Thread: Hurricane Radiator at Start up?

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Hurricane Radiator at Start up?

There's conflicting instructions in Chuck's guide and the Hurricane webpage sticky'd on this website. Chucks says open it, the guide here says close it. I admittedly lack knowledge on the mechanical intricacies of aircraft from this era and are much more familiar with the workings of modern GA prop aircraft, which seem positively bleeding edge for such control compared to these warbirds. It does seem to make sense to me, that if achieving 60 deg water radiator temp is a concern, that closed radiator might be a good idea. Chuck's guide seems to suggest that taxing will get it and oil temp to the desired threshold and taxing cold is OK as long as you don't get above 20% throttle; I'm thinking that translates into about 1" on the lever. Both guides say radiator must be open on take-off.

I'm just into the campaign and TBH I can't even recall what variant of the Hurricane I'm flying, so it's possible I'm reading the wrong Hurricane webpage. I'd like to hear from the more experienced CloD pilots here, which is the correct setting for the Hurricane you're given at the start of the campaign?
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-19-2018 at 15:39.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Hurricane Radiator at Start up?

in the campaign don't you start on the runway with a pre warmed engine already running? If so - keep it open

If you are cold starting then Chucks guide may now be a little outdated in terms of Blitz's longer warm up times and the less finicky (read almost unabusable) merlin of versions past. Closing the rad may help decrease the time before you can apply power without stalling the engine BUT you will forget to open the rad before taking off if you are in any way a normal human being

I no longer fly sims at all so i dunno how much has changed recently but, unless you are Rocky Rock Solid with the ole pre flight check lists, my advice would be open it fully, wait a while whilst slowly increasing the throttle (say up to a free running 25%) and let the temps come up the rest of the way during a easy taxi once you can get the aircraft to move.

Depends how "real to life" you want it all TBH.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Thanks for the reply Boo

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    ... unless you are Rocky Rock Solid with the ole pre flight check lists, my advice would be open it fully, wait a while whilst slowly increasing the throttle (say up to a free running 25%) and let the temps come up the rest of the way during a easy taxi once you can get the aircraft to move...
    Well I wouldn't say I'm rock solid, but I do play GA sims like FSX and X-Plane 11 more than combat sims. For those I play with full realism enabled; so aircraft require cold starts. I do enjoy that aspect of the game and have done cold starts in both Falcon BMS and DCS, so I plan on doing the same for CloD Blitz. I do realize in the campaign I'm starting missions with a warmed up aircraft ready to fly, but I thought with full engine management enabled I should at least be checking to make sure I'm waiting on the runway with correct settings.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Thanks for the reply Boo

Well I wouldn't say I'm rock solid, but I do play GA sims like FSX and X-Plane 11 more than combat sims. For those I play with full realism enabled; so aircraft require cold starts. I do enjoy that aspect of the game and have done cold starts in both Falcon BMS and DCS, so I plan on doing the same for CloD Blitz. I do realize in the campaign I'm starting missions with a warmed up aircraft ready to fly, but I thought with full engine management enabled I should at least be checking to make sure I'm waiting on the runway with correct settings.

In that case id be looking at altering the rad to keep the temps in the 60-80 range athough i doubt the game will give you much time to play before the off. Either way fuly open when you roll.

I played Clod for about 2500 hours before i discovered the joys of rads v rpm and the absolute pleasure of managing the 2 position propped Mk1 spit 100oct and Hurri DH5-20.

The game has its knockers but I could loose hours just buggering about in both of these and they remain my favourite sim aircraft out of anything in BOS or DCS. Getting to grips with these (over the MK1A and rotol) also really helped me to get my head into the early 109s. Whilst the spit 1a and rotol hurris are great aircraft, they do give you much less to worry about in terms of over revs and efficient settings.

Enjoy!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"