Thread: Cannot start IL2 CoD Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.73 MB

Cannot start IL2 CoD Blitz

Hi,

Since the debacle that was the Steam update was resolved I was able to play CoD Blitz ok, and I enjoyed some good flights for a day or so.

However, I started up my machine a couple of days ago to play CoD Blitz and when I started it there was an odd steam popup saying it needed to install the game which I thought was unusual, and since then it now won't start - I click on the desktop icon or click the play button in steam, the IL2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz transparent splash comes up overlayed over my desktop and then the screen goes black with the spinning circle mouse pointer then goes back to desktop.

I've tried verifying the local files on steam, even tried a completely fresh reinstall, tried disconnecting devices.

Any suggestions?

This is on Win10 btw

Cheers

Andy

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.86 MB

Re: Cannot start IL2 CoD Blitz

Hi anfieldroad,

If I'm not wrong, I have a similar problem.
    Sometimes when I start the game the Il-2 transparent comes up and my screen goes black but the game just doesn't start.It happens both with the desktop icon and the play button on steam.
    In my case the game is "offically" still running and shows up on the taskbar and in steam and it can't be closed,not even with the task manager.
    I normally "fix" this problem by opening the game with Launcher64.exe in the Blitz folder(...Steam/steamapps/common/Il-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz).After this I am able to start the game normally.
    Could you please start the game again with the desktop icon or with steam and look up if the CloD icon still shows up on the task bar?
    And after this try to start the game with the Launcher64.exe and see if the game starts normally.
    If you have the same problem as me,the .exe hopefully will work.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.73 MB

Nup that wasn't the case for me, it's not running whatsoever.

I just uninstalled, cleared the cache, rebooted and reinstalled and nup... still won't work.

Guess thats it then. Doesn't sound like there is anything I haven't tried yet that anyone has posted. This game is truly porked

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by anfieldroad View Post
    Nup that wasn't the case for me, it's not running whatsoever.

I just uninstalled, cleared the cache, rebooted and reinstalled and nup... still won't work.

Guess thats it then. Doesn't sound like there is anything I haven't tried yet that anyone has posted. This game is truly porked

sys specs might help..ooops never mind u had been playing..delete the cache folder?
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Saipan; Mar-30-2018 at 21:33.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Silent135 View Post
    Isn't that exactly what I just said I had done??

Already done the uninstall/delete cache/reboot/reinstall dance and it made no difference.

This isn't the a Battle of Britain sim... it's a Battle of Bugf****d

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

Do you have entries of game crashes in the Windows Event Viewer?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.73 MB

Nothing in event viewer

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Did you try to create a new softclub folder??
    Just rename the one you have and let the game create a new one.

I know you mentioned that reinstalled the game. But many people leave their old softclub folder as a backup and if the issue is in that folder, even a reinstall will fail.
    Reason Im saying this is because it happened to me. A corrupted config file in the softclub screwed up my game and I even uninstalled the game then put back my backed up ini files... and the game failed to start.

So pls rename the whole softclub folder and let the game create a completely new one and see if that works...if it does, insert your ini files one by one.

S
    Kling

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Please post your error log, system specs etc.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

This isn't the a Battle of Britain sim... it's a Battle of Bugf****d
    Follow Kling's advice above b4 u do any of the following.
    Then make sure CloD is set to be automatically kept up to date in Steam.

I realise u are getting frustrated but if 99.9% of us have the game running just fine then there is just a slight possibility that there is a problem on YOUR end.
    Firstly, any "Cannot start (whatever)" thread should contain your system specs. U will notice that many of us have our specs in our sig (saves lots of excess typing).
    Do u regularly use a Registry cleaner (eg CCleaner) ?
    Next, check in your steamapps folder and right clik on CloD Bltz and check it says 7.62GB in Size. If it's not 7.62GB then your download from Steam is borked.
    U do know the difference between "Clear download cache" in Steam--->Settings--->Downloads and "clearing the cache" in Documents--->1C Softclub--->IL2 Sturmovik CloD ? (just checking, we don't know folks level of tech savvy)
    If your CloD Blitz instal has been borked u could try a DNS flush.
    Close Steam and any other open program. Delete the CloD Blitz folder from Steamapps.
    Run a cmd window as admin then type ipconfig /flushdns then press “Enter“. (be sure there is a space before the slash)
    Then re-connect to Steam, Clear the download cache and re-instal Blitz

https://www.technipages.com/flush-an...using-ipconfig

U don't have Steamapps in a different drive to your OS do u ?
    Last edited by ATAG_Torian; Mar-31-2018 at 08:02.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Keep the faith anfieldroad. We will get this figured out eventually. I see you're on Win 10. I know it's a pain, but if you get a min. Please post the rest of your Specs. It helps us look for other potential problems. Hopefully this advice above gets you sorted out and in the sky. Remember if you do an uninstall and reinstall..it doesn't delete your desktop shortcut..so if your clicking on it thinking it's new, it's not. Always use the .exe file in the newly created ( fresh install) steamapps folder when troubleshooting a problem. Once we get the game working, then make a new shortcut to desktop.

Also like Buzzsaw posted, you need to go into one of your .ini files (. conf/ or confs.ini. look for an entry..( it's close to the top) It says, log file keep. Change the 0 to a 1 and then click save. This will capture the error log that gets created. Try starting Blitz again and post that error log here please.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Mar-31-2018 at 10:46.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    117.73 MB

I think I resolved this:

I moved the blitz user documents folder into a bak dir and the game recreated the folders and ran.

When I looked closer I noticed conf.ini in the backed up folder was empty! It was 3kb in size but made up totally of 2995 consecutive NULL chars.

When I put that blank conf file into the newly created user dir the original issue reoccurred.

I had been deleting the cache when the real solution was to literally remove and recreate the entire directory (restoring conf files with controls etc)

14. Likes Ceaser87 liked this post
    Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

I think I resolved this:

I moved the blitz user documents folder into a bak dir and the game recreated the folders and ran.

When I looked closer I noticed conf.ini in the backed up folder was empty! It was 3kb in size but made up totally of 2995 consecutive NULL chars.

When I put that blank conf file into the newly created user dir the original issue reoccurred.

I had been deleting the cache when the real solution was to literally remove and recreate the entire directory (restoring conf files with controls etc)

see you in the air then?
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)