Thread: Post Scriptum - 'Arnhem 1944' by Martin Middlebrook

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Post Scriptum - 'Arnhem 1944' by Martin Middlebrook

Anyone interested in a detailed account of the Battle of Arnhem (1st Para Division) should have a look at this book.

ARNHEM-1944-THE-AIRBORNE-BATTLE-MARTIN-MIDDLEBROOK-HARDBACK.jpg

Reading the book at the moment and can highly recommend it. There are newer printings than the one shown which is first edition hardback from 1994.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Re: Post Scriptum - 'Arnhem 1944' by Martin Middlebrook

Thanks Vamps, I'll definitely check that out, Martin Middlebrook is an excellent writer, his book on the first day of the Somme is very good too.

I still love A Bridge Too Far, the first proper military history book I read after being taken to Arnhem by my Dad as a 10 year old. Not sure if its still considered accurate, but a cracking read nonetheless.

3. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Middlebrook book are focused on the battle in Arnhem and Oosterbeek, A Bridge to Far in the whole Market Garden operation.

Since in all battle are the guys in the other side of hill, a good reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Snows-S.../dp/1885119313
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRdWCyHpG8

5. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Thanks Sokol, just bought that one too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Thanks for this, Vamps. Like Matt, I think Middlebrook is a brilliant author who brings awesome research to all his work. I was fascinated (and horrified in equal measure) by his riveting accounts of the big RAF bomber campaigns: Nuremburg, Hamburg, Peenamunde, Scweinfurt/Regansburg and, of course, the 'Big City!'

I have read his account of the first day of the Somme (I may have told you my Grandfather went over the top on July 1st, 1916 with the East Surreys....and survived! I have his yataghan bayonet to this day) which was excellent but I didn't know he'd written about Arnhem. Another one for the shopping basket, I think! Salute!

8. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

Thanks, Vamps

I've never read anything by this author. But Middlebrook's 'Arnhem' seems to be a very good read, based on the high opinion held by some of you for his writing style.

I know Marlow and Monkeynut rate him highly after reading his 'The First Day on the Somme'.

@1lokos' 'It Never Snows in September' by Robert K. Kershaw looks as though it will complement Middlebrook's 'Arnhem' very nicely. It's going on my next shopping list.

Just ordered 'Arnhem' and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Last edited by ATAG_Scones; Aug-09-2018 at 15:37.

10. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Just wanted to say, great recommendations!

I really enjoyed 'Arnhem 1944' and 'It Never Snows in September', that book led me to John Frost's autobiography 'A Drop Too Many', as I was interested in his perspective of the battle for the road bridge. I started reading the Arnhem chapters, then went back to the beginning.

Frost's account of the Bruneval raid in 1942 really piqued my interest, so I ordered 'The Bruneval Raid' by George Millar and 'Night Raid' by Taylor Downing, as well as an Osprey book on the action that hasn't arrived yet. All so far have been excellent reads. Six books from one reccommendation, top stuff!

I've not even looked at the references for 2 Para in the North African and Sicily campaigns yet, should keep me in reading material till Christmas!
    Last edited by ATAG_Monkeynut; Aug-31-2018 at 19:15.

12. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Rather randomly, given the amount I've been reading about it recently, I've got to go to Arnhem next week for work.

I have very vague memories of visiting the museum in Oosterbeek? in 1987. Looking at my work schedule I'll be in Velp for an hour and then hopefully have the afternoon to myself. Anyone been there recently (ie less than 30 years ago) that can recommend sites for a quick tour?

14. Likes 69th_Zeb, ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

I will be interested to hear what you manage to see during your visit mate.

It was early 1990s when I got the chance to visit Arnhem, whilst on leave, when stationed in Germany with the RAF. It was only a quick look around for me then.

The museum at the Hartenstien Hotel is a must of course. I must have spent a couple of hours there but there is so much stuff to take in I could have spent a few days just in there. Haha!

I did try to follow the route taken by 2 para to the bridge and back then there were various info signs and markers along the way.

The CWG Cemetery is also a place to visit if you have the time. As with with all such places very sobering and sad but worth it all the same.

Let us know how you get on.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

16. Likes ATAG_Septic, ATAG_Monkeynut liked this post