Thread: Hey all, another rookie checking in

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Hey all, another rookie checking in

Hello all, I'm another rookie and haven't flown a sim since Air Warrior days. I'm a PP and history buff, retired with a lot of time on my hands so I'll eventually be online often. I'd also like to join an active squadron based in the US on the German side soon.

But I still haven't made a flight yet as my new T.16000M joystick is not recognized. I've installed the drivers and the control panel in Windows shows it's working. I've tried starting IL-2 stand alone and thru Steam.

In the Steam settings page, I've tried turning off the "guide button focuses steam" and the "generic gamepad config support" options and it's the only item showing up in the detected controllers list. I'd also like to program the 15 buttons on the stick, no one can point me to a list of commands. I've also posted my problem on the Steam forum, but still no joy.

I have no doubt this is a common problem with many requesting help, but I've searched the tech problem and controller threads on a few forums and although have tried many fixes, nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?

2. Likes ATAG_Septic, DUI, SharkBait, QB.Creep liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Hey all, another rookie checking in

Hi and welcome.

Have you tried assigning the joystick? I know that is probably a dumb question but basic checks first. The game doesn't automatically assign controllers.

You'll need to go to OPTIONS then CONTROLS.

Click on AXIS tab then double click in the right hand column (Command) next to the axis you want to assign. A box should pop up and if you move the stick it should appear.

Forgive me if you've already tried this - report back and im sure others will be along to help further.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

4. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Hi and welcome.

Have you tried assigning the joystick? I know that is probably a dumb question but basic checks first. The game doesn't automatically assign controllers.

You'll need to go to OPTIONS then CONTROLS.

Click on AXIS tab then double click in the right hand column (Command) next to the axis you want to assign. A box should pop up and if you move the stick it should appear.

Forgive me if you've already tried this - report back and im sure others will be along to help further.
    Thanks Boo!

I had tried assigning the joystick earlier, but hadn't realized it required 2 clicks (I'm starting feel like my mother when she was dealing with computers LOL).

I now have the major controls assigned but there's a huge delay and no response from the throttle. I've assigned the up/down elev trim, but get no response. I had tried using the TARGET program and created a .cfc file, could this be interfering with the .ini file?

I'm pulling my hair out getting this setup. I've flown many sims over the years, but have never had any issues like this. I've got 10 friggen hours in and still no functioning stick, but I'm not giving up...

6. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by oldersalt View Post
    Thanks Boo!

I had tried assigning the joystick earlier, but hadn't realized it required 2 clicks (I'm starting feel like my mother when she was dealing with computers LOL).

I now have the major controls assigned but there's a huge delay and no response from the throttle. I've assigned the up/down elev trim, but get no response. I had tried using the TARGET program and created a .cfc file, could this be interfering with the .ini file?

I'm pulling my hair out getting this setup. I've flown many sims over the years, but have never had any issues like this. I've got 10 friggen hours in and still no functioning stick, but I'm not giving up...
    Do you use Teamspeak? I have a different Thrustmaster stick which worked out of the box but I'd be glad to talk it over and solve your problem.

8. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

TARGET is witchcraft to me - I use it but it based on a very generous donation by a fellow player (Gridset) that I "tinker" with.

Perhaps a idea to try it without at first just to rule it in or out. Others with more experience of TARGET may help later. Pretty sure the TM 1600M is usually a pretty straight forward stick to sort out (without target).

If you have teamspeak, Im sure OSKAR will set you straight quickly. If not, we can battle on here.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

10. Likes Oldsalt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    Do you use Teamspeak? I have a different Thrustmaster stick which worked out of the box but I'd be glad to talk it over and solve your problem.
    Thanks for the offer, but it's still on my to-do list. When I get it and still having problems I'll get back to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

TARGET is witchcraft to me - I use it but it based on a very generous donation by a fellow player (Gridset) that I "tinker" with.

