Thread: TFS Developer Update – December 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

TFS Developer Update – December 2018

Hello everybody,

Season's greetings and a very festive "Yo! Ho! Ho!" to you all. I can't believe we're almost at year end again. Does time accelerate as we get older? It certainly seems that way. There is quite a lot to cover this month so I'll get straight on with it.

Team
    We've had some new members join us recently. These are predominantly members with mission building skills who will be using their talents to develop single player missions. Other than that the team numbers remains stable and the motivation high. There are things going on (which I can only tell you about in the new year), which have got many of us, myself included, extremely excited.

Schedule
    Although things are ramping up it is inevitable that at this time of year there will be a natural pause. On the whole, the project maturity is a little short of where it was predicted to be at this point in time, mainly due to the complexities of the import process and the integration between modeller, coder and skin maker required.

Progress
    Map
    We gave you a sneak preview in the last update which illustrated one part of the map and the terrain elevations. Still lots going on - particularly in texture refinement since North Africa has a larger variety of terrain than some may think. Regrettably, from some of the feedback received, a few people didn't understand what we meant by "alpha" texture. To be clear on this, an "alpha" texture by our definition is a first pass texture which represents, roughly, the terrain texture. It has not undergone a detailed refinement (to look good at any altitude) and does not represent the final look.

Aircraft
    Are mostly complete and either imported or still in the import process, with the following exceptions still in the 3D modelling stage:

• Bf-110C Tropical versions (minor air intake changes)
    • Ju-87B Tropical version (minor air intake changes)
    • Ju-88A-4/A-5 including Tropical version.
    • Ju-88C-1/C-2/C-4/C-6 including Tropical version.
    • Heinkel He-111H-6
    • Macchi C-202 Series III and VIII
    • Wellington IC

Effects
    Audio work (alpha update) is in test. Visual effects are being further refined.

AI
    Alpha work has been in test for a while now. Mostly positive feedback but further refinements are necessary.

So now on with a few of your questions from across the different forums, which I've grouped as best I can. As always, forgive me for paraphrasing:

General
    Q1. Any idea on VR support?
    Yes technically it is possible, but only post v5.0. Our primary focus has to be on releasing v5.0 before we add new capability.

Q2. "Desert based Single Player campaigns". Will these campaigns be scripted? Is there going to be a real career mode similar to wings over the Reich or BoX, with newspaper, stats, units history, events etc?
    A. We will be adding single missions and dynamic campaigns.

Q3. Will there be campaigns (if scripted) for planes like Bf110 or Ju87?
    A. We are aiming to have campaigns for the major aircraft types.

Q4. Are you working on improving the graphic settings, e.g. anti-aliasing (MSAA and not FXAA which has a tendency to create lots of shimmering.)?
    A. Yes. It is something we are working on as part of game engine improvements.

Q5. Will some of the original issues and bugs with some of the instruments of the original Clod planes be fixed?
    A. All the bugs listed in the bugtracker are being looked at and addressed if at all possible. We would encourage all to use it to report bugs or feature requests.

Q6. Any plans to improve and simplify the interface, menu or in-game?
    Yes we will be making changes to the interface menus.

Q7. What is up with the textures of the Tobruk area in your last update?
    A. As stated, they are alpha textures, e.g. a first pass place holder on which to build and refine. The area in question was Derna. If you search for Derna, Libya on Google maps, and go to the satellite view, you will see the area we are showing in the map update.

Q8. BOS has implemented rain and condensation in a masterful way. Are you going to do the same?
    A. Clouds/weather are being looked at and is work in progress.

Q9. Are you doing anything with the track recording system so that you can move freely through the recorded track?
    A. There are no plans to change the track recorder for v5.0.

Q10. I understand that getting vehicles to follow roads and cross bridges has so far been an intractable problem. Will having new roads and bridges on a new map make it any easier to solve?
    A. We have spent some time getting the original developers map making toolset to compile and execute without instability issues. This particular issue lies within the core of the game engine and is not addressed with the fixes to the toolset.

Air
    Q11. Any chance you will be reworking the pilot image more like the new IL2 offerings?
    A. Not at this time no.

Q12. Is Ju52 possible with transport missions from France or Italy?
    A. No the Ju-52 will not be included.

Q13. Will there be a bomb carrying Beaufighter as well?
    A. Yes, as shown in the September update. The 250lb and 500lb bomb racks for the Mk1C have been completed.

Q14. Were you considering making fully clickable cockpit like in DCS? Where you can click on every button and start a plane in realistic way?
    A. At the moment clickable buttons and moveable controls will be limited to those which are required for inflight operation.

Q15. How much of the Wellington's cockpit will be selectable / functional?
    As artists, we can add "collision" type boxes to any switch/lever we want to allow a mouse click to operate it, as long as we set each pivot point and note how far/what angle that object should move. That is the easier part but is time consuming. Then the developers have to code in the mouse over text for each object as part of the import process to make it actually animate. This is a lot of work. Then those systems have to be integrated with the functionality they link to, e.g. to make sure that switch X actually does what switch X is supposed to do.

