Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Hello again everybody. I can't believe it has been a month since my last update. Time is certainly flying by. Sadly we have lost two more of our Battle of Britain veterans since I last wrote. Wg Cdr Tom Neil passed just days before his 98th birthday, followed shortly afterwards by Sqd Ldr Geoffrey Wellum. We also lost the ever-glamorous Mary Ellis, a trail blazer for female aviators and an original member of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), responsible for delivering fighter and bomber aircraft from the factories to the front line. She was 101.

A big highlight for those in the UK was the Duxford Flying Legends event - and it was great to be there to meet up with friends and enjoy the sights and sounds of so many warbirds gracing the sky. Unusually for the UK we had some glorious weather as well! I'm looking forward to next year's event already!

So for this update let me first start off by thanking you all for your supportive messages - they are all very much appreciated. I'll first provide some details of progress over the last month and then I'll try to answer a few of the questions I have seen being raised across various forums.

Team
    We welcome 69th_Zeb to the team. Zeb is an experienced 3D modeller who's day job is in the aviation industry. In his opening post he joked that he would look forward to polishing fig trees and sandbags. In reality he is hard at work on building assets for the new map.

Schedule
    As was eluded to in my last post, there is an internal schedule the team are working towards but we cannot forecast release dates. Given the progress made, there remains confidence that everything remains on track. It is fair to say that there are challenges in a couple of areas but there is some contingency so in this regard, things are no different to any other task based project.

Progress
    Map
    The Team has continued to work on the Map Editor in order to get it into a stable development environment. This has not been without problems but it is good to report that the bugs are being fixed and it has been possible to use it to start fixing game map issues. What this means is that the map development process is simplified and no longer requires manual coding, e.g. it will improve the speed of map creation and development.

In addition, a huge amount of work has been undertaken to create desert versions of all the ground vehicles and objects. This work maybe doesn't get the credit it deserves but take a look in the FMB at the amount of objects there are and you start to get a feel for the effort that is needed to change the textures and re-colour everything. Here are just a few pictures of some of the objects:

Aircraft
    - CR-42 cockpit import and animation continues and the FM is being refined.
    - Bf-108 modelling complete and ready for import.
    - Bf-109F-1,2 & 4 import (with placeholder cockpit and textures) is complete and the FMs are being refined.
    - Spitfire IIa import is complete. This contains the enlarged oil cooler on the left wing and replaces the old MkIIa model.
    - Spitfire IIb modelling complete and ready for import.
    - Spitfire VA modelling complete and ready for import.
    - Spitfire VB modelling complete and ready for import.
    - Hurricane IIA modelling complete and ready for import.
    - Hurricane IIB modelling (including tropical and fighter bomber) complete and ready for import.
    - Hurricane IIC modelling (including tropical and fighter bomber) complete and ready for import.
    - Martlet III modelling complete and ready for import.

Notable Fixes
    - Beaufighter cockpits glass problems in fog now fixed.
    - Blenheim MkIV Late gunner position now load faster in game.
    - Bug #759: Fiat BR-20 engine control levers numbering texture has the "7" and "6" reversed.
    - Bug #943: Querqueville airfield aligned incorrectly.

So now on with a few of your questions (forgive me for paraphrasing):

Q. What is happening with fixes for the Ju88A-1 aircraft systems and controls - will anything be fixed for v5.0?
    A. At this time we cannot say what will or won't be fixed. As reported last month, we have increased the number of coders in the team and this creates opportunities to address certain issues. We will of course be providing a full list of bugs fixed with the release and expect to continue to address issues in patches.

Q. What is happening with Virtual Reality implementation?
    A. Although some trials have been done in this area to prove the concept, the team recognise that it is not an insignificant amount of work to implement and that therefore, attempting to do it now would only delay the release of v5.0 - which nobody wants. For this reason, it has been decided to defer VR until a v5.X release, e.g. post v5.0.

Q. Do you have the option to upload any of your videos in 2K/4K resolution?
    A. Sorry but not at this time. I often use 4K for capture so that I have better framing options when editing. If I had a new rig then I might consider it.

Q. Will anything be done about the time it takes to get a Beaufighter airborne (about 4.5 mins)?
    A. The engine cooling/overheat modelling for all aircraft will be revised for TF 5.0.

Q. Can the excessive movement of the Spit and Hurri on the ground whilst taxying be rectified?
    A. We continue to revise and edit the FMs of all aircraft all the way up to the point of release. The environment weather effects also have a part to play. At the moment though our focus is on completing 3D modelling and importing.

Q. Will a map tool or SDK be available for the community? How can the community be more involved?
    A. We love to get your feedback (good and bad) because we are committed to making the best simulation we can - so we do want community involvement as much as possible. Expanding the Map Creation Team to allow the map tool to be used for multiple map builds simultaneously is certainly something we will consider post the v5.0 release. Individuals and groups who are interested will be able to approach us at that point. For now we would encourage bugs and feature requests to be made via the BugTracker tool. Also, I will try to answer questions I see in the forums within each monthly update.
    Note: One area we are working on is new voice recordings. As such we are looking for French nationals who would be interested in lending their voices to the game. See this post for more information and how to get involved:
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...587#post317587

Q. When will it be ready?
    A. Unfortunately we just cannot provide a forecast date because we're are a bunch of guys working in our spare time and real life often gets in the way of us doing the stuff we're passionate about. Hopefully with these updates you can start to draw your own conclusions regarding the progress of the project. Work has never stopped.

Q. In the pictures of the Bf109-F there were shell cases being ejected during gun firing. I thought the engine mounted guns did not eject cartridges so what is that about?
    A. This is an integration bug. The MG-151/15mm and MG-151/20mm weapons mounted in the V of the engine did not eject cartridges outside of the aircraft like the MG/FF's on the wings of the 109E. This was because the cartridges could get sucked into the radiator intake and damage it, or into the intercooler. Right now there is an animation below the 109F nose when the gun is fired showing ejected shell casings. This will be resolved as part of the ongoing import work.

Well I think that is enough for now. I will leave you with this short video which shows off the team’s early work with the import of the beautiful Bf109F-2. Do remember that this features a placeholder cockpit and textures. The reason for this placeholder is that we decided to import an early version of the 109F cockpit in order to provide some of our new coders with import work, and also to give the FM/DM modelers a chance to get started early with a flying model of the 109F. It has the added advantage of giving the skin makers the opportunity to do their work.

This early cockpit version has very much lower resolution textures than we will use in the production release and some of the elements are also missing. Please bear this in mind when watching the video. What people will get in the release version is a cockpit completed to the standards they see in the aircraft currently in 'Blitz'.

So why are we showing it then? Well we thought you would be happy to see some progress with one of the most requested types... with the import process underway other aircraft will also be out shortly... these will have completed cockpits. Hopefully it will give you a flavour of the work being done by the team and the commitment that we all have to provide the very best detailed and faithful re-produced products we can.

For and on behalf of Team Fusion Simulations,

Bonkin.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Aug-06-2018 at 21:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: TFS Developer Update – August 2018

Whoa! Are those volumetric clouds?

Nice stuff Bonkin, another sterling update

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Zeb is a good catch.

And all that other stuff is good too!

I'm still saving my moneycoins for VR and it will take me ages to get enough together.

Cheers Bonkin. Great update!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Nice update Bonkin.

Thank you.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

I just checked the map area and find a image (the video doesn't work.) with a size a bit larger than the Channel map. There is a size limit for the maps? A little east you have Alexandria and the Mediterranean Fleet, which was bombed. Besides it would be cool to implement the city's camouflage (that apply for Britain also, operation Starfish began at January 1940.) To the west you have Tripoli that was the most important supply port for the axis. I think naval operations will be a little limited.

I would love to see bigger maps that have a navigation challenge. Maybe at the future Crete could be included as a axis operational base, that way you don't need to include all of Greece.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Werwolf View Post
    I just checked the map area and find a image (the video doesn't work.) with a size a bit larger than the Channel map. There is a size limit for the maps? A little east you have Alexandria and the Mediterranean Fleet, which was bombed. Besides it would be cool to implement the city's camouflage (that apply for Britain also, operation Starfish began at January 1940.) To the west you have Tripoli that was the most important supply port for the axis. I think naval operations will be a little limited.

I would love to see bigger maps that have a navigation challenge. Maybe at the future Crete could be included as a axis operational base, that way you don't need to include all of Greece.

Thanks.
    There is a size limit for maps.

The map we are creating for the TF 5.0 "Tobruk" is based around the November 1940 to May 1942 period and covers the major areas where combat occurred.

It is not possible to create a map which stretches from Alexandria to Tripoli.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Great update....Thanks for all your work fellas...

Thanks Bonks...Thanks Buzz...

~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Looking good guys . Thanks for all your hard work fellas .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Great update Bonkin! Looks like quite a few aircraft are ready for importing! Good news! Thanks for all the hard work TFS!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    491.75 MB

Excellent work guys

"A chap could bend a Spitfire with one finger" Wing Commander Tom Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Cool bugtracker update today...

https://www.tfbt.nuvturais.de/issues/749#change-3503

Updated by TF_Spiritus_Mortem about 5 hours ago

Status changed from New to In Progress
    Target version deleted (4.312)

An over pressure valve for pressurized radiators has been modeled, meaning that in an overheat situation the radiator will vent instead of being perforated.

A vapor trail is generated and the amount of liquid vented depends on the rpm of the engine.

When the engine temperature returns to normal values, the valve stops venting.

IN TESTING.
    Updated by TF_xoriguer about 3 hours ago

Assignee set to TF_xoriguer

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Warning: If players continue to overheat their engines... the vent valve will remain open till all the reserve coolant is gone and the engine will then overheat and destroy itself.

Only if the player reduces his engine heat back down to normal will the vent valve close and the coolant loss stop.

