Thread: How to stop squirrels getting your nuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

How to stop squirrels getting your nuts!

Put oil on your bird feeder stand...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Re: How to stop squirrels getting your nuts!

Or use a BSA R10 mk2 air rifle in .22 cal like i did this morning , job done.

Hals und beinbruch
    Last edited by 9./JG52_Meyer; Jun-02-2018 at 07:40.
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

3. Likes ATAG_Freya, Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

The children should sell tickets and sell lemonade to see this! Captivating entertainment!
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-02-2018 at 09:25.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    159.78 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    Or use a BSA R10 mk2 air rifle in .22 cal like i did this morning , job done.

Hals und beinbruch
    I hope you made a tasty stew from the results. Onions, potatoes, garlic and seasoning to taste... delicious. Many a meal in my woodsman days. BTW... Possum ain't bad either and more meat to boot (although a bit greasy).
    Last edited by II.JG1_Vonrd; Jun-04-2018 at 01:28.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Quote Originally Posted by II.JG1_Vonrd View Post
    I hope you made a tasty stew from the results. Onions, potatoes, garlic and seasoning to taste... delicious. Many a meal in my woodsman days. BTW... Possum ain't bad either and more meat to boot (although a bit greasy).
    Uuuurrrg ! No i didnt , over here they are known as tree rats
    And thats enough to convince me not to eat it. I eat rabbits i shoot ..
    so i put the corpse on a fox run by my house. It was gone by next morning.
    Ill take your word on the possum as we dont have them over here. Thank god ugly looking things.

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by II.JG1_Vonrd View Post
    Yeah, but pick them up from the side of the interstate highway to take advantage of the Goodyear tenderizing and to save ammo...
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-04-2018 at 10:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

We get a lot of pheasants on the side of the road...although I don't know of anyone who picks them up for a meal...and pheasant is a bit weird...I have been told that the best way to eat them is to hang them for 3 to 7 days which is a ballache...That's probably why folks don't tend to cook them...A bit of a waste really...We seem to have lost the ability to butcher our own meat these days...Buy it from the supermarket folks prefer...

When I say 'waste'...I mean for human consumption and the fact you have to buy your food instead...Nothing is EVER wasted in nature...There's always a living organism will make full use of anything a human disregards...as you know...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Pheasant is great.

Screw hanging it for a month... unless you like eating green fuzzy meat...

Fresh is my preference. It will stay good in a cold room for a day or two.... beyond that? No thanks.

I find it's best done as a pheasant au vin.

It is pretty dry if you roast it... unless you baste it over and over. Smothered in bacon.... then its superb.. but you can't just bung it in the oven and sod off....

I have a few friends who shoot. We get a brace every now and then... and i almost always "au vin" them.

Delish!

I've also stopped to collect after hiting them (accidentally) in the car.....
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jun-04-2018 at 16:01.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

My brother went beating at a pre Christmas pheasant shoot many years back and brought me the pheasants a few days later to pluck, gut and cook - very definitely one of those experiences I don't particularly wish to repeat without a gas mask.

I'm with you Seas, eat 'em fresh or as near to as possible. As for cooking preference - braised in chardonnay or more often just cooked in cider!!

Hungry now

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

11. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Is there much meat on them?...I have been told that the meat is tough cos they are very energetic animals...and low in flavour when they are fresh...I've never had pheasant...I'll try anything when abroad though...Testicles in Istanbul...Sausage in Germany...Venison goulash in Prague...Ostrich and Croc in Africa...Side of the road curry in Sri Lanka (man that was hot)...Llama in Peru...even tried McDonalds in Texas once...Didn't manage to try Guinea Pig in Peru though...We saw them cooking them by the side of the road...but the bus didn't stop so I didn't get to try it...They were a lot bigger than the domestic pet Guinea Pig we get in UK...Like small capybaras!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Two will make a good meal for four.

Basically they work best in a stew... so coc au vin style or as Marco says braised in booze... hehe

They are good roast too.. buy definitely dryer so you have to smother them in bacon... yum!

I once ate bees on toast. I will tell you about it at duxford if I haven't already.

I once ordered calfs liver in a tumble down shed in Tanzania.... the guy went out back.. there was a moo... and he came back in holding a liver.

It was excellent...
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jun-05-2018 at 12:30.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Pheasant is tougher than, say, chicken and in common with game generally is a very lean meat so will dry out during cooking unless you add some fat (bacon, etc). However if you cook it carefully with this in mind there shouldn't be any problems.

Taste wise pheasant (unhung or certainly not for long) has a slight not unpleasant gamey flavour, properly hung it has a pretty strong flavour that is not to everyone's taste - including mine!

A few supermarkets now do packs of pheasant breasts (when in season) or visit your local farmers market if there is a game stall - again when in season so October to end January.

My favorite way to cook pheasant breast is pan fried with apple slices and cider, finish with a hit of cider brandy and cream!!

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

15. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Pheasant or Rodent is best prepared in the pressure cooker. After it's done and cool, batter it and roll it in your favorite crispy crumbs with seasoning to taste. Deep fry that until golden brown. (This 1960's recipe from Mr. Ainsley, the former chef at the RAF Mildenhall Officer's Club.) Absolutely to die for... Send the largest breast to me via FEDEX!

Road kill requires more finesse to remove the rubber taste, but that recipe's classified.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-06-2018 at 07:52.

17. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Marco, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Sometimes the weaponry from the 'ye olde' days works wonders

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

19. Likes Silent135, Ekko, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Sometimes the weaponry from the 'ye olde' days works wonders

Harmless and I'm thinking the animal had fun and joined the line for some more hang time
    Even a blind mosquito finds its way home

21. Likes Vlerkies liked this post