Thread: noob questions

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

noob questions

Hey all, trying to figure it all out but its a lot, so sorry if i missed the already posted answers but.....
    i just got the blitz version off of steam am i good to go or are there downloads/updates i should be looking for?
    i cant seem to figure out how to play the german planes in single player or campaign?
    i can play them in multi but with out any head tracker i get shot down too quickly by invisible planes. anyway hoping to get some more time in them.
    thx for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: noob questions

Hi Badgerman and welcome to the forum.

Your copy of Blitz is good to go.

I’m not much help to you about flying the German planes; I’m not even very good at flying the British ones! Head tracking gear of some sort is a huge help. Folks here can advise you on price-smart variations that work just as well as the nice, but pricey, TrackIR.

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman View Post
    i cant seem to figure out how to play the german planes in single player or campaign?
    Are you clicking the greyed out pilot head over the German plane?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Welcome Badgerman

The current Blitz version off Steam is all you need to get the game running.
    It's harder to play the Germans in singleplayer because currently there are fewer campaigns for them included with the game AFAIK. Selecting a German aircraft in the Quick missions should be as easy as the British ones.

Getting a headtracker was a massive improvement for me and my flying, once you get one you'll never look back (pun intended). There are a few different options for headtracking:

- TrackIR - The best for quality, headset and reciever built specifically for headtracking, can be quite expensive though depending on age of set/your location.

- Inertial-based headtrackers such as EDTracker - much more competitive pricing but can be subject to inaccuracy after some time, requires recentering often. No camera receiver on computer required.

- DIY IR-LED headsets - By far the cheapest, easy to make if you have a technical mind and electronic soldering experience, and quality can get quite high. Check out this thread here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ht=headtracker

Apart from that, good luck in the virtual skies and don't be afraid to ask for help.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

5. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hi there Badgerman,

You should be able to select a German plane in at least some of the quick missions, such as 'Cross Country', but they will appear with British markings.

I am pretty sure that some of the quick missions are flown from the German side. I have played mainly multiplayer and haven't fully explored all of the offline single player stuff myself.

I think that there are also single player missions that can be downloaded (check out the single player lounge), but most of us think that most of the fun is to be had in Multiplayer

As for head tracking, most use Track IR, but it is very expensive compared to the other options available.

Is it worth the extra outlay? Well, that's a matter of opinion.

I am currently using the DIY set up based on a modified PS3 eye (link in Kiwi's post above)

I have never used Track IR, so cannot compare it, but it works on the same principle, is a fraction of the price, and some have said that actually, the build quality of this set up is actually better than Track IR.

The only issue that I have found (and this applies with Track IR too) is that it is effected by direct sunlight, which can make it go a bit crazy at times. Even a bright sun in game sometimes effects mine.

Before I had this set up I was using Ed Tracker (link also in Kiwi's post above)

This is a great little head tracking device based on a magnetometer (much like that which can be found in mobile phones)

Again, the Ed Tracker is much cheaper than Track IR, and is available in wired, or the more expensive (but still cheaper than Track IR) wireless versions

Ed Tracker is not effected by sunlight, and I still have mine which I use when sunlight is coming through the window near my rig.

The only drawback with Ed Tracker is that you only get 3 degrees of freedom (DoF) compared with 6 DoF with most other trackers.

What this means is that using Ed Tracker will allow you to look up, down, left and right, but won't allow you to lean out of the cockpit or look around the control column in the British fighters to see the compass properly.

There is a slight work around with Ed Tracker where you can adjust the curves in the open track software to allow a slight 'lean out' which helps with 'Checking 6' which works to a degree, but the freedom of movement is better with the 6DoF allowed with Track IR and similar Trackers.

Other trackers to consider would be Delan Clip and Track hat.

Good Luck, and I hope this helps

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

There are player made missions and campaigns available. If I remember correctly (dont put money on it) there are some in the ATAG downloads link at the top of the page.

(I would check myself but I am notoriously lazy and dont do single player stuff.....not that theres anything wrong with that)
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    There are player made missions and campaigns available. If I remember correctly (dont put money on it) there are some in the ATAG downloads link at the top of the page.

(I would check myself but I am notoriously lazy and dont do single player stuff.....not that theres anything wrong with that)
    Yes, there are indeed some single player missions in the downloads section of this forum

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thx guys i will check into all that especially the tracker. flying in multi without one is like being all alone in a really unreliable plane. cya in the skies.

10. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post