Thread: German on driving in America

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

German on driving in America

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Re: German on driving in America

Yep...Just about hit a guy last night at 1:30 am. He was pulling out from the airport onto the highway couldn't wait two seconds for me to go by or he didn't even bother to look, had to slam on the brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I love driving in the USA...When you have driven around Europe on both sides of the road with manual (stick shift) gears the USA is a breeze...I can drive 200 miles in the UK and need to lie down for 8 hours...I can drive all day in the USA and be ready for a burger and then carry on driving again...There's no stress!...The wife and I did 5000 miles in the USA (and that included driving around New York and LA) in 2 weeks coast to coast...Came home and the drive from London to Sheffield (160 miles) totally knackered me...lol...That's no joke...A touring holiday in the US is a great holiday to me and the wife...I could do it again tomorrow and love it!

By the way the worst drivers in West Europe seem to be the Italians...They make great cars but can't a seem to drive them...I have driven to Naples and Rome from the UK a few times and have never been to Italy and NOT seen either an accident or the aftermath of one...You come down from the Swiss alps and cross the border and its almost instant the beeping and flashing of lights...Its chaos...My wife helps me with the driving in Europe but there's no way I let her drive in Italy...Sorry Italy...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Nov-29-2018 at 12:09.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

4. Likes ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Have driven a motorcycle in the US many many times... much the same as Canada. Less respect for motorcycles, but as long as you drive defensively you are normally ok.

Mexico and Central America much more dangerous... bad roads at times, drivers who don't respect bikes at all. India is crazy... gotta be focused 100% of the time... but I love the Himalayas.

Question for those Europeans:

Thinking about doing a tour around Europe... maybe this summer after we get finished TOBRUK... Route likely: Britain... France... Italy... former Yugoslavian countries... Austria...Czech and Slovakian Republics... Hungary... Romania.

What are the countries to avoid for a motorcycle driver?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

That would be a blast.

I love motorbikes, just about as much a I love air planes.

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Thinking about doing a tour around Europe... maybe this summer after we get finished TOBRUK... Route likely: Britain... France... Italy... former Yugoslavian countries... Austria...Czech and Slovakian Republics... Hungary... Romania.

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs, Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Have driven a motorcycle in the US many many times... much the same as Canada. Less respect for motorcycles, but as long as you drive defensively you are normally ok.

Mexico and Central America much more dangerous... bad roads at times, drivers who don't respect bikes at all. India is crazy... gotta be focused 100% of the time... but I love the Himalayas.

Question for those Europeans:

Thanks
    Austria is one you definitely shouldn't avoid , good country to live in.
    Croatia is a country to bike aswell, lots of bikers and twisting roads if you are interested in that. It's got beautiful view on the sea, but the beach is stony there.
    Be very careful with the speed limit if you ever hit Switzerland.

9. Likes ATAG_yotheguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    I love driving in the USA...When you have driven around Europe on both sides of the road with manual (stick shift) gears the USA is a breeze...I can drive 200 miles in the UK and need to lie down for 8 hours...I can drive all day in the USA and be ready for a burger and then carry on driving again...There's no stress!...The wife and I did 5000 miles in the USA (and that included driving around New York and LA) in 2 weeks coast to coast...Came home and the drive from London to Sheffield (160 miles) totally knackered me...lol...That's no joke...A touring holiday in the US is a great holiday to me and the wife...I could do it again tomorrow and love it!

By the way the worst drivers in West Europe seem to be the Italians...They make great cars but can't a seem to drive them...I have driven to Naples and Rome from the UK a few times and have never been to Italy and NOT seen either an accident or the aftermath of one...You come down from the Swiss alps and cross the border and its almost instant the beeping and flashing of lights...Its chaos...My wife helps me with the driving in Europe but there's no way I let her drive in Italy...Sorry Italy...
    I have only driven abroad once, back in 2000 we done the whole Orlando, Disney thing when our daughter was younger.

I have to say that it wasn't something that I enjoyed doing, or was particularly comfortable with.

Driving on the right, trying to navigate on roads I wasn't familiar with ( Those of you who have flown with me on the server know what I am like at navigating...lol ) and trying to remember the differences between UK / US traffic laws all added to the stress levels

So.... since then I have always made sure that someone else does any driving when we go abroad, usually it's in a coach, and yes Lewis, I agree with you about drivers in Italy

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Thanks
    Well, if you find yourself in the Netherlands, stay away from the Randstad area (basically the roads between Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Almere, Utrecht and Dordrecht), especially in rush hour times
    Sure, there are many places to visit there, but if it's about driving, being between/in the country's central employment cities is the last place you want to find yourself in
    The roads are great though, but there's an on/offramp every 3 meters (so if you miss one, the next one will come along soon enough)
    and there are enough speedtraps (static and patrolled/indicated and hidden) to incite a revolution

Also don't believe the usual Max. speed sign you see entering the country

You'll find that

First:
    in city limits there are 30, 50km/h limits (any higher indicated limit IS a B or Auto road that happens to lie withing the city)
    Second:
    On B roads there is everything between 50 and 100km/h (max is 80, unless there is a green painted line -so NOT grass!- between the opposite lanes, then you can drive 100km/h
    Third:
    on Auto roads, the same applies as B roads except you won't find a green painted line since there are no opposite lanes next to each other
    Fourth:
    On Highways anything between 80 and 130
    These ARE indicated though, so you're gonna see 30, 60, 70, 90, 120km/h signs on the various roads where you expected to be allowed to go faster
    Also, on the highways, you might find an exception sign under the indicated maximum, which reads "6-19h"
    It is pretty self explanatory: the indicated speed lasts from 6 in the morning to 7 in the evening, outside those hours the highest maximum speed on Dutch highways applies (130 km/h)
    Problem is that many Dutch folk don't (want to) understand it, and you'll find snails going 100-120km/ hour on the left lane(s) outside those hours

....confused yet?

Also, don't go tailgating
    Now, I'm of the opinion that, if people just step on the gas or ******* off the left lane, this would not be an issue, but alas, our police has it as an agenda point from the Justice department
    instead of fining the tortoise to not hamper the people that DO drive the maximum speed
    you'll be paying up to €280 depending on the fact if the policeofficer had some quality time with his wife the evening before, that's paying On the spot since you're a tourist, I might add!
    Oh, and passing on the right when there are stripes (instead block markers) on the road, is around €240 fine (this does NOT apply when in congested traffic btw)

One advantage for motorcycles here, passing between lanes is totally legal in the Netherlands, between the leftmost lane and the one next to it, in traffic below 50km/h and as long as it's an interrupted striped line between lanes, so gridlock isn't that debilitating
    That doesn't mean that you don't have to watch for blind motorists switching lanes all of a sudden
    Also what is 'ALLOWED' (though not 'legal'), is parking your bike on the sidewalk, as long as it doesn't hamper anyone/thing (and I suggest you always do this, since getting your bike knocked over by some blind dingbat trying to quickly
    take that last "empty" parking spot, isn't uncommon)

Many Dutch drivers confuse the 2, and think it is LEGAL to park on the sidewalk, but only ALLOWED to pass between lanes
    So if you do happen to find yourself in an accident between lanes, expect a heated discussion with the 'self-proclaimed victim' who is convinced he's not gonna lose his no-claim
    Last edited by Nightdare; Dec-01-2018 at 12:11.
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    38.21 MB

When I was stationed in Puerto Rico I was told that the one being passed had to yield to the one passing, any collision resulting from a passing situation the passing car would be faultless.
    Funny place. A territory of the US but in order for a US citizen, resident outside of PR, to legally drive on their roads you had to surrender your home state's license and get a PR drivers license. RI on the other hand had issued me a license good as valid as I was on active duty.

I've been told Germany's road system is much better than ours. One reason is, the road work isn't given to the lowest bidder or goombas. So the work lasts longer. In RI (the smallest state in the union) it seemed they'd start working on Rt 95 at one end and by the time they got to the other end they'd have to start again at the beginning.
    A favorite of my friends stationed in Germany was the speed limit, or lack of one.
    AKA Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

I’ve been to Britain several times, and driving was always an experience. One, look out for, and get out of the way of, the white vans. Two, every time I came up to a circular intersection, I had to repeat, out loud, to myself, “go left, go left”.

Other than that, a great country.
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

as a canadian in the US (so california ) it is very easy to drive but the volume of cars means it takes forever to get anywhere. I drove in New Zealand in sept. right side drive and traffic circles were a test, after and hour or so it was ok. im just not sure what lane to be in in a circle, there seems to be 2. I juts stayed in the outer for a quick exit. i doubt i could do a standard right hand drive, too strange. signal and wipers are reversed also that takes months to get back to normal for me.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Target View Post
    A favorite of my friends stationed in Germany was the speed limit, or lack of one.
    Well, the lack of speed limits makes car driving over here so extremely exhausting. Even with 100 mph (160 Km/h) you are comparatively slow for the left lane. Chances are high someone is coming from behind at 200+ km/h at the speedmeter. So if you drive on the left lane you better scanning persistently for gaps between the cars of the middle lane. Esp at night one have to be always on "yellow alert" so to speak. I've seen so many idiots driving at 230+ km/h at night or even in rain. This "no speedlimit" on German autobahn is a myth anyway. Only 20 % are without any limits. BTW There is a "recommended speed" at the autobahn of 130 km/h. You are allowed to go faster but if you do so and you are involved in an accident you get some of the blame - even the accident wasn't your fault at all...

cheers Henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

One of my crazier memories commuting to work in Botswana was going head-on on my moto towards the presidential motorcade. They speed the opposite way on both lanes to clear the road. Most of my trip was on bush roads but that small paved section was deadly!

Somewhat like dis!

17. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Yeah, rush hour can be hell!
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Irland.jpg

Speed limit in Ireland....
    (seen on a walk on Dursey Island this spring)
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

21. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    One of my crazier memories commuting to work in Botswana was going head-on on my moto towards the presidential motorcade. They speed the opposite way on both lanes to clear the road. Most of my trip was on bush roads but that small paved section was deadly!

Somewhat like dis!
    Here in Southern Africa the 'rules of the road' are a mere suggestion, and a poor one at that.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

23. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Irland.jpg

Speed limit in Ireland....
    (seen on a walk on Dursey Island this spring)
    Surley you can see its a dual carriageway