Thread: Deadly bomber AI machineguns: BLITZ

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

Deadly bomber AI machineguns: BLITZ

Is it me or BLITZ has significantly improved the AI's bomber defensive machine gun accuracy?

I am playing "Cliff of Dover" campaign, and I can't complete the 3rd mission (against a lone HE-111)

I guess I will need to learn how to dive on bombers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Deadly bomber AI machineguns: BLITZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    Is it me or BLITZ has significantly improved the AI's bomber defensive machine gun accuracy?

I am playing "Cliff of Dover" campaign, and I can't complete the 3rd mission (against a lone HE-111)

I guess I will need to learn how to dive on bombers
    Yes, there were various bugs in the AI defensive systems fixed for TF 4.5.

Basically you need to avoid making dead six attacks.

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

I just got past that mission and yep it's a good challenge. It's worth noting that the HE-111 has 5 gunner positions, whereas the next best defended German aircraft -Junkers 88- has only 3. That's just 1 gunner position less than the B-17 Flying Fortress. I managed to take the Heinkel out in a diving pass where I damaged an engine; might have been the oil rad though, because it belched heavy, black smoke. Even during that I had some bullets spraying at me; I'm assuming from a waste gunner, but I was moving too fast to be certain.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-23-2018 at 01:59.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.06 MB

and it is even more challenging because he is really close to the ground/ sea; I guess I will need to learn how do diving passes

another question, are aircraft in BLITZ are easier to destroy than before? it used to take me a lot of bullets to down a bomber, hence my need to attack on his six,
    so now, either they are more vulnerable or maybe I am getting better at aiming

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_S View Post
    and it is even more challenging because he is really close to the ground/ sea; I guess I will need to learn how do diving passes
    Well I'd be dishonest if I said I got that HE-111 on my 1st attempt. I'm far from the best at such attacks, but there's a few things I've learned from other combat sims. I prefer a dive attack because by the time you're closing on firing range you usually have a high enough speed that it's hard for the AI to hit you. It took me some time to get comfortable with it though, because I find I have to come far back on the throttle when starting to loose some speed, otherwise in the dive my plane gains so much speed that it goes into compression and I can't pull out before the ground rushes up to give me the kiss of death. That initial rapid decrease in speed is uncomfortable, but once diving I find my plane rapidly gains it back. In this game, because I don't have a Track IR and padlocks don't work, I often do a cuban 8 as I throttle back so I can get a clear look at the target through the top of my canopy while momentarily inverted. I find for me the key is initially having the target behind me, so I have time to maneuver for a front-side angled attack from above before high speed makes that impossible.

There's also the possibility from attacking from below in that mission because the Hurri is one of the best climbers in the game. The problem I have with climbing attacks on aircraft with ventral gunners though, is that they're usually situated on the lowest point on the fuselage and thus have a much less restricted view and firing arc to their target. As well, the speed in a climbing attack is no where near that of a dive, so a better chance that gunners going to land a hit on you. A feature about the HE-111, is that the dorsal gunner has a half-domed canopy around them that gets retracted back when they're ready to fire. That should make them vulnerable to wounding shots while in that position; easier said than done though as they're a damn small target at high speed. On the other hand, because of that retracting canopy it seems they may have one of the least restricted firing arcs of any German aircraft in the game. Which is the main reason I'd never consider making an attack on 111 from their 6th.