Thread: Losing Rudder Pedals & Throttle Quadrant Mappings; can't Load them Back via INI file?

Novice Pilot
    British California aka British Columbia, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Losing Rudder Pedals & Throttle Quadrant Mappings; can't Load them Back via INI file?

Sometimes when I start ClOD Blitz my Ch Pro Pedals and Saitek Throttle Quandrant vanish from the axis and button mappings. Even worse, if I load my saved INI file for my controls it doesn't load the mappings back -can see the correct mappings are there under [Hotkey pilotMove] when I view it in Notepad. I then have no recourse but to remap the ruder pedals, toe brakes and 3 throttle axis. Since I only have 4 buttons mapped from my throttle quadrant it's not too difficult to remap, but an annoyance none the less. Meanwhile, my Logitech Extreme 3D stick always remains correctly mapped for the 3 axis and 12 buttons I'm using with it. This is definitely weird, as I don't have this happen in any other flight simulation games.

A few things that might have some impact.

• I'm running Windows 7 64 Ultimate and my Logitech stick is set as the preferred device.
    • I previously had IL-2 CloD 4.312 installed and I noticed that under "C:\Users\me\My Documents\1C SoftClub" that I had two il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover subfolders. One was named "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover", while the other was named "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD". Since my most recently saved control INI files were in the "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" file, I cut & pasted the "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD" to another drive and location.
    • My user account is an Administrator account and has Full Control security permissions for the "1C SoftClub" folder, all sub-folders and all of the INI files.
    • The userConf.INI file in the "C:\Users\me\1C SoftClub\My Documents\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folder doesn't have any of my axis mappings written under the [Hotkey pilotMove] header. I was under the impression they were stored there, but apparently (at least with my installation) not. The confUser.INI file in my "Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" installation folder, also doesn't have any listings under the [Hotkey pilotMove] header. So I'm curious as to whether that's correct or an error?

Since I cut & paste the "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD" folder to another driver, I have gone back into axis settings and cleared and reset one of my axis and then clicked [Apply]. However, the axis settings are still not correctly listed in either of the 2 userConf.INI files, so I'm guessing they must be written somewhere else, but where?

If any one can give me any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how to resolve it, I'd really appreciate any comments.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-29-2018 at 14:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Re: Losing Rudder Pedals & Throttle Quadrant Mappings; can't Load them Back via INI f

This was happening to me a little while ago, only it was my joystick bindings. Had to remap them every time I went into the game as they had gone. Joystick only as rudder and throttle bindings remained without issue.went on and on like this for 2 weeks.

In the end it was a connection between plugs in the joystick handle entension. The plug was seated properly. Not sure if that’s your cause but worth double checking your connections are firm. If your rudder and throttle “meet” somewhere, that would be my first port of call.

Good luck
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Re: Losing Rudder Pedals & Throttle Quadrant Mappings; can't Load them Back via INI f

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    In the end it was a connection between plugs in the joystick handle entension. The plug was seated properly. Not sure if that’s your cause but worth double checking your connections are firm. If your rudder and throttle “meet” somewhere, that would be my first port of call.

Good luck
    Oh darn, I was thinking it might end up be something convoluted and hardware related like yet. I have all my HOTAS devices individually connected to a powered USB 3.0 HUB; albeit a decent quality one. Things are a bit complicated by my motherboard having that early, craptastic Eltron USB 3 chipset, which caused me some trial & error finding a reliable 3.0 port to support the HUB. That said, the 3 USB 2.0 devices (Joystick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant) and single legacy USB 1.1 gaming keypad I have connected to it, are always present under Windows > "Devices & Printers" and are always calibrated correctly. That's even true if I power the HUB off and back on, which is convenient because my gaming rig is also the platform for my kids and I to game on our HDTV. We have some console-style games that use the 360 wireless receiver/controller, which flop when more than 1 USB gaming device is connected. So being able to power the HUB off and have the 360 receiver/controller (on it's own USB 2.0 port) as the solely connected USB device is real handy and necessary. Both my USB Logitech keyboard and Gaming Mouse have their own USB 2.0 port connections, as they become intermittent when connected to that HUB; mouse becomes down right flakey.

If this is related to connectivity, the one variable I introduced this week was a TrackIR 5 which I also connected to the 3.0 HUB. It's working fine, but I did get a couple of hangs with the supporting TrackIR and TIR Mouse software. I know it's not recommended connecting one via USB 3.0 to any motherboard with an Eltron chipset, so this week I'm going to go purchase a USB extension so that it can have its own, separate USB 2.0 port. Maybe that will help, but I should mention that this did occur once earlier, before I had the TrackIR. In both cases, my HOTAS devices were enumerated under Devices & Printers and were correctly calibrated.

