Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Means to an End

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

A Means to an End

Hi everyone,

As our Server Operator announced up in chat, Server 2 is in full operation with a new mission entitled “A Means to an End”, created by TFS’ Ceaser87. I flew it in the wee hours this morning with my Aussie colleague, Torian. He and I set out from different airfields on a train-busting mission. Torian lucked upon a locomotive quite early on and demolished it with his Blenheim. I had a bit of different luck flying my Beaufighter...I didn’t find a train but Gatto flying his 109 E3 found me! I like to think I gave him a bit of a challenge before I took to my chute from my disabled Beau! LOL

All to say, great fun!

Please note that Server 2 has icons and external views enabled. This is because this Server is also used for testing purposes. However, this is a great way for new players to hone their skills before diving into the “full-switch” (ie full real) Server 1. It’s also handy for experienced players to fine-tune their combat skills since the icons give your opponent(s) range from you in km.

Give it a go!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jun-07-2018 at 10:47.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Re: A Means to an End

Nice to hear Snapper.

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Very excited to give it a go... We REALLY need to get in and test these maps out so we can get them in rotation! Please make an effort to jump in and give them a go!
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Jun-08-2018 at 07:19.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Maybe our ATAG and friends get together could be in server 2 to get some traffic on server 2 to test.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis

6. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I really, really want to try it (because Ceaser promised a lot of Beaufighter targets ) but whenever I log in there is always the Moth Mission on server 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Moth mission is off the rotation for the time being, still ironing out bumps in that one.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hi Ho

Been on Server 2 twice .

First time no problems and very much enjoyed straffing airfields , convoys and the like .

Second time with ATAG_Laser , both had launcher crashes but at different times .

No other issues encountered , good fun map .

Knight

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

11. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Yep, apart from one launcher crash everything was working as it should when myself and Knight were on last night, and we enjoyed flying on the map .

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

13. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

This morning we (FG28) flew this mission and by and by quite a lot of other players joined us. I think we had more people on server 2, than on server 1.
    This speaks for the map and we all had a lot of fun.

Just like 'New Dawn Fades' on this maps you have short ways to fly and it is easy to get to the action. I imagine with 50+ players it can get pretty crowded. Red does have some backward airports that you can use to start and climb at height, but maybe it wold be useful to create an airstart for blue, quite some way off.

Lot's of nice targets for the mud-movers. You can even eliminate some with Beaufighter only.
    There is a difference between targets that give points (those mentioned in the briefing) and 'targets of opportunity'.
    It is great fun to blow up some fuel trucks or a whole line of parked 109s or 110s, but if you don't get points for that its somehow, ahem, disaPOINTing, especially if you get hammered by flak.
    AAA is a real threat, but not as deadly as on 'New Dawn Fades' Isle of Wight. This is good and makes sense: the German supplies are spread over much more territory now.

Something I found strange is (but don't know whethter it is map related), that you can blow up trucks with 303s, but not tents. For them you need 20mm.
    Well built tents indeed!

At some point of time I could see a train standing next to the Hamble airfield, while Artist and Ceaser could not see it.

AI still does not despawn and we had a lot of fun watching 2 or 3 versions of ourselves circling the airfields

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Just tested the map, taking out an airfield and changing the state of the map makes raf planes accessable to the blue side.
    Human left over planes start flying again, I guess that would be probably taken away anyway when it gets offical.

And camo tents acts as shield against bombs lol

16. Likes ATAG_Freya, Ceaser87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

That is a problem with the nondestroyable.mis birthplaces numbered incorrectly. Needs re-checked - Kiwi I'll send you a fix (as long as I have the right version, which I think i do...) in a couple hours. Thanks Tibsun!

edt: found the AI not despawning problem too i think..
    Last edited by ATAG_Freya; Jun-18-2018 at 20:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

I was on this map again last night flying a Spit defending against attacks on Ford airfield.

Once again everything seemed to be working as it should for me, although I did experience a couple of slight stutters.

