Thread: CoD skins must they be speckled rather than solid single value rgb colour ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

CoD skins must they be speckled rather than solid single value rgb colour ?

Hi,
    Can someone help me with the following behaviour...pleeeeeese !
    I see I have tried to explain this impass already, forgot that when creating this post, but I hope to make it clearer this time.
    I have tried a load of single value rgb mixes for rlm70 and 71 and none are anygood.
    I have a skin I have obtained that I am happy with the rlm 70 71 colours, darkened them a bit and better for my needs, viewed up close they are formed of subtle different shades of the green as individual pixels or patches of the same pixel a few pixels big at most.
    How this is done I would like to know. can someone please tell me.
    If I fly them as an 'average' rgb value they change colour.

Anyhow, in photoshop, and no doubt other progs, normally a brush lays down a 'solid' colour, by that I mean a single rgb value colour.
    I need to be doing some spraying mottling, so I need a single rgb colour as the spray tool requires such.

To establish this rgb value for my area of speckled rlm70 for example, one could set pipette to average an area, there is a danger it brings in an adjacent colour, or panel line or rivet etc.
    To avoid such errors I select carefully an area devoid of such and clone a few times if need be and merge, then crop to get just that colour and then blur until rgb values dont change when running tool across the image. That is my rgb solid value. To double check I compare it to the speckle and zoomed out they look the same. I pipette it and start using my paintbrush.

I then test fly the painted skin and the colour I get, SHOCK HORROR .. is different from the speckled skin. see images. Its no longer my chosen dk green rlm70 but brown.

CoD seems to need this speckled version to behave ! One cannot spray a speckled colour.

Are skinners making this speckly version of a solid colour for a reason, maybe because CoD then displays colour as wished for ?

The only tool I know that will paint a patterned colour is the rubber stamp tool but it doesnt spray.

Are you guys using a single rgb value then speckling it up ? How do you turn a single value rgb colour into these subtle pixel variations ?

Every skin I look at has a speckled colour, not solid.

I am unable to skin until I get help on this quirk of CoD. Unless I rubber stamp the patterned colour, but come on, when mottling we use an airbrush tool ? with a solid rgb colour.
    the test flight has the fwd part of wing, tailplane and upper part of fin/rudder in 71, lowers in 70. solid rgb sees 70 go brown and rendering it useless to me.
    Cannot go skinning until I know how to get past this problem.
    BOBC
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have opened KeefyBoys ju88 template, turned off the speckly panel line grime layer, rlm70 and 71 are now a single rgb value each, (smooth/solid call it what you will) made a skin and also then made one with the speckly grime layer on,
    here again we see the smooth colour version goes brown, further evidence that CoD needs speckle to behave itself. How is this speckle done ?
    [IMG][/IMG]

CoD cant keep to the hue without it.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jan-09-2019 at 17:31.