Thread: I-25 Japanese Submarine

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I-25 Japanese Submarine

Hey again everyone, thought I would share a tiny bit of WW2 history that happened over my home town of Hobart Tasmania.

I-25 was launched in 1941 and was commanded by Lieutenant Commander Meiji Tagami. Took part on the raid of pearl harbor and also attacked the mainland of the USA.

But about her 2nd war patrol the one in question I-25 was ordered to reconnaissance the Eastern coast of Australia. After doing all of the mainland state capitals bar Melboure she finally arrived in Tasmanian waters late Feb 41 she first surfaced off a northern Island called King Island, and did a fly over of Melbourne over Port Phillip Bay which is a return flight of 520kms**. She then proceeded down the eastern coast of Tasmania and again stopped and surfaced @ Adventure bay on Burny Island March 1st 41 at 4:50am. Assembled the E14Y float recon plane and as dawn arrived at Hobart that day the plane fly over Hobart and over the main port and up the Derwent river. The AA battery @ the Zinc works opened fire but no hits were taken. They flew back to the Submarine and by 9:00am were on their way to recon and patrol the waters of New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_submarine_I-25
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_B1_submarine AKA the I-25 type.

Hope you enjoyed your tiny history lesson today everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    379.6 KB

Re: I-25 Japanese Submarine

Cool story, thanks for sharing

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It was the only time Tasmania saw enemy ever... lol

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Gday AusNorman,

Belated hello from a fellow aussie. Welcome aboard.

Here's a good link re uboat activity down your way in case you havent seen it. Ive got the book about this and i think he spent some time offshore Hobart (would have to check to be sure) so i guess he saw Tasmania but Tasmania didnt see him.

http://www.navy.gov.au/history/featu...tralian-waters

See you online sometime

Ezzie

5. Likes AusNorman liked this post
    Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

Quote Originally Posted by AusNorman View Post
    Hey again everyone, thought I would share a tiny bit of WW2 history that happened over my home town of Hobart Tasmania.

I-25 was launched in 1941 and was commanded by Lieutenant Commander Meiji Tagami. Took part on the raid of pearl harbor and also attacked the mainland of the USA.

But about her 2nd war patrol the one in question I-25 was ordered to reconnaissance the Eastern coast of Australia. After doing all of the mainland state capitals bar Melboure she finally arrived in Tasmanian waters late Feb 41 she first surfaced off a northern Island called King Island, and did a fly over of Melbourne over Port Phillip Bay which is a return flight of 520kms**. She then proceeded down the eastern coast of Tasmania and again stopped and surfaced @ Adventure bay on Burny Island March 1st 41 at 4:50am. Assembled the E14Y float recon plane and as dawn arrived at Hobart that day the plane fly over Hobart and over the main port and up the Derwent river. The AA battery @ the Zinc works opened fire but no hits were taken. They flew back to the Submarine and by 9:00am were on their way to recon and patrol the waters of New Zealand.

Hope you enjoyed your tiny history lesson today everyone
    Here is a WWII U-Boat story that took place about 12-15 miles from where I live in Maine. It is "Operation Magpie" and the German IXC Class submarine U 1230
    IXC class.png
    Commanded by Kapitanleutnant Hans Hilbig. This U-boat was lucky to survive the war and had but one patrol from September 1944 to the surrender to the British at the end in 1945. On this patrol sank one Canadian merchant vessel but is most famous for bringing a couple of espionage agents to the shores of Crabtree Neck, Hancock Point, Maine. They eventually made it to New York City, 500 miles or so further south and were eventually captured. It is speculated that on this same mission it shot down Navy Blimp K14 off Egg Rock, south of Otter Cliff, Bar Harbor.

http://ericwiberg.com/2015/10/u-1230...-off-mt-desert

http://www.fishermensvoice.com/archi...WWIIMaine.html

Enjoy
    Last edited by DOWNEAST; Mar-30-2018 at 11:05.
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-

7. Likes AusNorman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

My paternal grandfather was on HMAS Norman for part of the war. Apparently they managed to pick up a few submerged contacts in the Indian Ocean - Japanese, German, or Italian submarines, I’d bet.
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

9. Likes AusNorman liked this post