Maybe next time I will try an attack mission in a Beau or Hurri bomber.

It's a good map IMO

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Was on again last night attacking blue airfields in a Hurri bomber and Blennie.

Again, everything worked well, no problems to report.

I do like this map, and I would like to see it in the server #1 rotation

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

I have sent a raid to ports?????? with sunder lands, and as soon as they spawn I get the notification that they are all being killed, but I am the only one on the server ???

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.86 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knuckles View Post
    I have sent a raid to ports?????? with sunder lands, and as soon as they spawn I get the notification that they are all being killed, but I am the only one on the server ???
    Thanks for reporting this Knuckles!
    The AI of the Sunderlands is acting weird by crashing into the ground or into each other.
    I changed some stuff of this raid which should stop this behaviour.
    It will be included in the next version of the mission.

Cheers,
    Ceaser87.

22. Likes Artist, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

Can confirm the drivable tracked vehicles/tanks driver and gunner positions work ok. The drivable wheeled vehicles' steering and acceleration are bugged. Perhaps move the drivable tanks closer the tha battle areas and add some mannable Matilda tanks to the red side if they dont already have them then we can have some tank battles Excellent new map!

24. Likes ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.86 MB

Thanks everyone for your current feedback on the mission!
    It's great to see that you guys enjoy it.

As kiwiflieger already announced in the Chat, a new version of the mission is running on Server 2.
    These changes have been made:

-Blenheims/Beaufighters removed from Ford
    -Tangmere Spawn deleted
    -Westhampnett Spawn deleted
    -Southampton Spawn deleted
    -German artillery moved to AJ20.1
    -German headquarter moved to AJ18.7
    -German convoy moved to AJ20.7
    -Westhampnett has been replaced as a target by Thorney Island airfield
    -the needed bomb load for the destruction of Thorney Island (in first version Westhampnett) has been fixed
    -the Sunderland formation has been fixed (they also spawn in a different location)
    -the Ju-88 formation has been fixed
    -"suggested patrol route" has been added for all raids

If we don't encounter any bigger problems in the near future, this candidate will be moved to Server 1 after some time.

Cheers,
    Ceaser87.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Are we ready to put this in the server 1 rotation yet, is it already in? TBH I haven't gotten to fly alot lately..so I'm not sure if it was inserted in yet.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.86 MB

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would really like to thank everybody who supported me with the creation of this mission.
    That would be all of my friends of the FG28 and everybody of ATAG who made it possible for me to put up my mission on their server and especially Freya, who provided me with multiple missions scripts and always answered my stupid questions about scripting and really helped me out with some big problems I had in my script.

The mission will be put into the rotation of Server #1 in the next days (Thanks Kiwi ).

I created 'A Means to an End' with the idea of it being something like a sequel to 'New Dawn Fades'.
    In 'New Dawn Fades' the Axies invaded England by landing on the Isle of Wight and in 'A Means to an End' they were able to extend their invasion to the mainland.
    But they encountered heavy resistence and their advance came to a halt. Now they started to gather new forces for an upcoming offensive which is supposed to crush the British defences and open up the way to London, but the British are strengthening their defences and are also gathering forces to push out the invaders from their nation.
    The side which is able to achieve the initiative during the next days, might be able to turn the war in their favour.

Both sides don't have to destroy every single objective, but only have to reach a determined total of points which is 60 for the blue side and 65 for the red side.

Briefings:

Red briefing:

Gentleman, it's been several weeks since the Germans were able to occupy the Isle of Wight and expand their invasion to our mainland.
    But after a time of constant retreats, we were finally able to stop their troops and are now trying to start our first counter pushes.
    Our reconnaissance has warned us about fresh German troops which arrived at the frontline and will probably try to break through our defences.
    Your nation is counting on you. Good Luck!

