Thread: A very strange Blenheim maneuver

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

A very strange Blenheim maneuver

It's a couple of times that when I play on the Steamworks map ( I do not remember if this is the correct map's name, somehow I intend the one where the action is focused around the Isle of Wight ) that I observe a very strange ( and impossible to be done in my opinion ) maneuver performed by some of the Blenheim pilots....

They seems to be able to make a perfect 90° dive from very high altitude and then regaining the control of the plane without any problem.

Some nights ago I've made a trial attempting to follow one of them in the above mentioned maneuver starting the dive from about 4200 meters. Arrived at the max dive speed for the Bf 110, as per normal, I have had to break the maneuver to avoid to get damages to my plane while, instead, the Blenheim pilot continued the dive almost until close to the ground and then he regained from the dive without any problem dropping then its bombs.

Does the Blenheim now have some kind of airbrakes like the Stuka or there is something wrong with it?

Just curious...maybe it's a feature that I was not aware of about the Blenny...
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

2. Likes GERMANWOLF liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: A very strange Blenheim maneuver

She will break apart and/or lose parts in a dive like that. Anytime I do an extreme dive in a Blenny I'll cut throttles, cowl flaps 100%, flaps down, pitch 0, and then wiggle the rudder full L/R to add more drag. I still have to come out of the dive a little bit at least once during the dive.

4. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Cool Re: A very strange Blenheim maneuver

Quote Originally Posted by Werner " Blauer Teufel " Mölders View Post
    It's a couple of times that when I play on the Steamworks map ( I do not remember if this is the correct map's name, somehow I intend the one where the action is focused around the Isle of Wight ) that I observe a very strange ( and impossible to be done in my opinion ) maneuver performed by some of the Blenheim pilots....

They seems to be able to make a perfect 90° dive from very high altitude and then regaining the control of the plane without any problem.

Some nights ago I've made a trial attempting to follow one of them in the above mentioned maneuver starting the dive from about 4200 meters. Arrived at the max dive speed for the Bf 110, as per normal, I have had to break the maneuver to avoid to get damages to my plane while, instead, the Blenheim pilot continued the dive almost until close to the ground and then he regained from the dive without any problem dropping then its bombs.

Does the Blenheim now have some kind of airbrakes like the Stuka or there is something wrong with it?

Just curious...maybe it's a feature that I was not aware of about the Blenny...
    lol arcade mode
    9./JG54 GERMANWOLF

6. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

It could have been possible that toward the bottom of the dive it lagged out some to make the appearance of a steeper dive and pull out than it really was? With it being that map over the island. Could have been a high possibility.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

8. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    It could have been possible that toward the bottom of the dive it lagged out some to make the appearance of a steeper dive and pull out than it really was? With it being that map over the island. Could have been a high possibility.
    Possible but somehow strange because I've saw it more than one time happening it and also other players seen exactly the same...sincerely I have no idea what could be the cause...if possible I'll try to record it next time that map will be up.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANWOLF View Post
    lol arcade mode
    Yep Teabagwunderwaffen!

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    She will break apart and/or lose parts in a dive like that. Anytime I do an extreme dive in a Blenny I'll cut throttles, cowl flaps 100%, flaps down, pitch 0, and then wiggle the rudder full L/R to add more drag. I still have to come out of the dive a little bit at least once during the dive.
    Yep exactly...that's why when I saw it happening my eyes gone out of their orbits

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Werner " Blauer Teufel " Mölders View Post
    Yep exactly...that's why when I saw it happening my eyes gone out of their orbits
    110gunner.jpg
    110 gunner
    9./JG54 GERMANWOLF

13. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The Blenheim will break up at approx. 320 mph indicated... so a very low speed compared to any other type out there.

What you were observing is either a lag anomaly or perhaps the pilot deployed full flaps and sideslipped.

15. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

While not recommended in the Pilots Notes, a full slip will permit very steep dives in CLoD's Blenheim. I can't remember sustaining the vertical, but a spiraling, high G (for a Blenheim) dive with max cross controls will get 'er down pretty darn fast!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

17. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Yeah, a 90 degree dive is fine initially, but eventually requires a lot of drag and maneuvering. If the dive entry is at low speed it's fairly simple to keep the speed down.

One of the more rugged aircraft I work on will do a nose-down dive with fine pitch, flaps down, and not bust VNE. Adding some slight maneuvering would slow things down even further. Also, VNE is the point where structures begin to plastically deform past yield, not necessarily lose parts. I'm not really seeing the arcadyness of it or a problem with the flight model. I could see issues come up after you pulled it into the shop (if you survived).

This is, by all means, the Isle of Pain. Airframes are subject to unusual acts of bravery and sacrifice.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    264.29 MB

There is nothing strange or broken about the FM here. We Blenny drivers can sustain very steep angle dives by throwing the prop to 0%(full coarse) and 0% throttle (both of these are so as to not over-rev the engine in the sustained dive, but 100% prop creates more drag and is allowable for a short time); 100% rads (engine cowl flaps fully open, acts like an air brake); max side-slip (max opposite rudder and aileron input = more drag). We'll nose up if speed is approaching the 320mph critical, but it's usually not hard to keep the speed well below that limit. Flaps for more drag can increase the dive angle even more, but personally I rarely use this.

Are you max side-slipping in your attempt to pursue this dive? Are you opening your rads and even your flaps? Even if you are, one huge advantage RAF planes have is the ability to nearly instantly change from full fine to full coarse prop pitch. You'd likely still be holding your button to manually decrease prop pitch and watching your clock unwind when your governor blows in following this maneuver, while we've long since safely lowered our RPM's to avoid the same. If you're in auto prop pitch, you haven't got a prayer. This is historically accurate, so nothing broken in the game - just one of those advantages of the way British aircraft of the time were designed.

20. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post