Getting back to one of my earlier questions; where does ClOD write its HOTAS configuration settings to? I ask again, because I've searched through all my INI files and anything config related and the only axis settings I've been able to find are in my own INI save file.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-29-2018 at 18:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Getting back to one of my earlier questions; where does ClOD write its HOTAS configuration settings to?
    Since what you change in axes/buttons assignment is not saved in .INI in"C:\Users\me\My Documents\1C SoftClub" neither "Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folders, probably you have STEAM Cloud enabled that save the .INI inside some STEAM folder or in their "cloud".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-29-2018 at 20:18.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Since what you change in axes/buttons assignment is not saved in .INI in"C:\Users\me\My Documents\1C SoftClub" neither "Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" folders, probably you have STEAM Cloud enabled that save the .INI inside some STEAM folder or in their "cloud".
    Ah OK, I was wondering about that. Unfortunately being someone who plays ClOD offline for single play, I didn't pay attention to whether I was connected to the Internet those 2 times I lost my mappings. I should always be connected, but occasionally my wifi router is intermittent - not often, but it happens. Still though, I have always retained my joystick button assignments and axis mappings; just not my rudder pedals and throttle quadrant. But that would make sense that if I briefly lose connection while the cloud sync/read is occurring that I might only get a partial mapping.

If I temporarily disable cloud-sync and [Apply] my controller settings, will that cause the settings to be written to my userConf.INI file?

[Edit] Nevermind. I disabled Cloud Sync and after starting ClOD noticed that I had no button or axis mappings in Control Settings. So I loaded my saved control INI and then did an [Apply]. There's now correct button and axis mappings in my userConf.INI file that located in my 1C SoftClub folder.
    Last edited by kronovan; Jul-29-2018 at 20:50.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Easy way to recover lost HOTAS setup after Windows 10 patches/crashes, updates, etc...

Good luck!
    ========================================
    HOTAS lost profile Blitz won't recognize
    =======================================
    Get in the game and assess the new IDs for HOTAS and Rudder.
    You do this by prettending you wanna redo the mapping (for both if u have separate hardware HOTAS/Rudders) in Options/Aircraft/AXES:

Make note of both HOTAS and Rudder/Pedals

Mine are like these:

X52_H.O.T.A.S.-61EAB111+Key22=landingflaps_u
    Saitek_Pro_Flight_Rudder_Pedals-608DF333+AXE_RZ=1rudder

The numbers 61EAB111 and 608DF333 are the ones Windows 10 changes at restarts or for other reasons I don't know.

Those are the ones u write down.

Then go in the Blitz folder:
    Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover and look for your saved profile from Options/Aircraft/AXES/Save as:

Mine is called blitz1 ...therefore there is blitz1.ini ..yours maybe different.

Edit the file and change appropriately old numbers with new ones and save ...Voila!

Your mapped again like before and your HOTAS working again.
    ===========================================

7. Likes ATAG_Heggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Another reason people can lose their joystick settings is due to Windows 10 and the power settings for the joystick/pedals.

Windows 10 will turn off the power to these peripherals "...to save power."

As a result, all the joystick programming is lost.

You can solve this 'helpful' Windows 10 feature by going into the Device Manager and unchecking the box to allow this power saving.

Process:

- Right click on the windows logo at the bottom of your page, select 'Device Manager'.

- Open 'Human Interface Devices'

- Right click on each device... select 'Properties'

- Select the 'Power Management' tab

- Uncheck the box which allows Windows to turn off the device to save power

Hopefully this will solve the issue with losing joystick/controller programming.

9. Likes Baffin, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.56 GB

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Sometimes when I start ClOD Blitz my Ch Pro Pedals and Saitek Throttle Quandrant vanish from the axis and button mappings. Even worse, if I load my saved INI file for my controls it doesn't load the mappings back -can see the correct mappings are there under [Hotkey pilotMove] when I view it in Notepad. I then have no recourse but to remap the ruder pedals, toe brakes and 3 throttle axis. Since I only have 4 buttons mapped from my throttle quadrant it's not too difficult to remap, but an annoyance none the less. Meanwhile, my Logitech Extreme 3D stick always remains correctly mapped for the 3 axis and 12 buttons I'm using with it. This is definitely weird, as I don't have this happen in any other flight simulation games.
    In Cliffs i started using Devrecorder, no more resets on Joystick IDs, a real nasty Windows 10 habit, maybe applies to Windows 7 an 8 too?.

With Il2 Great Battles i started using TARGET, as i use Thrustmaster hardware. You can instead use Devrecorder there too with other hardware.

Since I cut & paste the "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD" folder to another driver, I have gone back into axis settings and cleared and reset one of my axis and then clicked [Apply]. However, the axis settings are still not correctly listed in either of the 2 userConf.INI files, so I'm guessing they must be written somewhere else, but where?

If any one can give me any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how to resolve it, I'd really appreciate any comments.
    The edits must be for CloDB done to confUser.ini, in the Documents and settings folder. The namesake one in the game files folder (where Launcher.exe resides) must be left alone as i have been told. The naming of your AXIS hardware there must be exact, f.i. Joystick#2 must be (re) named exactly to Joystick - HOTAS warthog if you use one. You'll find the correct names in Windows Games Panel, or the devicelister.exe tool coming with Devrecorder 1.02 J
    Last edited by jackd; Jul-31-2019 at 23:16.

11. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 3.jg51_tepes View Post

......X52_H.O.T.A.S.-61EAB111+Key22=landingflaps_u
    Saitek_Pro_Flight_Rudder_Pedals-608DF333+AXE_RZ=1rudder

Edit the file and change appropriately old numbers with new ones and save ...Voila!
    For change use Notepad++ Find and Replace functions, will take just a minute for make changes.

BTW - When editing .ini files don't use Wordpad, Word or similar.