Fighter Command Orders:

Defend our airfields north of Southampton. Especially Upavon, Worthydown and Oldham will probably be targets of Axis attacks.
    Establish air superiority over the territories which are occupied by the Axis and over the frontlines.
    Our defences in and around Petersfield should also be covered, as well as Ford airfield which is under attack of enemy ground units, artillery and bombers.

Bomber Command Orders:

The complete supply system of our enemy on the mainland relies on the harbour of Portsmouth (AG19.6).
    We need to cripple their supply system by sinking the vessels in the harbour and destroying some buildings and fuel tanks nearby.
    Also the train station next to the harbour needs to be destroyed.

shot_20180713_154742.jpg

shot_20180725_160310.jpg

A reconnaissance aircraft has spotted a German flak battery north of Havant (AH20.3).
    The battery isn't set up yet and it should be an easy target.

shot_20180714_174319.jpg

We have information about a German general who is supposed to command a new offensive of the Axis.
    He is currently located north-west of Cowes (AF19.2). Try to find and kill him. This should delay the upcoming offensive.

shot_20180714_182416.jpg

The enemy is currently gathering a fresh infantry division near Chichester (AJ19.7).
    At the moment they've gathered three PAK companies and an ordnance department.
    Their destruction will prevent this division from joining the battle.

shot_20180714_182647.jpg

The enemy is preparing an attack on Ford. The attacking force consists of an infantry convoy and an artillery position.
    The convoy is located in West Dean (AJ 20.7) and the artillery position is located on their non operational air base Westhampnett (AJ20.1).
    Those forces are coordinated by a German headquarter near Bognor Regis (AK19.4).

Headquarter:

shot_20180714_184755.jpg

Convoy:

shot_20180714_184559.jpg

Artillery:

shot_20180714_183003.jpg

The following airfields of the enemy should be targets of priority for our bombers:
    Sandown, Ryde, Westhampnett and Portsmouth airfield.

Targets of opportunity:

- Attacking force south of Petersfield
    - Supply train leaving Portsmouth harbour towards East
    - Supply train leaving Havant towards west

5 points per target, 10 points per airfield and Portsmouth harbour
    65 total = victory
    Blue briefing:

Pilots, after we were able to land on the Isle of Wight and extend our invasion to the British mainland, the Brits now managed to bring our advance to a halt.
    But we are gathering fresh troops which will soon be send to the frontlines to support our next offensive.
    If we succeed with this offensive as planed, we should be able to crush big parts of the British ground forces, the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force.
    This should open us the way to London.

Fighter Command Orders:

Defend our airfields on the Isle of Wight and on the British mainland from enemy bomber raids.
    The enemy will probably target Westhampnett and Portsmouth, because they are our only airfields on the mainland from which we are operating with Stukas and Bf 110s.
    Sandown should also be defended, because it is our most important bomber base in the area.
    Ryde will also probably be a target, because it is the only Italian airfield and it's destruction will stop the Regia Aeronautica from supporting our forces.
    Establish air superiority over the area occupied by our forces and defend our units near Chichester and Bognor Regis, as well as our supply line in Portsmouth.

Bomber Command Orders:

The enemy is currently gathering troops and supplies east of Winchester(AF22.5).
    Destroy them so they aren't a threat anymore.

shot_20180714_190256.jpg

A british artillery battery south of Southampton(AE20.6) is shelling our airfield Hamble with the support of some tanks.
    We can't lose Hamble. Destroy the battery.Our AAA at the airfield is returning the fire.

shot_20180714_190500.jpg

Some of our tanks will try to break through the British defences at Petersfield(AH21.9) and capture the city.
    Provide air support by destroying the British defences.

shot_20180714_190648.jpg

An artillery convoy of the enemy seems to be stuck at a bridge north of Cocking(AJ21.8).
    This is a good chance to catch them off guard and erase them.

shot_20180714_190826.jpg

The enemy is gathering supplies in his military base north-east of Petersfield(AI22.5).
    Destroy the fuel tanks and the ammunition depot to cut off their troops from supplies for some time.

shot_20180714_191029.jpg

A train station in Brighton(AN19.8) is used by the enemy to transport troops to the frontline and to evacuate important officers from the front.
    Destroy it by bombing the railway station.

shot_20180714_191219.jpg

The following airfields of the enemy need to be destroyed to disturb the actions of the RAF in this area:
    Worthydown, Upavon, Oldham and Ford.

Targets of opportunity:

-Enemy tanks that are supporting the artillery battery near Southampton(AE20.6)
    -Destroy the British defences at the airfield of Ford(Tanks, artillery battery on the east side of the river)
    -British train leaving a train station near Ford heading towards east

Study the reconnaissance pictures of the targets to identify them more easily(Especially for the military base and the railway)

5 points per target, 10 points per airfield and the military base
    60 total = victory
    If you encounter problems in the mission or want to suggest some improvements to the mission, please post them here in the thread.
    I hope you will enjoy the mission!

Cheers,
    Ceaser87.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

And the map is live in the next rotation

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

In response to OP's solicitation, "If you encounter problems in the mission or want to suggest some improvements to the mission, please post them here in the thread."
    Please rename your picture files to provide brief descriptions while browsing through them.

Example: Change "shot_20180725_160310.jpg" to something like "Portsmouth_Railway_Station.jpg"

The Pseudo Black and White photos lend a realistic touch to your mission. It's easy for us to forget that Kodachrome was not widely available to recon units during the early years of the war.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-26-2018 at 16:24.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Please rename your picture files to provide brief descriptions while browsing through them.

Example: Change "shot_20180725_160310.jpg" to something like "Portsmouth_Railway_Station.jpg"
    You appear to have forgotten the Thank You.

(but we all know you meant it)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

I just printed them out and wrote the description on the printed photos

Asus Z390 MB, 32 GB Corsair RAM, 850 W Power Supply, Intel Core i7 9700K GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8 G and about a dozen squirrels running on a wheel that I sometimes forget to feed !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Pleased to here this map is now in the rotation.

I enjoyed flying it on server #2

Thank you to all concerned in the making of A means to an end

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knuckles View Post
    I just printed them out and wrote the description on the printed photos
    Mine are still drying on the clothes line in the cupboard under the stairs.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Finally LOTS of targets for a Beaufighter

35. Likes 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.39 MB

Thank you very much Everyone involved in the creation of this mission!

Alot of juicy targets on both sides.
    Instant action, as they are pretty close to "homebase".

Looking forward to this one!

Intel 6Core i7 coffee lake 8700k delidded@4.8ghz1,225v. is-60cpu cooler. msiz370 gaming pro carbon ac itx hk.Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti 11gb palit w. custom cooling.
    16gb 3200mhz lpx ram. Corsair sfx 600w gold psu. Samsung 960 evo 512gb m2 nvme+250gb ssd. Samsung c32f391. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog+VKB T-Rudder Pedals

37. Likes ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Mine are still drying on the clothes line in the cupboard under the stairs.
    Are you.....are you Harry Potter...THE Harry Potter?
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

~S~ all,

I regret to report that this mission is seriously bugged. After some successful bombing at Westhampnett and against a convoy target, further bombing of all other targets proved completely impossible. This occurred approximately 40 minutes into the mission. Bombs were placed directly on both hard and soft targets with absolutely no effect. Additionally fighters were positively confirmed as kills with no credit being reported. This was observed by both myself and 69th_Kendy this evening, flying Red. I do not know if Blue pilots experienced same.

Sincerely,
    71st_AH_RebelSqurl
    71st_AH_RebelSqurl

"Those who cannot relinquish the comfort of their own hate, damn only themselves in the end."

Intel i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHz | 2GB GeForce GTX 760 | 16GB DDR3-1866 DIMM | Win 10 | VKB Gladiator joystick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Thanks RebelSqurl, our team will look into it.

41. Likes 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast