Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Modules

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Favourite Modules

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Lol. Well at least you had a bash at it. Good for you.
    Maybe a Robinson R22 or 44 if you were doing a course of sorts. ppl(h)

I'll try rockup for training not wearing short pants and flipflops with a beer in hand so they at least let me in the door for the course when I go.

http://www.helistart.com/helisimcontrols.aspx
    http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...lective_Module

As for non cable bike throttles, plenty, just search for 'fly by wire' throttles. But you will be expected to pay handsomely for these parts, as they reside on some premium bikes.
    Mobility scooter ones are really cheap ! Just gotta gety Hall ones

And yeah Heli wise ... it was PPL or rather the guy who was my instructor was on that trajectory as far as i was concerened... I rocked up at Shoreham after booking a charter flight so I could take aerial photos... and I ended up doing all the flying.

In hind sight I probably should have asked him for a discount

BEST DAY AT WORK EVER!

and then shortly after I ran out of cash.... and I've not had any since !!

its so weird doing the huey stuff... it really brought all that back... incredible really. Its a great bit of sim coding.

and this demends a decent collective... or its just not gonna be right.

commercially available ones are very expensive though... maybe at some point... but for now its definately mission DIY.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jul-19-2018 at 16:49.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

2. Likes Vlerkies, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Mobility scooter ones are really cheap ! Just gotta gety Hall ones

And yeah Heli wise ... it was PPL or rather the guy who was my instructor was on that trajectory as far as i was concerened... I rocked up at Shoreham after booking a charter flight so I could take aerial photos... and I ended up doing all the flying.

In hind sight I probably should have asked him for a discount

BEST DAY AT WORK EVER!

and then shortly after I ran out of cash.... and I've not had any since !!

its so weird doing the huey stuff... it really brought all that back... incredible really. Its a great bit of sim coding.

and this demends a decent collective... or its just not gonna be right.

commercially available ones are very expensive though... maybe at some point... but for now its definately mission DIY.
    Nice

1Lokos / Sokol1_br on eagle will certainly be able to help you out for sure with DIY components. I assume the same person, and he is a genius when it comes to these things, Helped me plenty in the past with sensor type info on Eagle.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

4. Likes ATAG_Highseas, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Nice

1Lokos / Sokol1_br on eagle will certainly be able to help you out for sure with DIY components. I assume the same person, and he is a genius when it comes to these things, Helped me plenty in the past with sensor type info on Eagle.
    yep... same chap.

He was massively helpful when i was making my first peripheral.

He has way more knowledge on this stuff than I will ever have... and is able to get enough across in very few exchanges to see you right.

never flown with him... but he's a superstar.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

6. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Hi Seas,

It would seem from a quick look on t'internet with the help of google that these throttle thingies tend to have a power output in the range of 0.8-4.3 volts.

This means they fit comfortably within the 0-5v range of much of the Arduino stuff - 5 volt stuff anyways.

These controllers also seem to be three wire jobs - so +5v, gound and signal. Wire it like a pot and you should be good to go.

Of course I could be very wrong!!!

~S~

Forgot to add: Always check the wiring diagrams.
    Last edited by Marco; Jul-19-2018 at 18:07.
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

8. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Seas,

It would seem from a quick look on t'internet with the help of google that these throttle thingies tend to have a power output in the range of 0.8-4.3 volts.

This means they fit comfortably within the 0-5v range of much of the Arduino stuff - 5 volt stuff anyways.

These controllers also seem to be three wire jobs - so +5v, gound and signal. Wire it like a pot and you should be good to go.

Of course I could be very wrong!!!

~S~

Forgot to add: Always check the wiring diagrams.
    Cheers Marco... That's pretty much where i got to as well... specs look like they should work...

RIGHT... ! Cost for experimental parts is low...

Im gonna be the test pilot on this one....

keep ya posted !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

10. Likes Marco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

DIY Helicopter Collective

Bought.

2 electric scooter twist throttles... one for the twist throtle... and the other either for the collective itself... or to make a second unit... we will see...

When they arrive I will rig em up and confirm if the Arduino recognises them...

(once I have another Arduino board of course... )

the "peripherals merigoround" appears to have started it's spin!

watch this space

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Man... I love the Huey !!

been messing about on the harbour tour mission...

Havent made it back to land on that yet as i seem to loos power over the water... siren sound... no doing... splosh !

i think maybe im panicink on the collective at too low rpm... and its stalling out.

that said it might be many things !!

huge fun though.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

13. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Man... I love the Huey !!

Havent made it back to land on that yet as i seem to loos power over the water... siren sound... no doing... splosh !

i think maybe im panicink on the collective at too low rpm... and its stalling out.
    Yeah we all been there

That the low rpm horn.
    I suspect you are coming in to land and that your vertical rate of descent is to high and airspeed are not well controlled, then to arrest that you grab a fistful of collective and overload the blades/engine and then suffer from either vrs or settling into power.

2 key things you need to manage, 1 Airspeed, 2 Vertical descent

Keep your eye on your airspeed and your vertical rate of descent on your approach. You should be slowing down all the way into the landing.
    On sink rate try keep it no more than '5' on the gauge when you get close to the ground cause as you slow down, depending on wind direction you could end up in vrs and death.

As your airspeed decreases and you get to around 25-30 knots or so, be ready to 'catch' it with a bit of collective.
    This is around where you start to transition from forward flight to hover and you will need a bit more power when that happens, but you can easily anticipate it if you have idea of the wind (if any) and are in control of your sink rate.
    You can read more about ETL on the web but if you watch that speed and sink rate number and keep that under control it add many years to your virtual pilots life.

Just start practicing in an open field with no real restriction on exactly where you need to touch down and keep your eye on the gauges.
    Also from a safe Alt, practice slowing down and descending at a controlled rate with a 'Virtual deck' of say a 1000ft. that way if you get into trouble you will also be practicing how to recover as you will have some Alt to spare.

Also a good vid talking VRS vs Settling with power.

One last thing.
    I assume you have the trimmer mapped and working?
    By default through the rudder portion of the trimmer is deactivated, don't know why as the huey had both cyclic and rudder trim.
    In the controls under the 'Special' tab for the Huey tick Rudder Trimmer. That will enable it so that when you trim for flight it includes your held rudder position.

It really is a great module and very satisfying to learn to fly.
    Also lots of landing tuts on youtube, watch a few and look at the gauges and you will see what I mean.

Good luck
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jul-29-2018 at 12:49.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

15. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Another goody that did the rounds
    VRS and the Vuichard recovery technique

Just need to take note of the blade rotation so
    MI8 + Gazelle should be Left cyclic/Right pedal
    Huey Right cyclic / left pedal

17. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Yeah we all been there

That the low rpm horn.
    I suspect you are coming in to land and that your vertical rate of descent is to high and airspeed are not well controlled, then to arrest that you grab a fistful of collective and overload the blades/engine and then suffer from either vrs or settling into power.

2 key things you need to manage, 1 Airspeed, 2 Vertical descent

Keep your eye on your airspeed and your vertical rate of descent on your approach. You should be slowing down all the way into the landing.
    On sink rate try keep it no more than '5' on the gauge when you get close to the ground cause as you slow down, depending on wind direction you could end up in vrs and death.

As your airspeed decreases and you get to around 25-30 knots or so, be ready to 'catch' it with a bit of collective.
    This is around where you start to transition from forward flight to hover and you will need a bit more power when that happens, but you can easily anticipate it if you have idea of the wind (if any) and are in control of your sink rate.
    You can read more about ETL on the web but if you watch that speed and sink rate number and keep that under control it add many years to your virtual pilots life.

Just start practicing in an open field with no real restriction on exactly where you need to touch down and keep your eye on the gauges.
    Also from a safe Alt, practice slowing down and descending at a controlled rate with a 'Virtual deck' of say a 1000ft. that way if you get into trouble you will also be practicing how to recover as you will have some Alt to spare.

Also a good vid talking VRS vs Settling with power.

One last thing.
    I assume you have the trimmer mapped and working?
    By default through the rudder portion of the trimmer is deactivated, don't know why as the huey had both cyclic and rudder trim.
    In the controls under the 'Special' tab for the Huey tick Rudder Trimmer. That will enable it so that when you trim for flight it includes your held rudder position.

It really is a great module and very satisfying to learn to fly.
    Also lots of landing tuts on youtube, watch a few and look at the gauges and you will see what I mean.

Good luck
    Sounds from that like vrs

Cheers!...

It was also 4am and wqy too many beers!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

19. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Flying without to many beers is hazardous, they calm my nerves cause I am scared of heights

So messing about on the instant action missions I went to go and rescue some folks that left the stove on and burnt their house down.
    As I come land and loadup the injured I can hear another chopper around but cant see it. Its close though.

Wounded loaded, doors closed and as I lift off this big fat girl promptly sits on me.

Last edited by Vlerkies; Jul-30-2018 at 03:02.

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Silent135, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Seas, I would highly recommend Chucks Guides as a place to start with DCS controls and learning a new aircraft. It's where I start with my bindings then I work out what works for me,
    Good luck with the Huey she's a fine bird when you get to know her.

Frankie
    My Machine CPU: i7 7700k 4..2Ghz Motherboard: Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 Socket 1151 Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1080 Strix 8GB ROG Direct CU III Aura RGB Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 2400Mhz 2 x Matched Pair Peripherals: Oculus Rift, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Kensington Trackball, CH Pro Throttle Quadrant, 2 x Saitek Trim Wheels, Razer Tarterus V2 Gaming Keypad

23. Likes BOO, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.68 MB

I will second how great Chucks guides are.

Secondly I’m loving the Mig21 fantastic cockpit, a challenge to land.

25. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I missed this somehow. A series of interviews with Mark Garrison about his time as a Huey pilot in Vietnam.
    Also has a book and audio book out I will certainly look at. (Guts n Gunships)

Short finals synopses made me chuckle, the dark humor masks the magnitude of it all.

Here's actual audio of part of that mission.

Reflecting on his first mission, scary

27. Likes BOO, ATAG_Pattle, Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Frankenstien View Post
    Hey Seas, I would highly recommend Chucks Guides as a place to start with DCS controls and learning a new aircraft. It's where I start with my bindings then I work out what works for me,
    Good luck with the Huey she's a fine bird when you get to know her.

Frankie
    Ha... that was the first thing i did when i got the Huey.... search for chucks guide.

Brilliant! The guy is a star.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB
    Target 4 'o' clock low

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

re-trying the Huey last night (and once id got over thinking about the state of Vortex's ring) I still find it a handful even unloaded.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    re-trying the Huey last night (and once id got over thinking about the state of Vortex's ring) I still find it a handful even unloaded.
    “There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
    — Douglas Adams

32. Likes BOO liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by EAF602_Red View Post
    The mossie is just AI "dressing". The P47 is supposedly making its way to a module (I think in the time ED have taken so far the real thing had been designed, test flown, seen combat, been retired, been restored and placed in museum) will also be AI only for some time to come.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah Chucks guides are good reading material

Real nice guy from what I remember of him here as well
    My Machine CPU: i7 7700k 4..2Ghz Motherboard: Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 Socket 1151 Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1080 Strix 8GB ROG Direct CU III Aura RGB Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 DRAM 2400Mhz 2 x Matched Pair Peripherals: Oculus Rift, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Kensington Trackball, CH Pro Throttle Quadrant, 2 x Saitek Trim Wheels, Razer Tarterus V2 Gaming Keypad

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

Hi High..

So what modules did you purchase? I am with Boo on getting the A10C, even though it is sooo slow..

The only thing that saddens me with DCS, is no MP dynamic campaign..aka F4.

The A10C will give that warthog stick set a work out.
    Last edited by gonk; Sep-08-2018 at 22:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Huey and the spit.

Oh and the flaming cliffs set just to have some jets.

The spit is odd. Almost imediate blackout with any downward pitch input. Doesnt happen in any of the jets.

I think its probably not working properly.

Huey is the one im most interested in. Hence making the collective.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gonk View Post
    Hi High..

So what modules did you purchase? I am with Boo on getting the A10C, even though it is sooo slow..

The only thing that saddens me with DCS, is no MP dynamic campaign..aka F4.

The A10C will give that warthog stick set a work out.
    Get the Huey when it's on sale (Thanksgiving). I've been able to make some easy SP missions, but would be fun to do MP. See some previous discussions on it.

When my workload lessens, I'm game to doing some online stuff. Don't get Red sucked in though.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post

Mig 15 all the way.

Hals und bein bruch (In Korean)
    Yes, yes, yes

39. Likes 5th Hellrider liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12