Thread: JU88 Prop Pitch Wonky

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    294.72 MB

JU88 Prop Pitch Wonky

Have been back a few days and was playing around with the 88. I noted while flying over the channel and watching my ATA and throttle, that for no reason, both jumped from a safe position below the green line all the way to max. Rads pop before I could roll the pitch and throttle back. This has happened to me twice now. Anybody else getting this glitch?

BTW, conditions were:

Level flight
    Mode 22 cruising for approx 2 min
    PooF, sudden jump in both.

Bomber geeks watch that kind of stuff in hopes of making it to target.
    Last edited by InvaderZim; Dec-29-2018 at 21:00.

2. Likes tgif, Rostic liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Re: JU88 Prop Pitch Wonky

Quote Originally Posted by InvaderZim View Post
    Have been back a few days and was playing around with the 88. I noted while flying over the channel and watching my ATA and throttle, that for no reason, both jumped from a safe position below the green line all the way to max. Rads pop before I could roll the pitch and throttle back. This has happened to me twice now. Anybody else getting this glitch?

BTW, conditions were:

Level flight
    Mode 22 cruising for approx 2 min
    PooF, sudden jump in both.

Bomber geeks watch that kind of stuff in hopes of making it to target.
    This is a guess but if you have your turbo charger on it seems like it kicks in at about 2k . if your not careful and blink then the prop pitch and rpm go up and presto you cook engine
    so if your at 1.8k put comprerssor to 100% nothing happens you start not thinking about it and at 2000 things go up fast and damage . Also you say level flight in mode 22 when ever I go to 22 it never levels anymore you just slowly head down also over reving engine a little more . I used to fly around and look out window and see things now I can only get to look at prop pitch gauges . When I try to hop in back and shoot gun the prop pitch goes up very quick and I wreck engine . The prop pitch is really sensitive to things and if I blink trouble comes

4. Likes Rostic, InvaderZim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The Jumo 211 engine in the Ju-88 has a two speed supercharger.... which shifts automatically.

If you look at the boost/hp levels on the output chart for the engine, you will see power in the low gear peaks, then drops... till the high gear kicks in... at which point power rises again.

Because the Ju-88 pitch control is not a constant speed, the extra power delivered will increase rpms and if you have set the throttles too high to compensate for the low gear power fall off, you will get the engine over-revving and over-heating.

Requires you to watch the boost levels between the shift ranges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

First. Sorry for my English, but it is not my native language.

OK, may be I can tell something useful in case of my experience of using Ju 88 in BLITZ 4.53

1) On Ju88 by default superacharger automatically switch to second stage at altitude above 2400m-2600m, and switch off below this altitude. So you have to be careful when climbing, start look for engine manifold pressure (ATA) from 2000-2300m.

2) Climb with autopilot switched on in mode - course. Do not switch to mode 22, just in moment when you have reached bombing altitude. First, start trimming your airplane to horizontal flight (if you fly with friend in formation, it will be better when leading plain lower down his flaps, just little bit before to start trimming). Check artificial horizon - to fly in horizon. Check variometer - to fly without climbing or diving. Also check airplane instrumental air speed - you must reach usual speed value that your plane fly in mode 22 for certain altitude (try it once and remember or write to notepad). When this done, then switch to mode 22, and lose of altitude and speed change will be minimal.
    In usual I start this procedure at least 50km before target.

3) Horizontal level bombing on Ju88 works ULTRA VERY BAD because of wrong scope orientation. I cannot believe that bombing scope can be in fixed view orientation and pointed not to the ground, but to that point where plain oriented. However, in game we have what we have, so the only target for horizontal bombing on Ju88 is VERY BIG targets, like airfield or big area for any wind condition. In addition, it is possible to bomb radar or other long but narrow targets in NO WIND condition or when wind blow from head of plane or from behind. That is because, you cannot compensate slip angle with bombing scope on Ju88 when wind blow from left or right side of your airplane.

In this game, for horizontal bombing it is better to use He111. Blenny or BR20 is fun too, but you cannot take so many bombs, as with Ju88 or He111. But Ju88 is very effective diving bomber with many bombs, that is why it is very popular plane online for match win.
    Last edited by Rostic; Dec-31-2018 at 06:37.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb
    Monitor: DELL P2717H (1920x1080:60Hz)
    Joystick: Android smartphone MonectPC app (virtual joystick driver)
    Hadtracker: Track IR 4 / No VR

Enjoy multiplayer historical campaigns with Flying Tin Cans.
    Join us: https://flyingtincans.com —(•)— Discord —(•)— YouTube

7. Likes tgif, InvaderZim liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rostic View Post
    First. Sorry for my English, but it is not my native language.

OK, may be I can tell something useful in case of my experience of using Ju 88 in BLITZ 4.53

1) On Ju88 by default superacharger automatically switch to second stage at altitude above 2500m-2600m, and switch off below this altitude. So you have to be careful when climbing, start look for engine manifold pressure (ATA) from 2000-2300m.

2) Climb with autopilot switched on in mode - course. Do not switch to mode 22, just in moment when you have reached bombing altitude. First, start trimming your airplane to horizontal flight (if you fly with friend in formation, it will be better when leading plain lower down his flaps, just little bit before to start trimming). Check artificial horizon - to fly in horizon. Check variometer - to fly without climbing or diving. Also check airplane instrumental air speed - you must reach usual speed value that your plane fly in mode 22 for certain altitude (try it once and remember or write to notepad). When this done, then switch to mode 22, and lose of altitude and speed change will be minimal.
    In usual I start this procedure at least 50km before target.

3) Horizontal level bombing on Ju88 works ULTRA VERY BAD because of wrong scope orientation. I cannot believe that bombing scope can be in fixed view orientation and pointed not to the ground, but to that point where plain oriented. However, in game we have what we have, so the only target for horizontal bombing on Ju88 is VERY BIG targets, like airfield or big area for any wind condition. In addition, it is possible to bomb radar or other long but narrow targets in NO WIND condition or when wind blow from head of plane or from behind. That is because, you cannot compensate slip angle with bombing scope on Ju88 when wind blow from left or right side of your airplane.

In this game, for horizontal bombing it is better to use He111. Blenny or BR20 is fun too, but you cannot take so many bombs, as with Ju88 or He111. But Ju88 is very effective diving bomber with many bombs, that is why it is very popular plane online for match win.
    I also use level bombing for just air fields and big targets . I think it is harder to hit a small target like a bridge or ship because I cant work out wind corrections . for a while there was an Atag practice server for practicing ship bombing and it was very very had to hit a ship from 2 or 3k mostly luck for me . other small targets seem just the same . I skip bomb all my ships now 300 k ph 50 to 100 alt and drop pretty close. I did not know I had a 2 speed turbo charger I was always going on a 1 speed assumption but I cant tell very well at what altitude it changes at does this mean it is changing based on RPM speed ? or altitude . I think the changes made to it around Blitz time made it harder to fly . Longer time to reach maximum speed ,and its so sensitive to the prop changes I almost wish I had a human tail gunner and bombardier there really is a big work load on a bomber pilot but that's just the nature of it
    I don't care too much about that I just wish that for every 10 missions in a fighter you HAD to fly a bomber mission so the bombers got more help . the blues are almost always short bombers . Now of course I am biased but really who couldn't love bombing heheheh Ps another problem with bombing small targets is they just don't render fast enough to set up for them . you are past them before you see them , I suppose that's computers and video card speeds don't know . ~S ( by the way your English is quite good don't worry)
    Last edited by tgif; Dec-30-2018 at 12:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Check this topic about ground targets visibility
    https://translate.google.com/transla...1%23post317961

Google translate breaking all links to files, so to use external link look original topic here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=29505
    Last edited by Rostic; Dec-30-2018 at 12:27.
    PC spec: Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7Ghz, DDR4 32Gb 2666Mhz, Asus Prime Z370-A, ADATA XPG SX8200 240Gb (PCIe Gen3x4), RTX 2060 6Gb

10. Likes InvaderZim, Gingerbread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    294.72 MB

Wow, still an incredible bunch, thanks for all the quick reply's. Got it. Thanks all.

12. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Soldat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

You can manually place the scope in any orientation (don't recall the key binding at the moment) but I usually drop the scope down manually until around 50 deg and then start automation.

For bombing in the wind: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=wind+bombing post #2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Torric270 View Post
    You can manually place the scope in any orientation (don't recall the key binding at the moment) but I usually drop the scope down manually until around 50 deg and then start automation.

For bombing in the wind: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=wind+bombing post #2
    No, on Ju88 the only one thing you can do - it is increase/decrease angle of view ahead of plane. But you cannot change angle for side slip (change angle of view to the left or to the right). Actually when I'm pressing the keys, game output info that slip side angle changed, but view not changing, and that is the problem.

The only bombers where input of slip side angle working is: He111, Blenheim and BR20.
    Last edited by Rostic; Dec-31-2018 at 06:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Actually we can speak about bombing technics in another topic.
    I just uploaded my navigating and bombing tool here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post326220

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

No, on Ju88 the only one thing you can do - it is increase/decrease angle of view ahead of plane. But you cannot change angle for side slip (change angle of view to the left or to the right). Actually when I'm pressing the keys, game output info that slip side angle changed, but view not changing, and that is the problem.

The only bombers where input of slip side angle working is: He111, Blenheim and BR20.
    My misunderstanding. I thought you were saying there was no up/down. Yes, you can side slip a 111 scope, but I would not trust it for wind use, only looking around.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

I noticed you can go left and right in the battle of Stalingrad format on that ju 88, which I believe is a A4 . That was new for me I know I can make a side slip adj in CLOD but no visual clue when I do it

PS Hello MR.Torric long time since I saw you !!

TGIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    I noticed you can go left and right in the battle of Stalingrad format on that ju 88, which I believe is a A4 . That was new for me I know I can make a side slip adj in CLOD but no visual clue when I do it

PS Hello MR.Torric long time since I saw you !!

TGIF
    Luthier's team removed 88 left/right in one of their patches, but you still get the text for it. I don't know if was on purpose to represent an earlier bombsight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Torric270 View Post
    ... Yes, you can side slip a 111 scope, but I would not trust it for wind use, only looking around.
    Better trust it. I had done many test and it works just perfect for the airplane side slip.

But for falling bombs it is double (Is it BUG or feature?). I mean if you had sinchronized you side slip in scope by ground and got 5 degree side sleep, then falling boms will have 10 degree side sleep.
    So what I do with this trouble. I navigate my plane with measured side sleep, for example +5dgr, and when it is 10-15km left to the target I set to scope double side sleep (+10drg) and turn plane trying to have target moving through the vertical line of bomb scope, until it is time to release bombs.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Better trust it. I had done many test and it works just perfect for the airplane side slip.

But for falling bombs it is double (Is it BUG or feature?). I mean if you had sinchronized you side slip in scope by ground and got 5 degree side sleep, then falling boms will have 10 degree side sleep.
    So what I do with this trouble. I navigate my plane with measured side sleep, for example +5dgr, and when it is 10-15km left to the target I set to scope double side sleep (+10drg) and turn plane trying to have target moving through the vertical line of bomb scope, until it is time to release bombs.

I think it is quite interesting that Invader Zims small Question lead us to all this information. I have a lot of fun with this game and I have a learned a lot of things about the work that was done in real life and here by people to make things work . When you start out you think your just going to drop something from a given height and that's it, but to do it properly takes a lot of good work . I never thought playing this game would spread my thinking to 10 time zones and 2 or three languages and European geography and a thousand other things . this forum is like having a specialized wikapedia just for me . I am hardly a bomber at all compared to some of you people , I would have studied physics a little harder if I d have known I was going to meet all you people here !!

21. Likes Gingerbread, Rostic liked this post