Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Bodenplatte is in Early Access!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    323.71 MB

Battle of Bodenplatte is in Early Access!

The Spitfire IXe (can change engines to make an LF or HF model) and Bf 109G-14 (AM engine) are now available to play!

Spit_01.jpg.146144411d6e0c349ff0956eb7246a6b.jpg Mess_01.jpg.4009ec4d78fdc83fbff77ca275ac9604.jpg

The Spitfire has a ridiculous amount of modifications/options - bombs, rockets, bombs and rockets, clipped wings, Gyro or Reflector sight, Merlin 66 or 70 engines, mirror, etc.

2. Likes Tumbler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Re: Battle of Bodenplatte is in Early Access!

Very pleased to see so many modifications. The 66 or 70 is a good choice, so is the clipped wings, not many games offer that choice. The gyro gunsight is fun too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Wow very nice! I might be spending some time elsewhere from now on
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Wow, looks really nice.

If DCS doesn't get its act together, BoX will kill DCS WWII. If BoX gives players clickable cockpits (I really hope they add the option), it would be a nail in DCS' coffin.
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

6. Likes Tumbler, CarlMarks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Ok, the .303 are invisible, but i'll settle for this

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    974.2 KB

That wing is the 'e' wing. 2x 20mm and 2x 50cal inboard of the cannons. No .303s on it. Isn't that the loadout for the aircraft in game?

9. Likes Tumbler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Wow, looks really nice.

If DCS doesn't get its act together, BoX will kill DCS WWII. If BoX gives players clickable cockpits (I really hope they add the option), it would be a nail in DCS' coffin.
    They won't and it is not in my opinion any added immersion to it either. I use clickable buttons in DCS because I am too lazy to assign all the buttons.
    There are many other things they could have done that had improved immersion. They could have added trim axes on all planes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.401_Wolverine View Post
    That wing is the 'e' wing. 2x 20mm and 2x 50cal inboard of the cannons. No .303s on it. Isn't that the loadout for the aircraft in game?
    It's indeed the Mk IXe with the .50 in the inboard cannon bays

Just did some quick missions in the Mk IX and the G-14... sweeeet! Can't wait to fly them on the Western European map. Rumor has the Jug is next. Wouldn't mind if Tempest would follow quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Getting closer!

Looks great.

I did pre purchase Bodenplatte, mostly to the P38 and P47, but do not have any of the series.

Since i do not currently have anywhere to them i guess I will have to wait until Bodenplatte comes out to these planes, correct?

"If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Getting closer!

Looks great.

I did pre purchase Bodenplatte, mostly to the P38 and P47, but do not have any of the series.

Since i do not currently have anywhere to them i guess I will have to wait until Bodenplatte comes out to these planes, correct?

Unfortunately yes

However I do say that BoS, BoM, or BoK are all worth a buy as well and you'd probably have fun in those aircraft too if you wanted to fly earlier.

14. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Unfortunately yes

However I do say that BoS, BoM, or BoK are all worth a buy as well and you'd probably have fun in those aircraft too if you wanted to fly earlier.

Thanks Flare.

Doubt that i will purchase one of the others because, well there are only so many hours in a day, and with 5.0 coming out at some point, that will more than fill my available fly time.

Having said that, is there consensus as to which of the three you mentioned is the best, or does it mostly come down to what planes one likes to fly?
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Thanks Flare.

Doubt that i will purchase one of the others because, well there are only so many hours in a day, and with 5.0 coming out at some point, that will more than fill my available fly time.

Having said that, is there consensus as to which of the three you mentioned is the best, or does it mostly come down to what planes one likes to fly?
    Generally just what planes you want to fly the most. BoS planes are available in most of the MP maps and include some fan favourites like the Bf 109 F-4 (the best 109 according to many), but the Kuban planes are higher performance so many prefer them, I prefer the early war birds from BoM like the Mig-3 and the 109 E-7.

17. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    163.3 KB

A recent image of a 'burning' 109G to add atmosphere:

Me109 ardiendo.jpg

Enjoy!

AA_Engadin
    Reality is everything that happens when you run out of battery. But it also can be an alteration of the perception due to a forced lack of alcohol, though. Should both coincide in time, a plan B is compulsory to overcome a deadly overdose of reality.

19. Likes farley liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

The Spit is so much fun! I can manage to easily beat the G-14 in a dogfight, and the plenty of options for the engine, wings, and sights are fun. The armament is extremely effective, one hit at convergence is enough. And of course she handles superbly as a Spitfire does. So easy to just turn in any direction, sideways or vertical, and be on the 109s six in seconds.