Perhaps a idea to try it without at first just to rule it in or out. Others with more experience of TARGET may help later. Pretty sure the TM 1600M is usually a pretty straight forward stick to sort out (without target).

If you have teamspeak, Im sure OSKAR will set you straight quickly. If not, we can battle on here.
    How do you know if IL-2 is using whatever cfc file TARGET creates or the ini file IL-2 creates? Is there a problem if you have both?

Another thing I just noticed is that in my 'documents' dir there's a sub-dir; 1C Softclub with another sub-dir; IL-2 Stumovik Cliffs of Dover with many ini files. I've been putting my custom ini file in a different dir, is this a problem?

Lastly, on snap views, I only want to see a view when holding down the hat switch and having it returning to the forward view when released. But it looks like you have to assign a forward view key?? That just doesn't seem right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

HI oldersalt

Ill try to answer your questions as fully as i can in the morning (UK time) unless someone else pops in to do that in the meantime.

What i would say is that, for now, try setting up the stick without running the TARGET script. The game uses files from within the My Doc/1C Softclub/Cliffs of dover folder by default. The file called "ConfUser" is what the game accesses. Elements of this file are rewritten when you click apply in the controls section to whatever the current bindings are. You can set up multiple different bindings for different aircraft if you want and, once saved, these can be reloaded using the "load" button. Once loaded they must also be "Applied" in order for the changes to be made in the game (by overwriting the confuser file)

The FCF files in Target (in my basic version anyhows) are used more or less as keyboard emulations with a few extras and macros. These are not accessed by the game per se but act as an interface between fuctions on my TM throttle and the game. So they are outside of the game. You shouldnt need TARGET to make the stick to work in the game and it shouldn't get messy as I don't think the T16000 has any two and three way toggles to worry about.

Ill write more tomoorow if still needed.

Regards

BOO

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    I'm looking into Teamspeak now. Can you recommend a good headset? Does everyone go with a Bluetooth setup or is there too much of a delay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I'm looking into Teamspeak now. Can you recommend a good headset? Does everyone go with a Bluetooth setup or is there too much of a delay?
    Hi oldersalt, and welcome to the forum.

This is the one I’ve been using for 2 or 3 years now - the Logitech 430. Good sound, good microphone, reasonably comfortable, uses USB 2.0 or 3.0, has its own “soundcard”. Good value:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G430...gaming+headset

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

HI oldersalt

Ill try to answer your questions as fully as i can in the morning (UK time) unless someone else pops in to do that in the meantime.

What i would say is that, for now, try setting up the stick without running the TARGET script. The game uses files from within the My Doc/1C Softclub/Cliffs of dover folder by default. The file called "ConfUser" is what the game accesses. Elements of this file are rewritten when you click apply in the controls section to whatever the current bindings are. You can set up multiple different bindings for different aircraft if you want and, once saved, these can be reloaded using the "load" button. Once loaded they must also be "Applied" in order for the changes to be made in the game (by overwriting the confuser file)

The FCF files in Target (in my basic version anyhows) are used more or less as keyboard emulations with a few extras and macros. These are not accessed by the game per se but act as an interface between fuctions on my TM throttle and the game. So they are outside of the game. You shouldnt need TARGET to make the stick to work in the game and it shouldn't get messy as I don't think the T16000 has any two and three way toggles to worry about.

Ill write more tomoorow if still needed.

Regards

BOO
    Thanks Boo and for everyones help, I've finally been able to fly. Although it seems I'll be assigning and reassigning my buttons for quite a while, it's a start. And I'm very impressed so far! It still seems to have a little lag on the controls, but I'll adapt. I've got a hundred questions and I have more every time I fly. I assume the best thread for new guy questions is the Flight School?

I've only done the Quick Flight option and have landed, but immediately nosed over (stick full back). I assume the problem was full brakes, there must be an option for partial left/right braking that I haven't found yet? When assigning buttons I found mixture and carb heat options, but I read somewhere that's for some future release?

I noticed that you can make an almost perfectly coordinated turns without rudder which seems strange or is there some auto rudder option that I have on? Besides elevator trim, I think I need rudder trim on the stick, does anyone do this? Do you ever have to deal with random engine or other system failures?

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi oldersalt, and welcome to the forum.

This is the one I’ve been using for 2 or 3 years now - the Logitech 430. Good sound, good microphone, reasonably comfortable, uses USB 2.0 or 3.0, has its own “soundcard”. Good value:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G430...gaming+headset
    Thanks Snapper. Can you tell me how long you're able to keep these on without ear stress/pain? I had assumed people would be just using a mike and listening on the existing audio system. But if they're comfortable enough, I'd go with the over ear type for better sound.

Btw, when I was a kid, I had a snapping turtle as a pet.

17. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Thanks Snapper. Can you tell me how long you're able to keep these on without ear stress/pain? I had assumed people would be just using a mike and listening on the existing audio system. But if they're comfortable enough, I'd go with the over ear type for better sound.

Btw, when I was a kid, I had a snapping turtle as a pet.
    I've worn these headsets for a full map duration of 4 hours with no problem; they seem to get more comfortable with age. I use a headset for a number of reasons:

1) So my wife upstairs doesn't sue for divorce.
    2) The sound is actually really good through these headsets, plus you do get better directional sound out of them IMHO. Handy when you're taxiing around and trying not to bump into other idling aircraft
    3) My TrackIR clip snaps onto the headset quite well
    4) The built in microphone works very well with Teamspeak. Players who use a separate microphone sitting in front of them tend to drift in and out volume-wise if they're speaking while scanning the skies for aircraft, especially when looking behind them (using TrackIR)

As always, your mileage may vary.

re my icon picture - that's one of the two boxing turtles that I inherited from my daughter which she got in grade school. She's now 36 years old and moved out long ago. These damn things just don't die!!!!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Hi Oldersalt - glad you're getting there!!

Fligtschool is the best forum to ask as you have already reasoned.

If your controls are still lagging (with no TARGET interference?) and you may be finding some buttons don't seem to work, check that "Anthropomorphic Control" is NOT checked in the "main" section of the Realism settings. This was an attempt to add a realistic limitation of the amount of things a player could do at the same time in an old cockpit (pre HOTAS) but its bugged and can interfere with controls and key presses.

Kiwi points out elsewhere that the 109 doesn't have rudder trim but it should work on most of the other aircraft. It is pretty gradual though so you might have to press it a few times to see any effect.

Brakes - no key for anything but 100% on - Only axis will give you that. This isn't as problematic as it sounds - just dab the button. The Hurricane and Spit (a couple of other types too) use differential braking so do not have left/right brakes. Currently this isn't very responsive and for sharper turns you may find that you will need to slow to a stop before engaging the brake, hitting the rudder and throttling into the turn. On landings being slow enough in the first place really helps reduce the need to brake from speed as the aircraft will slow quite quickly.

Trim buttons - Many players put their trim onto the Hat switch of the stick. Even though you are using your hat for snap views you can still do this. CLoD is very good at using combinations of keys. Im gonna put a big caveat here to say ive never used the hat for views since ive always had a headtracker but hopefully this might work for you:

So whilst your hat switch will be primarily used for snap views , if you bind the hat swittch AND another key or button to the trim, pressing this button or kety before you press the hat, should switch your hat mode to trim. If you use a keyboard key Id suggest using Left Cntl or left Alt or Left shift as they are easy to find. When binding combinations PRESS AND HOLD the "modifier" key then press and release the the second key in the combo to register the full combination.

Random Engine Failure - was discussed with the community by TFS (the developers) and the overall opinion from memeory was "great idea but make it an option for both sP and for server hosts" - at present there is no random failure over and above the damage you can cause through over heating and excessive G/speed.

Cheers

BOO