Thread: BF 109 Tailwheel lock use

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

BF 109 Tailwheel lock use

Well I finally have JoystickCurves and JoyToKey (both are great apps) up and running and went online for the first time last night and immediately got nowhere.

I had issues taking off, I never got off the ground twice and once I had to go around with a missing wing tip and aileron. It must be tailwheel issue as I think I do everything else ok, using rudder and a little right aileron seems to work offline.

I searched the forum and find conflicting info, that I assume is due to older releases. I've read that it has no lock and needs both rudder and differential braking for a straight run. I've also read that it has one and with a small indicator on the left, just below the side window that I can't find. Is there one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: BF 109 Tailwheel lock use

Hello Oldersalt

The 109E did not have a locking tailwheel.

The keys to taking off successfully in the 109 or any other aircraft are:

- Make sure you give yourself the whole runway to takeoff on.

- Line yourself up straight down the runway before starting the takeoff.

- No flaps required.

- Gentle with the throttle application, start with 60%... make sure you are tracking straight, then gradually increase the throttle... no need to use WEP.

- As you mentioned, use of rudder is a necessity.

- Let the aircraft fly itself off the ground as much as possible... don't pull it off too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Oldersalt

The 109E did not have a locking tailwheel.

The keys to taking off successfully in the 109 or any other aircraft are:

- Make sure you give yourself the whole runway to takeoff on.

- Line yourself up straight down the runway before starting the takeoff.

- No flaps required.

- Gentle with the throttle application, start with 60%... make sure you are tracking straight, then gradually increase the throttle... no need to use WEP.

- As you mentioned, use of rudder is a necessity.

- Let the aircraft fly itself off the ground as much as possible... don't pull it off too soon.
    Thanks, what immediately comes to mind is opening the throttle too fast. Maybe that was the difference I was having and didn't realize or notice the use of the throttle. I'll try it later tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Hi OlderS,
    Try a few degrees of nose up trim as well. I do find that sometimes u may need a little right aileron as well as right rudder to stop the left wing tipping...can depend on how much crosswind there is I guess.
    If u are flying an E4 engage manual prop pitch control and make sure u are in fully fine pitch for takeoff...ie the "clock" is at the 12 o'clock position. Once airborne u can coarsen it to desired rpms or engage auto pitch if u so desire.
    Persevere, U will soon get the feel for it.
    Last edited by ATAG_Torian; Sep-25-2018 at 05:33.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    Hi OlderS,
    Try a few degrees of nose up trim as well. I do find that sometimes u may need a little right aileron as well as right rudder to stop the left wing tipping...can depend on how much crosswind there is I guess.
    If u are flying an E4 engage manual prop pitch control and make sure u are in fully fine pitch for takeoff...ie the "clock" is at the 12 o'clock position. Once airborne u can coarsen it to desired rpms or engage auto pitch if u so desire.
    Persevere, U will soon get the feel for it.
    Thanks Torian!

After a few failed attempted downwind and an upwind takeoff, I finally made my first online flight last night. I also finally learned that they model the wind. Thanks Kiwi and Penguin!

Does the wind always come straight down every runway or are there crosswinds? If so are they ever strong enough to require a slip or a crab when landing?

In reality, didn't the British and French have big open fields that allowed them to takeoff in any direction? Does CoD have any of these?

Do they model winds aloft? If so, when do they change the speed and direction, once a day or more often?

I'm looking to buy a tracker now, I have the funds to buy a nice one, but don't want goggles. I've read a few posts recommending the TrackIR 5, but they were a year old. Is this still one of the best or are there others that match or better it now?

6. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, MezzA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by oldersalt View Post
    Thanks Torian!

After a few failed attempted downwind and an upwind takeoff, I finally made my first online flight last night. I also finally learned that they model the wind. Thanks Kiwi and Penguin!

Does the wind always come straight down every runway or are there crosswinds? If so are they ever strong enough to require a slip or a crab when landing?

In reality, didn't the British and French have big open fields that allowed them to takeoff in any direction? Does CoD have any of these?

Do they model winds aloft? If so, when do they change the speed and direction, once a day or more often?

I'm looking to buy a tracker now, I have the funds to buy a nice one, but don't want goggles. I've read a few posts recommending the TrackIR 5, but they were a year old. Is this still one of the best or are there others that match or better it now?
    If you taxi to the end of the runway so your aircraft is facing the yellow sided placard/boards, then you are facing into the wind... which is where you want to be.

You don't want to take off crosswind... i.e. at right angles to the runway, or with the wind, i.e. when you are facing the non-yellow side of the placard/boards.

Yes the RAF had many large open fields which allowed takeoff in any direction, but you still need to take off against the wind. In real life the wind shifts, so at one point or one day it might be blowing in one direction, the next hour or day it might be blowing the opposite.

That is the purpose of the windsock... you look at which direction the windsock is blowing, and you take off against the direction it is blowing/pointing. Most well built missions have windsocks at the fields.

Yes, there are winds aloft... and they can be set up so they change direction depending on altitude or direction... and the velocity can change.

Typically on most online servers, wind speed is low... because newer players already have trouble taking off without having to deal with nasty winds.

But if the mission builder wants to make life hard or add a level of realism, wind speeds can be quite high.

In real life, when wind speeds reached a certain level, then aircraft would no longer fly... it was too dangerous to takeoff and land.

8. Likes Oldsalt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by oldersalt View Post
    ….looking to buy a tracker now, I have the funds to buy a nice one, but don't want goggles. I've read a few posts recommending the TrackIR 5, but they were a year old. Is this still one of the best or are there others that match or better it now?
    There a few good options for head tracking and a quick search on this forum or google will give u some diy options which are fairly cheap but work well. For me, TrackIR5 has worked well but does represent the most expensive option. If u have the $ to spend and u want a great head tracker that works well straight out of the box so to speak, the TrackIR5 won't disappoint. The only caveat is tho if u get the TrackClip Pro with it, the attachment point where u attach it to your headset is easily broken. Broke mine day 1 and had to use bluetac (poster hanging putty) to attach it. It seems to be a design flaw that results in most users breaking the attachment anyway. Still worked no probs but if I had known the attachment was so flimsy I would have been much more careful but it prolly would still have broken at some point anyway.

Just to add to what Buzz said above, was at a country airshow earlier this year that was to feature a Spit, Hurri, FW190 and a P40 but on the day the north-south runway (the only runway) was having 30km/hr crosswind gusts that resulted in those birds not being able to fly. They did not want to take a chance with precious aircraft like that. The P51s and the heavier planes like the Avenger could cope but the narrower track undercarriage planes in particular like the Spit would have been tricky. A 109E would have been out of the question.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

varrattu

BF 109 Tailwheel lock use

Bf109E-1, Bf109E-3 and Bf109E-4 were not equipped by default with a tailwheel lock. But the Bf109 tailwheel lock was introduced with the Bf109E-7.

Please klick here >> BF109 tail wheel lock?

~V~
    Last edited by varrattu; Sep-27-2018 at 12:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by varrattu View Post
    Bf109E-1, Bf109E-3 and Bf109E-4 were not equipped by default with a tailwheel lock. But the Bf109 tailwheel lock was introduced with the Bf109E-7.

Please klick here >> BF109 tail wheel lock?

~V~
    Thanks varrattu, great info!

varrattu

I operate the BF109E, by the way, in accordance with this Messerschmitt flight manual:

Bf109 Start- und Landetechnik

Go out and fly the airplane with different flap settings. You will notice a low nose attitude and a good view when landing with full landing flaps (40 degrees). You will be able to land in the spot you pick. And you will end up as slow as possible on touchdown.

~V~
    Last edited by varrattu; Sep-27-2018 at 15:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB