Thread: Changes to contact spotting distance - Blitz vs 4.312

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Changes to contact spotting distance - Blitz vs 4.312

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if any changes were made to the contact spotting distances or pixel dot colours from CLOD 4.312 and CLOD Blitz ?

1 year ago I was playing CLOD 4.312 in the UK on a 32 inch full HD TV, then I had to stop playing for a while to move to Spain and when I returned in January, Blitz had just been released so I got my hands on a 40 inch Sony Bravia Full HD TV.

With the 32 inch TV I had in the UK I could see distant contacts really well up to 13k. At 14k and 15k the contacts were visible but faint.

I hoped the 40 inch TV would be even better, but it's turned out to be slightly worse. Contacts are clear up to 11k, but 12k, 13k and 14k are barely visible.

Both TVs are full HD and I expected the contacts to be more visible on the 40 inch TV. I've tried all manner of AA settings, Reshade ON/OFF, Nvidia tweaks and all the TV settings, but I can't get the same visibility for distant contacts as I had with my old 32 inch TV.

I'm considering a new TV, but I never had the chance to play Blitz on my old TV so that's why I'm asking if any changes were made to the distant contacts between 4.312 and Blitz.

I'd appreciate your thoughts or suggestions

Prey

My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Changes to contact spotting distance - Blitz vs 4.312

No changes in the game... but be aware the server sets the distance

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Prey Stalker View Post
    Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if any changes were made to the contact spotting distances or pixel dot colours from CLOD 4.312 and CLOD Blitz ?

1 year ago I was playing CLOD 4.312 in the UK on a 32 inch full HD TV, then I had to stop playing for a while to move to Spain and when I returned in January, Blitz had just been released so I got my hands on a 40 inch Sony Bravia Full HD TV.

With the 32 inch TV I had in the UK I could see distant contacts really well up to 13k. At 14k and 15k the contacts were visible but faint.

I hoped the 40 inch TV would be even better, but it's turned out to be slightly worse. Contacts are clear up to 11k, but 12k, 13k and 14k are barely visible.

Both TVs are full HD and I expected the contacts to be more visible on the 40 inch TV. I've tried all manner of AA settings, Reshade ON/OFF, Nvidia tweaks and all the TV settings, but I can't get the same visibility for distant contacts as I had with my old 32 inch TV.

I'm considering a new TV, but I never had the chance to play Blitz on my old TV so that's why I'm asking if any changes were made to the distant contacts between 4.312 and Blitz.

I'd appreciate your thoughts or suggestions

Prey

3. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Here's a great 'tool' made by Dui to check you settings in single player...
    The Man Who Stare at Pixels: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=13915

The servers may restrict you, as Buzzsaw wrote, but then you'll know it's not your system.

PS: And be aware of all kind of image 'optimizations' your TV may apply to the output of your PC. Most of them you may be allowed to disable. There might be a PC- or Data- Mode available without any of them.
    Last edited by Artist; Oct-14-2018 at 03:03.

5. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Thanks for the response guys.

Believe me, I am definitely a "man who stares at pixels". Too much of that and not enough flying lately !!!

I use the contact spotting mission and another quick mission to test spotting.

My HDMI input is labelled PC, I've been through GAME mode, GRAPHICS mode and STANDARD mode, and turned all the image enhancement features ON and OFF.

I've come to the conclusion that my TV has a minimum level of image enhancement that just can't be turned off and that's blurring the distant contacts.

That's assuming that no changes were made to contact spotting on the ATAG "Axis vs Allies" server after Blitz was released.

I feel "another" hole in my wallet coming.....

Windows 7 64 bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Still, this sounds to be quite good results to me that I would regard above average.

8. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Still, this sounds to be quite good results to me that I would regard above average.
    It's like Brandy Dui, once you've had the good stuff, it's hard to go back to the cheap ones

Besides, it's only an issue when I'm flying with my squad mates and they're calling out contacts that I don't see until a few seconds later. I'm always the last one to the party, which wasn't the case with my previous TV.

Lonewolf flying is fine. I see the contacts with enough time to act accordingly.

Windows 7 64 bit

10. Likes DUI liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Hi Stalker, I am hardly a video expert, or even a CLOD expert but I just went through setting up a new UHD TV monitor for the game and have some thoughts on the subject that you have not addressed.

Make sure your resolution is set up the same for the monitor, the graphics card and for the game, in my case it has to the 1920 X 1080 60hz. Also in the game set Full Screen to ON. If I go to any other setting but ON I do not get to 16 km contact spotting. Also set the game Anti-Aliasing to OFF.

I hope you do not have to buy another monitor, good luck.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

12. Likes PreyStalker, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

...With the 32 inch TV I had in the UK I could see distant contacts really well up to 13k. At 14k and 15k the contacts were visible but faint.

I hoped the 40 inch TV would be even better, but it's turned out to be slightly worse. Contacts are clear up to 11k, but 12k, 13k and 14k are barely visible...
    How are you guys determining these distances?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
    See Artist’s post #3 above. He’s referring to a handy contact-spotting mission that DUI shared with us years ago. It’s found in the “Men Who Stare At Pixels” thread as an attachment thst you can download, copy & paste into your Single Missions folder. Many of us use it whenever we change video equipment and/or settings to verify that our contact spotting hasn’t diminished.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
    Edit: Ninja'd by Snapper

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I just went through setting up a new UHD TV monitor for the game and have some thoughts on the subject that you have not addressed.

Make sure your resolution is set up the same for the monitor, the graphics card and for the game, in my case it has to the 1920 X 1080 60hz. Also in the game set Full Screen to ON. If I go to any other setting but ON I do not get to 16 km contact spotting. Also set the game Anti-Aliasing to OFF.
    Thanks Little Bill,

Your settings are the same as mine, but it's interesting that you can see the 16k contacts on a 4k UHD TV.

What TV is it ? Make and Size please

Prey

Windows 7 64 bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Sounds like you are considering buying another monitor. Mine is a TCL (Roku) S405 43" set at 1080P It is a rather inexpensive set, $250 at Costco with some limitations, but it has pretty good gaming spec's.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

18. Likes PreyStalker liked this post