Everything is dependent on time. For instance, if the team get the formation/nav/landing lights corrected in game, then they have to go through each cockpit and add (if missing) the boxes and pivots, then the developers have to do their work... and so on. In short, we plan for the Wellington to have the same amount of interactive cockpits as existing aircraft, e.g. to match the systems which are already modelled in game.

Q16. Will anything be done with the implementation of Force Feedback (FFB) joysticks?
    A. FFB can be adjusted in the operating system. We are looking at the possibility to dial down some effects.

Q17. One of the current real issues that makes the day sky and night sky look so bad is the banding. Are you doing anything about it?
    A. Short answer is no. Longer answer is that weather will address cloudless skies and this is an are that is being looked at.

Sea
    Q18. Will we see actual sea battles? Or ships will just swim around and wait for players to attack them. Or maybe it will be done more realistic with U-Boats swimming around and sinking some ships?
    A. Ships will exchange fire if they come into contact with each other and we are looking at changing some of the ship and vehicle routines on engaging in combat.

Q19. Why are you spending effort building ships that never passed the Straits of Gibraltar? You need aircraft carriers as well... noting that there are no current combat WW2 flight sims that have carrier ops and that would be a real point of difference, a commercial game changer in fact.
    A. Our focus in TF 5.0 is Libya and Egypt in 1940-41. The German ships are included in case players wanted to simulate an Operation Sea Lion/Seelowe type of mission on the Channel map in 1940 and represent the types which might have been available. The Royal Navy ships represent the types which were generally available in 1940 at the time of a potential invasion as well as 1940 and 1941 off the Libyan and Egyptian coasts. There were no significant Carrier Ops off the coast of Libya and Egypt so Carriers are not included. The Regia Marina committed very few ships to the Libya area... because they had suffered large defeats at Taranto and Cape Matapan. We have included some Italian types typical of convoy missions and one Heavy Cruiser for some variety. Most of the naval action was in the way of shore bombardment, convoys to and from the ports or harbour defence. We are including a rich variety of models to flesh out the environment as much as we can. There are also much bigger plans, and TFS members, understanding the greater context would rather be productive than idle. In the September update we did say that we would want to introduce Carriers in v6.0.

Q20. With all those ships are you going to add ways to sink them? Any updates on torpedoes for example?
    A. We had mentioned previously there would be no torpedoes for the Beaufighter IC in TF 5.0 as we cannot confirm their use at this point. The following aircraft will however have torpedoes in TF 5.0: (as an option in addition to various bombs)

- Heinkel He-111H-6 (dual)
    - Wellington IC (dual)
    - Wellington IC will also have many additional bombs added to those present in the original game, including 1000 lb General Purpose and 2000 lb Armour Piercing types.

We will also introduce depth charges for various types. The He-115 (AI) will of course, continue to use torpedoes. The German Dive Bomber types will also be effective versus ships as will the Fighter-Bomber types. Players will need to be cautious getting near enemy ships though. AAA will be historical and a single aircraft attacking one of the larger types could be considered as a suicide mission. Teams of aircraft attacking will have much better chances of success.

Q21. With those German capital ships, what you really need is a Fairy Swordfish isn't it?
    A. The Fairey Swordfish is a potential addition in later expansions... but was not really active off Libya and Egypt in 1940-41. It is on the list for v6.0. As always, whether we get to do it depends on all of you.

Well I think that is enough for this year so I would like to close this post with a couple of videos and a huge thank you to all of you who continue to support the team and provide us with questions and feedback. The first video is a regular update video but with a bit of a Christmas theme to it. The second is demonstration video which features the Dewoitine D.520 - so that you can see the cockpit work in progress.

Please Note: The second video has an error in the cockpit which will be corrected in the final version.

We wish you all a very merry and peaceful Christmas, and we look forward to the coming months where we can share even more of the incredibly exciting things that are in development as we push forward for a public release of v5.0. Happy New Year everybody.

For and on behalf of Team Fusion Simulations,

Bonkin.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-12-2019 at 17:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Re: TFS Developer Update – December 2018

Thank you for the update! Love the look of the Tomahawk!

One of the questions asked about the roads and splines and vehicles following them and crossing bridges. You mentioned it was a core engine problem..will this still be the case for the new map?

The 520 Dewo looks amazing, and those cannons have a bite.

Load outs for the Welly looks lethal..A question on depth charges..If the water is 2d, whats the purpose of having them modeled in game? Ive always hoped it would be made 3D so that subs could submerge. (personal dream and wish list..haha)

Lastly...the bomb explosion effects look A LOT better! nice blast radius along with a expulsion of ground debris and upward projectiles.

Thanks for sharing Bonkin and TFS! Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!

Awesome work by all!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

3. Likes farley, ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    491.75 MB

Excellent work, thank you for the update, Bonkin, looks great! Thank you for the hard work TFS. I wish you all a very merry and blessed festive season. Rest well, see you in 2019.

"A chap could bend a Spitfire with one finger" Wing Commander Tom Neil.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

[QUOTE=Bonkin;325806]

There are things going on (which I can only tell you about in the new year), which have got many of us, myself included, extremely excited.

On the whole, the project maturity is a little short of where it was predicted to be at this point in time,

[QUOTE]

Thanks for the update Bonkin. Interesting read and a couple of really good videos.

I do wonder if it's a good idea to role out the "we've got great stuff lined up but we're not going to tell you about it" routine and then tell us that release date is now not quite as soon as has been previously hinted at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What an unexpected but even more appreciated Christmas present - thanks a lot!

7. Likes Silent135 liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Very good update Bonkin but..

Mirroring what others have said here and on other related threads: with no hint of a timeline the 'good things are coming' talk is starting to get..old? I was reading a thread the other day that said something like 'sooner than you think' but I believe that was back in July sometime (I'm guessing, not sure who said it) Now we're heading into 2019 and still no timeframe to look forward to..

I understand not wanting to share dates and please understand this (and the questions from others regarding dates) comes from a positive place - we can't wait to have 5.0 in our hands - but as a DEFINITE customer when it does come out it can get a bit frustrating.

Happy Holidays to TFS and all the other pilots who continue to fly/support CLOD.

9. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Another great update, Bonkin! Thanks to you and all the Team at TFS! Merry Christmas to you and yours! It's going to be a brilliant 'Cliffs' New Year! Salute!

11. Likes ATAG_Jerry, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Stuffed with food, visitors just gone, all presents unwrapped and kids still not in bed ... and then another Update!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm going to translate immediately!

Thanks and S!

DerDa

But first I watch the vids

13. Likes Ceaser87, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Great stuff. Im strangely excited about the Welly and torpedoes. Flew a Middle East torpedo Beau campaign in the old il-2 way back when and it was great fun and very satisfying to hit ships with the torp. Hopefully will be the same with the Welly.

Thanks Bonkin and TFS.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Sure looking forward to this stuff that's extremely exciting Loved this update Bonkin

16. Likes ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Nice update, thanks Bonkin.

There's some top work going on with the models and the cockpits... you guys really are cracking on. Here's hoping that 2019 takes us to sunnier climes!

Supporting Member Ojisan_Mjoelner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    163.3 KB

Very nice, ty!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Love to read about the progress 5.0 is making!

Especially since the next Update is going to offer much more in the SP front

Regarding that I'm still full of questions - in spite of your regular updates:

1st
    Very excited about AI improvements. In what ways has it been successfully altered at this stage?

2nd
    Dynamic campaigns sound great. Will there only be campaigns for Africa or for the channel front as well?

3rd
    Is it planned to have working SP loadouts in 5.0?

Merry Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenfaust View Post
    Love to read about the progress 5.0 is making!

Especially since the next Update is going to offer much more in the SP front

Regarding that I'm still full of questions - in spite of your regular updates:

1st
    Very excited about AI improvements. In what ways has it been successfully altered at this stage?

2nd
    Dynamic campaigns sound great. Will there only be campaigns for Africa or for the channel front as well?

3rd
    Is it planned to have working SP loadouts in 5.0?

Merry Christmas!
    Regarding AI update. I cant tell too much except that on Veteran and Ace level they will shoot you down as they now hit when shooting!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Thanks for the update and a Merry Christmas to you all.

Echoing others, I do hope you can fix the vehicles on roads, or a workaround as it makes online campaigns much more interesting with grounds target advancing towards targets. In fact anything that helps in supporting and creating dynamic online wars will drag back many players. Flying SOW for 4 years and years in SEOW campaigns, even good old Bellum wars were the nirvana of flying imho.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/19SqnEAF/Swoop2_zpse8a8986a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

One thing I'd really like to see is a new example of the grid map

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thank you Bonks and TFS...Merry Christmas and happy new Year to you guys...

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    328.74 MB

I heard.......Swordfish.........6.0.......... O_O

Where's the donate button????

xD
    Best part was reading that, good couple of years down the road but....man that would be incredible. How many sims or even military aviation books actually recognize the old String Bag?

Awesome work on the update as always chaps! Keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    618.90 MB

Red face Re: TFS Developer Update – December 2018

Thanks TFS,

as french pilot , i am so happy to see the Dewoitine 520 ...

Happy new year all

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Anything coming downtown the old update pipeline?
    Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    Anything coming downtown the old update pipeline?
    Don't forget we had a update Jan 11th.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post326816

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Ahh my bad..this has been a busy month for me..I should have checked the date on that. Seems like it's been longer..lol Thanks Yo!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64

By ATAG_Lewis