Thread: Monitor and TV recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Monitor and TV recommendations?

Hi Guys.

I’ve read many discussions about tv/monitor ideas, and I’m wondering about specific needs for CoD.

TVs and monitors have many options, such as 120Hz and 60Hz, 4K or 1080p.

My question is if this stuff matters.

I’m interested in a 55” curved 16:9 ratio. It’s hard wired to internet, so Smart technology isn’t important, but does this game support 4K, and do we really need 120Hz?

I’d hate to spend money where it’s not needed.

DRock

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Re: Monitor and TV recommendations?

The most important characteristik for me was 'input lag': https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post210853

3. Likes DRock, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Thanks, Artist.

Some great info in your links. Good info from Baffin, as well.

The RTINGS.COM site has really useful info when looking into TVs.

Thanks for the help, I’m closer to the right choice.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Hello there
    Myself and a few of my squadmates last year bought cheap 43 inch tv's from our local supermarket stores. Mine was from Tesco as was Mindles I think it cost me under £200 .It's just a bog standard cheap Chinese thing 60hz 1080 pi nothing fancy

Now then our thinking was this, the main game we play is Clod which as we all know is a WW2 flying combat SIM and one of the most important things in this type of SIM is seeing a contact from as far away as possible. If you can see the enemy before he sees you then you are at an advantage straight away and you can plan your next actions accordingly . So by using this cheap tv at 1920 x 1080 res I can see contacts at a fair old distance as opposed at using my all singing all dancing gaming monitor where the contacts don't appear untill half the distance or less.
    I also use reshade which for me enhances the contact spotting.
    So it's all about personal taste do you want to fly around with gorgeous graphics and not seeing contacts untill it's too late or can you live with Donkey Kong graphics but giving yourself a better chance of survival
    The above of course are just my humble mutterings and won't be to the taste of others hope this helps

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

6. Likes DRock, ATAG_Knight, Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    Hello there
    Myself and a few of my squadmates last year bought cheap 43 inch tv's from our local supermarket stores. Mine was from Tesco as was Mindles I think it cost me under £200 .It's just a bog standard cheap Chinese thing 60hz 1080 pi nothing fancy

Now then our thinking was this, the main game we play is Clod which as we all know is a WW2 flying combat SIM and one of the most important things in this type of SIM is seeing a contact from as far away as possible. If you can see the enemy before he sees you then you are at an advantage straight away and you can plan your next actions accordingly . So by using this cheap tv at 1920 x 1080 res I can see contacts at a fair old distance as opposed at using my all singing all dancing gaming monitor where the contacts don't appear untill half the distance or less.
    So it's all about personal taste do you want to fly around with gorgeous graphics and not seeing contacts untill it's too late or can you live with Donkey Kong graphics but giving yourself a better chance of survival
    The above of course are just my humble mutterings and won't be to the taste of others hope this helps

Hals und beinbruch
    Thanks for your input, Meyer.

I agree with your choice and why. I did the same thing. The last screen I was using was a $400 Sharp 42” 1080p, 60Hz. It actually had 120Hz, but I couldn’t get it to work because I think Windows 7 didn’t support it. Another good thing is that it had a 5ms input lag.
    It’s a good tv I would recommend if you go the JG52 route. I gave it to a friend of mine that just bought a new home. He’ll love it for tv and for games.

My idea was to go bigger, and I wanted a curved screen. 4K and Smart tech isn’t necessary, but it’s pretty much standard in these TVs. This is the one I’m leaning towards, which is similar to Baffin’s choice.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../12334060.aspx

8. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Regarding Baffin's choice...

About 15 months after purchase, which was a couple of years ago, my 55" Samsung began to insert "Black screens" intermittently whenever used at 4k resolution with YCbCr444 or RGB Unlimited Output color formats. (Required for best picture). I found that a lot of owners had been complaining of this defect. I became so frustrated that I accepted a pro-rated return from Samsung.

I replaced it with a 55" LG C7 OLED. The price was painful, but the performance is excellent, so that's my current recommendation. OLED screens are clearly superior.

Before buying, please check the most recent online list of complaints by current Samsung owners to see if they've corrected these deficiencies. (I suspect they have, or they wouldn't still be selling them). My curved screen Samsung was interesting, but in all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference during game play. I would not recommend paying extra for curved screen.

Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

10. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Regarding Baffin's choice...

About 15 months after purchase, which was a couple of years ago, my 55" Samsung began to insert "Black screens" intermittently whenever used at 4k resolution with YCbCr444 or RGB Unlimited Output color formats. (Required for best picture). I found that a lot of owners had been complaining of this defect. I became so frustrated that I accepted a pro-rated return from Samsung.

I replaced it with a 55" LG C7 OLED. The price was painful, but the performance is excellent, so that's my current recommendation. OLED screens are clearly superior.

Before buying, please check the most recent online list of complaints by current Samsung owners to see if they've corrected these deficiencies. (I suspect they have, or they wouldn't still be selling them). My curved screen Samsung was interesting, but in all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference during game play. I would not recommend paying extra for curved screen.

Hi, Baffin.

Just some quick research. It seems that many people have resolved that black screen problem by replacing their standard HDMI 1.4 cable with a new HDMI 2.0 cable. I know this doesn’t explain why yours worked for 15 months without problems.

I do appreciate the heads up, and will do more research on customer complaints.

Those OLED TVs may just blow my budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I used the finest HDMI 2 cable available... in fact it's the same one I'm using right now. I think that whole cable issue was a red herring put out there to confuse the issue. My unit was out of warranty when they agreed to refund most of the price and they wouldn't have done that had there not been a valid claim against their product.

I really suspect that the new models have resolved the problem anyway, else you would read lots of criticism on the web. There are just too many satisfied Samsung customers out there to believe otherwise.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

13. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Well, after spending a few hours on Consumer Affairs.com, I have lost all hope for humanity and TVs.

I’ve decided to get an Etch-a-Sketch instead.lol

All jokes aside, Samsung is still rated the best for money’s worth and less problematic. Since people are more likely to write a review based on negative experiences than positive, I suspect that if everyone was forced to write a review, most would be good. Sometimes, luck just plays a part, and you end up with no problems at all.

The LG TVs are definitely good quality for the money. The OLEDs are at the top of the game right now, but you will pay for it. I was happy with my 42” LG, which is about 5-6 years old and still works great. Another good thing about LG is the low response time and input lag. Good for any gamer, and plenty for CoD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Well, after spending a few hours on Consumer Affairs.com, I have lost all hope for humanity and TVs.

I’ve decided to get an Etch-a-Sketch instead.lol

All jokes aside, Samsung is still rated the best for money’s worth and less problematic. Since people are more likely to write a review based on negative experiences than positive, I suspect that if everyone was forced to write a review, most would be good. Sometimes, luck just plays a part, and you end up with no problems at all.

The LG TVs are definitely good quality for the money. The OLEDs are at the top of the game right now, but you will pay for it. I was happy with my 42” LG, which is about 5-6 years old and still works great. Another good thing about LG is the low response time and input lag. Good for any gamer, and plenty for CoD.
    I have an LG monitor. Its superb. Best ive ever had.

I had an LG phone. Its was very good as it goes. Then broke. LG customer service was the absolute worst i have ever experienced.

The sent it back not working three times and on the fourth they had actualky broken the edge of the screen.

They then claimed that i had sabotaged the phone in order to get a refund.

All i wanted was it back fixed.!

So...... never again basically. Total a holes.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

16. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    I have an LG monitor. Its superb. Best ive ever had.

I had an LG phone. Its was very good as it goes. Then broke. LG customer service was the absolute worst i have ever experienced.

The sent it back not working three times and on the fourth they had actualky broken the edge of the screen.

They then claimed that i had sabotaged the phone in order to get a refund.

All i wanted was it back fixed.!

So...... never again basically. Total a holes.
    Sorry to hear you sabotage phones, Seas. ; )

If I was to make a decision based on other people’s bad experiences, no brand would be good enough. Just spend some time on that Consumer Affairs site. The best we can do is identify a specific problem and avoid it. As far as boycotting a company because of a bad experience, that will leave you with no options. Your LG experience is an example of this. If customer support sucks, that sticks with you, as well.

So, I took the plunge, and bought the Samsung I was leaning towards. This pretty much completes my cockpit upgrades. New Crosswind pedals, Corsair headset, gamer chair, SSD, and I will be building a new desk to fit everything. I should be flying again within two weeks.

Thanks again for all the info and opinions, Guys. Much appreciated.

I miss flying and chatting with all of you.

DRock 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

haha !

yeah...

I'm a propper "Phone Wrecker and Heart Breaker"

I should probably be ashamed... but... you know us bad boys...

pffffff !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

19. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    I really suspect that the new models have resolved the problem anyway, else you would read lots of criticism on the web. There are just too many satisfied Samsung customers out there to believe otherwise.
    I heeded your warning, and bought a four year warranty and made sure it would cover this issue.

Thanks again for the heads up, Fidget. I look forward to flying with you again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    Hello there

Meyer may I ask what Reshade settings you use to enhance contacts? I'm using it at present for the sky debanding only. Thanks in advance.
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR