Thread: Educate Me On Hurricane Fuel Tanks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Question Educate Me On Hurricane Fuel Tanks?

Haven't flown the Hurricane much. The three position switch that selects wing and fuselage fuel tanks. What is the proper tank sequence to burn fuel? Seems in IL2 46 you had to empty a P-51's center tank first for more stability, IIRC. Thanks in advance.
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Educate Me On Hurricane Fuel Tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by 13sq*Axe View Post
    Haven't flown the Hurricane much. The three position switch that selects wing and fuselage fuel tanks. What is the proper tank sequence to burn fuel? Seems in IL2 46 you had to empty a P-51's center tank first for more stability, IIRC. Thanks in advance.
    Normally you burn the main tank first... then go on the reserve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Thanks for the reply Buzzsaw. Found the Chuck_Owl's Guide in the TF forums.
    I didn't know if the selector switch on the right above the fuel gauge switched tanks but I see now. It assigns the gauge. The wing tanks empty at the same rate and the center being the reserve.
    Last edited by 13sq*Axe; Sep-25-2018 at 23:40.
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

The Hurricane fuel tank selector switch (Fuel Distributor Cock), is in front of your left knee. The selector on the right near the gauges is for selecting the fuel remaining for each tank on the "Gas Gauge".

In the real Hurricane, engine start is always done with the reserve tank selected. That's because the reserve fuel tank is higher than the engine, and provides a gravity feed to the engine fuel control system. The main and wing tanks are too low and only provide fuel when the engine is running.

If the main tanks are less than 50% full, you must take off on the reserve supply. It is also required that you don't exhaust the reserve tank before selecting main tanks, since it may vapor lock. It's recommended that you don't run the mains dry before selecting the reserve tank.

With all that said, In our CLoD simulator,I've never had a problem starting from any tank that contains fuel. When fuel starvation occurs, my first action is to select the other tank... it has always worked (No vapor lock) in the game. This is good since I always forget that darned thing!

All this gee-whiz information came from the "Air Publication 1564A - Hurricane I, Merlin II Manual.pdf", easily found on the internet.
    Last edited by Baffin; Sep-26-2018 at 09:47.

5. Likes ATAG_Marlow, 13sq*Axe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Many thanks for that Baffin. It was totally " gee-whiz" for me.