Thread: Any way to Display Heading text?

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Any way to Display Heading text?

I'm news to Blitz and new here, so my apologies if this has been asked before - did a search, but came up dry. I've been trying to fly the Spitfire and have become frustrated with how ones supposed to easily acquire the current heading to turn to a new one. I've watched the tutorials on youtube about adjusting the compass to the T indicator and then adjusting the gyro with the resulting course setting + declination to ensure it's accurate. I've also assigned the keys to my stick that makes adjusting those easier. So that part of operations is all good. My problem is that the only way I can get the initial heading info is to hover my mouse pointer over the gyro as it's well obscured by the stick column and the cockpit zoom doesn't help much. The compass is equally obscured. I find that very awkward and would really like an easier way of getting my heading info.

I've gone through the console commands and the info window configurations and there doesn't seem to be anything there for displaying heading info. As I said above, I'm new to this sim so am I just missing something something here?
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-10-2018 at 11:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re: Any way to Display Heading text?

I am not personally aware of any way to do this. One of the ATAG guys may chime in.

The English aircraft navigational instruments are more suited to a boat than a plane. The Germans did a far better job in this regard.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

If you are using Track-IR you crane your head way over to the side to look at the compass... you can estimate the heading from that, or turn the course setter to get an exact heading, then set your gyro compass to 10 degrees less. Then after 2-3 minutes the gyro will have wandered (especially if you make any turns), then you can do it all over again. All whilst watching out for blues. becomes second nature after a couple years! 8-)
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Check into 'virtual pilot'. I think that's what you are looking for.

I've never used it so I'm not sure if this is good info.

Edit: VPHUD Virtual pilot head up display.
    Last edited by DRock; Jul-10-2018 at 17:03.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately no Track IR in my current setup, so I'm stuck using my sticks hat switch for cockpit panning. I did map the cockpit zoom to a stick button, which has really helped with most aircraft, but not much with the Spitfire and Hurricane. I'm not familiar with Virtual Pilot, but I'll use my be best google-fu to track it down.

[Edit] The onlyt Virtual Pilot Heads Up Display I can come up with, is a mod exclusive to ARMA 3. if such a thing was available for Blitz it would certainly do the trick nicely, but I can't seem to find a IL-2 CoD compatible version.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-10-2018 at 19:14.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

I also came across the NewView tool in the Utilities & Tools forum that zooms in on the compass, which could work for me. Sadly, it hasn't been recompiled for 64 so it isn't usable with 4.5/Blitz which I'm now running. There was discussion in the sticky'd thread about the original coder recompiling it for 64 bit, but with that being more than 6 months ago I'm guessing that probably isn't going to be happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You are out luck.

No way to display heading in "HUD" (a la il-2:46) (1).
    No easy way to look at compass in Spitfire and Hurricane (is worse in this).
    No "lubber line" in P-8 compass 3d for easy set headings, need use the dumb "HUD".

NewView don't work in Blitz (is 32 bits sofware).

(1) In fact is possible use a scrip that show actual heading time from time, is called "frog Bar" - besides cumbersome work only in SP. Look at SimHQ or 1cforum (banana's) may still available.

IMO, you best option is use Virtual Cockpit through a second monitor, laptop, or Android smartphone, look in the specific topic there.

8. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    You are out luck.

No way to display heading in "HUD" (a la il-2:46) (1).
    No easy way to look at compass in Spitfire and Hurricane (is worse in this).
    No "lubber line" in P-8 compass 3d for easy set headings, need use the dumb "HUD".

NewView don't work in Blitz (is 32 bits sofware).

(1) In fact is possible use a scrip that show actual heading time from time, is called "frog Bar" - besides cumbersome work only in SP. Look at SimHQ or 1cforum (banana's) may still available.

IMO, you best option is use Virtual Cockpit through a second monitor, laptop, or Android smartphone, look in the specific topic there.

Virtual cockpit, that's it. Thanks 1lokos.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Really appreciate the reply 1lokos. Android is the best option for me, as I have a 7" and 10" Tablet running the Android OS and a few mobile phones as well. The only app named "Virtual Cockpit" I could find in the Google Play Store was DCS specific, which is good to know because I own that combat sim too; albeit I don't have problems with reading any of the flight data I need with it. However, I also came across a free Android app called "BF109 Instruments" that works for both DCS and IL-2 CloD. It allows you to configure it to display the instruments for the DCS BF109 or FW190, or the CloD BF109 or Spitfire. The IL-2 Clod configuration for it works in conjunction with a PC app called ClodDataLink.exe. All that was required was for me to copy that EXE and a config.ini into a folder (made if a subfolder under the IL-2 installation folder) and then edit the INI by adding my Tablet's IP address. And then of course run the ClodDataLink.

Wow, just wow - I had it working in a matter of minutes and could for the first time view my Spitfire's compass heading without any hassle! The app displays 15 different instruments for the Spitfire, most of which I can read fine from the ingame cockpit but it's nice to have them displayed in a clean easy to read interface. It would be nice if it had a config setting for the Hurricane too, but I'm very happy to be finally seeing that Spitfire compass.

Anyhow...thanks again for you comments, as I really wouldn't have thought to look in that direction for a solution.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-11-2018 at 15:57.

11. Likes DRock liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Here's a screenshot of BF109 Instrument's display for the Spitfire, taken without CloD running and sending data.

Screenshot_20180711-130927.jpg

13. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Yes, for Android tablet/smartphone the only option is Miai (DCS) Bf109/Fw 190 Instruments - that support CloD Spitfire too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.mihaig.bf109

BTW - In this "Instruments" you don't see P-8 Compass because DI (Directional Gyro) show the true heading, so DI is always sync with compass.

TF Devicelink Virtual Cockpit work only in Windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I just fired up Virtual Cockpit and noticed there is a configuration for 'RAF Compass'. This has just the directional gyro and the hard-to-see magnetic compass.

If your PC supports a second monitor you can run this now. The software is in the downloads section.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    If your PC supports a second monitor you can run this now. The software is in the downloads section.
    It does, but that output is connected to a HDTV on the other side of the room. Despite having rudder pedals, throttle quadrant and joystick connected to my PC, it's only a part-time virtual cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Really appreciate the reply 1lokos. Android is the best option for me, as I have a 7" and 10" Tablet running the Android OS and a few mobile phones as well. The only app named "Virtual Cockpit" I could find in the Google Play Store was DCS specific, which is good to know because I own that combat sim too; albeit I don't have problems with reading any of the flight data I need with it. However, I also came across a free Android app called "BF109 Instruments" that works for both DCS and IL-2 CloD. It allows you to configure it to display the instruments for the DCS BF109 or FW190, or the CloD BF109 or Spitfire. The IL-2 Clod configuration for it works in conjunction with a PC app called ClodDataLink.exe. All that was required was for me to copy that EXE and a config.ini into a folder (made if a subfolder under the IL-2 installation folder) and then edit the INI by adding my Tablet's IP address. And then of course run the ClodDataLink.

Wow, just wow - I had it working in a matter of minutes and could for the first time view my Spitfire's compass heading without any hassle! The app displays 15 different instruments for the Spitfire, most of which I can read fine from the ingame cockpit but it's nice to have them displayed in a clean easy to read interface. It would be nice if it had a config setting for the Hurricane too, but I'm very happy to be finally seeing that Spitfire compass.

Anyhow...thanks again for you comments, as I really wouldn't have thought to look in that direction for a solution.
    I have been using the Android virtual cockpit for a while now and it is very good.

Another good thing with this is that the directional gyro always displays the correct heading, even if you don't bother to set up the in cockpit compass and gyro.

It is a known fact that the british gyro goes out of sync after violent manouvers such as dogfighting, not so with this AP, the dg always displays the correct heading, although I don't think that it allows the 10 degrees for magnetic declination ( I think that is what it is called) but I find that it's accurate enough .

Incidentally, the spitfire instruments in Clod works with the Hurricane too

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Thanks for the reply Lazer. Back in the days before GPS I was once employed doing trail upgrade within government parks in British Columbia, where we worked, sweated and swore by our compasses and altimeters. As well, in my late teens I participated in a program called Outward Bound, where the final exam was to be dropped in the middle of the BC wilderness and navigate your way out. While I've never set a compass & gyro in a real vintage aircraft, the nature of the required skill does sort of evoke a sense of been-there-done-that for me. Bottom line; while I'm comfortable with setting the Spitfire or Hurricane compass and gyro, I'm totally cool with doing without that realism. More importantly though, the app gets me back 4 previously mapped buttons on my joystick. Which with the amount of mapping that seems to be required for this game, is no small boon!

I did notice that BF109 Instruments works with the other allied aircraft. I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of all the other cockpits yet, but I'm guessing the 15 gauges represented by the app's Spitfire config may not be entirely pertinent to, or complete enough, for some of the other aircraft. TBH I'd be surprised if the compass heading that's sent by ClodDataLink doesn't factor in the magnetic declination. But I'm assuming there that it's connecting to and sending real time, core environment data from Blitz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

"Instruments" show true heading in Spitfire DG due lack of space in smartphones screen for model the P-8 compass, so I suggest Miai program to DG for show compass heading, but DG don't compensate Magnetic Declination.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-13-2018 at 16:34.

20. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

"Instruments" show true heading in Spitfire DG due lack of space in smartphones screen for model the P-8 compass, so I suggest Miai program to DG for show compass heading, but DG don't compensate Magnetic Declination.
    Oh OK - fair enough.