Thread: Windows 10 is still free...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Windows 10 is still free...

Hi Folks...

Just a FYI...You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to 10...Follow the link below...

Apparently it has always been available legally and still free from what I can tell...Its just doesn't seem to be widely advertised...You need to read the info in the link and decide for yourself...As per usual...don't blame the messenger if it doesn't work but it worked for me yesterday on an old PC I have with no hitches...and I didn't need to put in my code number or anything from my windows 7 install...It just upgraded as my other PCs did back when it was first advertised...

I followed the instructions in the link...

You will need to make sure you have a few hours spare for the upgrade to do its thing...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

Just a headsup...as I think some of you like me probably didn't bother to Google it once you knew the offer of free upgrade time limit was expired in July 2016...

...Lew...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Oct-25-2018 at 09:09.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Windows 10 is still free...

Just trying this on a laptop which is afflicted with a severe bout of Windows 8.1

Keep y'all posted

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

After my harddrive crash a few weeks back, I was able to install Win10 on my machine doing the following:

*Ooops, skip steps 1-4 if you still have the good copy running. lol

1. Backup everything
    2. Wipe the drive out.
    3. Install Windows 7/8 AND update. The next step will not work if you don't update and you will be forced to redownload the entire WIN10!
    4. Manually activate your windows product. Or the woes of step 3 may happen again.
    5. Download and execute Windows Media Creation Tool. Get it here.
    -Note, Win7 internet explorer may not be able to open the Microsoft site (ha), so I had to download Chrome.
    6. The tool will auto recognize your legit Windows copy and now you can proceed to shut Cortana off and turn off their marketing trackers in your settings.
    7. Get a 16 GIG USB stick and make a recovery drive. That way you can skip steps 1-4.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by 69th_Zeb; Oct-25-2018 at 11:23. Reason: Oops

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

if anyone was building from scratch and wanted windows 10 pro you can just download from the MS website the creation tool onto a USB stick.

Buy a moody licence key off flea bay for £4, it activated fine for a build I just did for a friend. This all took about 5 minutes. Millenials don't know how easy they have it!

6. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Just trying this on a laptop which is afflicted with a severe bout of Windows 8.1

Keep y'all posted
    All tickety-boo!

9 hours in..... went out for drinks for 3 of that though...

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.119_Bruv View Post
    Buy a moody licence key off flea bay for £4...
    Can u provide less cryptic details on that ?
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just upgraded from 7.64 bit to 10; all up and running in about 3.5 hours, very easy to follow. Thanks for the info.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.21 GB

Download windows 10 and in install it. Go log into your Microsoft account and it should activate it automatically.
    Last edited by lords20; Oct-31-2018 at 14:54. Reason: Spelling and missing a word

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.94 GB

But here's the thing... Windows 10 doesn't like older machines. It has a nasty habit of crashing during updates due to older devices not being supported. Just spend the last week offline reinstalling Windows 7, which works just fine thank you very much. So maybe prettier but upgrade at your own risk.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I had to flash my BIOS and update it some time back to get it to work. There's a good chance though that you can find updated drivers for older hardware as I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

If anyone is still on Windows 7 like me, and bearing in mind the end of Microsoft support for that particular OS on 14th January 2020, this thread might be of interest to you.

I haven't tried it yet myself but will do so soon and let you all know if it works for me

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Just tried to upgrade and hit a problem.

Downloaded and ran the Media creation tool and let it do it's stuff.

Everything seemed to be going well until, directly after this ...

Windows 10 005.PNG

I got this.....

Windows 10 006.PNG

Any ideas anyone?

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Lase have a look at this link.

I don't know if this is why you are getting the problem or not.

https://www.intowindows.com/fix-this...to-windows-10/

Hope it helps.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    Lase have a look at this link.

I don't know if this is why you are getting the problem or not.

https://www.intowindows.com/fix-this...to-windows-10/

Hope it helps.

Yes, I did have an external USB drive connected when I tried to upgrade.

I will remove it now and try again

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Just removed all external drives and tried again. Still getting the same error message.

Ah well, it was worth a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Laser are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10, or do a clean format and install to Windows 10?
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Headshot View Post
    Laser are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10, or do a clean format and install to Windows 10?
    I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    508.11 MB

Try unplugging any unnecessary USB device and turn of automatic updates. I heard the latest Windows 10 build was giving bother so might have to wait for a fix

21. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Instead of updating from 7 to 10 you could always try a fresh install. You would need to back up all of your stuff and it will take a bit of work, but you'll get a cleaner install of it anyways that way. I've had issues with updating from 7 to 10 on computers in the past, but a fresh install is usually pretty solid.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Headshot View Post
    Instead of updating from 7 to 10 you could always try a fresh install. You would need to back up all of your stuff and it will take a bit of work, but you'll get a cleaner install of it anyways that way. I've had issues with updating from 7 to 10 on computers in the past, but a fresh install is usually pretty solid.
    Yeah, it looks like a fresh install is the way forward. Better start backing up those files

24. Likes ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Yeah, it looks like a fresh install is the way forward. Better start backing up those files
    Don't do this without any backup,if you're unlucky and the Windows 10 upgrade fails, you'll lose everything on your computer.
    There are a lot of tutorials online for how to upgrade Windows 10,but i can not make sure they work.Or why not download Windows iso and make a Windows 10 installation usd,all the steps are free.
    Making a Windows 10 installation disk from here:
    https://www.uubyte.com/
    Installing Windows 10 on compuetr from here:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-10
    Upgrading to Windows 10 free from here:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Upgrade-to-Windows-10
    Last edited by Roderick K. Hayes; Dec-10-2019 at 21:50.