Thread: Saving gun convergence/ ammo selection choice

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Saving gun convergence/ ammo selection choice

Is there a way to save/ copy my ammo selection and gun convergence from a plane to another plane? and from multiplayer server to multiplayer server?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Re: Saving gun convergence/ ammo selection choice

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    Is there a way to save/ copy my ammo selection and gun convergence from a plane to another plane? and from multiplayer server to multiplayer server?
    These settings are in the 'user.ini' file. Have a look and see if you feel comfortable editing them. Start by making a backup.

3. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

I think steam is not allowing any change;

I saved a few changes, and they didn't make any difference in user.ini

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

In steam, right click the game's title, select 'properties'. Under updates, un-check 'Steam Cloud Synchronization'.
    That should allow the changes to stick.

6. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    I think steam is not allowing any change;

I saved a few changes, and they didn't make any difference in user.ini
    Hello Jorge - it may not be steam but also the way you are saving.

The way the game works from the gui is not very intuative but it goes soemthing like having to be in multiplayer, creating and saving a new load out name, and then saving the indivudal gun to another new saved loadout name and starting the mission - or something like that - as iyou can tell i quickly decided that was a total PITA so have always edited the "user" file in the my docs/il2 ya de ya" file directly.

back it up and you cant go wrong - there is little you can destroy in this file that cannot be rebuilt anyway.

Just bear in mind that in the user conf file (open it using notepad):

Guns are numbered from 0 to 7 (RAF fighters) 0 being outboard port and 7 being out board starboard

All ranges are in meters regardless - Horizontal first Vertical last

Like guns the rounds are also numbers starting at 0 but follow the order seen in the selection panel in the gui. Use the snip function in windows to save them for reference.

you don't have to name belts or save all the detail twice but if you have a bomber belt and a GA loadout doing this does make it easier to switch from the game load out panel (provided you start the mission and are prepared to exit the game in some cases and re-start - hmm so perhaps not so easy but still something to consider)
    Last edited by BOO; Jul-20-2018 at 11:57.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Thanks a lot ! to both of you, I followed your advice:

and I created one directly in the game, which now I will copy paste to my other planes

[Aircraft.HurricaneMkI_100oct]
    conv _Gun03 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun06 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun01 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun07 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun02 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun05 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    conv _Gun04 Gun.Browning303MkII 137 137
    belt _Gun03 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    belt _Gun06 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    belt _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    belt _Gun01 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 11 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    belt _Gun07 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    belt _Gun02 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    belt _Gun05 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    belt _Gun04 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun03 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun06 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun01 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 11 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun07 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun02 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun05 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 9 9 9 9 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 9 9 9
    beltPreset "Hurri I 100" _Gun04 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 10 11 11 11 11 Residual 50 ResidueBelt 5 11 11 11
    weapons 1
    regiment BoB_RAF_F_235Sqn_Early

9. Likes BOO, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

well...…………..you aint gonna miss at that range!

Not sure what "5" is in terms of colour and its each to their own but, on occasion, ive been able to judge the ammo status of an opponent when ive seen their tracer colour change (so 2-3 more seconds of encouraging/enduring the hail and I can ease stuff up to make it easier for my wingman to get a shot on you without having to worry too much about being hit) Having tracer in all your guns is going to accentuate the effect perhaps. Of course not everyone has a reserve of 50 but im gambling here that most do and the ones that don't have 25.

I personally only tend to use tracer in my inner guns (most use tracer on the outer I think) as I have these set to a much longer distance than the outboards but that just me. What I do do (Do do?) is set the tracer to different lengths in the reserve. Starting with 2 closer together than the main belt and then a longer run of regular ammo (so 1 to 5 say in the main becomes 1 to 10 in the reserve). Im not always paying attention but usually I notice the 2 close together tracers and certainly notice the longer tracer pattern thereafter (I also try to count and take a running stock but...er...the results are variable shall we say)). I think its a much less obvious cue but then that's just my take.

Glad you got it sorted though.

S!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

11. Likes Jorge_S liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

thanks a lot for the advice!!
    I will check more about reducing tracers.

"5" is red, I have half guns with AP, half with incendiary, one tracer per 5 rounds and 50 residual

And as you can figure out by my convergence ranges, I am not that good as to worry too much about the color of tracers giving notice to my opponents. Simple fact: I seldom shoot in a human-vs-human dogfight; those times I return home in human-crowded multiplayer servers it is normally with enough bullets left. The scenario I most typically run out of ammo is against AI bomber formations.
    That all being said, I like your idea of changing the tracer pattern as "less obvious" than changing colors

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Reducing tracers is a good idea.

I've got them reduced to like 0.
    You do not need them.
    Get in close, really close.

14. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Reducing tracers is a good idea.

I've got them reduced to like 0.
    You do not need them.
    Get in close, really close.
    Some pilots really don't need tracers - after about 500 hours in the game I thought I was one - I wasn't. All the lack of tracers did waste more of my ammo in misses. That said my convergences are longer (any excuse). Up close and personal ranges probably don't need tracer (hell you probably don't even need to keep your eyes open ).

Buts that's just offensively. Tracer can have a couple of useful secondary purposes. If your wingman is under attack and you are still out of a decent firing solution (especially with a 150 yrd convergence), sending a couple of visible bursts in the direction of the attacker may just be enough to either distract them or get them to break off. Either way it announces that you are there and may snap the erstwhile bad man out of their rabid tunnel vision.

Additionally, if you are in the doo doo a quick burst may help nearby allies spot you quicker or place you in a pain train- even if they don't suddenly firing a burst at nothing may sow the seeds of doubt in your attackers mind about the possibility of them being set up. This could cause them to break or at the very least fly with a little more caution which in turn may be all you need to stay alive.

In BOS there is currently a whiny thread about the use of nav lights in MP - the basic moan is that they are too bright during the day (they are)and players are usng them un-historically to draw attention to themselves in order to get help/mask the aircraft outline at distance. With no lights currently in Clod, tracers could act the same way and have the same physological effect on players (if you see lights, bug out). Nothing is 100% but tracers do potentially give you a small defensive last ditch device in your arsenal.

But - as ever - each to their own.

BTW did i see a "DD" in front of your name Jorge? - good set of people those Dogz.

16. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post

BTW did i see a "DD" in front of your name Jorge? - good set of people those Dogz.
    Yes, they helped me quite a lot