Thread: Home built PC - be interested in advice/suggestions etc

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Home built PC - be interested in advice/suggestions etc

Hi everyone,

My youngest son (15) and i are aiming to build him a gaming PC in the next little while. It will be a learning experience for both of us so I am approaching it cautiously. Thus far I've asked him to research what he thinks he needs and what his requirements are as well as specifying some system builds and i'd be very appreciative of any advice from the IT savvy member of this forum if you have a few spare minutes.

Requirement - applications
    Games, Potentially VR, Potentially Coding

Requirement - games
    CoD bo4, Crew 2, Beat Saber (VR), Forza Horizon 3 (no flight sims - yet...)

Requirement - time horizon
    5-7 Years but upgrades/replacements can keep it lasting for longer

Spec lists - i asked him to come up with 3 different builds and here they are

spec list_dec_18_1.png

spec list_dec_18.png

spec list_dec_18_3.png

I'd be very appreciative of any advice / thoughts on these builds. Especially keen to make sure they are all compatible etc and things like power budgets and cooling budgets are all OK with the identified sub-systems etc.

And lastly for the Aussie - has anyone had any and dealings with U-Mart re parts/service/advice etc?

Thanks everyone - if this goes well then i might look to build my own down track hence why I'm interested in learning how to do this properly.

Thanks

Ezzie

2. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    62.85 MB

Re: Home built PC - be interested in advice/suggestions etc

Hi Ezzie

I have dealt with U Mart Milton Brisbane for the past 15 years- they are by far the cheapest on the East Coast
    I have had 3 systems built by U Mart Milton - I usually do my own research then ask the Tec guys if everything is compatible -if not Iam guided by their advice There advice is usually great.

Cheers Soldat

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

Hi Ezzie

I use Umart a lot. They are fine, but can be a little slow with pre-orders or telling you that it is delayed... But I guess that is most companies these days..yes, grump old man.. I have never taken anything back, so I have been lucky.

I also use pc case gear (no commission for me.. ) for mail order only. They are more expensive, but they have a larger variety, so if you are after a particular item they may have it.

I am no AMD expert, so you are on your own with that one. Not that they are bad, it is just I have been sticking with intel for a while now. I guess because of the exposure in the early years of Cyrix, Winchip, AMD and Intel.

I have just built a new machine, and have gone back to Very Large Air-cooled unit for the cpu. Two reasons, 1:- I didn't t noticed any temperature difference when I swapped to a water cooled and then back...2: The Very Large air cool unit is quieter than my water cooled unit. After working on aircraft for many years, and therefore requiring 4 extra joints between my wrist and elbow, I have settled with large cases which can accommodate the larger air cooling units.

My Priories were..

Motherboard... This will last the life of the system.. 8+ years of updates if you choose a good one. Do these motherboards come with a built-in WiFi ?
    Power Supply. Modular style with removal cables, to keep everything neat.
    Case:- Easy to clean, open and the less lights the better.. ... showing my age..
    Hard Drive:- I went with a M.2 NVMe SSD.... these are fast.. about 2000 mb/sec (read) - 3000mb/sec (read). Be wary the small ones (256 mb )in this type can be slower..
    Memory:- Lots of it...
    Sound card:- didn't care, I used on-board... Head phones for me.. Keeps the missus happy. Worth testing the on-board first... it you don't like it, then update to a standalone card.
    CPU:- Faster the better.. Not too many games are good at scheduling on multi-cores.. i.e. Usually a Faster 4 core will beat a slower 6 core.. Well the in intel variety. Again, game dependant.
    Graphics Card:- Spend what you want to through away in 2 years.

Over the years the upgrades are usually the following..

Graphic Cards... every 18 months to 2 years..
    Memory... usually end up fully populated system.
    Hard Drives.. I don't think I will be changing the M.2 NVME's anytime soon. But the old system was size increases... then boom.. SSD!!
    Fans.. some wear out... usually in the power supply.

For my 8 year system, I never changed the Motherboard , CPU or Case.

Good luck.. and watch out for budget creep.. there is always something better..

Oh yeah... and invest in an anti-static mat.... if you don't have one. Jaycar sell them cheap...(again no commission)
    Last edited by gonk; Dec-21-2018 at 20:17.

5. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Hi Ezzie!

What's with the 2070 video card, connected to a 1920x1080 monitor? That's a lot of overkill to me. (I'm running a 1080ti on that resolution == overkill!)
    If you sure are you will go VR in the near future then maybe ... yeah. Well.

I'd never ever spend that kinda money on a keyboard/mouse ...

Sound card? Way too expensive me thinks. Better spend it on quality speakers or headset. Oh wait, there's nothing listed for that. You already got quality speakers/headset?

Wireless and Bluetooth on a gaming system? Hm, No. Well, not if you are into online gaming that is... maybe if your house is too big to cable it all up?

Compatibility? Leave that up to your supplier, as I do not think anyone here will ever be able to state "Yeah, that'll work out just fine ... no worries!"

Just my silly opinion ...

Why are you even posting this here, stating "(no flight sims - yet...)"?
    Apart from a proper CPU, a brilliant video card and TrackIR-good monitor/VR, flight sims are all about controllers, Joystick, Rudder Pedals, Throttle and lotsa buttons...

In the end, basically I'm stating the requirements for a gaming system for a 15 year old are probably a continent away from his dad contemplating simulated (combat)flight!

Do please wait for other to chime in... this post was typed up by a 'veteran' flightsim enthusiast, way back from like 'Chuck Yeagers Air Combat', using home-built rudder pedals, a lunch box based button box and heavily modified Microsoft ForceFeedback 2 Joystick...

I'm special!

Have Fun!

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

why spend so much on a gpu that will be out of date in a few years? i would just get a 1070 or 1080 and get a nicer monitor. same with the keyboard. id stick with intel too, i5 8600k i s more than enough. you really need a water cooler? air works just as good. good call ssd and hdd. what about speakers? 5.1? 7.1?
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Saipan; Dec-22-2018 at 00:30.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Would get the modular Corsair 750w over the 600w PSU.
    If budget allows fill all the RAM slots with 32GB. 16GB is good but 32 will future proof it.
    The 1080Ti cards are having frequent render issues in CloD (crayon reticles, low res rendering on wings n fuselage). If all u are running is a 24-27" single gaming monitor at 1920x1080 then a 1070 card will run anything u want at high specs with no render issues for less money. In 2 years there will b the next gen of cards to lust after anyway (and fwiw, I recommend EVGA cards).
    500GB SSD +2TB HDD is a better option than a 250GB +2TB HDD. (if u ever get DCS it uses 136GB alone)
    I would use Arctic Silver 5 or Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste rather than that cheap Coolermaster $3 one.
    A good CPU cooler like a Noctua air cooled heatsink and fan is a better set-and-forget option than a water cooler IMO.
    Don't get taken in by those expensive keyboards n mice with all their LED bling. A cheaper kb n gaming mouse will work just as well.
    Whatever ATX case u get do open it up every 6 months and air blast out all the dust especially from any heat sinks and fans. Bought a DataVac a couple of years ago ( https://www.bacs.com.au/shop/Product...roductid=69060 ) and it makes cleaning a PC a breeze (a very strong, concentrated breeze) as well a blowing up pools and pool toys for the grankids.

My 5c worth anyway.
    Last edited by ATAG_Torian; Dec-22-2018 at 02:04.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

9. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, Rostic, gonk, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

1) I was an AMD processor user, but now I'm with intel. Because intel has much better performance per single core. Also while I used AMD processor I saw too much software that tell me, that some features will not work, because they work only on intel processor.
    AMD ryzen processor have some problems with ddr4 ram working on frequencies higher then 2666mhz in some configurations. So check that motheboard support RAM kit that you select.
    2) Take m2 NVMe pciex ssd, they are much faster than SATA ssd. Better buy 500+Gb capacity disk. I have 240 and it is not enought.
    3) Are you sure that you need external sound card? I think motheboard with good builtin audio controller is enough.
    4) Now I have 27" monitor and I can say that i will never return to 24 or smaller. But 27" monitor must be with resolution WQHD 2560*1440 or higher.

Also you can see my, this year, computer configuration (only video card and hdd is not updated yet).
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 16Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4)

P. S. sorry for my English, not my native language.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

11. Likes Pans liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

I personally feel that the graphics card is the biggest headache for a new system build. The new 20 series simply just isn't worth it in terms of frames per $/£. Plus I'm not convinced the 2070 will ever have the capacity to run ray tracing at an acceptable frame rate. DLSS is interesting, would love to know what the uptake for that's going to end up like with game devs.

Air cooling is fine. I'm not at all convinced that closed water coolers really perform better to justify their extra cost. Noctua, be Quiet and plenty others offer decent CPU air cooling.

RAM speed too is more a benchmark thing, rather than real game performance. 16GB DDR4 2400MHz is a fair start.

A decent MoBo will have pretty good audio included.

I'd definitely go with a modular PSU. So much easier to cable manage.

I'd get a 512GB SSD. Go with a know brand and whatever's looking like a reasonable price. Regarding M.2 NVMe or SATA, it's pretty similar to RAM you can spend a shedload but real-life performance difference will be minimal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks everyone for the great info - much appreciated

We've adjusted the build spec accordingly (air cooled, no sound card, intel processor, different monitor, PSU, cheaper keyboard, etc) and the next step is to go visit U-Mart (thanks Soldat/Gonk) sometime soon.

re GPU - my son wanted a 1070 for all the reasons discussed by a few of you but its not available via U-Mart apparently and they only stock the 2070 or lower performing cards. Not sure if this is a ploy to get people to buy the 2070 but will discuss with them. We might end up getting the GPU elsewhere (perhaps pc case gear as suggested by Gonk).

Thanks again - another great advert for the friendliness/helpfulness (is this a word?) etc of these forums.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Mwave still showing the EVGA 1070 as in stock for $599 or for $300 more u can get the 2070.

https://www.mwave.com.au/graphics-ca...=1907%3Dseries
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.59 MB

For upgradability,
    I would stick with AMD. I am testing my budget rig with a Raven Ridge 2200g and am getting around 40 fps+ (GTX1080) at Calias/Le Harve low/deck altitude with everything to high setting, texture original, 2X in game anti_aliasing.
    Stick with RAM speed between 2999 and 3200 with the lowest possible latency, 14, 15 and 16. Ryzen CPU are nick picky about RAM speed.

(the 2600x price is already dropping like feather)
    https://www.microcenter.com/category...amd-processors

Better yet, third generation Ryzen is around the corner with improve IPC. (I'm aware of intel's highest, Instruction Per Clock speed and Heat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5Z113Nu1k

For Window OS, Please see the links
    1) https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...o+key&_sacat=0

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTqz3Fd28M
    Superposition_Benchmark 3.85Ghz 3200Mhz RAM spd.pngSuperposition_BenchMark 4 Ghz with 3200mhz RAM.png
    Last edited by Kwings714; Dec-24-2018 at 00:28.
    Weapons of choice
    MS Force Feedback 2, Saitek Rudder, Nvidia GTX 1080 (Reference Design), AMD Ryzen 2200g (3.95 Ghz OC Game Mode) Asrock B450 iTX/AC, 16G GSkill 3200 Mhz @14 CAS
    OpenTrack and DIY Head-Tracker (Wire) https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730 (Many thanks to OpenSource Contributer) 'S

16. Likes thee_oddball liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

For everyone saying that a water cooler isn't necessary...

One thing to consider is that a water-cooled system can be quieter than air. A Nice little AIO (all-in-one) cooler will keep temperatures respectable and keep the dB down, too. They also have the advantage over air cooling by not suffering anywhere near as much with fluff and dust accumulation.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Pans View Post
    For everyone saying that a water cooler isn't necessary...

One thing to consider is that a water-cooled system can be quieter than air. A Nice little AIO (all-in-one) cooler will keep temperatures respectable and keep the dB down, too. They also have the advantage over air cooling by not suffering anywhere near as much with fluff and dust accumulation.
    Air cooled don't have to be loud, my be Quiet Dark Rock is pretty silent. Still got the rad on air cooled for dust accumulation too. Worth checking out some reviews with comparisons to work out exactly what you're getting.

19. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

Ezzie, my housemate built a rig last year and dealt with pc case gear, no dramas at all with that company

21. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Sturm View Post
    Air cooled don't have to be loud, my be Quiet Dark Rock is pretty silent. Still got the rad on air cooled for dust accumulation too. Worth checking out some reviews with comparisons to work out exactly what you're getting.
    My previous rig had 4 be Quit case-fans and a Dark Rock cpu-fan it certainly did't produce more sound/noise.The only benifit I see in my new build with water-cooling is that there is more free space inside.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

pricey one first.
    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/frRBHh

$500 cheaper
    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MGVnq4

win10 $37 https://www.kinguin.net/category/221...-home-oem-key/

all prices are in Fosters drinking aus dollars
    “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    62.82 MB

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post

all prices are in Fosters drinking aus dollars
    Just a heads up... I don't know of anybody in Australia that drinks Fosters... well anybody who will admit to it.. LOL.

25. Likes thee_oddball liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

Ah Fosters ... The liquid Lifesaver. Notice Deal Pier as seen in Cliffs of Dover Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8BDNEdMaQ

27. Likes farley, thee_oddball liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by gonk View Post
    Just a heads up... I don't know of anybody in Australia that drinks Fosters... well anybody who will admit to it.. LOL.
    We all know what life is like down under, you have your mates over for a few drinks....next thing you know 4 hours have passed and the keg of fosters is empty and you and your girlfriend our on your way to pick up another....

“Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

29. Likes gonk liked this post
    Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post
    We all know what life is like down under, you have your mates over for a few drinks....next thing you know 4 hours have passed and the keg of fosters is empty and you and your girlfriend our on your way to pick up another....

great movie..aussies dont drink fosters though
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

31. Likes thee_oddball, gonk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Try MSY Ezzie, online and physical stores. I went top of the line. MSY was $1000.00 cheaper. Than anywhere else. Great service to.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

33. Likes ATAG_Torian, ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

I'll write all this out so you can compare.

Total Cost: $2.637.00

I was going to upgrade but then thought, screw it, any way you look at it, I was up for spending some moola, so just bought a new system. Couldn't have done this outside of MSY at the time, I looked for weeks. Maybe you can now, I couldn't then. MSY even threw in a $331.00 Corsair mechanical keyboard for nothing as they couldn't supply my original MSI 1080Ti request and could only supply a Duke 1080 Ti. Turns out the Duke has a better cooling system anyway so double win

The system for the above price. (incl $90.00 for them to build it in Sydney and ship to Canberra)

Intel (BX80684178700K) Core i7-8700K 3,.70Ghz12MB cache
    Corsair H110i (CW-90660026-WW) Universal Hydro High Perfornce Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z370 Taichi Intel Z370 S1151/4 x DDR4/3x PCIEx16/HDMI/DP/ATX Motherboard
    G Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) 16GB kit (8GBx2 DDR4 3200 Desktop Ram) *Changed this to 32Gb Kit before I left the shop - As I originally planned to buy the MSI 1080Ti but didnt get it, I still came inside budget at no expense to me*
    MSI Nvidea (GTX 1080ti) Gaming X 11G) 11GB GTX 1080 ti Gaming X PCI-E VGA Card* This changed to the Duke Geforce GTX 1080ti when shipped from Sydney. Again, less expensive option without any loss of performance or quality*
    Samsung 970 EVO (MZ-V7E500BW) 500GB M2 SSD Solid State Drive
    Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB (ST20000DM006) SATA 8 Gb/a 72090RPM 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive
    Corsair Carbide 500C Black (CC-9011081-WW)compact Mid Tower case without PSU
    Thermaltake (PS-JPD0650MPCGAU-1) Toughpower 950W 80+Gold Semi Modular PSU
    Microsoft OEM 64bnit MS Windows Home 10 DVD

After I got home I realised I had everything but a DVD Drive in it. Doh. Went back and bought an external DVD drive. Cost next to nothing.

Dont need all that for Blitz of course, but its bloody handy when playing FPS like Post Scriptum etc with everyting maxed out. Point of it, is that MSY is worth looking at. They will give you excellent walkin advice and even offer cheaper more affordable product without detriment if you tell them you are on a budget. I had never used them before but they have my future business. Their opening hours can be a little odd and they are busy as if you walk in, but its worth it to talk face to face with them about realistic options on your budget.

Good luck with it, it is as most of us and you already know, a daunting experience.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

35. Likes gonk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Sp00k - useful info and thanks for sharing. We are off to umart this morning so will see how they compare when we chat to them.

Ezzie

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ezzie did you see the links I put up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi thee_oddball,

Sorry - checked them out but forgot to reply to say thanks. Some good info.

We are just back from the store with a gaming system. Not really sure exactly what we ended up getting as we changed a few things based on availability and cost etc and advice from the store staff. My son is busy prepping his room while im watching australia do very poorly in the cricket. I expect we will start assembling very shortly...

Thanks for everyone's assistance. Much appreciated.

Ezzie

39. Likes gonk, ATAG_Soldat, thee_oddball, Silent135 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    1) I was an AMD processor user, but now I'm with intel. Because intel has much better performance per single core. Also while I used AMD processor I saw too much software that tell me, that some features will not work, because they work only on intel processor.
    AMD ryzen processor have some problems with ddr4 ram working on frequencies higher then 2666mhz in some configurations. So check that motheboard support RAM kit that you select.
    2) Take m2 NVMe pciex ssd, they are much faster than SATA ssd. Better buy 500+Gb capacity disk. I have 240 and it is not enought.
    3) Are you sure that you need external sound card? I think motheboard with good builtin audio controller is enough.
    4) Now I have 27" monitor and I can say that i will never return to 24 or smaller. But 27" monitor must be with resolution WQHD 2560*1440 or higher.

Also you can see my, this year, computer configuration (only video card and hdd is not updated yet).
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 16Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4)

P. S. sorry for my English, not my native language.
    I know this is an old topic. The memory compatibility has been improved greatly with the second generation Ryzen, once XMP is enabled in the BIOS. I've had no issue.
    Last edited by Kwings714; Jan-07-2019 at 08:50.
    Weapons of choice
    MS Force Feedback 2, Saitek Rudder, Nvidia GTX 1080 (Reference Design), AMD Ryzen 2200g (3.95 Ghz OC Game Mode) Asrock B450 iTX/AC, 16G GSkill 3200 Mhz @14 CAS
    OpenTrack and DIY Head-Tracker (Wire) https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=28730 (Many thanks to OpenSource Contributer) 'S