Thread: TFS Update. TF5 skins: Bf109E desert paint schemes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

TFS Update. TF5 skins: Bf109E desert paint schemes

Bf109E desert schemes. Here are some of the skins we hope to include in TF5.

Some of these may have been posted before.

Skins:
    - White 3, 1/JG 27
    - Black/red 8, F.F. Franz Ellis 8 Jagdgeschwader 27 Western Desert April 1941
    - Black/red 1, II//JG 27 end of 1941
    - Double chevron, Colonel Gustav Rodel Wing commander II JG/27 , Libya summer 1941
    - S9+CS of 8./ZG 1 Libya 1941 autumn 42
    - Plus generic version of the above (no crosses or codes, so that game generated codes can be used).

IMG_20170208_00B03 collageText sm z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a064s03 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a064s07 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a067white lines eraseS04 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a067white lines eraseS05 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a112 white 3s z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a112 white 3s01 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a112 white 3s02 cut z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a112 white 3s04 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a067white lines eraseS06 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a070 lion logo2s05 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a070 lion logo2s07 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a070 lion logo2s08 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a070 lion logo2s09 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a070 lion logo2s12 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a072xtraUnderWearS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a077 shading panel, rivetsS03 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a077 shading panel, rivetsS06 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a079 exhaustS01 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a080stains,exhaustS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a080stains,exhaustS02 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a080stains,exhaustS03 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a080stains,exhaustS05 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a080stains,exhaustS06 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a086 double chevron no mottle(hub)s z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS01 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS03 z.jpg
    Bf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS04 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS05 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS07 z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a095 double chevronS08 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a088 red white spinner redoneS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a089 red white spinner redoneS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a089 red white spinner redoneS01 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a092 Code 1, yellow hueS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a092 Code 1, yellow hueS01 z.jpg

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a098 Africa bomb logoS z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a098 Africa bomb logoS01 z z.jpgBf 109 TF5 Setback a102 double chevron correcteds z.jpg

These screenshots were made quite some time ago. Hence the smaller sized screenshots. Colours are WiP, as well as the faded effect. We might include factory fresh versions of the skins too for those who like a clean plane.

Cheers ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-21-2018 at 16:30.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Re: TFS Update. TF5 skins: Bf109E desert paint schemes

Nice work Major. How long before we see some screen shots against the desert map? I only ask as if we hope that it may possibly appear before Christmas, with three months to go and huge amounts of beta testing to be done, I had hoped to see something of the new map in your (or any) updates by now.

Just hoping to see 109's against the desert setting.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Pretty darn awesome..I even see a II./JG27 Bear one in there

.....And me too MP
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Aug-22-2018 at 01:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Nice work Major. How long before we see some screen shots against the desert map? I only ask as if we hope that it may possibly appear before Christmas, with three months to go and huge amounts of beta testing to be done, I had hoped to see something of the new map in your (or any) updates by now.

Just hoping to see 109's against the desert setting.
    As I'm not in the map making group I have no access to the map (I don't need it). I don't even know how far work has come on the map, so I won't comment on it.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

5. Likes Mysticpuma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Patchy 109 skin in action. That's a real M-34 too

Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Aug-23-2018 at 02:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    Patchy 109 skin in action. That's a real M-34 too

I somehow don't think that is official, or created by TFS.

BTW the skins I made should work both with and without the tropical filter (not shown in the screenshots).

Cheers ...

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

A note:
    Background - The skin is made up of lots of various pieces, and these are stuck together like a jigsaw to make the skin you see on the aircraft.

I want to point out that I don't just paint (mottles etc.) within the boundaries of the jigsaw pieces, I also paint so the the mottles cross the edges of the pieces. Half a mottle is on one piece, and the other half is on another. Sometimes several mottles cross several boundaries. This takes more time, as each piece has to be adjusted over-and-over until the join matches, and can only be viewed in-game.
    With squiggles and camouflage patterns it is always inevitable that the patterns cross the jigsaw boundaries, but many skinners chose to only paint mottles within the edges of the pieces, to save time.

Cheers....
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-23-2018 at 15:07.

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    A note:
    Background - The skin is made up of lots of various pieces, and these are stuck together like a jigsaw to make the skin you see on the aircraft.

I want to point out that I don't just paint (mottles etc.) within the boundaries of the jigsaw pieces, I also paint so the the mottles cross the edges of the pieces. Half a mottle is on one piece, and the other half is on another. Sometimes several mottles cross several boundaries. This takes more time, as each piece has to be adjusted over-and-over until the join matches, and can only be viewed in-game.
    With squiggles and camouflage patterns it is always inevitable that the patterns cross the jigsaw boundaries, but many skinners chose to only paint mottles within the edges of the pieces, to save time.

Cheers....
    ... such as this..

Bf 109 TF5 Setback a084 Code 1 yellow nose ex.jpg

Cheers ...
    Last edited by major_setback; Aug-23-2018 at 15:07.

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I somehow don't think that is official, or created by TFS.

BTW the skins I made should work both with and without the tropical filter (not shown in the screenshots).

Cheers ...
    You're right, this is some screenshots from 2016 on the TFS FB
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Aug-23-2018 at 14:58.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

TL : DR - please TFS alter the wear slider opacity to a min of 0 on the larger aircraft - currently even 0 leaves wear present which looks blurred from the cockpit.

One of things about Clod in terms of its graphics is the use of 2K skins especially on the larger aircraft. Whilst a user can create a 4K skin, they are still left with many hard coded elements in 2K such as the wear and paint chips that cannot be altered and remain present even on the lowest settings on many of the bombers. The panel lines also remain unaltered.

I understand that the game may not be able to "buff out" some of the 3D model's "sharp" edges (for instance on the leading edges or around radial engines) as easily as some of us would like but the presence of un-editable and un-settable silver blurred blotches, along with soft details such as panel lines and screws does detract from the immersion of flying a bomber (where many of these low res images are more clearly seen from the cockpit than in a fighter).

Clod isnt unique - many of the BOS offical templates were in 2K (although they do seem to be moving to 4K now) but the big difference here is that the community are able to produce full templates now. I understand in Clod this is nowhere near as simple and isnt something a user could do "just like that". As such it becomes another ask of the devs and a demand on time so i get its lack of importance in relation to getting out TFS 5.0.

It would be nice however if those wear layers on the bombers could be looked at and the abilty to remove them completely with the slider (as you can on the fighters), added. That way, at least a skinner could incorporate thier own wear and tear on the skins to maybe go some way toward improving view out of the window.

A similar slider option for the panel lines would also be a boon for those skiiners wishing to add their own more refined details to their skins but perhaps thats a bridge too far at this stage.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

12. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    TL : DR - please TFS alter the wear slider opacity to a min of 0 on the larger aircraft - currently even 0 leaves wear present which looks blurred from the cockpit.

One of things about Clod in terms of its graphics is the use of 2K skins especially on the larger aircraft. Whilst a user can create a 4K skin, they are still left with many hard coded elements in 2K such as the wear and paint chips that cannot be altered and remain present even on the lowest settings on many of the bombers. The panel lines also remain unaltered.

I understand that the game may not be able to "buff out" some of the 3D model's "sharp" edges (for instance on the leading edges or around radial engines) as easily as some of us would like but the presence of un-editable and un-settable silver blurred blotches, along with soft details such as panel lines and screws does detract from the immersion of flying a bomber (where many of these low res images are more clearly seen from the cockpit than in a fighter).

Clod isnt unique - many of the BOS offical templates were in 2K (although they do seem to be moving to 4K now) but the big difference here is that the community are able to produce full templates now. I understand in Clod this is nowhere near as simple and isnt something a user could do "just like that". As such it becomes another ask of the devs and a demand on time so i get its lack of importance in relation to getting out TFS 5.0.

It would be nice however if those wear layers on the bombers could be looked at and the abilty to remove them completely with the slider (as you can on the fighters), added. That way, at least a skinner could incorporate thier own wear and tear on the skins to maybe go some way toward improving view out of the window.

A similar slider option for the panel lines would also be a boon for those skiiners wishing to add their own more refined details to their skins but perhaps thats a bridge too far at this stage.
    Your comments are noted. However removal of the panel/rivets would leave a smooth featureless aircraft, and for that reason would probably not be implemented.

Principle skinner

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Your comments are noted. However removal of the panel/rivets would leave a smooth featureless aircraft, and for that reason would probably not be implemented.
    Thank you

I understand that the removal of the panel/rivets normal map would render the aircraft featureless but im not suggesting those are removed. Im talking only about the corresponding 2D drawn elements (in simple terms the "paint" layer of the panel lines and rivets) If tied to a fader or a options switch like the markings these 2D layers could be removed in order to allow user made 4K skins with those elements incorporated to benefit from not having the default lower resolution 2D elements apparent. Users not wanting anything but the default simply leave the option ticked.

The assumption here is that this 2D layer is not somehow inextricably tied to the 3D normal map. I assume it isn't since the two likely need to exist in different places in the files and/or colour spectrum in order to do what they do (one appearing as a drawn item and the other a 3D relief element).

Its not perfect but a higher resolution panel line or detail placed onto on a lower resolution normal map still adds considerable refinement. Of course a skinner would still have to produce those elements to match. This could prove a small hurdle even with those existing 2K templates that show such detail since scaling isn't always perfect. Im sure the lure of producing a decent 4K rendition would potentially attract the talent to do so though.

Anyhow - thanks for the response.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Thank you

I understand that the removal of the panel/rivets normal map would render the aircraft featureless but im not suggesting those are removed. Im talking only about the corresponding 2D drawn elements (in simple terms the "paint" layer of the panel lines and rivets) If tied to a fader or a options switch like the markings these 2D layers could be removed in order to allow user made 4K skins with those elements incorporated to benefit from not having the default lower resolution 2D elements apparent. Users not wanting anything but the default simply leave the option ticked.

The assumption here is that this 2D layer is not somehow inextricably tied to the 3D normal map. I assume it isn't since the two likely need to exist in different places in the files and/or colour spectrum in order to do what they do (one appearing as a drawn item and the other a 3D relief element).

Its not perfect but a higher resolution panel line or detail placed onto on a lower resolution normal map still adds considerable refinement. Of course a skinner would still have to produce those elements to match. This could prove a small hurdle even with those existing 2K templates that show such detail since scaling isn't always perfect. Im sure the lure of producing a decent 4K rendition would potentially attract the talent to do so though.

Anyhow - thanks for the response.
    Of course if someone produced 4K panel and rivet layers for all the skins (that are compatible with the game) we would consider using them. The problem would be to make them compatible. They are combined with a wear layer, so it isn't so easy to do. They have to 100 percent exactly resemble the existing panel rivet layers, otherwise every skin that has been made for TF5 will be unusable. And because they are combined with a wear layer you can't reduce them on a slider, as this will affect more than just the rivets and panel lines, it will affect the wear too, which in turn will affect all the colours (because in-game colour rendition is brightness dependent). It is not so easy as you say. You can't remove the wear from the panel and rivet layers, and even if you did it would ruin all the skins.

Principle skinner