Thread: FPS Improvement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

FPS Improvement?

Until recently my PC system has struggled with the Normandy map. Even at reduced video settings I would get reduced framerates at low altitudes, plus a pronounced lag in my controller inputs. Recently there have been two changes:

1) the latest DCS update (of a continuing series), and

2) a major Windows 10 update.

Between the two I’ve noticed a huge improvement in overall frame rates and smoothness, even at full 1080p res, plus peripheral input lag virtually gone.

Anyone else?

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: FPS Improvement?

Soon as I get back to England im taking a Huey up over Normandy. Ohh yeah...

Tell me....

Does the spitfire still give you a full blackout if you breath slightly on the stick and use a gnats nadgers width of forward pitch?

Genuinely interested!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

For me - yes. I really had to S-curve the snot out of my X, Y, and Z axis to get some kind of controllability out of mild stick/rudder inputs. Any major inputs and you exceed your S-curve dial-down and enter the realm of exponential control surface deflection. Wheeeeee!!!

And the pitch control doesn’t feel right. Full downward pitch applied yet the I’m still fighting to keep the nose down.

By comparison, Blitz/BoX/A2A Spits all fly and trim “normally” on my system.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Actually seems a drop in FPS for me flying down low over towns. I have my settings ramped up mostly to max tho on my 1920x1080 27" monitor. My GTX 1070 gets pushed to it's limits including all of the 8Gb of VRAM being used. DCS is certainly resource intensive, it seems to me anyway. Servers can be slow to load...even Aussie servers. My guess is the level of detail in the maps...and the Normandy map is the smallest at 10GB (Nevada is 33GB), CloD Blitz whole game is less than 8GB. Maybe DCS is better optimized for Ultra High Def large screens at 144Hz or more being run by a GTX 1080Ti or better, dunno but it seems like DCS is really aimed at the hard core simmer who is prepared to splash the cash to fly it. And fair enuff, there are plenty who want that and are prepared to do the hard yards learning their way thru it all. I wish I had the time.
    The Spitfire is certainly needing some attention to it's axis inputs including trim axes. As u say, u are in for a surprise taking off without "tuned" axis S curves. But they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix bugs in the WW2 planes. The cockpit canopy reflections are still there when the canopy is open for crying out loud. Been like that for ages. Still, I do like the modelling on the planes. More high def than in CloD and BoX IMO. CloD cockpits are great but the external panels are better in DCS IMO whereas aircraft externals in CloD are more pixelly.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post