Thread: What got me flying BOS again?? A single picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

What got me flying BOS again?? A single picture.

Almost hypnotic isn't it

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Re: What got me flying BOS again?? A single picture.

Gorgeous picture. I must add that for me it was Paranoid and dB that got me flying BoX.
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Have tried time after time cant get into it . Beleive me i want to get into it but it just doesnt do it for me . Cant explain why i have no idea. I have all the modules even pre ordered Bodenplatte so i can fly the Thunderbolt (drool) So i will have another go when that comes out

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

4. Likes Gromit, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    I have all the modules even pre ordered Bodenplatte so i can fly the Thunderbolt (drool) So i will have another go when that comes out
    And the Tempest! Can’t wait to do some A2G missions!
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Have tried time after time cant get into it . Beleive me i want to get into it but it just doesnt do it for me . Cant explain why i have no idea. I have all the modules even pre ordered Bodenplatte so i can fly the Thunderbolt (drool) So i will have another go when that comes out

Hals und beinbruch
    I had a hard time getting into it too Meyer. I still like Cliffs of Dover over BOS and once Tobruk comes out I'll probably be back full time. I just got so tired of flying on the same map. I think Cliffs of Dover has the best flight models I've ever flown too. Besides the scenery and plane set I do enjoy the idea of the Coconut and TAW dynamic online campaigns that come with online flying in BOS..They are a lot of fun...Flight models still seem kind of weird and too easy to me plus the aircraft management is too simplified, but that's all in a persons taste not to offend anyone. One is extremely beautiful and verssatyle the other is a little long in the tooth that goes out of it's way to cater to a particular group extremely well not matter what and that group is us fanatics

I bet 75% or more young guys and gals would take a look at both sims and purchase BOS over Cliffs of Dover. However if you come across one who's a WWII aircraft fanatic and say they buy both chances are he or she will be flying Cliffs of Dover more than BOS
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; May-19-2018 at 19:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    IFlight models still seem kind of weird and too easy to me.
    No flame but I no undersatnd this - is otherw ay for me and clod planes on rails. diferent people differnt things i guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    No flame but I no undersatnd this - is otherw ay for me and clod planes on rails. diferent people differnt things i guess
    I've heard this too Roland. Maybe it has something to do with the way each persons brain functions..Seriously. I can't even handle talking on coms while flying.
    Just to let you know I've only shot down easy Sturmoviks so far in BOS no fighters so there you go
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; May-19-2018 at 20:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I flown BOX exclusively together with DCS choppers , I can relate to everybody here.
    Pro BOX: (right now) fire it up find a server or SP and fly for 30 minutes to a hour and feel you accomplished a mission
    Con BOX: Fire up the game and endure a totally different and less devoted community. You really cannot connect with majority, it is not the people, but rather the way they play. No consideration that it is a war-game going on, just stats and kills.
    Pro BOX: marvelous feel of flight and very good 3 D exterior.
    Con BOX: A nagging feeling this could have been so much more, simplicity on top of simplicity in order to try to make it complex, and still the majority want it simpler.
    Pro Box : Effects, might be Hollywood, but the puffs and smoke are gorgeous, makes your guns feel like artillery
    Con Box: The marvelous explosions do not reflect their ability to destroy targets, either too easy(Glass) or not at all. Subject to change on every patch.

I see why tight squadrons have problems with BOX, and single players have less. COD is better for squad action, BOX is better for loners like me

And for me the Sturmovik is just so good and feel very authentic. I really do not like the German planes in BOX , most of them. I enjoy the JU 52, HS 129 , JU 87 and JU 88 a little
    Last edited by LuseKofte; May-21-2018 at 09:45.

10. Likes IIJG27Rich, Pienoir, Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Great picture...but: I don’t like the start up procedure (push one button and you are done). I don’t like the warnings about over heating, etc. I was never interested in Russian aircraft. The FMs seem too easy, to me. The sceneries and skins aren’t as good as the other sims. The cockpits suck.

Some in my squadron love BOX, which leads to “differences of opinion”.

And yet, I have all the maps, and bought Bodenplatte as soon as it was announced. I’m still hoping, I guess, things will get better.

So, BOX is better if you just want a quick fix, but the flying, the satisfaction of doing something well that is actually pretty difficult, is better in the other sims.
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Hals und beinbruch
    I flown the 109 once in BOX and it simply is not, what to say, give you appetite for more.
    I feel like a god flying JU 87 and 110 in COD, but it give me nothing in BOX. The Russian planes and HS 129, JU 52 give me some good feelings. And for a squad like yours. Well it shines in COD , but the gameplay in BOX make it likely to get pk by a friendly in any of the populated servers.
    I really had enough getting runned over in the airstrip by someone taking off crossing it

13. Likes 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

I'm giving it another shot as well. I acquired BoM and I'm trying to get used to BoX again (while eagerly awaiting TF 5.0).

