Thread: Internal Padlocking - Stranger Results / Weird Behavior

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Internal Padlocking - Stranger Results / Weird Behavior

Before anyone asks; no I no longer have a working TrackIR. Sorry, felt the need to get that out of the way; during my search for padlock related posts, I came across one where a poster was very rudely berated for having the audacity to play this combat sim while not owning a TrackIR.
    I've owned a TrackIR before and know how awesome a device they are, but there isn't the funds in my current gaming budget to replace it. As well, I'm exclusively an offline/SP player when it comes to combat sims and I've become comfortable with handling views via a joystick hat.

Anyhow, I'm encountering weird behavior when attempting Internal Padlocking. I'm new to this sim, so I'm not 100% confident that I'm doing the procedure correctly, but there's little to no info on it in the IL-2 CloD manual or other fan-made references I've read. I've mapped the Padlock Next and Padlock Previous commands to joystick buttons and are allowing Padlock views in the Realism settings. When I enter Internal Packlock [F4], I don't notice any change from the standard internal cockpit view. I'm guessing that's the expected result. However, when I press the Padlock Next or Padlock Previous command that are mapped to buttons on my stick, I get a split-second minor shift of my cockpit view, but it returns to normal and no aircraft are ever tracked. Now the weird part, when I fall back to a certain distant from enemy aircraft, my targeting sight disappears. Meanwhile, when I close the distance between me and enemy aircraft, my targeting sight eventually reappears.

That just seems wrong to me and feels more like the internal padlock is malfunctioning. The disappearing and reappearing targeting sight does lead me to suspect that some part of the padlocking is working, but not correctly. As I said though, I'm not a 100% I'm doing the procedure correctly, or whether a disappearing and reappearing targeting sight is due to some other game function or feature. If anyone could give me the correct procedures for internal padlocking, or any feedback as to whether what I'm experiencing is normal, It'd be much appreciated.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Re: Internal Padlocking - Stranger Results / Weird Behavior

My knowledge of the Padlock tracking is limited, but for the F4 to work properly, you need to be looking at the general area where the object you want to track actually is... and probably, there's a range factor too, so anything too far away may/will not be tracked.

As for Next/Previous, and the 'Targeting Sight' ... I dunno ...

It might be flawed and all, but trouble is that hardly anybody uses it... by the looks of it.

Good Luck!

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Re: Internal Padlocking - Stranger Results / Weird Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    My knowledge of the Padlock tracking is limited, but for the F4 to work properly, you need to be looking at the general area where the object you want to track actually is... and probably, there's a range factor too, so anything too far away may/will not be tracked.
    Well yesterday while playing the campaign, I tried pressing the [F4] padlock during a knifing attack pass on Ju 87 that I go so close to that it almost filled my entire windshield. No joy though, the aircraft was not padlocked. I'm wondering if it might be related to one of my realism settings? I have the "No Padlock" view option disabled, but I'm wondering if there's some other view restriction I need to disable? Anyhow, it's not too bad a problem as I'm usually able to track a Ju 87 or He 111 effectively via hat switch panning. It's faster aircraft like the BF 109 that I'm more concerned about, as they can can really challenge my ability to twitch that hat about with my thumb.