Thread: Attempting to play CLOD for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Attempting to play CLOD for the first time.

So I've finally got my new computer setup and CLOD installed. First impressions are good. Nice graphics, it is running smoothly and even using just the keyboard to fly if feels right. I can tell straight away that I will enjoy this!

The first issue so far though is I can not get the jostick(s) to work. I have an old Saitek ST290 Pro joystick and an Xbox controller for PC but neither of them do anything in the game. I will probably buy a new joystick and pedals soon but for now I was hoping to at least be able to get the Xbox controller to work.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-19-2018 at 10:53.

2. Likes \Hawk/, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Attempting to play CLOD for the first time.

You need assign your joystick in Controls > Axes and Keys (buttons) tabs. After hit APPLY and start some Quick Mission for test.

4. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

That has worked perfectly. Thank you. There is a 'Change' button at the bottom left of the screen which I had missed the first time round.

I have never liked big joysticks so I am only using the Saitek ST290 to control the throttle. The ailerons and elevator are controlled using the Xbox gamepad left thumbstick and the the rudder is controlled with the analogue shoulder buttons.

There does not seem to be any option for moving the camera around (ie the pilots head). I would like to be able to look around using the right thumb stick if possible. Is there a way to set this?
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-20-2018 at 04:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
    That has worked perfectly. Thank you. There is a 'Change' button at the bottom left of the screen which I had missed the first time round.

I have never liked big joysticks so I am only using the Saitek ST290 to control the throttle. The ailerons and elevator are controlled using the Xbox gamepad left thumbstick and the the rudder is controlled with the analogue shoulder buttons.

There does not seem to be any option for moving the camera around (ie the pilots head). I would like to be able to look around using the left thumb stick if possible. Is there a way to set this?
    Hey Foyle

I appreciate you might not like big joysticks... but ultimately the longer throw of handle will give you finer control over control inputs and the flight of your aircraft than the gamepad. This is a key element when you are in a down and dirty knife fight. You also can control both elevator and ailerons with one hand. (if your joystick has a twist rudder, then you can control all three axes) It may take some time for you to get familiar with using the joystick, but everyone who is a serious flight simmer goes this route eventually.

Your mouse is the best option to move the view around if you do not have a HAT switch for the views. But if you are having to use one hand for the mouse, then you won't be able to operate your rudder from your other input device.

As a better overall solution, especially if you are on a budget, you could go with one of the free head tracking programs which are out there. If you do a search on this board you will find suggestions on programs and on how to set those up. Getting a head tracker working will allow you to use both hands for controlling the aircraft. If you have the money, then TRACKIR, a pay to play program, is the way to go.

Flight Simming is not an easy 'in', the learning curve is a steep one, but it is also extremely rewarding once you gain a level of expertise.

7. Likes Foyle, \Hawk/, ATAG_Snapper, MrSteven liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

The TrackIR is something that I was already considering getting. Which model is the one to go for and how much should it cost? I don't mind buying new or second hand.

It looks like the TrackIR 5 is the newest version. Is there much difference between this and the older models?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The TrackIR is something that I was already considering getting. Which model is the one to go for and how much should it cost? I don't mind buying new or second hand.

It looks like the TrackIR 5 is the newest version. Is there much difference between this and the older models?
    Yes, there is a difference between the older and newer versions... 5 is better.

But you might want to try out one of the free headtracking programs first to see if you like it.

Do you have an eight way HAT switch on your joystick? If you do, then you could use it for the views... program SNAP views.

10. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Yes the joystick has a hat switch but I do much prefer a gamepad though. In FSX when looking around the 360 degree analogue thumbstick has much more precise control over camera movement than the 8-way hat switch.

I am very interested in getting a TrackIR though. When using the TrackIR does it allow you to lean forwards as well as looking around? For example if you need to look closely at a dial in the cockpit can you put your head forwards in the real world and the camera in the cockpit moves forward too?
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-19-2018 at 19:00.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Yep, you can lean into your gunsight, peek around your yoke/stick to look at gauges, or shift over to check blind spots (even sticking your head out the window of the hurricane).

I flew competitively for a while with the hat switch and a button to recenter, but nothing beats a tracker when following an enemy through a loop.

-Z

13. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Brilliant! A TrackIR 5 it is then.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. It is much appreciated.

Even after just an hour flying a few of the training missions I am really enjoying it and can tell that it is an outstanding simulator. Shame I have to get some sleep and go to work tomorrow. It would be great to have more time to get stuck in. At least there is a bank holiday next week so there will be plenty of time then.
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-19-2018 at 19:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Yes the joystick has a hat switch but I do much prefer a gamepad though. In FSX when looking around the 360 degree analogue thumbstick has much more precise control over camera movement than the 8-way hat switch.

I am very interested in getting a TrackIR though. When using the TrackIR does it allow you to lean forwards as well as looking around? For example if you need to look closely at a dial in the cockpit can you put your head forwards in the real world and the camera in the cockpit moves forward too?
    You will never be truly competitive attempting to fly with a gamepad as a controller for your elevator/ailerons/rudder... if you use the gamepad thumbstick for viewing, then it might work... but just for the views.

Anyone who is a competitive online flyer of CLIFFS OF DOVER against other humans will tell you they use a joystick... and most use rudder pedals as well... although twist rudder joysticks can work.

If you only want to fly offline you might be able to get away with using a gamepad, but you'll be missing the best part of flight simming.

16. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Welcome to our skies, Foyle.

Join us on TeamSpeak. It's a great way to find a wingman, and find the fight.

18. Likes Foyle, MezzA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I flew with a numpad for view for years and thought I was quite competent. I got a trackIR and it was a complete game changer. I can't overstate how good of an investment a trackIR is. Go ahead and get one (or a cheaper/free head tracker) and you'll see differences right away.

20. Likes CarlMarks, Foyle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    379.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    I flew with a numpad for view for years and thought I was quite competent. I got a trackIR and it was a complete game changer. I can't overstate how good of an investment a trackIR is. Go ahead and get one (or a cheaper/free head tracker) and you'll see differences right away.
    Speaking of budget head tracking, Kwings made a great post a little while back about how to build your own very affordable version (total cost of about $30 or so). Here is the link if you are interested:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730

22. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

In this thread
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...221#post313221 (post #3)
    JG4_Karaya posted a very interesting alternative to TrckIr.
    Much cheaper, and as he says even better.

S!

DerDa

24. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

I bow to your collective experience and will give my Saitek joystick another go and maybe consider getting a new one with pedals in the future too.

The first point of call is getting a Track IR setup. Using the mouse or hat switch to look around is just not going to work for me. After the speed and accuracy of using an analogue thumbstick in FSX it feels like wearing a neck brace. A Track IR should be a big improvement.
    Last edited by Foyle; Sep-19-2018 at 08:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Foyle.......great to have you here. We're looking forward to seeing you in our virtual skies. Your enthusiasm is obvious and fully justified. I am two years into my CLoD journey. I still get shot down a lot because there are some brilliant and very disciplined pilots flying on the Blue side but I still can't wait to take off in my trusty Spit and with the help of wingmen take on the challenge of staying alive again.

No doubt about it you are getting the best possible advice from all the chaps above. I bought Track Ir5 for £160 two years ago and it has never let me down.......brilliant bit of kit! Best of luck with all your prep. Yes, it's a big learning curve but boy........it's worth it! Salute!

27. Likes Foyle, ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

I've bought a second hand Track IR 5 plus a Delanclip for £115 from Ebay. Mainly because it would take ages for Amazon to deliver a new one from America but it also saved me a few quid too.

This weekend once I've finished the tutorials and flown a few single player missions to find my feet, I'll give the online servers a go. I must admit to feeling a bit shy and self-conscious when it comes to talking to strangers in games on the internet but you seem like a friendly bunch so I am quite looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-20-2018 at 16:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

I must admit to feeling a bit shy and self-conscious when it comes to talking to strangers in games on the internet but you seem like a friendly bunch so I am quite looking forward to it.
    That feeling will go away. You've stumbled onto a great community.

Online with TeamSpeak3 will have you learning at an exponential rate. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all new to this sim at one point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

The Track IR is installed and set up which thankfully was a very simple and straight forward process. It works very well. Scanning the skys and looking around the cockpit becomes second nature in no time so I am very pleased with it.

I've just spent my first couple of hours getting to grips with CLOD in the single player quick missions and the first campaign mission. It's a tough game for sure but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Occasionally I even manage to take off without crashing.

On the plus side once I'd managed to get up in the air on the first campaign mission I did shoot down a German bomber. Afterwards I even managed to land the plane on the runway. Ok so maybe I lost a wing in the process but at least the plane was on the runway and the pilot survived.

All in all it was a lot of fun but there is still much to learn.
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-25-2018 at 16:12.

31. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, DRock, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

I've been trying to take some good in-game screen shots. It is easy taking pictures on the ground but it is a bit more trickywhen it comes to taking more dynamic and artistic shots.

How do you record a flight so that you can go back afterward and rewatch the action from different camera angles to find the best screen shot?
    Last edited by Foyle; Aug-26-2018 at 11:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

I've been trying to take some good in-game screen shots. It is easy taking pictures on the ground but it is a bit more trickywhen it comes to taking more dynamic and artistic shots.

How do you record a flight so that you can go back afterward and rewatch the action from different camera angles to find the best screen shot?
    Record a track... but don't render it to video format... that takes forever. just keep it in trk format.

Then watch the track... and you can pause, change the angles, etc. And grab the perfect screenie.

Program a button to start.

34. Likes Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the Community and Forums Foyle...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

36. Likes danperin, Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Foyle,
    If you are watching back a track that you have recorded on the ATAG server you will only be able to watch it back with the same view ( ie in cockpit) that you had when recording the track.

If you wish to enable the external views of your aircraft, other friendly and enemy planes, icons etc, just as you can do in single player, then there is a great tool called Track editor which allows you to convert your trk files to enable these views.

Just post on this thread requesting access to this tool

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=track+editor

I enjoy watching my tracks back with these views and icons enabled.

It's an eye opener sometimes to be able to see the contacts that you missed in game when you have the icons enabled

It also enables you to take screenies from outside your aircraft should you wish to do so

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

38. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Foyle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Record a track... but don't render it to video format.
    Brilliant! That's were I was going wrong when I tried recording.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.12 MB

Hello again guys.

I've recorded games in 'trk' format but when they are rewatched the camera can't be adjusted. It just plays back as if it was a video recording with the same view as when playing the game. There is no adjustment for the camera or rewinding time etc.

There is probably a setting or something that I have missed somewhere but I can't for the life of me work out what it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In the top right corner of the menu screen right before you press the play-button there is some checkboxes. If I remember correctly one to enable external views and one to adjust the playing speed. You then can use the same keys to adjust the time speed as you do in SP missions.

Fyi, there is no rewind option. If you want to view special scenes in a long track over and over again (i. e. in order to use them in a video) you can create new short tracks from your existing track. Just play the track until you have reached the scene, press Esc and then the record track-/create track-button before pressing the play-button again. When you have reached the end of your scene, press Esc again and the stop recording-button.

42. Likes Foyle liked this post