The G-14 is a powerful beast, but I had a lot of trouble beating the Spit in a fight. Took me many tries before I could down the Veteran AI. However it too has great armament, the 13mm MG131s are really good and you can get some good snapshots with them if you can manage to get your nose pointed at the enemy in the first place (that's the hard part)! The 10 minute at a time water injection helps out a lot, it's not like say the F-4 where you can hardly use the emergency power. The canopy is nice and clear and helps a lot looking backwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    They could have added trim axes on all planes.
    all planes have trim as was in real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    They could have added trim axes on all planes.
    all planes have trim as was in real.
    What he mean is ability for use e.g. Saitek X-52 (spiking/low resolution) rotaries for "pitch trim" in an, e.g. Yak-1 or P-40 or A-20, etc, instead be an exclusivity of BF 109/Mc 202/Ju-52 "stabilizer adjust" - what for players is "trim" like "Pitch Trim". Probable legacy of limitations in RoF engine.

Or at least remove the ability of use an joy axis for this planes (109...), leaving (the already existent) control by keys/buttons - like for the others planes, then no one have reason for complain "unfair advantage".

I find this Bo'X "trim" complaint moot because unless some custom controllers like GVL224/Kanttori throttles, no commercial joystick/throttle have properly/good quality "rotaries" for practical use for trim control. Saitek Trim Wheel was discontinued by Logitech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    [...]
    I find this Bo'X "trim" complaint moot because unless some custom controllers like GVL224/Kanttori throttles, no commercial joystick/throttle have properly/good quality "rotaries" for practical use for trim control. Saitek Trim Wheel was discontinued by Logitech.
    I use the rotaties on the throttle base of my Saitek X-55 and that works ok for me. You have to play around with the curvature etc a bit though.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

26. Likes farley, \Hawk/, IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

28. Likes Kestrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    20.03 MB

Just picked up Bodenplatte night before last. I haven't had much time to try out the new planes, but suffice to say the addition of the Spit Mk9 still doesn't compete with the BOX 109s as I had hoped. I did a few test flights 1 on 1 from equal altitude. The 109s still have better performance on all counts. Ridiculously, the 109s can still stay ahead of the Spit 9 in a turn due to the Spit's far lower power and extremely rapid loss of momentum. (On singleplayer anyways) You CAN out turn 109s, but that almost requires you to use the exterior view, because once both aircraft are established in the turn and losing speed, you almost need a circle nearly HALF the size of the 109's just to gain on him! AI locks all 109s into an infinite turn in which you cannot catch up unless you have a significant altitude advantage. Yeah, I understand all that talk about the Bf109 being so superior and all that, but I find it hard to believe it's advantage in real life against a Spit 9 was as large as it is in BOX. Try flying the 109G14 and you will see you have no problem turning with nearly full stick, and you can climb forever whereas the Spit is at half speed after only a few seconds, from the same starting alt and speed. My personal experiences only anyways, maybe I just haven't learned the best way to counteract this rift between the 109 and Spit. Probably I just need to get more practice, against human players.

Not game breaking, but I just find it to be disappointing for those players who want to fly the Spit offline. Online players don't use infinite defensive turns.
    Last edited by Kestrel; May-29-2018 at 12:31.
    Kestrel

GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core SSD: 240GB HDD: 1TB OS: Windows 10 Monitor: ASUS LED 25" 1920x1080 1 ms Gaming Monitor Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Quadrant: Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant Head Tracking: Trackhat Clip

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Just picked up Bodenplatte night before last. I haven't had much time to try out the new planes, but suffice to say the addition of the Spit Mk9 still doesn't compete with the BOX 109s as I had hoped. I did a few test flights 1 on 1 from equal altitude. The 109s still have better performance on all counts. Ridiculously, the 109s can still stay ahead of the Spit 9 in a turn due to the Spit's far lower power and extremely rapid loss of momentum. (On singleplayer anyways) You CAN out turn 109s, but that almost requires you to use the exterior view, because once both aircraft are established in the turn and losing speed, you almost need a circle nearly HALF the size of the 109's just to gain on him! AI locks all 109s into an infinite turn in which you cannot catch up unless you have a significant altitude advantage. Yeah, I understand all that talk about the Bf109 being so superior and all that, but I find it hard to believe it's advantage in real life against a Spit 9 was as large as it is in BOX. Try flying the 109G14 and you will see you have no problem turning with nearly full stick, and you can climb forever whereas the Spit is at half speed after only a few seconds, from the same starting alt and speed. My personal experiences only anyways, maybe I just haven't learned the best way to counteract this rift between the 109 and Spit. Probably I just need to get more practice, against human players.