This is not a 'get out of jail free' card for those who want to run their engines hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    There is a size limit for maps.

The map we are creating for the TF 5.0 "Tobruk" is based around the November 1940 to May 1942 period and covers the major areas where combat occurred.

It is not possible to create a map which stretches from Alexandria to Tripoli.
    Thanks Buzz,

So as I suspected it there is a size limit, guest bombers are not enough popular to implement larger maps. I like to fly historic missions and hope some day TF could extend the maps. Keep the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    If that really works how it should, it would be an amazing upgrade! Props to TF for this fix!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    410.5 KB

Excellent work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Warning: If players continue to overheat their engines... the vent valve will remain open till all the reserve coolant is gone and the engine will then overheat and destroy itself.

Only if the player reduces his engine heat back down to normal will the vent valve close and the coolant loss stop.

This is not a 'get out of jail free' card for those who want to run their engines hot.
    Issue with post, can only hit 'like' once for some reason.

Will this mean that running with reduced levels of coolant will affect how well the heat transfers between engine to radiator?

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

17. Likes Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    Issue with post, can only hit 'like' once for some reason.

Will this mean that running with reduced levels of coolant will affect how well the heat transfers between engine to radiator?
    No, unlike most cars which only have a very small reserve outside of the radiator, engine block and coolant lines, most WWII aircraft had a substantial reserve beyond what was necessary to fill the rad/block/lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Can hardly wait!! Oh I knew I've seen this camouflage pattern before. It's not an exact max but almost. About ten years ago. One of my saved pictures from Oleg's canceled Storm of War Eastern Front project. I always wondered how it would have turned out although I myself prefer North Africa much more.

Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Aug-09-2018 at 17:06.

20. Likes Bussard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Could it be implemented that loss of coolant would make your engine run a little hotter a little more after every time the valve is blown? (and when too much coolant is gone, you simply overheat until engine destruction)
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Nightdare View Post
    Could it be implemented that loss of coolant would make your engine run a little hotter a little more after every time the valve is blown? (and when too much coolant is gone, you simply overheat until engine destruction)
    As long as there is additional coolant left in the overflow tank there is no effect on the systems ability to cool the engine... as long as the temps are normal.

Only when the leak starts to deplete the essential quantity of fluids which are in the rad/engine core/lines does the system start to lose efficiency... that is already modeled in the game.

Players should be aware though that when they run their engine coolant hot there can be penalties.

The oil temperature will rise if the coolant temp is high, and there is nothing which allows the oil system to compensate for that.

And when the oil temp is high, then immediately the chances of a failure to the engine or propellor components starts to be calculated.

So you might not be out of coolant, you might still have reserve in your coolant overflow tank, but if your oil temps are high, then you are rolling the dice.... the chances of a mechanical failure are being calculated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Pilots in 109s had the option to close the right or left radiator flap manually with a cable down at the right and left leg. Could this ever be an option? It's getting pretty greedy though

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    Pilots in 109s had the option to close the right or left radiator flap manually with a cable down at the right and left leg. Could this ever be an option? It's getting pretty greedy though
    '
    109F's will have option to manual or auto rads.

They will also be able to shut off one rad completely if there is a leak in that rad... this will keep the fluid in the other rad contained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Always amazed at Bonkin's video skills. Some of those shots are way better than any I've done and I consider myself a fairly competent CloD filmmaker.

Also glad to see new types coming into the game. I just want to see some of the new map and the Spit V now!

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

'
    109F's will have option to manual or auto rads.

They will also be able to shut off one rad completely if there is a leak in that rad... this will keep the fluid in the other rad contained.
    This is great to hear.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Question regarding map size limit:

Is it software technical impossible to have bigger maps, or would that it be possible to increase the size limit? And what would be necessary (as in how big of a change would it be) to get that to work it if is possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperus View Post
    Question regarding map size limit:

Is it software technical impossible to have bigger maps, or would that it be possible to increase the size limit? And what would be necessary (as in how big of a change would it be) to get that to work it if is possible?
    Anything is possible... but it requires time and that is something we don't have a lot of.

The current map size in CoD is large compared to any other game out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.36 MB

Anything is possible... but it requires time and that is something we don't have a lot of.

The current map size in CoD is large compared to any other game out there.

I hate to beat a dead horse so the issue is file size, poly, and/or actual distance in game? I recall back in the day playing Operation Flashpoint, that one modder made a map of the three huge islands, and combined them, then globally scaled all objects to a 1/4 of their size to get around a similar limitation. This was due to the communities desire to use the jets. Regardless, thank you for all the hard work!

[WHat about nose art?]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

There is a lot of space here

32. Likes ATAG_Kulea, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Snapper, deep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    There is a lot of space here

There is more space at the top and bottom of the actual map than shown in the pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

Post Re: TFS Developer Update – August 2018

More excellent work chaps! Absolutely loving that list of "ready to export," aircraft!!!
    109F is not looking too shabby either, will look forward to trying all these new aircraft out for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast