Thread: Taking pretty screen shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Taking pretty screen shots

I am interested in taking some artistic screen shots of the planes in ClOD and wondered if this game has a replay mode? It would be really helpful if it is possible to fly a mission then rewatch it afterwards from different camera angles to find the best shot.

Also does anyone have any tips on how best to capture a good screen shot?
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-14-2018 at 17:19.

2. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Taking pretty screen shots

The quick answer is “yes”. You can make a track at any time, the .trk files created are very small. Later, you can use the Cliffs of Dover program to refly your mission, and you can use a variety of external views while recording it and/or take screenshots. I have given you access to the ATAG Track Editor so that any trk files you made while flying on our server can be rendered to give you all the outside views (that you cannot access when actually flying on the server).

Good luck!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

That's great news. Thanks.

My new computer arrived this morning so once all of the updates and software are installed I will buy ClOD and take her for a spin. Unfortunately work and life responsibilities mean it may be the weekend before I get a chance to fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Good stuff!

I think you’re really going to enjoy the immersion. The learning curve can be a bit steep at first, but that’s all part of the fun. My childhood hero was (and still is) kiwi Alan Deere, a BOB Spit pilot who wrote “Nine Lives” - a great read. Even after many hours of flying Clod, I AM Pilot Officer Deere firing up my Spit, taxiing out, and hurtling down the airfield to intercept Jerry.

Advice: don’t spend too much time in Single Player if you want to try multiplayer on the ATAG Server. Just get yourself sorted out on the controls, then dive in online. Lots of us on TeamSpeak will be glad to fly on your wing and shoot down dozens of 9./JG52 and JG4 109 opponents with you on each mission.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Sounds like fun in multiplayer. I will dig out my PC microphone this weekend too (last time I used that was for Team Fortress 2 back in 2010).

8. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    and shoot down dozens of 9./JG52 and JG4 109 opponents with you on each mission.

...so the multiverse is a reality!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    ...so the multiverse is a reality!!
    I was wondering how long I’d get away with that. Not long! LOL

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Good stuff!

Lots of us on TeamSpeak will be glad to fly on your wing and shoot down dozens of 9./JG52 and JG4 109 opponents with you on each mission.

I'll wear my best suit for that occasion
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
    I am interested in taking some artistic screen shots of the planes in ClOD and wondered if this game has a replay mode? It would be really helpful if it is possible to fly a mission then rewatch it afterwards from different camera angles to find the best shot.

Also does anyone have any tips on how best to capture a good screen shot?

One thing though, don't use custom skins on the aircraft, only use default if you are going to take screenshots from replays. Currently (well for the last 6-years) there is a bug in the game that means if you use a custom skin, when you replay it in a track, the default markings of the country you flew the aircraft for are overlaid on top of any custom skin, so ruining your screengrab.

Hopefully TF will one day look at this....one day!
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

13. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    One thing though, don't use custom skins on the aircraft, only use default if you are going to take screenshots from replays. Currently (well for the last 6-years) there is a bug in the game that means if you use a custom skin, when you replay it in a track, the default markings of the country you flew the aircraft for are overlaid on top of any custom skin, so ruining your screengrab.

Hopefully TF will one day look at this....one day!
    I will bare that in mind. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

When taking screen shots how do you turn of the information HUD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Hi, Foyle.

I don't think you can, unless you remove all info windows. You would have to record video, then capture a shot in there.

Cheers

17. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Deleted post.
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-26-2018 at 07:47. Reason: I have asked the question elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

As DRock has already said, I don't think you can turn off the info windows during play, but you can get screenshots without the info windows by playing back your trk files.

Just check the 'Hide interface' checkbox before playing back your track.

You can also pause the action and move the view to capture the best angle before taking your screenshot this way

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

20. Likes Foyle liked this post