sounds like developer suicide. Mitsubishi Zero anyone?

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

but... for BoS ? which is (not exclusively but i think predominatly) a multi player game.,....

This just make no sence to me at all. A developer sanctioned hackathon?

maybe I'm mising something. But hell... it sounds like developer suicide. Mitsubishi Zero anyone?
    BoS is definitely not a predominatly multiplayer game. However, when it comes to modding what you can actually access is limited.

Ever flown RoF? I think what you might be missing is the mods on/mods off mode. This protects the game's integrity from a multiplayer point of view. Running a server? Run it in mods off mode (which they all will) and nobody can use any mods on your server.

It's either all or nothing.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

First mod I've downloaded; Moscow autumn map re-textured to give us a summer map. Awesome!

11. Likes Cybermat47 liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded