Thread: Player Reports on ATAG 1 Server Stress Test

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Player Reports on ATAG 1 Server Stress Test

Thanks again to all who participated in the Server Stress Test.

We got nearly 90 players online and at one point had an additional 160 AI aircraft flying... and were able to gather valuable data.

It seems at this point performance issues began to appear when the number of total aircraft reached approx. 180-200.

Anyone who would like to comment on their experiences and when they started to notice issues, please post here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Re: Player Reports on ATAG 1 Server Stress Test

This screenshot was made in the final moment, just before Artist shut down the server (I'm playing on 1080 HD). Atm I didn't noticed much players around me though.
    I had quite smooth and stable fps up in the air, it was around 70 over the airfield. The initial fps was around 180 in the air, so the fps hit was visible, but still remained good.

I saw planes lagging, rubber banding, but perhaps they had much less fps.

Some of my squad mate reported low and lot of lag especially at the end. 15-20 fps over the airfield. They have quite older PC than me.

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.08 - 21.10.50.32.jpg

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

3. Likes Artist liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

From UK with ~130ms ping.

No problems here at all until the AI really started piling in. Game was showing me ~80 players and 70 AI (from memory) when the stuttering and low fps started. Left server but was unable to re-join after 19:58 GMT.
    Last edited by ATAG_Septic; Dec-08-2018 at 18:09.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

5. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

I experienced some issues earlier than a lot of folks did, well before it was up to 200 planes (AI & human). I recorded a video and added comments to it that I hope might help with netcode modifications: https://youtu.be/n4NOiMHvN6M

Thanks Team Fusion!

7. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Gutted i missed it. I did have a good evening though none the less...

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

For the next test, might have to remind everyone to set their Network back to LAN.... Just a thought.

My frames didn't drop below 70fps... but most times I was either high (20+k) or South chasing bombers.. Good to see no crashes..

Thanks TF..

10. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Septic View Post
    No problems here at all until the AI really started piling in.
    Same here. Though, even at the beginning with low AI numbers I noticed one or two times rubber-banding right at the moment new AI aircraft spawned in.

Later there was a remarkable drop in fps. Not sure but it seemed that especially the main combat area at Bembridge was affected. Only a gut feelings but it seemed that the performance decrease still occured when there again were rather calm moments in this area. Might this be a result of cut off plane pieces still hanging in the air..?
    Following a bomber formation heading west only some few kilometers and the fps improved again.

Trying to join about 10 minutes before server restart it took a mate about 3-5 minutes to be able to connect and select the flag.

12. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Started seeing slight framedrops around 120-150 planes total (FPS dropping by around 20, then by around 50, from a baseline of about an average of 120 fps) then when the planes hit over 150 my fps was down to around 60. At around 180 planes I witnessed a lot of warping (planes going sideways and stuff then "warping" back into the correct position.) I was in the gunner of Ribbs' 110 and from my point of view the plane warped backwards and sideways down to the ground, underneath the ground, back above for a bit, under the ocean, at about 500 mph, lasting maybe 3-5 minutes, then warped back up 10000 ft and 20 miles over to the right place in about 1 second. Frames were getting really low as well, I hit single digits at one or two points and with 180 planes on I was rarely getting above 30. I had another serious warp, this time going sideways and upwards, venting engines looking like space shuttle boosters as I climbed to the stratosphere (probably 8 or 9 km up) before exploding because Ribbs (in the "real" plane) had crashed. Apparently I witnessed the explosion a fair bit later than Ribbs did.

150-180 planes was about when stuff seemed to start getting bad, 180 was basically the threshold for playable or not. 150 was rough but still manageable with less fps. 180 was bad. 200 was a glitchfest and a half.

Glad to see that TF got some good data though!

14. Likes Artist liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I'm on an old machine. Though it does have an 8 core 4 GHz. My internet connection is not that great either (ping is usually 70-300), but it seemed to do fine.

-Normal FPS until near formations. The fps drops came in distinct steps (LODs?). Drops would come in and out, sometimes hitting 2 fps as others noted.
    -Other applications, like Teamspeak or OBS recording didn't skip a beat.
    -Spawning back at Upavon instantly brought FPS to normal.
    -Some of us saw the normal micro-stutters when new aircraft where introduced. I usually get them anyway when someone is shot down (or the upper left text annunciations occur) or when spawns appear on a sparse server. All normal.
    -Response changing positions to gunner/bombardier, etc was very crisp, even during the fps drop phases. Almost better than usual. If server health is bad or is about to crash, sometimes the switch to tailgunner/bombardier lags.
    -When others said they had a server crash or were flying under the sea, the position changes, as well as Tab-7-1 worked fine.
    -When my connection is bad, bullets fail to produce damage sometimes. Even with fps lag, my shots hit fine.

Almost feels like a 500ms calculation loop, and the screen refresh is part of it. Everything is running fine in the background, but the additional calculations are waiting their turn in the buffer.

16. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

A big Thank You to the more than 80 players who joined us tonight: Thank you very, very much!

It helped us to be sure about the cause of the crashes of the last test on Nov, 17th and to find where the various limits are.

And an additional Thank You for the detailed reports in this thread!

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Stormrider, QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Hello everyone.

For me test was smooth all the time. My spec Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 16Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), GTX 660 2Gb
    Look to my video card. It is a dinosaur, but I got stable FPS 33-45 most of the test time. For me it is very good
    Only once it was 25fps when I dive on the last group of >30 planes in same place. And them all shooting many tracers.

However, my friend had GTX1080, and closer to the end of test got only 18-22fps. His processor is i7-4770k.
    Looks like the game is too much processor dependent and work better only on intel processor models starting from Skylake.

Also I saw many parts, stuck on the sky. On the video one of them.

Last edited by Rostic; Dec-09-2018 at 05:24.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

20. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    150-180 planes was about when stuff seemed to start getting bad, 180 was basically the threshold for playable or not. 150 was rough but still manageable with less fps. 180 was bad. 200 was a glitchfest and a half
    Sums it up well. Near the end my fps dropped to 30-40 even though I have a high-end machine

i5-8600K
    Gainward GTX1080 GS 8GB
    WD 1TB M.2 SSD
    16GB DDR4 (1333 MHz)

22. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

I'm wondering how much of Flares lag was due to him flying in the back of my 110. While he was orbiting the Isle of White, I rarely seeing anything strange going on. I'm running an I5 4670 with 16gb ram and a GTX 1080. I did have my network set to lan from the beginning. I feel switching it mid stream would cause problems like in Creeps video..until the packets sorted themselves out. If that's possible on the fly. I don't know. The test was almost flawless for me..not seeing much rubber banding or warping till the plane count was well over 200. Maybe a test where we all run the same network settings before it starts.. and then have a select few run " other" settings..to see if they have a different experience? Maybe that's asking too much..but I think if we could pull it off it would be valuable data. Just a thought. Even if it was a smaller human group..and adding bombers in till u hit the threshold.
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Dec-09-2018 at 12:52.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

24. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Was an interesting test last night. A shame we didn't quite get the numbers we had in the last one, but the server held up much, much better. Good work on the changes you've already made.

I was in and flying from start to finish, both high up shooting the bombers and low, tangling over the IoW. I only started having issues towards the bitter end when you were going for broke with the AI. Steady ping of ~130, which is what I'd normally expect. Some of my squadmates started reporting problems with rubber banding and warping from about the 100 AI plane mark onwards, but I didn't notice anything until about, I'd guess, 150 and then I started getting a small amount.

Didn't record my FPS, but went by the rule of feel. The game played and felt smooth right up until about the last 20 or so planes, then I noticed a small amount of stuttering between frames.

i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX1060 3GB

26. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Things got pretty slide-show for me towards the end. I don't have a high end machine like Karaya but normally it handles Cliffs of Dover great.
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Dec-09-2018 at 13:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Hey Rich..what are your computer specs?
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    Hey Rich..what are your computer specs?
    Asus P6TD Deluxe
    I7 975
    MSI GE Force 1060 6 gig
    16 gigs DDR3 crucial ram
    windows 7 home edition

All was good until all of the AI started to swarm over the Isle of White, then it got hairy. I don't think I'll have a problem on a normal ATAG or TWC server. One question. What setting should the network be on ingame? LAN?
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Dec-09-2018 at 14:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

I took some video, but my After Effects is not working and don't have time to find out why.

First few loads of bombers and all I saw was a lower FPS while flying right in with them.
    Sever_Test_01.jpg

I noticed the FPS was much lower on the air field with all the flak going off.
    Sever_Test_02.jpg

First time I noticed any rubber banding.
    Sever_Test_03.jpg

Then right after that when some more bomber where added is when it went south.
    Sever_Test_04.jpg

Thank's to all that came to help.

[Edit] PC Spec's

Win 7

i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz

16GB DDR3

GTX 1060 6GB
    Last edited by ATAG_yotheguy; Dec-09-2018 at 17:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Yes same kind of thing with me. Although it took a while for me to get down to the scrum because I took off from the French point area where the frames were probably around 60 fps...I'll go through the video

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_yotheguy View Post
    I took some video, but my After Effects is not working and don't have time to find out why.

First few loads of bombers and all I saw was a lower FPS while flying right in with them.
    Sever_Test_01.jpg

I noticed the FPS was much lower on the air field with all the flak going off.
    Sever_Test_02.jpg

First time I noticed any rubber banding.
    Sever_Test_03.jpg

Then right after that when some more bomber where added is when it went south.
    Sever_Test_04.jpg

Thank's to all that came to help.

[Edit] PC Spec's

Win 7

i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz

16GB DDR3

GTX 1060 6GB
    Well , with some one that caches a lot of giff works I wonder why? you might want to look for a virus.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||