Not game breaking, but I just find it to be disappointing for those players who want to fly the Spit offline. Online players don't use infinite defensive turns.
    Really Kestrel?

I've found that the Spit can easily stay with the 109 G-14 in a turn. I have yet to be shot down by a 109 and when I have been flying the 109 I can only hold a turn with a Spit for a short period of time.

The 109 G-14 does have more horsepower and will outclimb and run faster than the Spit at all but the highest altitudes (true in real life as well with this version of the 109) but the Spit can easily outmaneuver the 109 almost always, and I've been able to outturn it every time. No exterior view required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    20.03 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Really Kestrel?

I've found that the Spit can easily stay with the 109 G-14 in a turn. I have yet to be shot down by a 109 and when I have been flying the 109 I can only hold a turn with a Spit for a short period of time.

The 109 G-14 does have more horsepower and will outclimb and run faster than the Spit at all but the highest altitudes (true in real life as well with this version of the 109) but the Spit can easily outmaneuver the 109 almost always, and I've been able to outturn it every time. No exterior view required.
    I should have been more specific though. I'm not denying that the Spit can stay with the 109 in the turn, I guess what I'm saying is that the Spit loses way more speed in a sustained turn than the 109. This means that the Spit's tighter turn does not allow it to gain on the 109's higher-speed turn IF you're relying on keeping the 109 in the pilot's field of view from the cockpit. This may be historically correct, it's just the degree to which the Spit is slower that I have a problem with. If I turn tighter to gain, the 109 is so fast that it pulls away even when I have the speed advantage!

Dunno if everyone else sees this, but this is what I'm seeing every time on my install anyways... May be something with the AI engine management being different from the player's, cause I don't remember seeing this as much in my online flights...
    Last edited by Kestrel; May-29-2018 at 16:49.
    Kestrel

GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core SSD: 240GB HDD: 1TB OS: Windows 10 Monitor: ASUS LED 25" 1920x1080 1 ms Gaming Monitor Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Quadrant: Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant Head Tracking: Trackhat Clip

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I should have been more specific though. I'm not denying that the Spit can stay with the 109 in the turn, I guess what I'm saying is that the Spit loses way more speed in a sustained turn than the 109. This means that the Spit's tighter turn does not allow it to gain on the 109's higher-speed turn IF you're relying on keeping the 109 in the pilot's field of view from the cockpit. This may be historically correct, it's just the degree to which the Spit is slower that I have a problem with. If I turn tighter to gain, the 109 is so fast that it pulls away even when I have the speed advantage!

Dunno if everyone else sees this, but this is what I'm seeing every time on my install anyways... May be something with the AI engine management being different from the player's, cause I don't remember seeing this as much in my online flights...
    Absolutely not my experience at all in SP. The IX not only maintains but closes on all the 109 variants set to all levels of skill. Only the G14 comes close to getting away in a climb (obviously in SP 1v1 they don't run)
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

33. Likes ATAG_Flare, Kestrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    20.03 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Absolutely not my experience at all in SP. The IX not only maintains but closes on all the 109 variants set to all levels of skill. Only the G14 comes close to getting away in a climb (obviously in SP 1v1 they don't run)
    Hm, still not what I'm seeing at all. But I guess maybe I need a little more experience with playing missions. I have had some trouble with my throttle slider in another simulator, I guess it's possible that I'm not getting the full throttle or prop pitch range in BOX. That would explain why nearly every time I fly I am woefully under powered.... Or maybe I am only a good pilot in 1946!
    Kestrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I just purchased and installed Bodenplatte early access. 1C makes it too darned easy via their online shop. LOL However full blame/credit lies with Arthur and his nifty videos, Flare and his Spitfire IX tutorials on the gunsight, and Kestrel for piquing my interest on the new Spit’s performance!

Other than giving the Spit a quick take off to make sure all has installed OK (it did), I haven’t had the opportunity yet to give it a good wringing out. But...I will!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jun-02-2018 at 08:16.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

36. Likes ATAG_Deacon, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

A spit by my taste, 2 x 250 lb bombs + 1 x 500 lb . Clipped wings and devastating guns. Even comes with the Norwegian pilot Bergs illegal paint scheme .
    I musT admit it felt pretty good flying it

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

On the bomb run....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Some eye-candy

40. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle, Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Looks nice
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Oct-30-2018 at 21:01.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast