Thread: Does CoD require slightly varied rgb value in a colour to display that colour correct

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Does CoD require slightly varied rgb value in a colour to display that colour correct

Hi,
    I sample a skin camo colour as rgb and create a skin with that rgb mix and get a very different colour...why ?

I am beginning to think that CoD needs a varying rgb value for a certain colour to display it as author intends, as skins have not a uniform rgb green for e.g. rlm71 but upon closer inspection quite a few varying shaded of the green as individual pixels.

How is that mixed rgb value green created ?

The CoD palette chart has just solid rgb values yet skins feature the varied variety.

What tool am I missing having created a single rgb colour to turn it into a skin colour ? Some CoD colour scrambler tool perhaps that creates those subtle variations of green in what initially looks like a single rgb colour ?

The rgb values vary a few units at most as one moves a cursor over the green in an area devoid of grime and rivets.
    see image

If I fly CheckMySix's Ju88 skin 4D+DC I get a pretty fair looking 70/71.
    If I wish to create that colour as an RGB mix, I get the value by pipette, then also check that with blurring a chunk of the original, then also hover cursor over the colour and study the varying rgb values looking for the commonest set.

If I then create a skin with those rgb values as solid colour fills, it flies the colours very differently, yet blocks of the colour looked the same as the original skin in my photo prog. My rgb method is sound.

Does CoD need a speckled type of colour and not a block of same rgb value to work ?

There is something going on in CoD such that it just doesnt display a colour as expected.

I cant just sample a skin colour I like and use it.

I could have created hundreds of skins but for CoD not displaying the skin I create, even if I sample someones colours and use that rgb value., I get something different.

Another quirk clearly showing that CoD uses existence of one colour to alter another that sould have stayed the same. If I fly my colours on stbd wing of someones skin then their port wing displays different colours than before I altered the stbd wing, explain that one !!
    CoD alters colour A if colour B is edited ! One cannot colour edit a skin if CoD does that.

If you have a nice rlm70 and alter rlm71 then rlm 70 changes ! Breaks all the laws of colour editing. The other sim I skinned for never did that.

Also one has to make sure a skin is selected in both the FMB list and also in Player Plane list before fly is clicked on else a different set of colours appear.

I wish to skin but this sees me in a tail chase, are others experiencing this CoD misbehaviour ?

BOBC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BOBC; Aug-27-2018 at 15:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Re: Does CoD require slightly varied rgb value in a colour to display that colour cor

Hi BOBC, you still at it?

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi,
    I sample a skin camo colour as rgb and create a skin with that rgb mix and get a very different colour...why ?
    It's CLOD, meaning it works in its own way, do not bring with you any expectations. Colours seen in your editing software will never look the same in the game which also adds some lighting, dirt or more.

I am beginning to think that CoD needs a varying rgb value for a certain colour to display it as author intends, as skins have not a uniform rgb green for e.g. rlm71 but upon closer inspection quite a few varying shaded of the green as individual pixels.

How is that mixed rgb value green created ?
    Literally nobody here knows.

The CoD palette chart has just solid rgb values yet skins feature the varied variety.

What tool am I missing having created a single rgb colour to turn it into a skin colour ? Some CoD colour scrambler tool perhaps that creates those subtle variations of green in what initially looks like a single rgb colour ?
    There is no tool missing. It's all 'fudged'. What you see is what you get. Makes skinning creative and artistic, not mechanical or mathematical.

The rgb values vary a few units at most as one moves a cursor over the green in an area devoid of grime and rivets.
    see image
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/iwdSKEv.jpg[IMG]
    If I fly CheckMySix's Ju88 skin 4D+DC I get a pretty fair looking 70/71.
    If I wish to create that colour as an RGB mix, I get the value by pipette, then also check that with blurring a chunk of the original, then also hover cursor over the colour and study the varying rgb values looking for the commonest set.

If I then create a skin with those rgb values as solid colour fills, it flies the colours very differently, yet blocks of the colour looked the same as the original skin in my photo prog. My rgb method is sound.

Does CoD need a speckled type of colour and not a block of same rgb value to work ?
    Does not 'need', you get what you see when you put your skin in the game. This is a flight sim.
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/YGU5YNL.jpg[IMG]

There is something going on in CoD such that it just doesnt display a colour as expected
    Since 2001

I cant just sample a skin colour I like and use it.
    Yes, copying and pasting is useless, you must make it yourself, it's the way.

I could have created hundreds of skins but for CoD not displaying the skin I create, even if I sample someones colours and use that rgb value., I get something different.
    We'd possibly enjoy your work if you did it. I'd like to see something you created, the business of game development can always use productive artists.

Another quirk clearly showing that CoD uses existence of one colour to alter another that sould have stayed the same. If I fly my colours on stbd wing of someones skin then their port wing displays different colours than before I altered the stbd wing, explain that one !!
    It's CLOD. There is no other explanation.
    CoD alters colour A if colour B is edited ! One cannot colour edit a skin if CoD does that.
    Yes the skinners who persist and bring us such pleasing results, as seen in the game now and in the updates, despite all the limitations and frustrations you describe have done an amazing job and we are grateful to them.

If you have a nice rlm70 and alter rlm71 then rlm 70 changes ! Breaks all the laws of colour editing. The other sim I skinned for never did that.

Also one has to make sure a skin is selected in both the FMB list and also in Player Plane list before fly is clicked on else a different set of colours appear.

I wish to skin but this sees me in a tail chase, are others experiencing this CoD misbehaviour ?
    Of course, that is how it works, you have exactly the same software as the skin-artists who do have product to show for the hours they sunk into the tasks.

BOBC
    Nothing here you haven't mentioned before BOBC. Are you a troll? Some of the skins shown here on this forum in the update threads have been made from scratch in the time period you've been experimenting and complaining on the forum occasionally.

You want to know what is more disappointing than waiting for so many years for a decent battle of Britain sim to get built for you? This.

All the best and until next time,

Bondi

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

3. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Re: Does CoD require slightly varied rgb value in a colour to display that colour cor

Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    Hi BOBC, you still at it?

It's CLOD, meaning it works in its own way, do not bring with you any expectations. Colours seen in your editing software will never look the same in the game which also adds some lighting, dirt or more.
    no its not what I see in the editing software, I dont for one moment expect the green I see in pshop to look like that in CoD.
    I am in sRGB colour space, calibrated monitor set to sRGB (both look drab but thats choice of CoD, AdobeRGB gives a true range of greens as per real life.)

ITS THE FACT THAT I CAN SAMPLE A GREEN THAT LOOKS DAMN GOOD IN A SKIN I FLY FROM E.G. KEEFYBOY, SKIN WITH IT AND GET SOMETHING LOOKING NOTHING LIKE THAT.
    his skin is as per my photo a speckled green, mine is solid, and as such I get a green nothing like his. ref the Ju88 wing view.

with that sort of thing happening I AM SPENDING ALL MY LITTLE TIME I HAVE TRYING TO OVERCOME IT.
    I dont want Cod to decide that my skin will be brown and green, when I have sampled a skin that is green and dk green and used those values, I am not here just to produce bad skins.
    I want to make skins with the correct rlm colours, and CoD is putting up a fight.

We'd possibly enjoy your work if you did it. I'd like to see something you created,
    you see it here, the bad 70/71 ju88 as the upper one of the three in my post and I will not put that out for consumption.

I cannot get the greens to fly as they should look, I cant even match CM6's and I am sampling it then using the rgb values, if I fly a correct rlm65 without the greenish look of others, it screws up the greens. If I alter slightly rlm71 then rlm70 becomes a totally different hue. I take MTaffs dk green which is a decent looking rlm71 in fact, put it into my skin and it goes BROWN !

here is a pshop mockup of the 70/71 I am after, but CoD disallows. I simply applied some darkness using hsl (or hsv as some refer to it), but do that to the actual skin and it goes mauve green or brown or something as bad when you fly it.

If anyone knows of how the speckled green is made from a solid rgb colour do let me know.

The craziest of all experience is add a colour to stbd wing and the port wing colours change. I also think altering the rlm65 makes the upper surfaces change. I need to test some more incase this is a factor. I am to assume you all experience this., but how do you work with and round it ?

I reckon sRGB cannot accomodate in its gamut the rlm70 dark green, I have just done a screen dump of my mockup above into pshop and its sRGB colourspace which is what CoD uses and the dk slightly bluish pinetree green has gone a bit paler and more olive green.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Aug-27-2018 at 19:36.