Thread: Any Pilots Based in Southeast Asia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Any Pilots Based in Southeast Asia?

Hi All,

It's been a while since I flew in the servers - I miss you all! I've just had a lot of things going on in life, so I haven't had a chance to plug in. I hope to see you all again soon.

Anyway, part of the "lot of things going on in life" is that I'm relocating to Vietnam at the end of this year for work. I'm currently based in Boston in the US, so I've been enjoying my low ping and fast connection. However, I was wondering if any of you are based somewhere in Southeast Asia and would be willing to share your experience connecting to the server. Is the game playable? Do you think there are differences in your play style that you've had to make compared to others who are blessed with better connection? Do you see more rubber banding?

Just curious! I hope it's playable enough such that I won't get frustrated in a multiplayer setting. What makes this game so amazing is the community, and I'd hate to miss out and focus on single player.

Cheers,
    SharkBait
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

2. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Any Pilots Based in Southeast Asia?

Well if you go by the BBC News definition of Asia, which is anywhere from the Pacific to Pakistan, then yes I am based in Southeast Asia

I have a ping that is usually between 220-230 and I see very little rubberbanding on my end in Cliffs, even if flying with others with similar or higher pings.
    I looked at a website that gave ping RTT for different places around the world, according to them Vietnam to Chicago (where the ATAG server is based) is about 255ms. That may be a little higher due to local factors but you should be fine. I think anything over about 300 and it starts to get noticeable with warping. Interestingly enough your ping to any servers based in Russia (thinking about BoX here) will probably be better than to those based in the US.

Looking forward to seeing you back up

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    Well if you go by the BBC News definition of Asia, which is anywhere from the Pacific to Pakistan, then yes I am based in Southeast Asia

I have a ping that is usually between 220-230 and I see very little rubberbanding on my end in Cliffs, even if flying with others with similar or higher pings.
    I looked at a website that gave ping RTT for different places around the world, according to them Vietnam to Chicago (where the ATAG server is based) is about 255ms. That may be a little higher due to local factors but you should be fine. I think anything over about 300 and it starts to get noticeable with warping. Interestingly enough your ping to any servers based in Russia (thinking about BoX here) will probably be better than to those based in the US.

Looking forward to seeing you back up
    Thanks for your perspective, Kiwi! Glad I'll be more in sync with your time zone. Hopefully that means I'll be seeing you more often (during sensible hours)!
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

My last trip to SE Asia. Just sayin'
    THAILAND JUSMAGTHAI 019a.jpg

THAILAND JUSMAGTHAI 019.jpg
    Last edited by SIA_Sp00k; Nov-16-2018 at 17:11.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

6. Likes ATAG_Torian, Silent135, SharkBait, 1lokos liked this post
    Dislikes darkside3/4 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

2 years or so ago when I lived in a very remote part of Australia I had a connection that consisted of about 2.5km of copper wire phone line to the local Telephone exchange where it was then connected to fibre (ADSL 2 connection). The fibre then ran about 4900km/3000miles on a convoluted route to Sydney and then to the world. My ping to the ATAG servers was routinely over 300ms. It was very playable and there was little in the way of noticeable lag or rubber banding. I'm no expert but I find CloD and the ATAG servers to be far more optimised in internet connectability and stability than either BoX or DCS, at this time anyway. As well, I think combat flight sims are not like first person shooters where twitch reflexes and every millisecond counts. Movements in flight are more considered and take time to execute, even in a furball. Your time zone will be the same as Perth in Western Australia which is currently 3 hours behind Sydney time (Perth is not on Daylight Saving Time, Sydney is).
    Be interesting to see what sort of connection u get in Vietnam tho. All the best with the move.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

8. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    My last trip to SE Asia. Just sayin'
    THAILAND JUSMAGTHAI 019a.jpg

THAILAND JUSMAGTHAI 019.jpg
    Hahaha, if I miss you from your dead 6 o'clock, you know what happened... (:

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torian View Post
    2 years or so ago when I lived in a very remote part of Australia I had a connection that consisted of about 2.5km of copper wire phone line to the local Telephone exchange where it was then connected to fibre (ADSL 2 connection). The fibre then ran about 4900km/3000miles on a convoluted route to Sydney and then to the world. My ping to the ATAG servers was routinely over 300ms. It was very playable and there was little in the way of noticeable lag or rubber banding. I'm no expert but I find CloD and the ATAG servers to be far more optimised in internet connectability and stability than either BoX or DCS, at this time anyway. As well, I think combat flight sims are not like first person shooters where twitch reflexes and every millisecond counts. Movements in flight are more considered and take time to execute, even in a furball. Your time zone will be the same as Perth in Western Australia which is currently 3 hours behind Sydney time (Perth is not on Daylight Saving Time, Sydney is).
    Be interesting to see what sort of connection u get in Vietnam tho. All the best with the move.
    Torian, thanks for sharing. Good to hear that the game was playable even with such high ping. Even if aircraft won't warp much, I wonder if I'll still need to re-learn how to shoot (e.g., maybe I'll need to pull more lead with higher ping?). And thanks for the well-wishes! Looking forward to being in sync with those in Australia and New Zealand.