Thread: Positive Thoughts on TWC Campaign Server

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Positive Thoughts on TWC Campaign Server

After a couple months of being away from flight simming due to time constraints, I was able to finally try out the TWC Campaign server. In the spirit of expressing my gratitude to the TWC team and providing positive reinforcement, below are some things about the TWC Campaign that I’ve really enjoyed so far. I should mention that I’ve only flown fighters, so that is the lens I’m looking through.

Before I go on, please note that I do not mean any of the below at ATAG’s expense – as I’m sure people who I fly with regularly would know, I love this community to death and look forward to ATAG’s server filling up again – and I appreciate all the hard work the ATAG team is putting in day in and day out to maintain and improve the server.

• Life and Rank: My favorite feature in the TWC Campaign is the importance of your (virtual) life. I love that there is a sense of advancing in your “career” through ranking up by surviving sorties and shooting down enemy aircraft. In my opinion, the server provides a healthy incentive to survive (discussed in more detail below), and I’ve seen the effect of this in the few flights I’ve flown. I’m generally a risk-averse pilot, but I found it even more exhilarating when I found myself in danger. Close calls really gave me the sweats, as dying or being captured would not just mean I need to take off again from the nearest airfield, but it would also mean I lose a lot of other things. I also saw that enemy pilots are behaving in a more rational way as well – in ways that I think better reflect the behavior of real life fighter pilots (e.g., actually disengaging, not chasing a bogey on the deck deep into enemy territory, etc.).
    • Stats: I really appreciate the level of detail that the stats go into, and that they are “reset” (to a certain extent) when a virtual pilot dies or is captured for the rest of the war – it adds to the sting of dying, at least for me. I also like that the stats report data for bombing missions, which I would guess that others who like to do ground attacks appreciate more than I do.
    • Aircraft Supply / R&R: This is tied to rank, but I’ve been enjoying having to fly an E-3 as I work my way up to the 10 odd kills I need to unlock the E-4/N model. I think it has helped diversify the types of planes in the air, which I appreciate and enjoy. It also adds an incentive to stay alive, which I think is helpful in a virtual setting. I haven’t felt the pain of this yet, but I think the aircraft supply concept is interesting. There seems to be a lot of E-3 models available, so maybe the constraint is not as meaningful, but perhaps the limited supply of planes would really come into play when I’m able to take out an E-4/N and find out there are only a handful of them left. It really adds to the immersion and helps me grow attached to my rig. The R&R system to replenish the aircraft you bring back also adds to the immersion.
    • AI Planes: I like having more targets to shoot at when there are not many people online. I also like that bombing missions are scripted.

I recognize that the server caters to a specific audience who share similar views on what is fun. So I’m sure there are differences in opinions out there – but the above are things that I personally enjoyed.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the skies!
    Last edited by SharkBait; Nov-27-2018 at 20:41.
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5