Thread: Normandy and Vsync

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Normandy and Vsync

I posted this in both the ED and BOX forums too in the hope someone may being to shed some light on the matter.

"Ill confess to being pretty negative about DCS WW2 and especially the Normandy map. Having upgraded to a GTX1080 I decided to give it another look following the June Update.

For me at least, I can run it all at pretty high settings in HD but there is one huge oddity. Id be grateful in anyone can explain or provide a solution.

Vsync on in game results in 25 fps below 300ft - this happens overland and also in the middle of the channel.

If I turn off the in game vsync my frames never drop below 87 fps, even at 100ft over Caen. Oddly though I get no screen tear from the prop or fast head movements. (60Hz monitor). Over the general scenery my FPS is 105-115 in the weeds. Gameplay is quite smooth but its not buttery smooth due to the uneven frame timings - its not far off but a vsync'd profile is still much smoother (over 300ft)

Employing the Nvidia control panel throws up more oddities - Firstly it only works if I use the default Blackshark/dcs.exe in the NCP. This despite me starting the game from a different path using "Run.exe"

If I Alt Enter I get the following results:

Fast sync - no effect
    Adaptive - no effect
    On - same 25 fps below 300ft as the in game setting.

Is this just one of the things wrong currently with the map or is there a golden formula or settings?

Thanks"

Any suggestions/solutions gratefully received.

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Re: Normandy and Vsync

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post

Any suggestions/solutions gratefully received.

BOO
    Wish I could help Boo, until they get the P-47 done I'm not going to get into DCS. Eagerly awaiting the
    P-38 and P-47 in BoBp...

I'm hopeful someone comes along to provide an answer
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

3. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Stupid easy stuff in the end.

The power profile needed to be set to prefer max power in the GLOBAL OPTIONS - setting this in the program specific section alone didn't work. Basic stuff this smartass forgot!!

Incredible what an effect it had!!

hmmm - kinda wish id saved me £500 and kept the 1060 now!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

5. Likes ATAG_Torian, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

lol I was half way thru a post back when I saw u had already found the solution
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

7. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Stupid easy stuff in the end.

The power profile needed to be set to prefer max power in the GLOBAL OPTIONS - setting this in the program specific section alone didn't work. Basic stuff this smartass forgot!!

Incredible what an effect it had!!

hmmm - kinda wish id saved me £500 and kept the 1060 now!!
    this?

Desktop Screenshot 2018.06.10 - 14.34.02.31.png
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_((dB)) View Post
    Yup!!

The FIRST thing EVERY guide about NCP says to do!!

Up until perhaps the last year ive done it. Then I got out of the habit cos I began using Inspector. Ive always blamed the old 1060 for the performance but perhaps this may also affected it. That said it does seem to be a Normandy exclusive issue but then it could also be to do with that map being a biatch for resources and hammering the GPU.

The Fps over Caen and Le Harve in DCS on my new 1080 was 25fps without this. This ONLY affected stuff when vsync was turned on and only affected Normandy so Trump alone knows what is going on in that map. If I switched off vsync I got 100fps which is odd. I think it has to be set in the global option because I'm damn sure it was set in the game profile part of NCP to no effect. I could be wrong though.

Its gonna cost me money however. Now the map works well (and after the last update and despite my early "Meh" it does work and looks pretty well) I need sommat fast with a good view to get around it all! Today was the first time in 15 months my patience allowed me a flight to Leharve. Before than I hadn't flown for anything more than a few minutes. That A10 isn't much faster than the spit so looks like the F18. I got me some catching up to do!