Thread: Map fonts hard to read

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Map fonts hard to read

After a good amount of tweaking, I found that, on my system, CloD 4.53 Blitz runs best at 1,600 x 900 resolution. At this resolution, however, the fonts on the map appear to be way too small, fuzzy, and nearly unreadable. Zooming-in does not help, as the font size remains the same. Fonts look normal at 1920 x 1080 or higher resolution and are hit-or-miss at other resolutions. It seems that the font used is a bitmap font, which could be part of the problem (automatic resampling for a non-supported resolution would cause issues such as these for bitmap fonts).
    Is there a workaround that anybody is aware of?

Thank you,
    ~Uranor

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: Map fonts hard to read

On my system, text improved markedly by playing with the Output Color Format feature found in Nvidia Control Panel>Change resolution>3. Apply the following settings>Use Nvidia color settings menus.

Output color format: YCbCr444 improves all text and also eliminates the concentric "Rings" around the sun in the sky. Output dynamic range at this setting will default to "Limited". This improves the text in our forums by removing the annoying Red and Blue shading. Changing the Output color depth to anything except "8 bpc" causes some very bizarre effects on my system.

The other Output color formats can improve refresh rates at the cost of quality. "RGB Full" will also clear up the sun rings, and is preferred by some of our players. Native display resolution is also generally recommended .

After you pick the combination you like best, search for and run "Adjust ClearType text" in Windows 10.
    Last edited by Baffin; Mar-23-2018 at 14:47.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.76 MB

Re: Map fonts hard to read

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    On my system, text improved markedly by playing with the Output Color Format feature found in Nvidia Control Panel>Change resolution>3. Apply the following settings>Use Nvidia color settings menus.

Output color format: YCbCr444 improves all text and also eliminates the concentric "Rings" around the sun in the sky. Output dynamic range at this setting will default to "Limited". This improves the text in our forums by removing the annoying Red and Blue shading. Changing the Output color depth to anything except "8 bpc" causes some very bizarre effects on my system.

The other Output color formats can improve refresh rates at the cost of quality. "RGB Full" will also clear up the sun rings, and is preferred by some of our players. Native display resolution is also generally recommended .

After you pick the combination you like best, search for and run "Adjust ClearType text" in Windows 10.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure that "Adjust Clear Type text" would have any impact on the game; the fonts in CloD appear to be custom and Bitmap, not TrueType, especially the one on the game map. Windows fonts are excellent, it is the map in CloD that is giving me issues.