Some things have improved since I lasted played BoS, while some annoyances are still present. I'm very interested in the new career mode for example. I'm basically using this as a test to see if I want to buy Bodenplatte. I'm really interested in that time period and planeset. We'll see whether the technical/design stuff I don't like in BoX prevents me from putting down the money on BoB. These acronyms are annoying as well....

BTW, does anyone else have fairly consistent CTDs when moving through the settings menu, or exiting the quick mission screen, for example? It's really bothersome, and not a problem I had when I last played.

15. Likes SharkBait liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

After flying a few days on the new campaign in BoM, I really like a lot of things about this after revisiting it. I'm having a good time with the new campaign, and I feel better about Bodenplatte and how (hopefully) this sim will improve by the time that is officially released.

That being said, there are some things that are just no fun about this still, stuff like signing in to play and random menu crashes. The weird shimmering and AA problem around aircraft in front of clouds is still a problem. I'm also still very unimpressed with the fidelity of things in the air at a distance, as I'm constantly losing track of wingmen and enemy targets. I don't have that problem in Cliffs.

It really puts all of us in a position where right now there are two major WWII combat sims in Cliffs and BoX under the same brand, and one sim's strengths is the other's weakness (and vice versa). It's tough because as a fan of WWII Fighters and Aces over Europe, Bodenplatte is for me. I'll probably end up buying it simply because TF will never get that far in the war.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

It is improving all the time though, with new patches.

18. Dislikes ATAG_Snapper disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Cliffs really does have a very unique audience. Perhaps Maddox and the team dropping it off has been for a good reason, I mean just the fact that a full realistic flight sim is essentially in the hands of a small community is pretty top stuff.

I must say that BOS looks fantastic, the flight models don't seem too bad, and the shiny stuff shines so much, while the round things just look so round
    But honestly I don't know what it flies like, and I think Cliffs has a good set up for near complete historical accuracy, namely due to the people who are now running it.

I think Stalingrad looks to be a pretty neat sim, but I think Cliffs now has something that BOS will never have, that is pretty fantastic! Plus I can actually run Cliffs on my PC while still looking good without running like a potato (still surprises me but love it all the same)

Love the community here and the team which we are all proud of now being official!

My heart will always be with the Brits, and the Swordfish that will one day come trundling along
    Top stuff though, and wouldn't mind giving BOS a spin someday

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalInsane View Post
    It is improving all the time though, with new patches.
    I meant to hit “like”, my fat fingers betrayed me!

I have all the BoX modules - they have all installed and played well on my PC. I’ve invested in the upcoming Bodenplatte module - very excited about it. For those who can I encourage to load BoX and Clod. The transition between them is not difficult, and both have their strengths.

This is a great time for WW2 sims!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SLAG View Post
    Great picture...but: I don’t like the start up procedure (push one button and you are done). I don’t like the warnings about over heating, etc. I was never interested in Russian aircraft. The FMs seem too easy, to me. The sceneries and skins aren’t as good as the other sims. The cockpits suck.

And yet, I have all the maps, and bought Bodenplatte as soon as it was announced. I’m still hoping, I guess, things will get better.

So, BOX is better if you just want a quick fix, but the flying, the satisfaction of doing something well that is actually pretty difficult, is better in the other sims.
    I forgot to mention something else I don’t like about BOX, which is the damage model: it seems like every time a plane gets hit, a wing falls off. What is that?
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

I forgot to mention something else I don’t like about BOX, which is the damage model: it seems like every time a plane gets hit, a wing falls off. What is that?
    That has actually changed quite a lot a month or two ago. They did a huge damage model update and most planes are a lot more durable now.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No critique but observatioons

1 button in clod too. I get bored with 20 buton sequnence in DCS.

can turn off warnings better to turn all screen things off. better in vr and more "real".

Russian aircraft - agree. heart is in RAF or LW planes.

FMs not "easy" but easy do not mean wrong. Some things easier like take off/land but in other sims is same. Not sure bout DCS because seems too hard. Maybe modelled right if sitting in real plane but not on computer. But practice and do it correct and take off/land becomes "easy".

sceneries and skins not so good - disagree. dcs look amazing but in game not so good and frame hit too much to have detail high. Skins as good as can make.

Cockpits suck - do not understand this. maybe in 2d but in VR they great. could be they have less resolution and vr makes look better but even so they are good.

Advantage though:

It works. easy to use like old IL2. No problems.

Good dev involevment with problems. Fixes come and new content.

FMs, graphics good (we disagree on this)

Scenarios ok for now. Wish for Malta or desert or Italy in BoX buit bodenplatet will help

VR support key for me. WIthout then forget it.

I think if want "study sim" then DCS and only DCS. If want pvp combat sim then box or clod. pve is Box only.

But everyone have own thoughts.